This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Andrea Luparelli, Rome

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, November 15, 2010

On the Street....Andrea Luparelli, Rome

I love the silhouette of his coat, that nipped-in waist is perfect.

I think most of us (men and women) make the mistake of buying our outwear too oversized.

Comments on "On the Street....Andrea Luparelli, Rome"

 

Blogger Nube said ... (4:25 PM) : 

Soooo perfect, soooo Italian to me.
N.

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (4:26 PM) : 

Beautiful color too!

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:29 PM) : 

It's amazing how you always seem to take pictures of people and settings that I thought only existed in my dreams. The feeling of your photographs is of a lost era that suddenly appears not so lost. Thank you for giving me that old world feeling every day!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:29 PM) : 

so true, but thats the fault of the industry.. try finding affordable slim outerwear with long enough sleeves, it's practically impossible

 

Blogger CINCHED AT THE WAIST said ... (4:29 PM) : 

I'll have a bluuuuue Christmas!

and his socks, such great hues in this ensemble!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:30 PM) : 

so true, but thats the fault of the industry.. try finding affordable slim outerwear with long enough sleeves, it's practically impossible

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:30 PM) : 

any suggestions on fitted coats fr tall men w/ long arms..so tired of oversized down coats

 

Blogger Michelle Bobb-Parris said ... (4:33 PM) : 

Agreed. That said, there are some (women) on the other end of the scale who buy their outerwear too small. Whether it is for vanity's sake (smaller sizes flatter the ego) or they don't take into account heavier cold-weather fabrics, coats that are a little too snug are never flattering.

This gentleman obviously understands outerwear sizing, and bravo to him.

Michelle

whoisbobbparris.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:34 PM) : 

Couldn't agree with you more Scott, including myself, but I like to think I have started to make a departure from that loose loose style.

But I will say, Americans, paticularly men have a tendency to go loose in an effort to seek comfort of wearing fine clothing....and that is not limited to outerwear ...its sports jackets, suit and especially dress shirts.

Thanks as always for these inspirational photos and thought provoking too.

 

Blogger Avery Styles said ... (4:34 PM) : 

you are so right, most people do purchase outerwear way too large. I LOVE a fitted jacket/coat.

 

Blogger the nyanzi report said ... (4:35 PM) : 

definately italian. excellent silhouette.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:36 PM) : 

not in sweden. here everybody has outwear too tight over the shoulders. looks awful

 

Blogger TresLunas said ... (4:38 PM) : 

too chic and cute...i like it!

http://moonsandme.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger JustNorman said ... (4:39 PM) : 

damn those pants are gnarly. GOTTA HAVE IT.

Oh, throw in the socks too.

JUSTNORMAN
JUSTNORMAN

 

Blogger dolceedamara said ... (4:44 PM) : 

It is not surprise, Italians are to me the best dressed nation!

www.dolceedamara.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:45 PM) : 

Where are you going next?!
and BEAUTIFUL trousers!

mademoiselle xo
//imperfectitem.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Siru said ... (4:55 PM) : 

I love his blue coat!

juliet xxx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:56 PM) : 

Very true.

But of course we can always have it altered by Ripense..

(Well, not always maybe)

That's indeed a perfect coat.

 

Blogger namita said ... (4:59 PM) : 

such a regal colour! I totally agree re: the nipped in waist.
I also love the turnups on the trousers!

http://a-fashion-fixation.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:02 PM) : 

Mon oncle?

Laura

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:19 PM) : 

Low profile and sober :)
I love the combination of the colors from his coat to the shoes!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:55 PM) : 

Hahaha Bellissimo Andrea !
I was waiting for that one...

Se vedemo a Pariggi

Paul

 

Blogger HStrang said ... (6:02 PM) : 

It's stunning!

How do we avoid buying outerwear slightly oversized? Tips to the masses? Do tell!

-Heather
http://retaildesigndiva.blogs.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:12 PM) : 

He looks smart. I think that is the best word I can think of to describe him right now.

 

Anonymous Erlend said ... (6:20 PM) : 

fantastic!

 

Blogger ScottO said ... (6:22 PM) : 

I love the purple socks, but I would feel self-conscious showing them while standing. Plus my ankles would get cold!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:25 PM) : 

I love his hat and coat!

http://vicissitudinilombarde.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger My Heart Blogged said ... (6:26 PM) : 

Those socks are perfection. It is the slightest detail but I'm in love with them.

My Heart Blogged- Fashion Blog

 

Blogger Rafael Franco said ... (7:16 PM) : 

AMAZING COAT!But I didn't like the hat.


kisses from Brazil*



http://neopopculture.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:20 PM) : 

yes--mon oncle~ I thought of Jacques Tati, too. He must be going for that very look. Almost as adorable as the original.

 

Blogger Captivated said ... (7:23 PM) : 

His coat is perfect! he wears it well!

 

Anonymous Red Red said ... (7:24 PM) : 

You speak the truth Scott, but how do you accommodate for the sweaters and suit jackets often needed for the northern climates?

 

Blogger Rosaspina Vintage said ... (7:24 PM) : 

I love that coat+hat combination!

 

Anonymous Commefraiche said ... (7:55 PM) : 

Like everything except the hat. Perhaps a darker color would have been better.

 

Blogger Κάλαθο said ... (8:12 PM) : 

Tres Chic!

www.stonkalatho.blogspot.com

 

Blogger le cid said ... (8:29 PM) : 

Elegante...

 

Blogger caribbelle said ... (8:36 PM) : 

You may be right, I guess we associate bulk with warmth. I like the raindrops that are still sitting on the wool!

 

Blogger Jasmin said ... (8:47 PM) : 

c'est la classe! great photo!

http://unefilleunreve.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous olafgermany said ... (9:00 PM) : 

I agree absolutely, a heavier man in an oversized shirt/coat looks much more heavier then in a slim fit shirt/coat...and his look is gorgeous.

 

Blogger Biaa said ... (9:48 PM) : 

I agree with your comment, I think most of us do buy outerwear a size too large. And in noticing that in myself, I've started buying coats in a more fitted size. The difference is spectacular!

I also love his socks!! They are purple and navy striped socks, and they are amazing :)


http://quoi-jenesais.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Francesca Robertson said ... (10:32 PM) : 

i agree the coat is perfect.

xoxo,
F
Le Kiss Kiss- Click Here!

 

Blogger my.amalgam said ... (10:52 PM) : 

agreed! usually the nipped-in waist can look very feminine, but he pulls it off

www.myamalgam.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous emily said ... (10:55 PM) : 

The real problem from my eyes (a resident of cold and wintry climes) is that any outerwear that may be both attractive and affordable is inevitably not warm enough...hence buying larger sizes to layer

 

Blogger Kaylyn said ... (10:57 PM) : 

Love his hat! Puts the entire look together.

 

Anonymous Sarah said ... (11:06 PM) : 

I agree!!! I've always wanted a finely tailored look at all times. But so many people recommend buying outerwear larger than your usual size...I guess it's in anticipation of lots of layers? I've never felt like buying a size above is necessary though. So I stick to my true size, and it's working so far! :)

 

Blogger Frozen Fashion said ... (1:08 AM) : 

Yep I am guilty of buying outerwear too big. The blue really stands out and his strong stance says alot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 AM) : 

those pants are perfect

 

Anonymous Andrea Luparelli said ... (1:36 AM) : 

Grazie Scott, finalmente Sartorialist

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (1:44 AM) : 

About the oversized bit, I don't fully agree with you because when you go to Scandinavia...the oversized outwear is totally the thing out there. If you check out the streetwear pictures of Denmark, some girls are wearing gorgeous oversized coats which will make the Swedish girls jealous.

 

Blogger cassiecle said ... (1:57 AM) : 

you clearly don't live in chicago.

 

Blogger Arantxa Chavarria said ... (2:03 AM) : 

love the color but to me it looks like a women's coat... is it only me? amazing style though




http://sweetlittleconfessions.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Rumyana said ... (2:36 AM) : 

Oh yeah! Although sometimes it's not only the size but the cut of the coat and how it fits to the body... this one fits perfect! Great!


Rumyana
http://miasmasquerade.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous gucci online shop said ... (2:44 AM) : 

reading your post and i do believe you are born to be a fashion blogger.

 

Anonymous Middleseason said ... (3:06 AM) : 

Yes I agree with you. The coat must be fit. With vintage coat is easier: they are so slim.

 

Blogger Yevgeniya Yelkina said ... (3:21 AM) : 

perfection!

http://hypnoticfascination.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:45 AM) : 

I love the over sized look. But I love the fitted look too. And I also love his purple socks xxx
http://reallyliteral.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:17 AM) : 

that is a perfect coat and i just loved the slightly shorter pants

http://elenavasilieva.blogspot.com/
x

 

Blogger Miss DeltaG said ... (4:22 AM) : 

love this coat!

Neovecchiostile
www.neovecchiostile.it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:30 AM) : 

nope totally wrong he looks like he shrank in the wash!

 

Blogger Tara s Dolce Vita said ... (4:51 AM) : 

As Italian as it gets!

http://tarasdolcevita.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Bib-banana said ... (4:52 AM) : 

The bottom half - I laugh! My dad wears his pants (wide legged though!) grazing his ankles, and I always thought it was so uncool. But here, they're narrower, folded up, and show off purple socks. Insouciance?! Power to him! I must not be so narrow-minded: boldness & originality (in French, is it "je n' sais qoi"?) is a gift!

 

Anonymous Julia said ... (5:01 AM) : 

I agree with you; for me it's so difficult to find ourwear not etralarge....
I love his coat,the blue colour is so particular

 

Blogger TheStreetFashion5xpro said ... (5:02 AM) : 

great class...love the blue coat

 

Anonymous Lee Oliveira said ... (5:51 AM) : 

Great coat.. he looks one of those Europeans spy
LOx
http://leeoliveira.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:02 AM) : 

Slim fitting cuts are hard to find.... Is beacuse a lot of men are afraid to appear to tailored or do not understand when somethiung isa tailored it can make you look better proportionally than hefting on a sack...
For a slim fitting coats with amazing cuts try and get your hands on jackets by Ato Matsumoto. Divine but hard to get hopld of unless you're in Japan.

 

Blogger Liv said ... (6:34 AM) : 

because one thinks bigger is warmer...but a more slim silhouette is so much nicer!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:50 AM) : 

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What stunning colors and silhouette. Wish I could see more photos of this gentleman.

 

Blogger Sover said ... (6:58 AM) : 

I like his hat and violet socks. As for me its perfect man style. I write about it just yesterday. :)
http://moodforfashion.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous PeterC said ... (7:06 AM) : 

I love your site Scott, but I don't agree with your theme of 'oversized' outerwear/jackets/pants... when I wear a coat, I (still) like to wrap myself up, despite all you've taught me.
Yep he looks great... the architecture helps.

 

Blogger Katherine said ... (7:18 AM) : 

He is perfection!


http://www.lapetitemarmoset.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Nath Liban said ... (7:41 AM) : 

Amazing look!

www.ladynblogspot.blogspot.com

 

Blogger CZYTAJ Z UST said ... (7:45 AM) : 

Buying to oversized outwear isn't the worst thing we do. To small coat is worse.

 

Anonymous veronica said ... (8:24 AM) : 

adorei !

 

Blogger Pimpinett said ... (8:32 AM) : 

Outerwear fit and size is tricky. Men over, say 40 often wear their outer garments far too large, and I see a lot of younger men and women in too-tight coats. That's especially noticeable in a cold climate, where people bundle up in several layers come winter.

This is perfect, though.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:50 AM) : 

Lvoe the dark violet socks and the matching of them with the shoes....So strange and beautiful!!

http://fashiondoesntexist.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Tonio said ... (9:06 AM) : 

Wow, he is such a gentleman.
Love the purple socks!!

THELOVELYSANDOTBLOGSPOTDOTCOM

Everyone is invited to THE LOVELY SAN!!!

 

Anonymous Hazel said ... (9:06 AM) : 

I thought this was a YOUNG Harry Dean Stanton for a second.

 

Anonymous blog mode said ... (9:14 AM) : 

this man got style!

 

Anonymous Charles-Deji Juba said ... (9:15 AM) : 

Ah Andrea is a cool guy,
I met him when i was in Rome, his store, Sartorio ripense, is like an aladdin's cave of fine tailoring.

 

Blogger UESman said ... (9:19 AM) : 

I agree with what some people are saying. A small coat looks waaay worse than an oversized one.
That said, This guy's coat looks very good. I'd like to know if he's got a sportcoat under there.

But the goodness all ends at the hemline of his coat....what the hell is up with those super-tight trousers? They could use a bit of elastic at the bottom to go around the bottom of the foot and keep them from riding up!

 

Anonymous IS THIS IT? models review said ... (10:07 AM) : 

I absolutely agree, too many oversizes around!

http://www.isthisitmodelsreview.com/

 

Blogger k baergen said ... (10:28 AM) : 

agreed. outerwear should fit you like a glove (which doesn't mean tight & unbreathable). besides clothes that fit properly are more efficient in their purpose: i.e. keeping warm, cold, etc.

 

Anonymous Allie said ... (12:26 PM) : 

Great purple socks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:45 PM) : 

Mr Hulot by Jaque Tati!

the resemblance!

 

Blogger Jing Pei said ... (1:55 PM) : 

agreed about oversized outerwear; but I get nervous that I won't be able to fit my layers under something that is too well fitting. :/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:06 PM) : 

Emily is correct. We (Americans) usually do buy outerwear too large, but only for the sake of layering. Not sure what the alternative is unless you think we should only wear our skivvies under coats so we can get a slimmer fit.

 

Anonymous What Should Men Wear said ... (2:09 PM) : 

Besides the fit, the color is also well chosen!

 

Blogger Brummagem Joe said ... (2:49 PM) : 

I agree to some extent about clothing being oversized but I suspect the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction. Coats are too short and too tight, and is three inches of visible sock really elegant?. Trust me their wearers will wince in 20 years time when they look at the photos. The seventies should have cured us of fashion extremes but apparently not.

 

Blogger joy said ... (4:19 PM) : 

I really enjoy the colors here. A hint of purple at the feet and a sharp blue for the coat, wonderful.

JD
iplayfaves.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Fernando said ... (7:41 PM) : 

Sort-trussers mania...but
The color of the coat is perfect.

 

Blogger Magpie said ... (10:59 PM) : 

Scott, thank you so much for talking about oversized coats. I couldn't agree more.

There's a certain charm to it, when it's intentional, part of proportion-play...but it drives me nuts to see so many people walking around in coats which just don't fit. How many sweaters is one going to wear under there, really?

 

Blogger Mathieu said ... (7:40 AM) : 

i agree with you Scott about oversized outwear..


lastoffadimathieu.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Editors at Style Section LA said ... (3:30 PM) : 

nothing like a dandy to brighten up my day!

http://www.stylesectionla.com/area/find/2010/11/12/dragan-mrdja-shoe-guru

 

Anonymous P8 said ... (10:40 PM) : 

This man understands silhouette and really knows how to mix colors. The gloves tucked into the upper coat pocket is a nice touch.

 

Anonymous Markmont said ... (12:30 AM) : 

Perfect cuff.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:46 AM) : 

Apart from the hat this could well be a great outfit for a businessman, too. I am in investment banking and most men just buy clothes too big. lovely pic! it reminds me of a time when it was inmportant to men to dress well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:58 AM) : 

This fascinates me. I wonder what his outfit, beneath the coat, is like.

 

Anonymous Hero said ... (8:22 AM) : 

coat and shoes = perfection

 

Anonymous Sartor Resartus said ... (4:44 PM) : 

Do you need to be tall and thin to pull off those trousers ? I am neither short nor fat but I am not sure I have the balls...

 

Blogger nina said ... (8:54 AM) : 

the first thing i saw were shoes :)) i have weaknes on shoes :)) and i love those :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:17 AM) : 

C'mon, the socks win here. The coat's nice but he should get his hands out of his pockets or he'll stretch them. I often get young men buying women's jackets and coats in my shop and they look simply fantastic! Not at all like they are wearing women's clothing, either.

 

Blogger image4men said ... (6:56 AM) : 

What about those pants in combination with the moccasins. Great choice, great style.

Greetings from Holland.

image4men.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Lee Young said ... (7:11 AM) : 

He's definitely channeling film director Jacques Tati. Check these photos out. Love the look.

Jacques Tati

2

 

Blogger Geisa Lima said ... (9:42 AM) : 

Fantastic!

www.geisavida.blogspot.com

 

Blogger SirScud said ... (6:30 AM) : 

Harry Dean, done did.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting