This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...Bill Cunningham, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

On the Street...Bill Cunningham, New York

Any idea how I can see the new documentary about Bill Cunningham?

Comments on "On the Street...Bill Cunningham, New York"

 

Anonymous Britex said ... (7:14 PM) : 

I love Bill Cunningham, and would adore seeing a documentary about him. He is so funny and dry!

 

Blogger vanya said ... (7:18 PM) : 

http://www.newdirectors.org/2010/bill-cunningham-new-york-2/

 

Blogger mordacai said ... (7:25 PM) : 

such a dandy!!!

 

Blogger birdfeed said ... (7:25 PM) : 

I love this guy.

 

Blogger Sara said ... (7:28 PM) : 

Awesome shot! The documentary isn't out on DVD yet but it'll likely be out in the next year or so. I hate that about documentaries, if you don't catch them in the random theater they are screening in, you miss out for months and months and months. SIGH. :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:37 PM) : 

it's on netflix.

 

Anonymous Elaine said ... (7:37 PM) : 

I first learned about The Sartorialist from Bill Cunningham at the NYTimes. Missed his "On the Street" column on-line for the last 2 weeks - couldn't locate it. So please post more about the documentary.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:38 PM) : 

Oh how I love this man. His "on the street" segments in the Times is the best part of Sunday mornings. He has this infectious joy and wonder and enthusiasm about life and people and style. I just love seeing life through the lens of his camera and his soul. And how elegant he still is ... that special interior elegance that comes from graciousness.

 

Blogger Ame in DC said ... (7:38 PM) : 

Don't know but I LOOOOOVES HIM!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:41 PM) : 

i was lucky enough to see one of the sold out sessions of this documentary at the Melbourne Int Film Festival. The most inspiring and beautiful documentary i've seen in years. (just to rub it in)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:42 PM) : 

If its screened in my tiny provincial town in New Zealand then surely it can't be too difficult to catch somewhere on your side of the world?!

 

Blogger king-bug said ... (7:48 PM) : 

It premiered at the New Directors film festival in March... maybe drop a line to Richard Press.

http://www.newdirectors.org/2010/bill-cunningham-new-york-2/

 

Anonymous Well Done said ... (8:00 PM) : 

wait, what documentary?

 

Blogger Rebecca Kiger said ... (8:02 PM) : 

A much deserved spotlight on a fascinating contributer to the fashion and photography world.

 

Blogger JustNorman said ... (8:04 PM) : 

no one's ever too old.

JUSTNORMAN
JUSTNORMAN

 

Blogger Tess said ... (8:06 PM) : 

I love that he doesn't even bother to get off his bicycle to take the shot... great picture!

check out my post on my 1 WEEK ANNIVERSARY of my blog at

CESTDEMODE.blogspot.com/


T.A.P.S

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:10 PM) : 

Is that a Canon strap I see around his neck?
What happened to the old Nikon?

 

Anonymous enrique said ... (8:18 PM) : 

I thought that the Toronto Film Festival would have been a good premiere for the documentary but no cigar. I look forward to someone's concrete answer.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:33 PM) : 

No, But isn't he great??!!!

 

Blogger Rafael Franco said ... (8:43 PM) : 

I Love it!!!




kisses from Brazil


http://neopopculture.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (8:50 PM) : 

Great shot of him. Gotta love that he is on a bike AND taking photos! Perfect.



www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous tanya said ... (8:52 PM) : 

i work with him and he is as nice as he is talented!!

 

Anonymous Julie H said ... (8:53 PM) : 

Scott, I saw the blog post about the film here http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/behind-38/ in March and bought a ticket for the next available showing. It was definitely worth it. Perhaps this is travelling to musuems around the US or is an upcoming festival selection? I'm sure your connections will enable you to see this film. And I would love to see this film again. Bill Cunningham rocks!

 

Blogger ABOUT XIN LEI said ... (8:56 PM) : 

I love him...I want to know how to see the documentary too!

 

Anonymous Sophie said ... (8:57 PM) : 

Oh this is wonderful! My goal in life is to be snapped on the street by either him or you. I love his narrated slide shows!

 

Blogger Fresh Ivy said ... (9:15 PM) : 

You can rent it on netflix!
Bill Cunningham is wonderful and there is some great information on him in the New York Times archives.

 

Anonymous Noiseless Patient Spider said ... (9:15 PM) : 

Is it already out?

 

Blogger Fresh Ivy said ... (9:17 PM) : 

or you will be able to get it from Netflix soon.

 

Blogger eljovendario said ... (9:23 PM) : 

You know that in my country is almost imposible to see someone important on a bicycle? That´s why I love countries like Holland.

 

Anonymous Lemond1 said ... (9:26 PM) : 

u can watch his documentary on http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010/09/18/style/1248069050418/on-the-street-views.html

All cool release on http://lemond1.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Admin said ... (9:27 PM) : 

Behind the scenes of the Man behind the Camera..

http://www.made-classic.com/

K.Cyrus

 

Blogger marilyn c. cole said ... (9:28 PM) : 

What a shot. This is awesome.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 PM) : 

Bill is a legend. I would like to get my hands on the documentary too.

http://billcunninghamnewyork.com/

maybe one of these guys will get you a copy.

http://billcunninghamnewyork.com/credits.php

Best,

Crispin

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 PM) : 

I've been wondering that myself - no screenings in LA?

 

Anonymous aaryn b. said ... (9:42 PM) : 

BC! My hero...
Fantastic capture, Scott. Were you really just this lucky or were you out working with him?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 PM) : 

Scott, with your credentials, you should be able to call him and ask for a print!!

 

Anonymous Karen said ... (10:04 PM) : 

Love Bill and his feature in the Style Section of the NY Times. It's the only way I can keep tabs on the street styles of New York City. Am delighted that you, Scott, payed homage to him with a photo and ultimately your work!

 

Blogger TheHypeAround... said ... (10:04 PM) : 

Ah yes! Bill Cunningham! The man for whom we owe such a debt of gratitude for his street scenes of NYC fashion. The documentary is in limited release which means you'll be able to see it only in New York

 

Blogger Fionamcindoe.com said ... (10:20 PM) : 

I see Bill every morning on my way to work standing on 5th and 57th.

He is charming and graceful. Don't let his age fool you, he is nimble on his feet and and has an incredible sharp eye.

It's funny watching the reaction of the 5th Avenue ladies when Bill fails to raise his camera when they walk by. Bill shoots according to a specific theme each week and looks past the current trends to focus on true style.

Bill Cunningham IS New York.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:34 PM) : 

Hi Scott! I found it on netflix: It's called "bill Cunningham New York.
GOOD LUCK!
Euciane

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:35 PM) : 

i didn't know there was a documentary. Thanks Scott and thanks Vanya for the link!

 

Blogger lintmag said ... (10:55 PM) : 

Would love to see the doc on this great man! The NYTimes did a huge story on him some years back - I wish they would publish a book of the best of his Sunday Styles photo compilations!

 

Blogger taylor said ... (11:01 PM) : 

my HERO!!


http://gramercyboutique.blogspot.com/

xx

 

Blogger JP said ... (11:40 PM) : 

I say on a bike

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 PM) : 

I saw the documentary at the Nantucket Film Festival, and it was absolutely wonderful. I can't help you find it, but I recommend it completely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:16 AM) : 

You can "save" it on Netflix, but it has an unknown availabilty date.

 

Anonymous Catehrine said ... (12:27 AM) : 

Funny because not easy to take a picture like that! But i would like to see too the nex documentary.

 

Anonymous jimjims said ... (12:34 AM) : 

this guy is classic!

would love to be rocking what he is rocking at that age...

timeless!

gonna wiki this dude right NOW...

http://jimjims.net

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:52 AM) : 

Well, what a pleasant surprise, Mr. Cunningham on a bike! This shot is a nice addition to your series of bike shots.

 

Blogger Arantxa Chavarria said ... (12:54 AM) : 

why do I love your photos so much? =) this one is a great one... the moment was captured really beautifully!



http://sweetlittleconfessions.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger raven said ... (1:07 AM) : 

That's multitasking in style. Great shot of a shot.

xo,
raven

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (1:23 AM) : 

I love that you were able to capture him capturing something.

http://lisapetrarca.blogspot.com/2010/10/first-date-homecoming-dance.html

http://bowlofinspiration.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Bel L said ... (1:59 AM) : 

Scott, we saw the Bill Cunningham documentary at the Sydney Film Festival earlier this year. It's truly fantastic. You'll love it!

 

Anonymous Alicia said ... (2:01 AM) : 

LOVE HIM! Can't wait to find the doc., too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 AM) : 

Love his voice-overs for the NYT slide shows... his joie de vivre is contagious. I hope that, as I get older, I can keep looking on the world as openly and delightedly as he does.

 

Blogger thwany said ... (2:22 AM) : 

such an iconic NYer.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:25 AM) : 

Would really like to see the documentary! Amazing man!!

Vikki

http://stylometre.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous cyd said ... (3:06 AM) : 

I love that he is still around, doing the same thing. I first saw him in 1987, standing on West Broadway. He smiled gently to my friend and I as we passed by. Such a gracious gentleman!

 

Blogger Kim said ... (3:37 AM) : 

Wow, he's still going. I love this man.

 

Blogger Clay Douglass said ... (3:37 AM) : 

Amazing colors - the red, blue, tan, grey. Excellent photo Scott!

Clay Douglass
http://www.google.com/profiles/claydouglass

 

Anonymous choi said ... (3:49 AM) : 

Go to Abu Dhabi!!
They're showing a documentary about him at the Abu Dhabi Film Festival this week.

 

Blogger Isabelle said ... (4:02 AM) : 

ahh he looooves that blue jacket! spotted him at FIT exhibit in it too :)

 

Blogger TheStreetFashion5xpro said ... (4:20 AM) : 

I love cool granny...you are brilliant

 

Blogger SPEETway said ... (5:19 AM) : 

amazing shot

www.speetway.com
speetway.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Evan said ... (5:25 AM) : 

Gratzie Scott..Love this guy...

 

Blogger MELISSA Z. said ... (5:26 AM) : 

amazing pic, wow! <3

www.abitoffashion.com

 

Blogger José Cabral said ... (5:58 AM) : 

the Master

 

Blogger Adrian O'Connor said ... (6:06 AM) : 

Can you see how much he loves that bicycle? It really old style bike like my parents use to have, with the guard over the chain and really old brakes system. Its like he shined it up recently too.

He looks like an interesting person to talk too

 

Blogger typingtalker said ... (6:16 AM) : 

Re: DVD on Netflix. They say, "DVD availability date unknown."

 

Blogger Liz S said ... (6:33 AM) : 

Smart casual with a pop of colour to say... "no I'm not too conservative". Well, I don't know this fellow but that's what his outfit says to me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:35 AM) : 

Bill Cunningham does not just capture beauty, he is beauty! What an amazing inspiring person. The documentary was absolutely wonderful (I saw it at the film festival here all the way in New Zealand with all my friends studying fashion with me at uni). I am buying it on DVD as soon as it comes out, absolutely recommend you do whatever you can to see it!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:50 AM) : 

I used to do some marketing work for the Times and while it was a thrill to walk into the old building where so much history has been recorded, I really swooned when I shared an elevator with Mr. Cunningham and got to tell him how much I appreciated his work. I'll keep my eye out for that documentary.

 

Blogger ZHENYA ZHURAVLYOVA said ... (7:00 AM) : 

I like this moment!))

 

Blogger FH said ... (7:15 AM) : 

Love him

 

Blogger May Brady said ... (7:26 AM) : 

Legend!

It showed at the Melbourne International Film Festival - perhaps check out the film festivals in the towns you visit? Good luck!

http://maybrady.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Jasmin said ... (8:25 AM) : 

I love this photo, it really captures the spirit.

http://unefilleunreve.blogspot.com

 

Blogger aceden28 said ... (8:56 AM) : 

Wonderful shot. Love Bill's "On the Street" pieces on NYT, one of my daily vitamin requirements.

I also really appreciate the bigger statement happening here, the newer NYC staple snapping a picture of a legend of the same field, lovely.

 

Anonymous Lee Oliveira said ... (9:11 AM) : 

I have seen one of his docos. Great that you managed to capture him taking a shot on his bike.

 

Blogger Clara B. said ... (9:13 AM) : 

I want to see this documentary!
www.aglassofashion.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Clara B. said ... (9:13 AM) : 

very great man!
www.aglassofashion.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Karen in VA (was CT) said ... (9:14 AM) : 

.. ALERT ... it's my experience that if enough people put this documentary in their netflix queue .... it will be available ** FAST ** ... so everyone, add it to your queue

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:28 AM) : 

Great shot! ~

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:35 AM) : 

Scott,

Call him up. It's shame that you don't know him he is the first of your kind.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:40 AM) : 

Oh, such a cute shot -- and I love Mr. Cunningham's work! His commentary re. his photos always has such joie de vivre -- it makes me happy to listen to his voice as I view his images! (-: Can't wait to see the doc...

 

Anonymous Christopher Benton said ... (10:01 AM) : 

I emailed the producer yesterday and his answer was:
"It will be released in March at the Film Forum and 50 cities nationally.
Thanks for your interest in it."

 

Anonymous Diamondvirgin.com said ... (10:18 AM) : 

ah .... the trained eye ...

nice pic!

 

Anonymous printed promotional bags said ... (10:21 AM) : 

Funny.. funny. I Love Bill Cunningham

 

Blogger Esther said ... (11:09 AM) : 

THE MAN! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:25 AM) : 

Thank you Scott for such a great shot! He is a true icon and a man of great talent and taste! I just adore him....L

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:27 AM) : 

Yes, come to Abu Dhabi for its international film festival (and for some shots of a really interesting mix of fashion and cultures). And I've got tickets for this documentary - so excited!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:31 AM) : 

Years ago (around the time he was also shooting for the early version of Details magazine, if I remember that at all correctly), I happened to pass Bill Cunningham on the street and mentioned I was a fan of his work. Not gushing praise, just a passing acknowledgement. He seemed taken aback, not all that comfortable with the praise. Totally understandable, praise is always a strange thing.

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (12:17 PM) : 

Cunningham, a dandy at work.Perfect he and the photo too.Thanks.

 

Blogger Cat said ... (12:27 PM) : 

i simply adore him!!!!! :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:58 PM) : 

Seems like he has a lotta love from lotta people. I too love him. I watch for his Friday video blog every week obsessively. What a guy!

 

Blogger paristempslibre said ... (2:15 PM) : 

i love his fashion videos!!!!!
xo

 

Anonymous Elena said ... (2:27 PM) : 

I just love the guy-his enthusiasm for fashion is contagious! Great photo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:29 PM) : 

The first thing I do on Monday morning when I come in to work ( in Texas) is to pull up his slide show to see what was important to him the prior week. He is so much fun to listen to and is always spot on with the trend du jour. He is a one of a kind gem.

 

Blogger Sondra said ... (2:32 PM) : 

You can pre-order the DVD @ Amazon.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:48 PM) : 

to buy the documentary or know where to see it contact philipgefter@gmail.com or tel:212 556 7741

I love your work!!! good luck

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:54 PM) : 

Great shot! I love Bill Cunningham and his red Schwinn!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:05 PM) : 

"Bill Cunningham New York" is on the verge of a theatrical distribution deal and should open in theaters in New York in March 2011 and cities across the country. Pass it along and please stay tuned!!!

 

Blogger Philip said ... (5:09 PM) : 

"Bill Cunningham New York" is on the verge of a distribution deal and should open in theaters in New York in March 2011 and cities around the country. Pass the word and please stay tuned!!!

 

Blogger Adrian O'Connor said ... (6:27 PM) : 

Wow, its interesting that everyone seems to know him. I just thought he was a chap on a bike, similar to all the other normal non fashion people we have seen lately.

I'll have to look out for that documentary now.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:47 PM) : 

I love seeing people with a passion.

http://red-soledfashionista.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (9:15 PM) : 

thanks for the update on the documentary. I missed it in NY.

 

Blogger Scatterbrain said ... (10:06 PM) : 

My friggen hero!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:22 PM) : 

I adore Bill Cunningham! I can't wait to watch his slide shows every week. "This (is) Bill Cunningham. And this week......" His photos and his comments are so optimistic that it makes everybody so happy about life. Isn't that wonderful?

 

Blogger Ben said ... (11:17 PM) : 

Saw it this summer at an advance showing, absolutely FANTASTIC. What a humble legend, and true fashion visionary. When this drops you absolutely need to see it.

 

Blogger Amir Olavi said ... (3:56 AM) : 

Great colour inspiration, I have a bike in that same red, and that blue+khaki looks so good with it. Thank you for this!

imbricate

 

Anonymous Corve DaCosta said ... (8:55 AM) : 

i love this photo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:10 AM) : 

join the movie on facebook -- and stayed tuned to all Bill news!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bill-Cunningham-New-York/116588125041786

 

Anonymous Hollis said ... (11:23 AM) : 

Mr. Cunningham please wear a helmet next time.

 

Blogger Devi said ... (11:25 AM) : 

I just love this guy

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:57 PM) : 

superbe!

http://valentineavoh.blogspot.com/
-diary of a fashion stylist-

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:32 PM) : 

the tix for the NY showing sold out right away- so glad to hear it will be released soon.
Bill is amazing in everyway!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:07 PM) : 

I love Bill Cunningham! Please tell him to WEAR A HELMET!

 

Anonymous kelli said ... (6:25 PM) : 

Scott, love this shot!

 

Blogger Elizabeth Jaime said ... (7:19 PM) : 

You can get it through Netflix

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 PM) : 

Thank you for this one~!
Bill is stellar in so many ways~!
His on-going presence is our joy~!

 

Anonymous Kate said ... (9:03 AM) : 

We got this at the Melbourne International Film Festival and Bill has been a personal hero since seeing it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:27 AM) : 

I love that man. He is a genius. I believe he has revolutionized the view of fashion and style in the past 35+ yrs. He is on the same level as Coco Chanel.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 PM) : 

luv his ever-blue top and red bike

 

Anonymous kellyjeanne said ... (1:24 PM) : 

I saw him AND David Byrne on their bikes in the same neighborhood last time I was in NYC!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:49 PM) : 

great Bill, great Scott !!!!!

 

Anonymous leah@simplesplendidthings said ... (11:42 PM) : 

i love Bill Cunningham! Such a great eye for what's going on in the city...

~ Leah

 

Anonymous IrishEye said ... (5:29 PM) : 

One of the greats! To answr an earlier query, Bill appears to be using a Nikon FM2, (or possibly FM2n), which is his signature camera. It's not at all unusal to use another manufacturer's strap. 35mm film has much to offer in fashion serendipity and street style. Sartortial splendour in the hands on one of the great masters - a great cameo on this blog.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (10:02 PM) : 

Definitely a master photographer. But Scott, I thought you already saw the movie at the Festivals...?

It's downloadable. I think.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 PM) : 

We haven't been exposed much to Bill Cunningham's work in Australia, but by reading all the comments and links I'll definately be doing some research.
Hey Scott, this could be a portrait of you in 40 years time! :-)
Ciao, L. x x

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:14 AM) : 

the documentary is being showed on during the Abu Dhabi Film Festival, I'm actually going to watch it tonight!

check the festival's officical website as I believe there is a link to Mubi where they will show all the films they had on the fest!!

 

Blogger = said ... (7:36 AM) : 

damn gangsta ass shoes

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:43 PM) : 

I never thought of it but I guess he is the spiritual father to the fashion bloggers. I love how he can watch millions go by but find a shift here, a tweak there, and other barometers for fashion, weather and the mood of the NY mind.

 

Blogger Siren said ... (2:46 PM) : 

I saw Bill Cunningham New York at the Melborne International Film Festival. His knowledge of the history of fashion is enclycopaedic. He is also a delightful and utterly charming man and I was on a high for days after seeing this doco. Long may Bill live !

 

Blogger barbara cromer said ... (6:49 PM) : 

Bill Cunningham is the first thing I look at in the Sunday NY times. He is so enthusiastic, it's contagious.

 

Blogger the Citizen Rosebud said ... (8:50 AM) : 

i remember reading about it and then nothing. if you find out it can be rented, please please share! would so LOVE to see the doc about him. A very inspiring man.

 

Anonymous IMEANWHAT?!? said ... (12:02 PM) : 

Well, you snapped a picture of him. Ask him!
www.imeanwhat.com for more news about fashion and Katy Perry's new perfume. Eek.

www.imeanwhat.com

 

Anonymous ivylee said ... (3:05 AM) : 

Please ask him what the shoes are.

 

Blogger Elizabeth Fay said ... (5:49 AM) : 

What a cool old gentleman.

 

Blogger MOL said ... (12:33 PM) : 

love this man, and what a worker!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 AM) : 

I believe it's playing in Honolulu (at the Hawaii International Film Festival) tomorrow...last minute flight?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:19 AM) : 

The documentary just won the award for "Best Documentary by a New Director" at the Abu Dhabi Film Festival. I felt quite lucky to be able to catch this insightful film at the festival -- with its celebration of the man himself, plus highlighting of New York and emphasis on celebrating individual fashion choices across gender & ethnic lines.

 

Blogger Anne said ... (12:54 AM) : 

I love this photo!

 

Blogger Andrew said ... (3:16 AM) : 

It's playing at the Brisbane International Film Festival in a couple of weeks if you fancy a trip to Australia.

 

Anonymous Adrian said ... (9:54 AM) : 

Zeitgeist Films will open the film at New York’s Film Forum on March 16, 2011 with a national release to follow.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/zeitgeist_acquires_bill_cunningham_new_york/

 

Anonymous Lauren said ... (8:54 PM) : 

Awww Bill Cunningham! I'm always on the look out for him! He's so wonderful and he still shoots in film right?

 

Blogger Julie Ling said ... (8:49 PM) : 

This photographer just warms my heart every time I see him! He looks just so adorable to see him continuing his work.

f ashioncont a gious

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting