This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Biffi, Milano

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

On the Street....Biffi, Milano

When I was in Milan last time I made my usual trek/pilgrimage to Al Bazar.

On the way I stopped into Biffi, a great old pasticceria, for a very cold sparkling water. While I was there I was struck by just how professional the gentleman behind the bar looked in his perfectly tailored uniform. Actually, the afternoon that I shot this image was the same day that I posted the young lady in Florence wearing a cleaning uniform. Maybe I had uniforms-on-the-brain that day.

If you compare the two images, I think both are great expressions of self.

I think that the young lady is expressing her self-image at the expense of her uniform: an "I'm more than this job" kind of expression. This gentleman, by contrast, seems to take great pride and respect in the profession he has chosen and expresses that pride in the exactitude of his uniform.

To me, this is also a great example of the difference between fashion and style.

This guy has STYLE. He has mastered the "refinement of detail."

He stood out dramatically from all the other bartenders, even though they were all dressed exactly the same, simply because he understood the implied dignity of the uniform. I mean, wouldn't you be surprised if this guy did a sloppy job on your cocktail? His style tells you "Trust me, I take my performance personally."

I would love to see a return of pride in wearing a uniform, not only from the people wearing the uniforms, but also from the companies providing the uniforms.

Many years ago my Mom use to work for American Airlines. They flew her from Chicago to New York just to have her uniform fitted. Who does that these days? Hardly anyone and our culture is poorer for that.

Comments on "On the Street....Biffi, Milano"

 

Blogger James said ... (10:25 AM) : 

Too true! Thank you for this post and reminding us of a better time!

James

http://tempusfugit-eh.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 AM) : 

Those Italians.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 AM) : 

What class this gentleman exudes!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 AM) : 

I love this shot, molto bene!

 

Blogger Plantress said ... (10:36 AM) : 

not only does he wear it well he's got that "certain something" going on too. I mean he is very well groomed but he has a kind of naughty boy look in his eyes...or am I porjecting? I find him attractive but don't know why...

 

Blogger Eugenia Woods said ... (10:39 AM) : 

Perfectly worded. This man looks sharp.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:43 AM) : 

I do agree, this gentleman exudes class, style, dedication and passion for his work. Absolutely love this picture. Thank you very much! And while I'm at it. Your blog is an essential part of my blog roll. Your photographs give me daily inspiration. Another thank you.

 

Blogger TheStreetFashion5xpro said ... (10:43 AM) : 

I love this style...great class

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:44 AM) : 

Agreed, he shows passion and dedication to himself, his work and an inexplicable attitude. And I like his smile (^_^). Thank you for your photographs, they are a daily inspiration.

 

Blogger Antonio_Libero said ... (10:52 AM) : 

I love his simple style, and the pin on the tie.. we must always know how to dress, even when working.. for all jobs..

 

Blogger Prutha Raithatha said ... (11:09 AM) : 

SOOOO TRUE!! his uniform does speak volumns about his performance... u can tell he gets into details... with the tiny pin on this tie and everything...

love this shot!!
especially coz he's cutting a lemon and somehow makes the whole image super cool...

http://donotshoeme.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:24 AM) : 

"pride and respect in the profession".

That's why he reminds me of Jeeves! Pip-pip!

 

Blogger STREETFSN said ... (11:29 AM) : 

love his detail !!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:30 AM) : 

once again an italian lesson of style...so proud to be an italian stylish girl

 

Blogger Marianne said ... (11:33 AM) : 

Yes Sart! Our culture is poorer for not caring about the details of grooming and dress. I often wonder of the relationship between the well dressed/groomed man and emotional health. You can look at this man and know that he has great self worth. He likes himself. Could there be a bioscience relationship to style? Onward Sart!

 

Blogger SabinePsynopsis said ... (11:35 AM) : 

I would love to order a coffee or a cocktail by a gentleman so smartly dressed (but HOW does he keep his suit clean??).
I think you are making a very good point about the responsibility of companies who supply uniforms. It is very hard to look stylish and dignified in an ill-fitting, 100% polyester, badly cut outfit - and this cannot be good for the morale of the employees who are the face of the company.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 AM) : 

whatever you do,

Do it with PRIDE n GUSTO
...I heard someone once say and that is exactly what I notice that you Scott take note of everytime.

This really is an example of how taking pride in WHATEVER you do shows!......

While this labor of love exhiibtion is often found in Italians or noticed by us.....I have to say I often take notice of the same, for example when I go to a fine restauarant here in the states or just a nice office building and the lobby valets are wearing their standard navy blue isssued blazers with pride.

It really is a true refelction of the person.

 

Anonymous Key said ... (11:45 AM) : 

I believe the crispness in his style also says "I'm more than this job". Attitude and confidence are the best accessory of all.

 

Anonymous Clifford Lau said ... (11:53 AM) : 

What makes this an excellent post not only because of this gentleman but also the perfectly and thoughtfully worded comments by Mr. Sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 AM) : 

I find it a little painful to see you, in all your privilege, lamenting over sloppy uniforms when people are starving for jobs and employers can work their people like dogs for less and no benefits.

I understand you see dignity in them. You see them as more than their jobs. I look to your blog for culture and beauty because it deeply comforts me. I am happy it's out there. I think quality should be expensive.

It's hard to relate when so many are in serious career troubles they don't deserve. I spent the morning buying groceries for my well educated, friends who are working tables again in their 30 trying to keep their home and support their kids . lemme tell ya, they don't look stylish.

 

Anonymous Catskillet said ... (12:02 PM) : 

I would also add that this kind of precision and care is not just missing from the world of clothing, but from other places, too. Food making. Shop-keeping. Photography. Art. I think the loss of pride in clothing and other things are a reflection and perpetuation of the growing poverty in our culture. It's interesting that you see it, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 PM) : 

I believe our culture and our environment can do without fitting flights

 

Blogger EML said ... (12:05 PM) : 

I always love a black jacket with a black tie, no matter whether it's a uniform or not. the pin adds that special little detail and obviously he has a great aura.

 

Blogger ann. said ... (12:05 PM) : 

well said.

maybe they should revamp airline uniforms...abroad, they are still chic and lovely. here there is far too much poly and far too little silk.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:11 PM) : 

Style, class...throw in some common sense and experience...I would place my order only with this gentleman.

 

Anonymous Cristiano said ... (12:15 PM) : 

maybe this fascination for normal working people it's 'cos it's about time that fashion get off from the pedestal in which stayed for all the last decade! I mean, haute couture, luxury and all the snobbish attitude 'Me: yes. You: no!'. SO BORING. Times have changed: recession, Obama, global warming. Maybe it's really about time to stop all the fascist attitude that run deep in fashion in the last decade and turn (back) to a more democratic, nice and street-style approach

 

Blogger The Original Swedish Blonde! said ... (12:15 PM) : 

So classy...what a gentleman look! :)

 

Blogger Black is the New Black said ... (12:15 PM) : 

so true! I think Italians especially tend to take more pride in their work and appearance than we do.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:18 PM) : 

I agree completely! As a part-time waitress myself, I am annoyed by the lack of effort my employer puts into uniforms - we don't have one! We just wear black tee-shirts with jeans, or leggings, or in summer, denim cut-off's. Once one girl wore sweatpants to work! She was then astonished when everyone commented, and thought that her choice of clothing was totally appropriate! I think we need to take pride in our work wear, and therefore demonstrate pride in our work.

 

Blogger Sammi said ... (12:22 PM) : 

I really like the pin.

 

Blogger green lantern said ... (12:35 PM) : 

SART-
you are so right on all points. Creativity and imagination cannot be compromised by living within a box or "uniform." I believe real artists see what could be within the confines of what is. Creative expression through an environ is more creative than having free reign. You express through the static confines of the lense from the view of fashion; and do so brilliantly.

 

Anonymous cociolph said ... (12:35 PM) : 

I've seen barmen in Madrid wearing their white jackets with a similar quality of self-possession and style. Like this man, they embrace their metier.

 

Anonymous beyondanomie said ... (12:39 PM) : 

It's interesting that you call style "the refinement of detail". My personal take is that style is the manifestation of a unity and synergy between man and clothes, and results from an inner contentment with his life.

Whichever definition one chooses, I agree that this man has it, and it shines through. And yes, I'd definitely be happy if he was making my cocktail!

Keep up the good work.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:48 PM) : 

It's true what you said, but then the uniform is so different from the cleaning ladies one. This one is all about respect, the black suit, the black tie, whereas the cleaning ladies one is all about drudgery. Still, he wears it with pride, and that is always a sign that he takes his job seriously. I too had a relative in the air industry, back then called a stewardess, and she always looked impeccable. Wonderous.

 

Blogger Inari K. said ... (12:51 PM) : 

The scent of the orange almost makes the dark suit bloom : )

 

Blogger Marie said ... (12:58 PM) : 

Perhaps the farther we move from Fascism, the less attention we pay to the elite implication of a uniform? I grew up in apartheid South Africa, where (impeccable) uniforms were big business.

When you photograph people (who do not know who you are), What do you say when you ask them for permission to take the pic? I am deeply curious about and interested in people and would like to take more portraits, but find it hard to bridge the gulf...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:14 PM) : 

This is exquisite!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:14 PM) : 

i agree that classy uniforming is important and makes a world of difference, but i dont think its fair to say our culture is a poor one because there is an economic crisis going on and flying someone halfway across the country to simply have a uniform fitted is not an affordable luxury. a culture can still be rich if it doesn't have that kind of money to spend on details!

 

Anonymous Oriane @ Traffic de Mode said ... (1:17 PM) : 

Absolutely perfetto.
He is so elegant.

http://www.trafficdemode.com

 

Anonymous Erilyn said ... (1:19 PM) : 

amazing point
I love suites because it's overall such a basic form but there is so much you can add.



foodismmm.wordpress.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:24 PM) : 

I love your text. I loved when you compared fashion and style. I think style is the way to express ourselves as individuals and today most people just think in fashion. Nice picture though. It is a well-dresses sir and I´m happy he´s pride of his job and he´s able to express his personality in his cloths.

 

Blogger kukla said ... (1:26 PM) : 

Precisely!!!

 

Blogger SarahPeslar said ... (1:31 PM) : 

Beautifully expressed. Your point ties in with fashion & trends wonderfully!






www.fashionsmind.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said ... (1:44 PM) : 

I absolutely love reading your insights you post under some of the photos on this blog! I cousln't agree more and don't even have anything to add now :) So impressed with this gentleman too!

 

Anonymous wildflower said ... (2:03 PM) : 

You have hit on the marker once again! I absolutely love when people take pride in the way they look, be it a uniform or just a crisp clean shirt! This man has a sense of class and it shows in his uniform. I enjoy your blog for many reasons, and, this is why! I too wish the time would return when people take pride in the way they look. It's in the details...

 

Blogger kara lynn said ... (2:11 PM) : 

you are exactly right. and it is so very sadly true.

 

Blogger nemee said ... (2:22 PM) : 

Your points are incredibly true, and the contrast between this man and the young woman is incredible as well . This is a phenomenal post and I love the way that you've taken a simple uniform and turned it into so much more .

artsysunday.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Deano SC said ... (2:30 PM) : 

Just found this and I am sooo syked!

 

Blogger Contact said ... (2:52 PM) : 

i want to go to italy so bad!!

<33
heelsandinspiration.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:52 PM) : 

I love these little details, like the one pinned in his tie. x

 

Anonymous J.Fonte said ... (2:56 PM) : 

I think the appreciation of one's uniform deals in personality. Too some people, it's amazing. To others, it's a restraint


But I think most young people think of it as a restraint because today's uniforms are so ugly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:56 PM) : 

Looking polished and fab. He secretly poisons tacky customers. His life of crime is not discovered until this photograph catapults him to fame. The attention eliminates his ability to continue his craft and thus the Sartorialist saves the lives of those he will never shoot.

 

Blogger Faith said ... (3:02 PM) : 

Oh how I wish to go to Italy! I am now inspired to dress very classy there now :)

http://preludestoadream.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Atelier Pompadour said ... (3:35 PM) : 

we, italians got style! ; )

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 PM) : 

This is SO true, Scott. Uniforms, and the pride, or absence of pride with which they are worn, make an enormous impact. There was a laiterie down the street from my old apartment in Paris, and the two grandmotherly ladies who ran the shop always wore impeccable pastel pink or white uniforms and matching pearls. They exuded freshness, and the pride they took in their appearance just made me want to entrust my dairy shopping to them.
Victoria

 

Anonymous nyc fashion said ... (4:00 PM) : 

So true what class true gentleman

http://nyc-fashion.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:07 PM) : 

It would be better if he snugged his tie up to his collar and maybe had a white pocket square.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:15 PM) : 

I could not agree more with your last comment in regards to fit, and our country being the poorer for it. Fit is very under-rated, and it should not be.

 

Blogger Nicole Mays said ... (4:26 PM) : 

You said:

Many years ago my Mom use to work for American Airlines. They flew her from Chicago to New York just to have her uniform fitted. Who does that these days? Hardly anyone and our culture is poorer for that.


This is so true (CLAPS HANDS!!!) In my travels I've made the same observation over and over again. And the airline world is a perfect example. For example, when flying from Korea to NYC, via Japan, the "shift" in uniforms, style, pride, was remarkable. The Asian hostesses wore the most beautifully fitted uniforms (on across-the-board fit bodies I might add), in quality fabrics, with careful details. Suddenly aboard the US aircraft the American hostesses wore faded cheap blue cotton uniforms (something like an old mechanic's uniform blue), ill-fitted, frumpy, and (fill in the blank with your pick of adjectives here). It's embarrassing to say the least. I've had this experience more than once so that flight wasn't a fluke. I've had the occasion to fly on some African carriers, Thai Air, Air France...and all beat your average American carrier's attention to style and quality in uniforms. Great observation!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:41 PM) : 

I love the fact that this site is a social commentary to so many things that are relevant. The pride in this man's face is evident that there is still some pride and dignity left in what one does and not what one earns in salary.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:49 PM) : 

Thank you for putting into words why style is important and wearing fashion is not: His style tells you "Trust me, I take my performance personally." I've scotch-taped this on my desk!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:53 PM) : 

Right on! I wish you could send this post to Major League Baseball. Some of those guys look ridiculous in their giant, baggy uniforms. It's disrespectful in a way.

 

Blogger southerngentinL.A. said ... (4:59 PM) : 

Impeccable.....

 

Blogger Maria Ana said ... (5:12 PM) : 

Amazing. That is was I call pride in who you are and what you do!

 

Blogger Splenderosa said ... (6:01 PM) : 

You said it perfectly.Other than, maybe he should run for office in the U.S.

 

Anonymous Annika said ... (6:17 PM) : 

Honestly, before I read what you had to say I thought to myself, "Oh, he must be the owner." Well stated.

 

Blogger Alan Nei said ... (6:17 PM) : 

beautiful post man !!
thanks ; ))

 

Blogger Gina said ... (6:29 PM) : 

The Italians are known for their uniforms. The police uniforms and Al Italia's uniforms are created by Italian designers.

It seems that there's barely consideration for a good-fitting suit in the US, so why bother with having uniforms that inspire the wearer and the customer?

 

Anonymous vvn said ... (6:29 PM) : 

Your caption for this post reminds me of the Irving Penn's "Small Trades" photographs and the different attitudes towards/in uniforms that he captured in them. If you haven't seen them already, I think you'd really enjoy those photos.

Thanks again for a great post, as always

 

Anonymous xris said ... (6:29 PM) : 

Scott,
"Hear hear!" to your comments. Great photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:30 PM) : 

Love this blog piece. I agree wholeheartedly that uniforms should be more well-refined and suppose to make the persona and don't look degrading.

The man looks sharp!

 

Anonymous Montreal said ... (6:43 PM) : 

Scott remember your elegant chauffer in San Francisco? Oct.09
Both these men exude the same thing. Pride in their work, appearance and service to the client. This all adds up to real gentlemen with great personal style.

 

Anonymous Trudie F said ... (6:51 PM) : 

I couldn't agree with you more. I noticed recently at the bank that the staff there now have a wide range of well cut and different pieces they can wear to work. It really has made a difference in the professionalism of the bank.

 

Anonymous Tiffany said ... (7:53 PM) : 

Nice! He's a very distinguished gentleman!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:02 PM) : 

I've never seen a tie pin work that well. Might have to rethink my distaste for them...

 

Blogger Chris Wolfgang said ... (10:30 PM) : 

Amen and amen. Nothing makes me feel more professional and competent than a deliciously tailored piece of clothing.

 

Anonymous jfk-mxp said ... (10:49 PM) : 

I am presently a flight attendant for American Airlines. Years ago, when we landed in Paris, a European group of flight attendants were waiting for us to get off the bus. They were cookie cutter perfect, with pulled back hair, polished grooming, the works! Then there was us. I was wearing my comfortable shoes, not the required heels, my own personalcashmere sweater that keeps me warmer than the issued one from the company, my pearls, bracelets and 2 watches. And that was just me.
I thought about the reason we all strayed so far away from what the company mandated. I decided that in America, we have a sense of independance,and we follow our own different drummer.Comfort is our god and this religion is spreading around the world.
I stress that my example stands for all American carriers, and not just American Airlines.

One more example of casualness spreading. I went to Rome for my last semester of college 40 years ago. The Americans were the only ones wearing bluejeans and sneakers. The Europeans wouldn't be caught dead in that look. Caveat Mundo...where America goes....you go!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:39 PM) : 

Gentleman, pure and simple.

 

Blogger mnlop said ... (12:07 AM) : 

Hear hear. I live in the mountain west, and when I venture outside of downtown, I often wonder why I should even bother making an effort when it seems like everyone else is in flip flops and baggy capris. But then I think, if I don't make an effort, that's just one more minus for culture, style, and individuality, which are already hard enough to find.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:17 AM) : 

He's definitely got class!

It's so true what you said about uniforms, nowadays it's rare a company that will put effort in providing a nice uniform to their staff... Its more about finding the cheapest way to put their logo/colors on a shirt... Sad


http://valentineavoh.blogspot.com/
-the diary of a fashion stylist-

 

Blogger Jeanette said ... (2:09 AM) : 

This, does not look like a uniform at all. From this photo, you can convince me this man was in any profession at all, amazing what a well fitted suit and details can do.

 

Anonymous Donna said ... (3:07 AM) : 

Singapore Air female stewards' uniforms are fitted to the individual wearer, I understand. These were originally designed by Pierre Balmain in the late sixties/early seventies. Apparently, nowadays, each woman is entitled to one full uniform allowance per six months and that uniform is fitted for her. And it shows - they look immaculate.

Donna

 

Anonymous Purses Pastries Etc... said ... (4:27 AM) : 

That is one of the main things lacking today that separates us from "back in the day." People had a PRIDE in their work and it showed! This man looks very distinguished and proud!

 

Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said ... (5:35 AM) : 

Living in Italy for the last two years has really been a sartorial treat.

I love this photo and I agree with you. This man takes pride in his work.

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (6:36 AM) : 

This man doesn't seem to work as a sentence but enjoy what he does:live and be.That's style and the rest is nonsense.

 

Anonymous Amber said ... (7:16 AM) : 

I lived in Italy for a while and I loved the class and style of the baristas. They put more pride in a cappuccino than most of us do in our work. Very inspiring!

 

Anonymous Tank said ... (9:07 AM) : 

He can make me a cocktail any day!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:08 AM) : 

here,here Scott, Your photos are great. I was also taken with the one of the cleaning girl. Proving once again that Style and Beauty are where they are, and everywhere!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:31 PM) : 

This gentleman looks both great and happy--probably because his uniform and environment suggest that his employers regard him as a professional deserving of respect and comfort.

As a number of commenters have noted, many uniforms are designed to create an "us-them" mentality: ugly, ill-fitting, cheaply-made uniforms send a message that their wearers are, essentially, of no value and do not need to be seen or treated with respect. This message comes across loud and clear to both uniform-wearers and customers.

That's why the many comments about "pride in work" are troubling--it's very easy for people in positions of privilege to grumble about how the "serving class" just aren't "proud enough," for they don't know what it feels like to be regarded, day in and day out, as little more than a piece of office machinery by both customers and their employers. It's hard to feel "proud" when your salary, uniform, and lack of benefits are clear messages that you are seen as having no worth.

And it's very, very tiresome to be told, essentially, that your refusal to be happy about a lousy situation is a problem because it's not making the privileged customers feel good about themselves and their position in the transaction.

 

Anonymous Luna said ... (2:37 PM) : 

Perfetto: sguardo, sorriso, postura, mani... svelano tutto l'amore e la dedizione che questo Signore mette nel suo lavoro. Mi inchino.

Great, great, great attitude. I bow to this Gentleman. To his glance and smile, grace and posture. To the great love he put in his work. A love he surely has built over the years. We do need more people like this.

 

Anonymous Megan said ... (3:09 PM) : 

I love that I thought the complete same thing about the gentleman in his uniform. It is so professional. I do wish that we could go back to that pride in our work where the uniforms that people where are not just thrown on, they are worn immaculately as evidence of the pride they have in belonging to their profession.

 

Blogger V. said ... (4:16 PM) : 

You say that young woman was "...expressing her self-image at the expense of her uniform..." but with a uniform like hers, meant make her feel menial, I think she was expressing herself in spite of her uniform. Even cheap polyester couldn't keep her true self from shining through.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:45 PM) : 

Never thought the Sartorialist would give me the opportunity to go on a rant about the U.S. Army allowing its soldiers to wear the A.C.U. (Army Combat Uniform)everywhere. Outside of a field environment, the A.C.U. looks like a baggy set of pajamas. Talk about a look that doesn't display a sense of pride or respect in ones profession.

Now the U.S. Marine Corps in its Dress Blues or even the Olive green dress sure show a sense of honor and pride.

 

Blogger Lin said ... (2:27 AM) : 

Couldn't agree more. I think this is my favorite blog entry of yours to date, because of both the photo and what you had to say.

 

Blogger hu said ... (5:04 AM) : 

love that ring

 

Anonymous Sarade said ... (8:21 AM) : 

He looks spectacular! They say you should always dress for the position you want...are those white shirt cuffs really practical with what he's doing all day? If he can do well at his job without worrying that he is ruining his fine clothes, then he is a shining example.

 

Blogger Liz S said ... (10:13 AM) : 

I agree uniforms can instill a sense of pride. However, as others have said, only if the uniform is stylish, you really want to be there, and your bosses and colleagues treat you well---but it can happen with only 2 of the above. You cannot just tell someone to "have pride". You cannot also put someone in a great uniform and expect them to have pride and want to make it their own--it must come from within, plus many other influences.

The reverse of this is true also. I worked for years as a tech officer in a plain often stained white lab coat--but I had great pride in myself in that coat, because I loved the work and the people around me were great fun. I wonder if simply the spring in my step from beneath the long lab coat would've attracted a Sart style photo?

Pride in dress (uniform), our work, style....and respectful, courteous behavioural characteristics....may come from pure contentment in our lives.

 

Blogger Liz S said ... (10:15 AM) : 

By the way--this fellow looks fantastic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:29 PM) : 

I am a lawyer, and this is why I always wear a suit and carry myself with the dignity of my profession.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 PM) : 

The difference in the uniform photos is the generational-age-difference between the 2 subjects. Sartorialist has featured other older gentlemen on the job (like the limo driver in I believe Los Angeles, he was an old-school black gentleman, well-mannered and natty). The younger girl is in the cleaning uniform is "above" her lot in life. The younger set seems to be convinced they are all worthy of something better, the older set demonstrates modest respect for life.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 PM) : 

Great article in the Los Angeles Time about a very old African American gentleman who was a Pullman porter. His style and elegance is so inspiring

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-pullman-porter-20100705,0,7194062.story

 

Blogger TheFrenchTwisted said ... (7:41 AM) : 

You are so right. I'm very proud of the airline that I work for because they actually do take enormous pride in our uniforms unlike most others!
Thank you for the daily inspiration.
The FrenchTwisted

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:58 PM) : 

scheissdreck ! keep up the good work !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:10 PM) : 

The "stewardess" airline uniform is indeed a thing of the past, much like they no longer have to weigh-in to keep their jobs, fit into a certain cup size to keep their jobs, and endure endless and relentless butt-grabs to keep their jobs.

With that said, the gentleman looks stunning.

 

Blogger JSHayes said ... (7:40 PM) : 

I could seriously spend all day at this man's bar. He is elegant beyond words and is proud of who he is.

"Say what you are. Not what you would like to be. Not what you have to be. Just say what you are. And what you are is good enough." - John Cassavetes

 

Blogger 82Brute said ... (6:44 PM) : 

Such a provocative topic. I could probably write my own lengthy essay from all the thoughts going through my head, but I'll stick to this one and it's addressed to "Anonymous" who said "It's hard to feel 'proud' when your salary, uniform, and lack of benefits are clear messages that you are seen as having no worth." Many years ago my parents treated our family to a tour of Italy. At the time I was working in a TV station for less pay than if I were flipping McBurgers and I spent most of my off time kvetching about how unappreciated I was. In Italy, among other things, I noticed how different the waiters were from American waiters. They, like this gentleman, carried themselves with pride. They were skilled professionals who dressed precisely and knew the nuances of the food they were serving. They spoke clearly, politely and anticipated their customers' needs. I went back to my crappy job with a completely new attitude. I started treating my job as if I were working for one of the big networks in NYC. I showed up on time, dressed neatly and ready to tackle every challenge head on. It made a world of difference in how I perceived myself and how I was treated by others. I love everything you wrote about this man and would love to sit and listen to him talk about his life. I'm going to guess he spent time as a gentleman's gentleman and probably has the expertise to run a very large household. He's got that air about him. Thank you for this.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:28 PM) : 

Love his look.Love his pride in himself and his work.

 

Blogger i.c. blogspot said ... (1:51 PM) : 

Brilliantly said--> "Trust me, I take my performance personally."

I too hope that companies and employees return to the philosophy of pride in their position with reflection to their style. This along with all the other instrumental aspects of a career or job for that matter, have been lost in the profit driven, each for their own mentality. Many employees don't have pride in their job because the've become disposable pons within the company and easily replaceable if necessary. Who would take pride in that ?

Dignity must be returned from the employer and as such pride in ones job, performance and style will return as well!

Lovely photo!

i.nternational. c.itizen.

 

Anonymous Dahlia said ... (11:04 PM) : 

"Fashion fades, style is eternal" as Yves Saint Laurent once said.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:17 PM) : 

I see the same as a member of British Airways - we all wear the same uniform, but it's about how you wear it. Those individuals who take pride in the cleanliness and cut of their uniform shine just that much brighter.

 

Blogger Catherine said ... (6:47 AM) : 

Please Please can you go to Zucca on the Duomo and shoot the Gentlemen behind the bar there. Beautiful bar and fabulous staff who will make you 'uno spritz' to die for!

 

Anonymous Miss K said ... (7:09 AM) : 

Sart, I totally agree! Last year i worked for a restaurant that bought all our black shirts from Primark and it sucked. They washed out grey really quick but being a smart lady (but being broke) I would re-dye them in the washing machine. 5 years ago I worked for an amazing restaurant that sent me to a suit shop to get my own special lilac blouse (I was the only woman working there). I felt really valued and put way more effort into that job. Glad you've highlighted this. The service industry take note!

 

Blogger Alexandra said ... (10:14 AM) : 

agree.

 

Blogger hlj said ... (8:51 AM) : 

I adore that pin on his tie :)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting