This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Garance's Birthday at Wolgan Valley Resort and Spa

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Garance's Birthday at Wolgan Valley Resort and Spa

Recently, when we were in Australia we spent Garance's birthday at a really great resort. The rooms, the spa, and the food were all wonderful, but all that interested me was mountain biking around the resort's grounds.

When we told our Australian friends we were gong to the "outback" for the weekend, they laughed when we told them that it was Wolgan Valley and said that the REAL outback was another hour away. After a few more incidents like this we stopped calling it the "outback" and started calling it the "halfback."

(click on image to enlarge photo)
This is Chris, Garance's assistant. Everywhere we turned was another photo-op. With the landscapes, animals, and food, this place truly made me fall in love wth the idea of photography outside of the big city.



I took this picture while riding my bike very fast, too fast in retrospect, on a bumpy dirt rode. I'm surprised that I got even one shot in focus.

Self-portrait of my shadow at sunset. The great/scary thing about these little grass-covered paths is that your bicycle moves so quietly that you can sneak up on a group of kangaroos before they even notice you. I wasn't particularly interested in surprising any kangaroos, so we spent a lot of time singing very loudly while we rode. Human League anyone?

I know that I'm a total city kid and I'm sure that some of you have wrestled bears and hunted dinosaurs, but for me, being this close to wild animals while on a mountain bike was pretty cool.

My primary reading material while flying to Berlin was a book on shooting better landscapes. Hopefully I will get a chance to shoot a few more soon. Maybe the Amish countryside could be cool?

Comments on "Garance's Birthday at Wolgan Valley Resort and Spa"

 

Blogger Chaucee said ... (6:50 PM) : 

I live in Amish country and it's beautiful. It would be nice to have a great photographer show it's beauty.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:50 PM) : 

Well as an avid dinosaur hunter myself...I can tell you that the Amish countryside is actually a very beautiful place. A bit on the dry and boring side though. I would actually suggest anywhere in Alaska though. While the winters are disturbingly harsh, it gets in the 90s during the summer. Plus an upside is seeing some of the interesting "fashion" Alaska has to offer. No lies. Musk Ox wool is 20 times softer than the best cashmere...and it's waterproof. :)

 

Blogger O Bernas said ... (6:55 PM) : 

great pictures !
:)

 

Anonymous Astrid Helene said ... (6:55 PM) : 

wow, love these pictures:)

 

Blogger Taylor said ... (6:56 PM) : 

I love how pretty it is there! The self-portrait on the bicycle is my favorite, though.

 

Blogger iferneinez said ... (6:56 PM) : 

i believe the best surprise shots come when you're riding. thanks for sharing!

 

Anonymous Emily said ... (6:58 PM) : 

I'm in love with your bike shot. So vast and going so quickly. You must've felt overwhelmingly free!

Emily
Harvard Style Blog
www.booksandliquor.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:03 PM) : 

as a student (that hopes one day I will be able to define myself as an artist) your photographs are truly inspiring; I've been admiring them for a while. But these landscape images really compelled me to comment and say thank you! :o) Now I have Australia, on top of thousands of locations I hope to visit and photograph, to look forward to as well.

 

Anonymous Lachy said ... (7:07 PM) : 

The Australian landscape is truly rugged, nothing really compares to it. It is truly overwhelming at times.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:12 PM) : 

I too live in Central PA and it is incredibly beautiful, especially during the spring and the fall. I think you also might like the city of Lancaster- it's admittedly small but it has tons of cool old places to visit, like Central Market, which is gorgeous and always full of interesting people.

 

Blogger Alisa said ... (7:19 PM) : 

I say Zion Canyon, in Utah. I know the American Southwest has been photographed to high heaven, but it is so, so, SO beautiful out there.
And, if you get lucky (like my family and I did), you may have the honor of a mountain lion marking its territory near your tent in the middle of the night.

=D

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (7:25 PM) : 

Australia reminds me of southern Utah (Arches National Park), just with more plants. :) All that red rock...

and I have to agree that Alaska is absolutely breathtaking. It is so vast, and everywhere you turn there's something else that needs to be photographed. I went there last summer and took way too many photos. If you want landscapes and wildlife, I can't think of a better place.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:31 PM) : 

I love these photos, the light is wonderful down under. Are kangaroos dangerous then? I particularily loved the photo of Garance in black and white.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:31 PM) : 

Scott, if you ever find yourself in Montreal (which you should do! It's the Paris of North America. Don't quote me on that) you should check out the Biodome. It's 4-5 simulated natural ecosystems all in one large pavilion that I believe was left over from the Olympic Games. It's pretty surreal for a city dweller to be able to walk into a building downtown and be in a real jungle, with 75 foot trees and parrots and sloths above. Certainly a huge step above any other "zoo" experience.

 

Anonymous bami1020@yahoo.com said ... (7:33 PM) : 

Wow, I've been living in Sydney for 16 years and never knew this place existed. My driving trip would usually stop in Blue Mountains. I gotta get out more often.
Thanks for the beautiful photos and I am definitely going to Wogan Valley this weekend. :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:35 PM) : 

Thank you Scott for these beautiful photo's and thoughts on my gorgeous rich country, I have moved to Southern California this year for approx 2 years, I miss home but I'm discovering new countries and places is good for the soul!

 

Blogger Lady Phillips said ... (7:37 PM) : 

Next time if you're in Australia around April/May, you should try and get to some little towns in Victoria, Beechworth and Bright are about 3 hours from Melbourne, and are AMAZING...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:38 PM) : 

I'm always on the hunt for beautiful Aussie vacation spots. It looks blissful.

You were right not to surprise the roos. Yikes!

Elaine

 

Blogger Just me... said ... (7:44 PM) : 

Beautiful photos capturing nature.

 

Blogger Kate Moore said ... (7:56 PM) : 

This is my neck of the woods. Actually, used to be. We moved to the coast, about four-five hours, from where this is, eight years ago and I still miss it. It's stunning isn't it? The light on that sandstone. The colours of an Aussie autumn, the big clear skies, the stars, the smell. That crisp clean morning air that can make your lungs smart if you suck it in too quickly. Happy birthday Garance, that's one hell of a way to spend it.

 

Blogger Madeline Veenstra said ... (7:59 PM) : 

Gorgeous! I've lived in Australia all my life and have never had the pleasure of going that far inland :) I'm definitely going to make a trip there.

 

Blogger Justin S. said ... (8:05 PM) : 

Try the Arizona desert in late summer it will be really hot (105+) but the monsoons make for some amazing sunsets. Plus with all of the rain the desert is in bloom! Sedona, AZ is always a good choice.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (8:05 PM) : 

Nice that you even blog about this. It's getting more personal than ever before.

 

Blogger Danny said ... (8:15 PM) : 

great photos!

http://bigmouthvintage.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:20 PM) : 

haha halfback. i like that.
this is such a beautiful place

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:23 PM) : 

you need to slow down! amish countryside is beautiful. as is the Q line in the mornings.

 

Anonymous Bear said ... (8:25 PM) : 

Nice work!

 

Anonymous gluttonforlife said ... (8:37 PM) : 

I live in Sullivan County--you've got your pick of black bears, eagles, hawks, wild turkey, deer, porcupine, racoons, river otters...etc. C'mon up!

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (8:37 PM) : 

May I recommend San Benito County? 100 miles south of SF, 45 miles northeast of Monterey, once you get on our back roads it IS the old west. Grassy hills, oaks, the occasional grayed redwood barn. (oh, and wineries).

 

Blogger Mimi said ... (8:49 PM) : 

Hi,

Great photos- coming from Australia- i would consider this almost outback! I am a city girl too : )
I was just wondering what camera you primarily shoot with?

x

M

 

Anonymous Seti@wan Dirgant@Ra said ... (8:49 PM) : 

fantastic..

 

Anonymous yas said ... (8:53 PM) : 

sounds like you both had a great time & nice break there.
love your b&w photo, Garance with a mag!
beautiful!

 

Blogger Erica said ... (8:54 PM) : 

Amazing!

www.poolovesboo.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Holly said ... (9:01 PM) : 

Great shots and wonderful setting. Thanks for sharing! Happy Birthday Garance!!!

 

Blogger Kar said ... (9:01 PM) : 

so amazing!!!!! i love ur blog! i think i remember seeing u in teen vouge or harper's, I can't remember. but so cool!

ur soooo lucky!!!! u get to travel a lot and take cool pictures!!

http://jajafashion.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Em said ... (9:09 PM) : 

This is where I grew up! Beautiful photos. And yes, relative to the size of Australia, this is an outer suburb of Sydney :-)

 

Anonymous enrique said ... (9:12 PM) : 

Urban landscapes can be just as sublime as landscapes of Yellowstone Park. The photos' subjects might be different but both nature and urban settings, if properly executed, capture the energy and the feel of either. Your portraits of NYC are just as 'cool.'

 

Blogger Lee Oliveira said ... (9:14 PM) : 

You make my country so much more beutiful with your photos!
Thank you, i really love your work Scott.
hope one day i get to meet you.
www.leeoliveira.com

 

Blogger Hal E. Liebling said ... (9:28 PM) : 

So gorgeous ... the Amish countryside is not too far from here, and it's pretty much boring as hell, plus they're super mean.

HALCOHOLIC.com

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (9:31 PM) : 

I am a total city person too . . . but this is fantastic. Bloody fantastic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 PM) : 

This is cool photos Scott. You make halfback looks amazing.

 

Blogger C. Anne said ... (9:47 PM) : 

I would loved to have sneaked up behind some kangeroos although I read that they can be pretty fierce too! Closest I came to living next to nature was 2 days in Kruger park which was wonderful.

 

Blogger Jo said ... (9:49 PM) : 

Forget the Amish country. Come to western North Carolina. Stay in Asheville. You are a short drive to the most beautiful scenery in the world (I may be a tiny bit partial) and you can stay in one of the most vibrant, artistic, energetic cities in the country. Natural landscape beauty plus some of the most eye-catching fashion you can imagine. Trust me on this one.

 

Blogger Jo said ... (9:51 PM) : 

Btw, I wasn't kicking the Amish country. It is indeed stunningly beautiful. And your pics of the "halfback" are gorgeous as well.

 

Blogger Alice Liddell Blog said ... (9:54 PM) : 

I'm so glad your found our "halfback" inspiring. And it's also very comforting to know that even a photographer as skilled as you is still learning things. Perhaps once you've mastered landscapes you can come back to the REAL outback!

http://wantwhatsheswearing.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Alice Liddell Blog said ... (9:54 PM) : 

I'm also very intrigued by this Musk Ox wool mentioned above by anonymous!!

 

Blogger Bec said ... (9:54 PM) : 

Love that your photos show the Aussie carefree lifestyle even away from the beach...

greetings from Adelaide, Australia

mitzilovesopshops.blogspot.com

 

Blogger chibi said ... (10:05 PM) : 

i was half-expecting a photo of a kangaroo lol
sounds like you enjoyed the halfback!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:12 PM) : 

You're right Scott, this is indeed a very beautiful part of the world; and I for one consider myself very lucky for growing up not very far away - although the area I grew up in was very much a "soft" area of the bush with lots of fruit, crops and wine being produced.

Alas though, the idea the outback is only an hour or so drive further away is a little off the mark. The Wogan Valley of Australia is barely the country, barely having left the metropolitan areas of Sydney.

If you were to travel another hour further on you will reach some great wine and fruit producing areas. You would need to go another three hours west to get to the bush, and then perhaps another three hours further to get to the beginning of the outback.

This doesn't take away in at all the beauty of this part of Australia at all. There is, however, a whole other part of Australia that would give you a whole gamut of other photo opportunities.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:27 PM) : 

Thank you for coming to visit our beautiful country. Australia is an amazing place and I am very proud to call it my home. I am originally from a rural area but have moved to the city in recent years. It is astounding the amount of beauty, that you can find in both places -- contast as it might.

 

Blogger Beny said ... (10:31 PM) : 

Uh Oh!!! i just can't wait for this post in Garance's Version.... ^^



Love,
Beny Ricardo Sadewo
http://showoffdotnu.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Dani said ... (10:35 PM) : 

Great shots I have had loads of fun at the halfback in the past.

 

Anonymous Julie Anne Rhodes said ... (10:58 PM) : 

Ah yes, photography in wide open, wild life filled terrain is a revelation! After a trip to East Africa I was forced to believe there had to be a great creator above. Even this imbecilic photographer managed some pretty incredible shots alla Peter Beard in my Out of Africa blog posts (archive September 2009).

Your photos are always breathtaking in the city or not.

 

Blogger beths said ... (11:18 PM) : 

I so enjoyed this series. Not only because I've got cabin fever and a trip to the country next week, but also because of your rich commentary.

 

Blogger Fazal deen said ... (11:20 PM) : 

I'm CraZy about the photo of you & your image on the
bike!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:32 PM) : 

These photos are totally deceptive, I live in Australia and have been all over the country to places like this. I'm not saying you're portraying unrealistic views, because The Wolgan Valley Resort and Spa obviously exists. Though People of the world, only about 1% of the Australian countryside looks like this. The rest is a barren, dusty, sunny, dry, boring wasteland.

 

Blogger Evie said ... (11:37 PM) : 

Yes! Come to Pennsylvania! We have cheesesteaks!

 

Blogger Dusk said ... (11:54 PM) : 

You seem to have developed a bit of a complex after the Russian girl "Queens" post... you're apologising for being an insular city boy all the time now!!

It's okay! be whatever you want to be, just don't stop exploring and you are STILL a brilliant photographer and getting deeper and better as a chronicler of human expression.

These are wonderful photographs. Next time you should do the extremes of Australia... the real outback :), the 'inback', the snow back and the sinback...

ps. I'm a hunt dinosaurs kinda gal. This can also be done in the big smoke.

 

Blogger *sunday* said ... (12:07 AM) : 

these photos are beautiful! i have lived in Australia for 10 years and havent been to the "halfback" or outback yet..

 

Anonymous ruya tabirleri said ... (2:16 AM) : 

I really like the pictures you've drawn
:) thanks

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:12 AM) : 

soooo pretty!! i'm a big fan!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:45 AM) : 

great shots

http://bulbizar.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Addict said ... (9:49 AM) : 

I love your bike shot. The scenery looks beautiful. Wish I was there.

http://outfitaddict.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05 AM) : 

Happy that you didn't mix up the GPS and went to Bogan Valley instead.

Love the outback, should go to northern Australia next time, visiting the Kimberley, the Kakadu etc. Amazing that the majority of Aussies do not know what a beautiful and inspiring country they have in their backyard and travel to Europe and the US instead.

 

Blogger Route Rover said ... (10:14 AM) : 

beautiful photos! i'm a real fan of your blog and the pictures you add.

 

Blogger joshylola said ... (10:37 AM) : 

Great photos! Nice Australia

 

Anonymous Lana said ... (10:37 AM) : 

To me, Virginia piedmont is absolutely gorgeous, lots of vineyards and old houses tucked away that feel like treasures when you come around a bend in the road and find them. Rolling hills, gorgeous horse farms, and vineyards. To me it can't get any better, but I may be biased!

 

Blogger MJCK said ... (10:40 AM) : 

Great photos, especially the one with Garance's assistant Chris. It's like spotting other human beings with cameras instead of spotting animals, haha.
Beautiful pictures. The one you made of your own shadow: every holiday I make at least one or two pictures of my own shadow. Somehow it never bores me.

 

Blogger VisteLaCalle said ... (10:42 AM) : 

just beautiful :)

 

Blogger Alexis S. Baker said ... (10:52 AM) : 

Yes! Come to Iowa's Amish country and do our little part of the country some justice. :) Thank you for pointing out the beauty in soft natural silhouettes, both in nature and in fashion.

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (10:58 AM) : 

I see the colors in the Nature and how they are mixed and i can learn how to combine colors with my clothes with harmony.
I love your shadow's selfportrait:you on your bycicle like a modern centaur.

 

Blogger beths said ... (10:59 AM) : 

Sart, I'm in complete agreement with Dusk at 9:13 a.m. Be yourself and challenge yourself. It's working.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:04 AM) : 

This artist has incredible landscape inspiration. Check it out....
charleswilliamsart.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 AM) : 

How about trying the Pacific Northwest? If you go to the San Juan Islands, there are fine bicycle routes, that's true of the Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island in British Columbia, too. One noteable thing about these islands is that there is a big interest in textiles,dyeing, weaving, etc. and it's not hard to key into a community in which folks are wearing beautifully colored hand-wovens. You might be able to see a few orcas while bicyling on the coasts, too.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:12 AM) : 

Beautiful countryside. x

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said ... (11:30 AM) : 

This, actually, sounds good - a perfect escape from the city. Love the last photo most of all - so peaceful!

 

Blogger Sondra said ... (11:43 AM) : 

You want Landscapes? MONTANA has Landscapes.
Come on Over!

 

Anonymous Mabel and Zora said ... (12:22 PM) : 

So inspiring.

 

Blogger davidikus said ... (12:38 PM) : 

The picture with the hat is very nice, even if the mountain is slightly cropped.

A belated happy 24th to Garance, then!

http://davidikus.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Jehane said ... (12:38 PM) : 

Isn't Australia beautiful? It makes me happy that people appreciate it too. Thanks for posting this, I'm living in Stockholm and miss my home country.

www.thecollectivepage.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 PM) : 

A day out on your bike is always an adventure! Thank you for teh beautiful photographs. Australia has now raised a notch on my list of future vacation destinations.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:50 PM) : 

Amazing Shots!!

 

Blogger Fashion Matters said ... (1:54 PM) : 

your blog is definitely the best!

 

Blogger Carly said ... (2:21 PM) : 

I always love hearing accounts from 'city kids' so to say, as a kid who spent her entire childhood (and even teenage-hood) with armfuls of frogspawn, tramping through woods, learning bird calls (i only know one :P) and inspecting everything slimy and wriggling i could find :P
although, english countryside is nowhere near as wild as australia- i'd love to go!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:35 PM) : 

So cool and looks so exciting! the landscapes are beautiful! :)

 

Blogger TYXK said ... (3:10 PM) : 

Garance is so cool.
She has such grace and sophistication.
I really aspire to her!

 

Anonymous http://www.littleblogofstyle.com/ said ... (3:28 PM) : 

such a beautiful location and photos.

 

Anonymous Art is Living, Living is Art said ... (4:34 PM) : 

To waterlemon,

Reading your line "that hopes one day I will be able to define myself as an artist" made me sad.

You don't need a B.A., M.A., P.H.D, or compliments from a pretentious, "established" artist to be able to define yourself as an artist. YOU ARE AN ARTIST! TODAY! AND EVERYDAY SINCE YOU WERE BORN!

Don't buy into this dichotomy of art and life. They are synonymous.

If you are living, you are an artist. Please start recognizing yourself as an artist today <3

With lots of love,
A fellow being

 

Blogger Mejambie said ... (4:39 PM) : 

Yay you were in my home country. But when are you coming to Antwerp Belgium? You know it's a fashion capital and there is a very good fashion school here!

 

Blogger cherry arceo said ... (4:39 PM) : 

Australia is love! :)) and happy birthday to Garance!

 

Blogger Heather Feemster said ... (4:46 PM) : 

These are amazing, you're hilarious, I love it. It's cool to watch you expand what you're doing.

 

Anonymous mabelmabel said ... (5:00 PM) : 

Where are the clothes?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:50 PM) : 

Nice work. Scott... Elisabeth Town (E-town) and the rest of Amish country are very beautiful. But really best seen in the Fall at Harvest. Like your Rodeo shots months ago you might see some interesting "fashion" that everyone in NYC is trying to gloome(sic) on right now. Like those guys wearing LL Bean hunting clothes in Manhattan. And the food and apple pies are to die for. Wait till Fall.

 

Blogger Angeles Almuna said ... (5:52 PM) : 

Thank you to sharing these fabulous photos, you are an amazing photographer with a special fashion sense.....and I love to have a pick of your life-environment everyday!
Kisses and happy weekend

www.angelesalmuna.com

 

Blogger That Girl in Pearls said ... (6:31 PM) : 

Absolutely stunning! This really made me smile.

Happy Friday!

Beatriz.
thatgirlinpearls.com

 

Blogger Sophie said ... (6:39 PM) : 

The Sartorialist in Amish Country!? Yes please! And you know what that means (well, to me the two are very connected, if not to anyone else), you'll be in Ohio, hopefully south eastern, it would be so awesome to attend a Satorialist event. In Pittsburgh or Cleveland would be awesome. Just putting that out there.
But to the original topic, I think you could find some great inspiration in Amish country in the Pennsylvania/Ohio area.

 

Blogger the nickel fit said ... (6:49 PM) : 

only a true city kid, can appreciate something like this :)

 

Blogger Helen said ... (7:04 PM) : 

It makes me think how magically beautiful our world is, wherever on the earth you go. And its all ours! It is beyond important to preserve the beauty of our natural areas.

All I know is, I will never be responsible for cutting down a tree, ever. But I will plant and protect many in my lifetime.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:17 PM) : 

these photos are absolutely stunning.



http://pieinmypants.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger fashionfauxpas said ... (8:11 PM) : 

The b/w shot with the shadow of you on the bike is fantastic. I am a cyclist, and this shot reminds me of the end of a long day in the saddle...when you are exhausted and happy.

 

Blogger Margo said ... (9:37 PM) : 

I'm curious to see how you branch out or if you do, into landscapes.

I'm also curious to know if that crack about the Amish is true. I live in Amish country and it is deeply beautiful to me, but it's not always showy in a calendar way. There is real contentment and health here, a true communal spirit for the Anabaptists. I know. I'm a Mennonite.

 

Anonymous Vanessa said ... (9:47 PM) : 

You get such beautiful shots of the countryside too. I agree that you should come out to Lancaster and shoot more of the 'simple life.' Only three hours from NYC!

And please let us know! I'm not far away at all.

Peace,
Vanessa

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 PM) : 

this is beautiful

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 PM) : 

landscapes and sartorialist! wow dream come true!

 

Blogger SarahELizand said ... (11:19 PM) : 

All these photos are beautiful especially the lighting in them, it makes my heart flutter@
I don't live to far out of NYC but when my cousins come up they are always surprised to see a baby deer or a turkey, my response is yeah whatever. Just goes to show I should appreciate it more. :)
that last photo is amazing, reminds me of a tree I see all the time. Oh one more thing if you do, do landscapes go out during sun rise it's the greatest thing to see. There's nothing quite like it.

 

Blogger Laura said ... (11:39 PM) : 

I feel like I just went on a vacation. Thanks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:41 PM) : 

The Australian outback is incredibly photogenic, which is nice because even a very very amateur photographer like me can manage some decent shots. Portraiture is much more difficult! Please visit again soon.

 

Blogger fashionweed said ... (1:52 AM) : 

wow. it's nice to see you out of the city! these photos are amazing. i love the self portrait.

 

Anonymous princess glee said ... (2:27 AM) : 

Wow! Reminds me of Monument Valley, Arizona, 'cept there's trees and grass instead of cactus. Oh, and not many kangaroo are found in Arizona. Anyway, the landscape is quite stunning.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:43 AM) : 

Half-back, I like that. I went to school near here, and we did our Duke of Edinburgh hikes out near that range. We got lost. It was beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:02 AM) : 

Wonderful pictures! I really enjoyed these

Polly x

 

Blogger erinbrooks said ... (5:32 AM) : 

A friend of mine just went on a huge tour through the Kimberly with Xavier Rudd, and she has some AMAZING shots from her time there.
Australia is just the most beautiful and amazing place that I've ever been. As someone who's moved to Oz from Ohio I really appreciate the wildlife as well. There's nothing wrong with being in awe :)
I think Amish country is a great choice, there's so much amazing culture to be found there, and it's so different to "normal" western life. You may run into some roadblocks though, the true Amish don't really like having their picture taken.
But landscapes would probably be okay...
Good luck! I look forward to seeing what you do next!

 

Blogger Ly said ... (5:45 AM) : 

the 4th one is stunning!

 

Blogger faina_jablochkina said ... (6:30 AM) : 

love it!

http://fainajablochkina.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Christinnnna said ... (7:08 AM) : 

great photos! x

 

Anonymous Daoud B said ... (7:24 AM) : 

Thats just so awesome pics! Like a dream almost!:)

 

Anonymous kids boots said ... (10:47 AM) : 

Awesome pictures. You never cease to amaze me. Great! Awesome! Spectacular!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 AM) : 

Just beautiful, I can almost feel that i'm there (it's actually making me a little homesick for Australia).

Miss B xx

http://agirlastyle.wordpress.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:12 PM) : 

The things that dreams are made of?

 

Anonymous New Orleans Photographer said ... (8:39 PM) : 

rural photography is often a more peaceful experience

 

Blogger Anan said ... (10:56 PM) : 

Come visit the Indiana Amish!

 

Anonymous Ian Milliss said ... (11:21 PM) : 

I live just up the road from here (Wallerawang) and the sad thing is that this valley is actually surrounded by coal mines. Nonetheless it's all very wild and beautiful but not at all outback, more like the furthest outer suburb of Sydney. The real outback is in fact about another three hours west.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:36 AM) : 

I am bursting at the seems. I grew up in the area and seeing the familiar mountains on your website is a real buzz. You are captured it rugged beauty magnificently. Glad you enjoyed the break there. Oh, and the outback would be about 4 more hours by car from Wolgan Valley : )

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:22 PM) : 

Come to Maine. It is more magical than you can imagine.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:47 AM) : 

You really should get to the outback sometime- its beyond fantastic. The aboriginal art matches the landscape; even from the air one can see the patterns which go into fabrics and artwork.
As for Amish country; it is truly beautiful, in a soft kind of way, but the poor Amish won't be photographed. However, there are conservative Mennonites who will allow their pix to be taken- if you go you can get the details on the difference... beautiful, bucolic times.
As for other pastoral scenes, how about The Netherlands in early summer? lovely....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:47 AM) : 

As Matt earlier said, Tasmania is definitely worth a look for a special Australian experience. Not at all like the mainland. Hobart alone is great to get a culture fix, especially over summer. I can't wait for MONA to open in Jan 2011!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:34 AM) : 

I grew up in a small town in country NSW called Mudgee and later moved to Sydney for school. These are familiar sites to me as I drove past this valley all the time. Thank you for capturing my home so beautifully.

 

Anonymous handh said ... (8:11 PM) : 

nice to see some landscapes and totally agree about the outback. IT'S GREAT.

 

Anonymous Ruthie said ... (8:11 AM) : 

Halfback?! Scott that's only quarterback in my book!

For a surreal and very beautiful Australian outback experience try the opal fields of Lightning Ridge - a portrait photographers dream.

That said, Wolgan Valley is just to die for. The light is really something...

 

Anonymous Lalalalla said ... (7:05 AM) : 

Come back to Australia soon!
Sod those who say it's not outback. It's outback enough!
The photos are beautiful.

 

Anonymous Allie said ... (9:31 AM) : 

Gorgeous shots!! Nature is just as fashionable sometimes as people :-)

 

Blogger Jd said ... (12:53 AM) : 

Yes!! The Amish got it goin' on too, maybe some Philly shooting while your down here. I can't be certain, but don't some of the Amish hand-tailor their clothes as well? It's worth the investigation good sir.

 

Blogger ... said ... (10:52 PM) : 

I love that you appreciate the natural beauty of Australia, a country so often overlooked in the art world. Your photos from Sydney always have me double-taking, "That's not Australia...?"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 PM) : 

I live in Australia and we have many beautiful places... I used to live in the nations capital, Canberra, and occassionally when I rode to work I would see kangaroos or wallabies as they bound past. Captivating.
Also, we have the best beaches IN THE WORLD ( well at least the whitest sand)
THanks for the beautiful photos.

 

Anonymous Tiffany said ... (8:17 PM) : 

Awesome shots! I would love to tour the outback! ...or halfback =}

Free Credit Score

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 PM) : 

STUNNING!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:43 PM) : 

how about the amana colonies in iowa outside of cedar rapids... mmm? you'll see why i need pages like yours to get fashion inspiration, because I'm definitely not getting it around here!

 

Anonymous childrens footwear said ... (7:45 PM) : 

I missed going for a vacation.The pictures were really cool.The place looks very relaxing and the mountain biking ride is a great activity.I think i have to schedule a vacation at the province.

 

Anonymous Vancouver Spa said ... (6:17 AM) : 

Your pictures is very fine..i like it also that is one of the best place for vacation. Great Post

 

Anonymous plumbing said ... (8:05 AM) : 

I am studying hard because I always dream to travel to some place like that. Very inspiring and peaceful.

 

Anonymous double glazing said ... (6:08 AM) : 

Your photos are truly amazing. This adventures really makes me smile.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting