This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

At the Flea Market with Rei, Tokyo p.1

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

At the Flea Market with Rei, Tokyo p.1

Comments on "At the Flea Market with Rei, Tokyo p.1"

 

Blogger TheStreetFashion5xpro said ... (9:52 AM) : 

amazing images...tokyo is incredible

 

Blogger christinaooi said ... (9:53 AM) : 

I love it! Especially the last girl. She looks so happy. I'm also in love with her t-shirt. :)

 

Blogger Mari Pickford said ... (9:56 AM) : 

I want to be there!!! Nothing to do with the Flohmarkt in the German town I'm living in!
I'm really enjoying your pics from Japan!

 

Blogger Em said ... (9:59 AM) : 

The girl in the last picture, such a 'sunny' feel to her look and smile :) love her hat!

 

Anonymous Kazuko said ... (10:01 AM) : 

i've been at one flea market in japan, and it was so freakin' expensive... anyways, lovely pictures!

 

Blogger C. Anne said ... (10:10 AM) : 

I didn't know the Japanese did flea markets too! I'll bet there are some truly unique pieces to be found. The last seller looks great, all dressed up with her long gloves and red clutch.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 AM) : 

Please enough with the japanese aesthetics I just dont get it!!!!

 

Blogger Catherine said ... (10:18 AM) : 

I'm really loving your photos from Tokyo! Each outfit and person is so different from the next— completely unique style. Thanks for sharing!

- Catherine at Littlehouse of Style
http://littlehouseofstyle.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Closet full of hopes and dreams said ... (10:19 AM) : 

Oh, I just wanna BE there!!!! I love treasure hunting!

 

Blogger Yoli said ... (10:22 AM) : 

I'd kill to be there! You have me spellbound.

 

Anonymous michael edwards said ... (10:22 AM) : 

hmmm, a flea market is a flea market, no? reminds me of the ones they used to have on 6th avenue before all the rental towers went in...

 

Anonymous The Photodiarist said ... (10:24 AM) : 

Am so loving your Japan photos!

 

Blogger ColorHater said ... (10:27 AM) : 

Great pics :)
It seams like I need to go there too :)

http://fashion-colorhater.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:30 AM) : 

it seems lovely. i want to go i want to go, maybe i also want to be japanese for a while ;-)

 

Blogger madeleine said ... (10:34 AM) : 

Absolutely love these.

 

Blogger lintmag said ... (10:41 AM) : 

Well, did you buy anything??? I love flea markets.

 

Anonymous Katie said ... (10:43 AM) : 

Why are your Tokyo pictures in multiples (except for the Anglo-looking one from the other day), while everywhere else the individuals get their own entry?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 AM) : 

If you can go to Kyoto, the flea market there is great too. In the 90s you could get old summer spa kimonos for 450 yen, or 3 dollars at the time.

 

Blogger FlashFash said ... (10:52 AM) : 

Fantastic pictures! Love Rei, she looks really cute! :)

http://flashfashfash.blogspot.com

 

Blogger mariel said ... (10:54 AM) : 

i like the multiples! do multiples everytime! lol peas?

 

Blogger davidikus said ... (10:54 AM) : 

All these colours make for a wonderful series, especially those scrumptious blues. Well done.

http://davidikus.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger The Jazzy Belle said ... (10:58 AM) : 

So much amazing color in these photos!! I love the chaos!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 AM) : 

the last one if beautiful.

 

Blogger Comme Coco said ... (11:21 AM) : 

Awww those boys!!

 

Blogger NobodyKnowsMarc said ... (11:23 AM) : 

I love this market..!
www.nobodyknowsmarc.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous proletarian Great Gatsby said ... (11:23 AM) : 

Style at the flea market.Everything is possible in Japan.Thank you for share it with us.

 

Blogger Ms. Bunbury said ... (11:26 AM) : 

Lovely pics! Love the coloured atmosphere..msbx

http://teatimedamsbunbury.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Breezy said ... (11:33 AM) : 

I would love to see more of Rei, please! I just can't get enough of her amazing clothes and those little cloven-toe shoes.

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (11:41 AM) : 

Awesome photos! This flea market looks incredible. x

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Anonymous satotake said ... (11:55 AM) : 

welcome to Japan!
How long are you going to stay?
Good trip!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:02 PM) : 

I'm going to Tokyo in two weeks time. Any chance you could tell me where this one is located?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 PM) : 

these pictures are so inspiring!

http://neneinstyle.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:18 PM) : 

I thought, for a moment, that was Yoko Ono in the first picture.

 

Blogger Lisa Petrarca said ... (12:18 PM) : 

They seem to all be enjoying themselves! Love all the patterns, colors & styles.

 

Blogger minima said ... (12:22 PM) : 

there are this sort of flea markets here in Mexico too but they're not just as chic :P

 

Blogger Fernando Lutterbach said ... (12:32 PM) : 

Excelent! It´s really amazing.

 

Blogger Misha Lulu said ... (12:36 PM) : 

I wish I was there!!!!!!

 

Blogger satoshi. said ... (12:39 PM) : 

Wonderful composition!!!

 

Anonymous Takeru said ... (12:57 PM) : 

Great pictures!

 

Blogger thwany said ... (1:02 PM) : 

this is beautiful

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:04 PM) : 

gotta get me that james brown doll!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:16 PM) : 

Rei! I love her :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:23 PM) : 

I love the last picture, she is all dressed up, tee shirt over tee shirt, elegant black gloves and red satin clutch, nylons, and is... sitting on the ground.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:30 PM) : 

Ah the wonderful universality of flea markets! Wish I could travel the world and sample them everywhere. Thanks for a glimpse into one in a far away place. The color and chaos of this one brings on that thrill of the hunt for me!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:34 PM) : 

I've been to flea markets all over the world - this one looks great! Great pix - everyone looks very interesting and happy.

 

Blogger shots.of.dna said ... (1:38 PM) : 

Is that the flea market in Sendagaya?! On Saturday?! I was there, so weird!

 

Blogger Lorena said ... (1:38 PM) : 

Great set of photos, the children are so cute! I imagine there are some incredible treasures to be found at the Tokyo Flea...

http://ganymedekids.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous jaine said ... (1:45 PM) : 

love the bobble head!

www.brklynview.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:20 PM) : 

Love swap meets... some of my favorite finds are buried in the mass of stuff there...

xox

glamalert.com/glambassador

 

Anonymous princess glee said ... (2:24 PM) : 

Ooh I have fond memories of a flea market in Tokyo where I found a skirt with the coolest print ever on it. That was 1981, I still wear it and it still gets compliments.

 

Blogger J. said ... (2:24 PM) : 

The photo with the children sword fighting is great. The kid on the right looks incredibly sharp and sophisticated while the child on the left is rocking a great colour combination!

I wonder what their parents were wearing......

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:26 PM) : 

The top photo looks like Charlize Theron shopping in Arrested Development...quality.

 

Blogger be.aoi said ... (2:27 PM) : 

waaauuww..i want to be there!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:36 PM) : 

Funny how it seems to be such an American affection...looks like the Japanese have once again mastered what we thought was ours alone and surpassed us once again!!

RIP J. Dilla JAY LOVE JAPAN
RIP James Brown BODY HEAT

 

Blogger EML said ... (2:50 PM) : 

The girl in the last picture is just incredible!

 

Blogger Izzen said ... (3:33 PM) : 

i want tokyo. end of.

http://izzenxoxo.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Christina said ... (3:57 PM) : 

OMG...James Brown just made me laugh out loud! Thanks!

 

Blogger Anna said ... (4:22 PM) : 

Everyone's so ritzy hipster. its crazycool

 

Blogger Catalina said ... (4:31 PM) : 

again... the american iconography in these pictures is so profound...

the hippies/bohemians of the 60s and 70s/the musical references/the typeface of the flea market banner...

 

Anonymous men's t-shirts said ... (4:42 PM) : 

Japanese 'vintage' shopping has got to be the best around!

 

Anonymous Jay said ... (4:55 PM) : 

can someone revognize which camera the lady is holding/using?

cheers

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:01 PM) : 

I want to be at that flea market!!!! I wish it was in Maine and not in Japan...
Amazing photos. I love the kids fighting with light sabers!

 

Blogger Those For Bad Boys said ... (5:14 PM) : 

japan has a distinct culture..what makes it and its people so special, is their architecture and culture i believe...like new york, milan , london...its all about buildings then us being shaped by them..thanx for these lovely shots!

 

Anonymous Stacey Kay said ... (5:16 PM) : 

Breathtaking! I am absolutely in love with these images! Makes me want to pack up right now and go there. LOVE flea markets.

For anyone who is interested in more vintage clothing styles, check out my blog! www.goodwillhuntingg.blogspot.com It is my passion!

 

Anonymous Mariine said ... (5:21 PM) : 

Really nice pictures. I love the colours and the happiness.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:56 PM) : 

how vintage, bright, and cute! i love this! the little Japanese boys fighting with swords is adorable, those two remind me of my cousins. The clothes the others are all wearing is so (the best i can describe it) pretty, chic and fearless, it's hard to pull off cute vintage pieces like that. gosh, i wish my local flea market was that amazing...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:19 PM) : 

Incredible colors and amazingly vibrant people. They even rock that James Brown!

 

Blogger Spokey said ... (7:34 PM) : 

I love this flea market. Wish I could be there!

 

Blogger Milt-fresh_best-dressed said ... (7:52 PM) : 

GREAT PHOTOZ. I'M NOT A FAN OF CHUCK TAYLORZ(ACTUALLY I HATE EM) BUT IT LOOKZ LIKE THIZ PARTICULAR FLEA MARKET HAZ A LOT OF GREAT GEMZ AND FINDZ.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:16 PM) : 

the man playing guitar on top of a heap of clothes.. i want to be there. its so amazing! everyone seems so friendly and happy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:34 PM) : 

For a split second, I thought: "Yoko Ono???" And then a few frames further down and look...it could just about be John Lennon! Fabulous stuff.

 

Blogger Joan said ... (9:19 PM) : 

How did you stumble across this flea market? It looks like such fun.

Hello Dasein!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:30 PM) : 

I just did a second view of all the flea market photos. There was something I couldn't put a finger on and now just realized what it is. Everyone in your photo is so slim. I hate to criticize my fellow Americans, but if you wandered around flea markets here you would never see such consistently slim looking people shopping.

 

Anonymous Hanh said ... (9:34 PM) : 

These are the best, especially that of the kids at play. I'm a little tired of the pictures of consumerism at work, though many are taken with flair.

 

Blogger Amy said ... (9:34 PM) : 

I feel like I should be playing a Beatles song while looking at this. And that is a good thing. It looks like a perfect day. Beautiful!

 

Blogger Broadway said ... (1:02 AM) : 

The picture with the two kids sword fighting has to be one of my all time favorite sartorialsit photoes ever! (already). I'm not even one of those people who sees kids and goes "oh thats sooooo cute". I like it for something else entirely, something which i can't really explain. There is so much about this photograph that I love, the poses, the toys, the playing, even the outfits and the background. That and i think it brings be back to a time when me and my brother played like that.

Also love the pic with the guy and his guitar

 

Anonymous FvaD. said ... (2:53 AM) : 

I <3
My Sister lives near Tokyo, thinking of heading there soon, now !

 

Anonymous Cecylia said ... (4:30 AM) : 

The girl in the last picture is stunning!

 

Anonymous Meera said ... (6:37 AM) : 

I must say that I am absolutely loving and enjoying your Japan photos! Feel very inspired after looking at them...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:00 AM) : 

Some how the Japanese can make the ridiculous look cool

 

Anonymous Nickie Frye said ... (9:54 AM) : 

Ok, that's it. I'm booking a flight to Tokyo right now!

 

Blogger pinky said ... (10:42 AM) : 

that japanese flea market was a treasure trove!!!
thank you for sharing the images of so many beautiful and interesting people.

 

Blogger Little Lovables said ... (11:15 AM) : 

wow, what an amazing and colorful place!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:41 AM) : 

What camera is she holding in the first picture? Does anyone know?

 

Blogger HIROMI IGUCHI said ... (8:45 PM) : 

amazing photos, look like you have been shot on films.. i love your work!

 

Blogger DoReeNda said ... (9:01 PM) : 

I love vintage clothes and the thrill of finding one-of-a-kind piece. I need to go to more in L.A. I also like seeing the different styles of people around the world. It helps to inspire my own.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:47 AM) : 

The camera she is holding is a Panasonic GF-1 with 20mm "pancake" lens. It really looks cool at this shot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:19 AM) : 

Does Rei have a flickr account? I see her with a camera attached to her arm in every photo. I'd love to see what she's shooting!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:26 PM) : 

I love the feeling of the two little kids. They really seem to reflect the spirit of series of pictures: fearless, fun, cute, eclectic, individual ... I could go on and on! They are adorable! Also, that is one of the examples of the right photo at the right moment.

 

Blogger Tanya Dempsey said ... (6:28 PM) : 

I dream of going to flea markets like this...

(sigh)

http://novembergrey.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Alice said ... (7:25 AM) : 

They dress as if they were paintings

 

Anonymous Victoria said ... (12:11 PM) : 

wow, I love this pictures, specially I get impressed about the photocamara from the first one. Could you tell me which type of model or brand it is? it´s so cool! I´d like to get the same!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:06 AM) : 

I really wanna know what kind of black boots that the guitar guy is selling~

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:18 AM) : 

so great..

http://bulbizar.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger cutty07 said ... (8:48 PM) : 

Great pictures!

This brings back some great memories.

I miss Japan, what a great place....

It is amazing there, the Japanese people use fashion as an identity and do it so well.

Thanks.

J.

 

Blogger Beth Ruby said ... (2:24 PM) : 

Great shots, love the vibrant colours.
My favourite has to be the one of the little kids playing with toy swords though, what a capture!

 

Blogger Insight said ... (9:30 PM) : 

Hi I´m from Chile,really love this blog it take me to another dimension its great!

 

Blogger Kathleen said ... (11:08 AM) : 

I've studied this series over and over again. They take me back to the 80's (Here I go again) when we used to go to giant flea markets looking for hip vintage clothing to spice up our outfits. We looked for silver Bolo's, thin ties, mens trousers and blazers, fedoras, cool pumps from the 50's, sexy vintage intimate items... And of course, red cowboy boots! We had so much fun and always made new friends. One day I met a man named Jimmy Rooster, he is a musician and old friend I've lost contact with. He introduced me to Iggy Pop and Brian Ferry's music.
Wow, I miss seeing him. Old memories and good times.

 

Blogger Hiromi said ... (2:28 PM) : 

Great pictures! I really miss Tokyo!

 

Blogger Paper Stars said ... (3:11 PM) : 

Tokyo is the best! Everyone is dressed to their own perfection<3

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:32 AM) : 

wow its sunnier then expected :) so much colour!

 

Blogger Zbarsky said ... (5:41 AM) : 

I love the colours in these photos!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting