This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Man-shawl p.2, Pitti Uomo

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, January 31, 2010

On the Street....Man-shawl p.2, Pitti Uomo

Comments on "On the Street....Man-shawl p.2, Pitti Uomo"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:57 PM) : 

not sure i'm into a shawl on a man. is anyone else seeing this?

 

Blogger A Gluten Freestyle said ... (1:58 PM) : 

Perfect knit. Perfect sunlight.

 

Blogger Alley Kurgan said ... (2:01 PM) : 

i love shawls on women- i didn't think it would work... until i saw these men! Cant wait to get myself a nice light cashmere scarf and shawl it around town!
thanks for these finds!

 

Blogger iliketweet said ... (2:02 PM) : 

He looks great, love the asymmetrical hair colours that complement his outfit.

I want his cardigan, may I steal it please?

http://iliketweet.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger the style crusader said ... (2:07 PM) : 

i love this. i like that both shawl photos have such deep browns in them... and plaids... and hats. would love a jumper with anchors on it like the one he is wearing.

really lovely and a trend i definitely have not noticed yet... hopefully more people will start wearing shawls like this. xx

 

Blogger NVA said ... (2:08 PM) : 

man shawl rock...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 PM) : 

amazing like always!

 

Blogger Carly said ... (2:14 PM) : 

What lovely styling. Although i'm not so sure about the hair peaking from the hat.

www.dressedupdown.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous suzy said ... (2:18 PM) : 

looks great!

 

Blogger istanbul fashion addict said ... (2:23 PM) : 

His knit cardigan is beautiful.I liked the details.


check out all loaded istanbul fashion week 2010 runway photos of mine:

http://istanbulfashionaddict.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger M said ... (2:27 PM) : 

I really love the mix of colors and textures, but I'm not so sure about the shawl...

http://spottedbym.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Thays said ... (2:30 PM) : 

Lovely colors

 

Blogger Eternal Worrier said ... (2:40 PM) : 

I quite like that but Im not sure if it will catch on round my way...

 

Anonymous lemonforbreakfast said ... (2:43 PM) : 

Nice pic!! :)

 

Blogger Tim said ... (2:45 PM) : 

Fantastic. That wisp of hair compliments his outfit beautifully!

 

Anonymous SNAP! said ... (2:48 PM) : 

saweet!

 

Blogger C A said ... (2:52 PM) : 

His jacket looks like a Joseph jacket

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (2:52 PM) : 

Great idea! Very Marcello Mastroianni. Wonderful!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:53 PM) : 

Love the idea! Very Marcello Mastroianni. WONDERFUL!

 

Blogger Megan said ... (2:54 PM) : 

Layering at its finest.

 

Blogger Valquíria L said ... (2:56 PM) : 

Great shot! I really loved the textures.

 

Anonymous Edgar C said ... (3:05 PM) : 

awesome

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:06 PM) : 

Now this hat is one I like a lot, but I think I'd like this photo even more if I could see his hair. I'd love to see that two-toned hair revealed.

 

Blogger Marc Chehade said ... (3:07 PM) : 

Beautiful blend of colors and textures! I wish more men in America would enjoy the beauty of shawls.

http://andthingsofthisnature.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Klever Girl said ... (3:14 PM) : 

something about the blend of all these textures just works. I'd love to see what he's carrying in his arm, looks like a lovely coat...

 

Blogger SabinePsynopsis said ... (3:29 PM) : 

Cute! He wears his shawl beautifully.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:32 PM) : 

The anchors make this for me.

 

Blogger anthony said ... (3:34 PM) : 

He knows how to wrap a shawl. The jersey and its collar are really nice too.

 

Blogger Bell said ... (3:34 PM) : 

I love the shawl in men.

 

Blogger GFS said ... (3:43 PM) : 

These pics are great but I don't know how confident I would feel walking with a man who was rocking a shawl...I'd feel like he would fight me over some lipstick if it came down to it.

I must admit these men look confident in them though.

I have a question? Do you usually ask your subjects to pose for a pic or do you sneak one first, and then ask? Or maybe a combo of the two? Have you ever had anyone decline to have their photo taken?

Just curious:)

 

Blogger Figure5InGold said ... (3:52 PM) : 

The man-shawl is a beautiful thing!

 

Blogger what dia like said ... (3:52 PM) : 

why not!
www.whatdialike.com

 

Anonymous Indie Mom and the Reluctant Banker said ... (4:09 PM) : 

I like the shawl, it looks sort of feminine but it works for him. As does the brown colour palette. Very nice!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:10 PM) : 

Wow, what a stylish, sexy man.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:12 PM) : 

The purples and blues blend so nicely with his chunky brown cardigan! Lovely expression too.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:18 PM) : 

Interesting outfit

 

Blogger Alexia said ... (4:18 PM) : 

ahhh i love so much your pictures :) you are such a nice person, with such a nice eye

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:19 PM) : 

The rust colour running through the outfit - from the anchor motif through to the guy's hair - combined with that mix of patterns, is inspired! What an original look!

 

Anonymous Em said ... (4:35 PM) : 

This is new! I think these two gentlemen make this work.

Of course you're in Milan...

 

Blogger BrusselsSprout_Katharine said ... (4:39 PM) : 

He looks fantastic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:46 PM) : 

should be: man-shawl/floppy hat pt. 2

 

Anonymous hk said ... (4:58 PM) : 

the man-shawl is sexy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:07 PM) : 

magnifico!
veramente con stile!
bravissimo sartorialist!
cheers from greece ...hey!

 

Blogger John B Pritchett said ... (5:07 PM) : 

Hats are great! Nice to see so many lately in your photographs. Wool sweater? Whatever it is I love it!
johnbenjaminpritchett.blogspot.com

 

Blogger X said ... (5:12 PM) : 

Love the anchor detail on the pockets.

 

Blogger The Comet said ... (5:14 PM) : 

fetching and even a bit nautical ..



xxo HH

 

Anonymous Terry Corbett said ... (5:15 PM) : 

I love the scarf and the coat he's holding. Great photo Scott.

Check us out at: mysocietynewyork.com

 

Anonymous Lena said ... (5:18 PM) : 

Stilig karl!

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (5:22 PM) : 

love it.
love everything about it. especially the colors.

http://sarahbrown88.blogspot.com/

http://howidealwithdistance.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Jack Stat said ... (5:23 PM) : 

Looks warm and comfortable. It's one thing to look fashionable but to also have it be comfortable and warm is simply amazing. Love the shawl !

 

Blogger Lena said ... (6:01 PM) : 

That was awsome in lack of a better word right now. I love it!! And thanks for writing this blog too. It's one of my favorites.

 

Blogger FASHION SNAG said ... (6:11 PM) : 

Ohhh, great cardi jacket and I love the shawl over it once again! Also, that coat he is carrying looks gorgeous. Great shot. xo

www.FashionSnag.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:11 PM) : 

Where do I start? My God, he is perfect. There will be many who will say he is too contrived. But sometimes getting all the colors together is the right thing to do, especially when you do it like this! I love to see men doing things with scarves they wouldn't normally do, or think they shouldn't. Why not, I say. Look how wonderful he looks. I love this picture Scott.

 

Anonymous evelin said ... (6:12 PM) : 

I love how you can see that this hat has been worn a lot. you often see people with hats trying to look "cool", but this man really makes it work.

Any chances one might see you during london fashion week, scott?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:12 PM) : 

:):)

 

Anonymous Allie P. said ... (6:17 PM) : 

this man is one of the rare few who can rock the man shawl or the "mawl"

 

Blogger Kate said ... (6:20 PM) : 

I love the maroon colour palette and that little bit of amber hair poking out from under his hat! Great photo!

 

Blogger The Concrete Commentator said ... (6:27 PM) : 

I like the anchors!! nice style

 

Blogger Angeles Almuna said ... (6:28 PM) : 

Interesting!
and of course fabulous shot!
Kisses

 

Blogger Miiicha said ... (6:32 PM) : 

That's just so nice!

|| M

 

Anonymous Nancy said ... (7:16 PM) : 

Man 1 and 2 workin' the shawl. It works!

 

Blogger Sarah Grace said ... (8:02 PM) : 

I just love this outfit. the knit is wonderful and the scarf too.

http://thebuzzonfashion.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Nini said ... (8:53 PM) : 

I'm always in awe with the style from Asian gentlemen you post, they always stand apart from a crowd.
I am a little late but I was very moved by your "Grace" post. I aspire to be a photographer and I have your book I flip through it a little while almost every day.
I'm from Mexico and I am going to New York for a couple of days this week, I am constantly thinking about getting to see the places and styles I've seen on your pictures, and maybe if I lucky run into you.
Thanks for everything

Sandra

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:55 PM) : 

Scott, I look forward to each day's postings and more examples of your beautiful, crisp photography.

Most of the time, I'm inspired by the senses of style you showcase. Every now and then, like with this shot, I wonder if you're yanking our chain a bit just to check whether we're paying attention.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:00 PM) : 

In both of these looks, I like that the shawl gives a gentle artsy feel while both subjects have facial hair and hats that add masculinity and ruggedness. Interesting.

 

Blogger andrea.at.the.blue.door said ... (10:43 PM) : 

There is a great history of "man-shawls;" subtly woven and elegantly wrapped and tied, they should only make a come-back.

 

Blogger brendan stampley said ... (10:55 PM) : 

i love it.

http://beauteexterne.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Pickles & Coffee said ... (11:35 PM) : 

I am loving that sweater, and somehow that scarf/wrap around does not look gay, its crazy! great look

www.picklesandcoffee.com

 

Blogger Joy Mars said ... (12:56 AM) : 

Excuse me, but I wouldn't wear a shawl and I'm of the age and gender that's supposed to.
Shawls aren't practical. They don't keep you warm in cold weather -- wool or (better) cashmere scarves around one's neck do.
This is just a weird fashion affectation.
But in summertime shawls are lovely with sleeveless apparel. They're graceful and fun. I'd like to see either one of these guys wearing a pashmina at a summer party! Something tells me they would never even think of such a thing.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:37 AM) : 

very nice also visit...

http://desicracks.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger SnapandPrint said ... (2:03 AM) : 

Perfect knit and his hat ties in with the colour scheme of his outfit well. Great photo.

 

Blogger Diane said ... (3:03 AM) : 

He has interesting hair, but the man in part.1 was much more stylish if you ask me :)

kiss

 

Blogger thwany said ... (3:29 AM) : 

he makes me want to dye my hair

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:31 AM) : 

What a nice cardigan, wooly, and warm...lovely! My boyfriend has a U-NI-TY one, that's so cosy...I always steal it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:42 AM) : 

Ok, I have to say that it works on them, or when I am sitting outside in the garden reading a book. But I would not be able to pull this off in the "outside world".

 

Blogger AnAzevedo said ... (5:54 AM) : 

cooooolllllll. Love it!

 

Blogger burgundy lips said ... (6:11 AM) : 

love the jacket, love all your work!
Kiss!

 

Blogger Sophisticated Misfit said ... (7:02 AM) : 

I don't know about this shawl business on men. Unless you're a shepherd or mountain man, you're always going to come across as a poser, amirite? I could wear it as I've been both a shepherd in southern Italy and mountain man in northern Italy. But to see city people imitating the ways of those that are often looked down upon by those that are now mirroring their clothing is LOL worthy.

Très désolé, but I don't buy their pretend ruggedness.

-Pietro

 

Blogger An Aesthete's Lament said ... (7:56 AM) : 

The only thing I don't like about this outfit is that I don't own it. It's pretty perfect, great layering, great juxtaposition of textures, terrific palette.

 

Anonymous le lapin amoureux said ... (8:02 AM) : 

love the way he tied the shawl and how comfortable he felt with it. his hair highlights the different tones of brown. nice.

 

Anonymous Tanja said ... (8:28 AM) : 

wow i really love the pattern and colors on the jacket!

 

Anonymous Carole said ... (8:50 AM) : 

it looks like shawl goes with hat & warm brown colors :) he is very stylish indeed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:56 AM) : 

Gee, I don't like this look. Podgy old hat, shawl, and sweater. Compare to that wonderful young man last week in the Rue St Honoré with the neat hair and hat.

Save the rest for old age in front of the fire.

 

Blogger Anna said ... (9:30 AM) : 

Perfect details of bright yellow on the cardigan.

 

Anonymous Corinas said ... (9:35 AM) : 

I love this one, very artistical
:-) Great blog!

 

Anonymous Juliet said ... (11:08 AM) : 

I love them both, and if they are with a woman who has a chill, they can easily warm her without losing a coat!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 AM) : 

love that anchor detail stitched into the sweater.

 

Blogger davidikus said ... (11:37 AM) : 

Another splash of brown and orange, really! A major trend for this winter I guess (in retrospect) now. Good job you spotted it.

Aren't those male shawls simply scarves that have been unfolded?

http://davidikus.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:48 AM) : 

This isn't really so much a shawl to me as another way for a man to wear a large scarf--and I think it looks fabulous! The color and pattern associations hedre are just so creative and individual!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 PM) : 

It's nice to see Asian men for their fashion sense!

 

Blogger modernhaus said ... (1:46 PM) : 

What's more interesting to me as a trend is the nautical anchor theme on his sweater. Interiors are starting to show a lot of this, as well. Interesting how they're converging.
http://modernhaus.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger bravegrrl said ... (2:29 PM) : 

love it in entirety

xo
bravegrrl.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous jane said ... (3:34 PM) : 

agreed on glorious anchor details. he looks comfortably funky, and i dig that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:41 PM) : 

Great cowichan sweater and shawl look.

 

Anonymous Ala said ... (3:44 PM) : 

Love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:38 PM) : 

I love a man with a big scarf, and the "p.1" photo guy is rockin it...but this guy looks too grandmotherly. That shawl would be borderline matronly on a woman, especially tied like THAT. A woman might still be able to pull it off with a dress, but over a chunky sweater? Hang on, let me get my bifocals...... NO. This is not sexy androgyny, this is the worst of both worlds.

 

Anonymous Danny V said ... (4:58 PM) : 

♥ love this man's look

 

Anonymous thomas said ... (5:04 PM) : 

Does anybody know the brand of the shawl ?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:17 PM) : 

This man's style seems to be bohemian and effortless. However, the meticulously-tied scarf seems to belie the latter, and seems a bit contrived.

 

Blogger Cory Ellen said ... (1:07 AM) : 

Great knit, great layering. As someone who knits, I love both the shawl-collar and the masculine shawl. Once you get past the stereotype of who should be wearing a shawl, they're surprisingly beautiful and versatile on men and women alike.

 

Blogger Olive said ... (3:27 AM) : 

Amazing, what beautiful knits and warm layers, the perfect winter outfit.

 

Blogger MissAnh said ... (1:00 PM) : 

Yes please! A bit Clint-Eastwood badness about men in shawls (yes, I know he was more into kerchiefs and ponchos, but same family).

 

Blogger A La Mode said ... (3:11 PM) : 

What a beautiful man!

http://girlalamode.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger LOwe said ... (7:21 PM) : 

nice !!! http://lealowe.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:23 AM) : 

That sweater is AMAZING!

- www.21Arrondissement.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:56 AM) : 

I've found my grandmother's cardigan theif

 

Blogger Christine said ... (12:02 PM) : 

I love this: feminine, masculine and oh so warm.

 

Blogger ashley said ... (11:05 PM) : 

i love this. it reminds me of cape coats in the 1800s.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 PM) : 

i love his knitted jacket with the little anchor there. that's so cute.

 

Blogger rOmAni said ... (6:44 PM) : 

A beautiful man with a great combination of simple, sexy, elegant, delicate, masculine and comfy.

 

Blogger bien venido a mi sitio web said ... (6:54 PM) : 

This is great--not many guys would dare to wear a shawl.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting