This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Grey Suit, Milan

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, August 21, 2009

On the Street....Grey Suit, Milan


How do they do it?
Without fail, no matter the miserable weather outside, September fashion magazines make me start dreaming of flannels and cashmere.

I guess I am partly to blame. I took this photo of a Cucinelli suit in Milan recently, for the September issue of GQ, and have been thinking about it ever since. Shame on me.

Comments on "On the Street....Grey Suit, Milan"

 

Blogger Monika Poppy said ... (11:01 AM) : 

cool


http://www.monikapoppy.com/
LOVE FROM MONIKA POPPY
LIVING AND LOVING IN LONDON TOWN

 

Blogger pink avenue said ... (11:03 AM) : 

he looks stunning. you're right — as soon as september glossies hit the stands, i'm craving scarf and boots weather.

http://onpinkavenue.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (11:08 AM) : 

Put away that credit card. It is a great suit, although I expect you will hear quite a bit about how short the pants are. Sart, at least you dont live in South Florida- it does not cool down here until late October or even November, so we still have a bit to go before we can take the cashmere out of the closet. Congrats on the GQ piece. Jorge from WPB

 

Blogger Roar said ... (11:08 AM) : 

I love a well-fitted suit on a man. Especially a grey one. I also love the tie, which matches the ensamble. And the buttons, which kind of matches the shoes... Even though I'm not very fawn of matching. But this doesn't bother me. Thumbs up!

 

Blogger Commarrah Jewelia, ComCom, Qamar, CoCo, Moonface, ect... said ... (11:11 AM) : 

Well I mean they are the descendants of ancient Gods. It's been a long time, but maybe the magic of old had translated to hanging a suit well and keeping sexy in heat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:13 AM) : 

This is flawless. Bravo!

 

Blogger K said ... (11:15 AM) : 

Ok, that needs to be found in a womens version- simply perfection!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

He looks stunning! Wonder if a pop of color would have been good (maybe a colorful handerchief in that suit pocket??)

 

Blogger A Colourful Guy Drowning said ... (11:20 AM) : 

Yeah, I was going to mention the cropping of the pants; Thom Browne's influence has reached Milan it seems. A damned shame really! LOL! ;)

 

Blogger JouJou Loves You said ... (11:22 AM) : 

Ahhhhh this hurts so good. The tie!!!! OH OH OH the tie!!!!

I'm a sucker for crisp white shirts. Oooph

 

Anonymous Dreamer in Canada said ... (11:26 AM) : 

Something about the tie bugs me. It might be that it is a skinny one and I am more accustomed to wider ties, or perhaps it is the way it sticks out of the jacket.

But I love the crispness of the suit, truly calls of Autumn, and I love the pose a real man at work checking his pager.

I love the shoes by themselves. They are beautiful but I'm not sure if they go with the rest of the outfit.

 

Blogger James Jean said ... (11:28 AM) : 

Scott, you really know how to keep our pockets full and imaginations at bay, huh? Magnificent!

 

Blogger Jo said ... (11:46 AM) : 

That is one sharp looking suit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:05 PM) : 

Nice fit, a good clean look. However, I do not care for the look of shortened trousers with a suit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:17 PM) : 

Everything about this if impeccable. I love it.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (12:20 PM) : 

He looks sharp. I love how neutral it all is. Elegant.

 

Blogger thwany said ... (12:24 PM) : 

so sharp, love it.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:38 PM) : 

I.
want.
that.
suit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:44 PM) : 

sharp suit, though the pants do look too short.

nice to see a man actually using the pockets in his suit coat.

and those pesky italians will wear brown shoes with any color of suit and pull it off. how do they manage THAT?

 

Anonymous Thomas said ... (1:01 PM) : 

This guy made my day... amazing!

 

Blogger G. R. Mardock said ... (1:08 PM) : 

Can't complain with this ensemble at all. I love everything about it.

Maybe if he were starting to go gray on top.

Mmm... I can't wait to start going gray myself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 PM) : 

Can someone tell me why the Italians wear their pants so short? I'm assuming this is the style but it looks odd to me. Otherwise they look sublime. :)

 

Blogger C. said ... (1:28 PM) : 

Great photo.

 

Anonymous p.t. said ... (1:38 PM) : 

Not keen on the trousers, but looks like a nice flannel in a lovely grey. Wearing a matching tie however is unspeakably naff.

 

Blogger Me said ... (1:39 PM) : 

Oh, all the edges of this outfit are fantastic. The short hem is what allows summer and this outfit to shake hands and play nice. This is a really perfect slim fit -- the slight pull at the button, but room to walk in the pant -- an incredible length on the sleeve of the jacket. The look on his face is also great -- aloof, but not entirely unaware.

And the grey sidewalk and grey dirt on the building don't hurt.

 

Blogger FPK said ... (1:45 PM) : 

I need that suit and tie posthaste! Any ideas where I can get that, any help is appreciated.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:46 PM) : 

I think that wearing the pants short is not a European phenomenon . It is derived form an American style prevalent some decades ago. Perhaps the Preppy style is what embodies this look most concisely. To this day Boston is famous for the conservative look. What you see here is a European adaptation( clearly european) on an American Style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 PM) : 

so clean. lovely but since its 92 here in NYC.. i cant even look at flannel, cashmere..etc

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:58 PM) : 

The combination is withe the shoes is great! Belissimo!

Mr.G


Bolg it! >> http://fashionmeetscologne.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Tony Post No Bills | Washington DC said ... (2:48 PM) : 

Very good shot. Very Thom Brown vs Mad Men. This is shaping out to be the look of this season. Change in Office and a shift back to classic American style. I do like the suede shoes, but think that they would be more suited for a cuff that short. I do wish that you posted the other Cucinelli pictures from the September GQ edition in which they show the various ways to where a grey suit, single breasted blazer or double breasted blazer.

 

Blogger Heather Taylor said ... (3:20 PM) : 

I love this photo and I've been dreaming of trenches and pointelle stockings since July. Summer's a good break and all but fall is where it's at for fashion.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:31 PM) : 

i want that suit, with the six shooter in his right pocket too, for authenticity.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:52 PM) : 

DOPE!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:53 PM) : 

I think my favorite thing about this photo is his 'pocket hank' it's a piece of paper! You wouldn't even think to notice but it helps break the grey up a little. Subtle nuances are amazing!

 

Blogger Gossip_Glamour said ... (4:09 PM) : 

The chic of this style is absolutly fabulous !
xxx

 

Blogger trulymadlydeeply said ... (4:12 PM) : 

Perrrfect pant length! Crisp.

 

Blogger Sartorial Vancouver said ... (4:18 PM) : 

Cucinelli cashmere - very nice. That would be a cashmere tie and socks in the photo as well I gather.

 

Blogger big said ... (4:49 PM) : 

perfect from head to toe.

 

Blogger Joy Mars said ... (5:03 PM) : 

Clean. Smart. Love the shoes with the grey.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:04 PM) : 

He works for the Cucinelli company, I had a chance to talk to him. Not surprisingly that he wears a Cucinelli cashmere suit.

 

Anonymous Florent said ... (5:16 PM) : 

Good Lord this is an amaaaaazing pic!
His style is so 60's and yet modern! Love it!

Florent - http://lhabitfaitledandy.com

 

Anonymous Antonio Barros said ... (5:34 PM) : 

He looks great!!!!

the singular

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:13 PM) : 

Nine out of ten. Ten out of ten had he looked to be on a mission to kick someone's arse clutching a cigar between his teeth whilst really thinking who makes the best espresso on his block.

The mobile... I non like. It just screams: "Oh, hi... I've got friends. Really. I do. I have a mobile."

Other than that - fantastic.

-Pietro

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:15 PM) : 

Shame on you if you didn't take this picture!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:40 PM) : 

holy f, i need that suit and i don't even wear suits.

 

Blogger Cobalt Violet said ... (7:56 PM) : 

Mmmmm... flannel... makes me want to cozy up. Very handsome/smart. Great look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:04 PM) : 

It's funny - for a second I thought it was a pic of you. I love the fabric.

 

Blogger J Steed said ... (8:54 PM) : 

I think the keystone is the shoes. Imagine this outfit with plain black oxfords. It would just look plain.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 PM) : 

I LOVE this. Every time I picture myself in a grey suit, this is what I see. Or wish I saw. Perfect.

 

Blogger margot said ... (11:24 PM) : 

Oh my, be still my heart. And such action in the photo too - full stride and cell phone. powerful but soft.

 

Blogger Scott W said ... (12:17 AM) : 

Gorgeous. I love how the shoes balance out his face color.

 

Blogger Rafe Totengco said ... (12:27 AM) : 

now that is molto molto chic...reminds me of Cary Grant and that light shade of grey is perfect and of course cognac suede boots.

 

Blogger Info-Maps said ... (1:04 AM) : 

wow

Good!

 

Blogger sdfljslkdj said ... (2:08 AM) : 

Helloooooo Cary Grant! Even the length of the pants do it for me.

- Vanessa
http://asliceofretailheaven.wordpress.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:18 AM) : 

I was writing about how it's not American, it's Milanese, which is British/Italian, but then I did see an old tin print today of an American guy whose trousers were just maybe 1.5 inches longer...anyway, doesn't matter. The fact is pretty much no one but Milanese dress like this naturally. And it's freakin' brilliant. Me and J Steed, you both nailed it.

 

Anonymous John Agee Paris said ... (5:09 AM) : 

I don't know what's in the water over there in Italy, but they just have style in spades. More than anyone else on the whole planet. And I live in Paris! That says something.

 

Blogger Eddie said ... (7:32 AM) : 

Handsome cashmere suit and suede shoes. I miss wearing those.

 

Blogger Timeless Fashion... said ... (7:52 AM) : 

It's a beautiful suit. I'm so happy that cashmere is back!

 

Blogger J.Teheren said ... (8:06 AM) : 

The desert boot is my favorite shoe hands down. Works very well here. The grey cashmere is amazing especially in the summer. Great photo!

 

Blogger Raul Villalobos said ... (10:11 AM) : 

Love the grey look,. Very Mad Men, Not sure about the tie, maybe some color would have been better (in my humble opinion). Pants, as pointed out before, too short (again my opinion, what is it they say about opinions. Love the foto though, grey all over.

By the way. Fantabulous BOOK, Absolutely exceeded what I was expecting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 PM) : 

Love it, BUT the pants are a wee bit too short!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:57 PM) : 

Is the pant leg really cut short like Tom Browne or is it just a cuff? Great contrast with the shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:28 PM) : 

This doesn't work at all. The shoes are all wrong for the suit and the pants are too short.

 

Blogger DENNI said ... (10:13 PM) : 

I KNOW. PERFECT LOOK . WONDERING OF FALL TOO...



XX




CHICMUSE
http://thechicmuse.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Le 21ème said ... (1:16 AM) : 

The suit is amazing...but the boots are even more so.

- le 21ème

 

Anonymous FVAD said ... (2:48 AM) : 

Sinfully brilliant

I <3 , I envy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:51 AM) : 

Anon 8:04 PM - curiously, the gentleman has a striking resemblance to Mr Schuman's father.

-Pietro

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:55 AM) : 

That's right. The high-water pants look is nothing new. Watch any episode of Get Smart and you'll see the real trend-setting sartorial renegades.

-Pietro

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:23 AM) : 

Great outfit but it is ruined by the shoes - they are just distracting

 

Blogger Susie said ... (7:29 AM) : 

A bit too gray for me to be honest... I'd have liked to see a pop of color somewhere.

On the short pants... in my view these are a bit too short. But the short pants look to me makes his legs seem shorter, more stubby and who wants that. It changes the flow of the silhouette, it just shortens him in my view.

susan

 

Blogger Dylan said ... (10:27 AM) : 

Amazing look, but I think the tie would look a lot better if it was shorter, a bit above the waist line of his trousers. It looks sort of goofy hanging out of his jacket like that.

 

Anonymous S Keng said ... (2:38 PM) : 

Nicely cut suit, gorgeous fabric, but the shirt collar looks strangely messy (for an Italian); and the hem is too contrived

 

Blogger Matthew Spade said ... (3:11 PM) : 

prefect outfit, everything from the hair, hands in pocket, turn ups and shoes. i just hope i look as good as him in years to come

 

Anonymous Ana said ... (4:09 PM) : 

The length of his pants is perfect and tapering and cuff just right as well.

 

Anonymous Ljerka-Susanna-Lukic said ... (7:15 PM) : 

NICE!!!
Susan,Designer&Writer,Toronto
ARTISTIC
MILLINERY

 

Blogger RedPoppy said ... (7:42 PM) : 

Well this suit is impeccable looking! the greys are beauty to my eyes. Love the suede shoes. Love his tie....Fabulous!

xoxo http://www.redpoppyfashion.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:22 PM) : 

I dislike that patronizing remark, " I hope I look as good as him in years to come." Bet you don't look as good as him right now.

Perfect. Will save it out for my husband.

 

Anonymous holly said ... (10:24 PM) : 

It is sooo GQ :)

 

Anonymous ronan the librarian said ... (11:18 PM) : 

...I have printed off the photo to take to my tailor in HK immediately!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:28 AM) : 

If the tie didn't seem to be cut from the same fabric as the suit, it would be decent.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:30 AM) : 

Devastating!Love it head to toe.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:50 AM) : 

At first I thought it was a vest underneath the jacket, but now I think that the shirt has a white bib and collar and a contrasting lower portion...now that's COOL!!!

 

Blogger londondog said ... (7:53 AM) : 

Very Don Draperesque shot and look - lovely.

 

Blogger Cherry Tree Wood said ... (8:30 AM) : 

Well personnaly..this is exactly what I'm looking for this fall...mostly after seeing again Breakfast at Tiffany's!

it's the perfect style to come (back!)

 

Anonymous wow gold test said ... (8:35 AM) : 

very nice blog

 

Anonymous wow gold shop said ... (8:36 AM) : 

nice blog

 

Anonymous eHaberdasher.com said ... (8:46 AM) : 

Big fan of Cucinelli as we have some choice pieces in our shop... I think this suit is anything but "crisp" which others have mentioned - Cucinelli is all about a soft and casual elegance... light grey appears to be Cucinelli's default "color" for all his collections!

_____________________
www.eHaberdasher.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 AM) : 

Javi C.:
How do they do it?
Without fail, no matter the miserable weather outside, September fashion magazines make me start dreaming of flannels and cashmere.

I guess I am partly to blame. I took this photo of a Cucinelli suit in Milan recently, for the September issue of GQ, and have been thinking about it ever since. Shame on me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:37 AM) : 

Ah, yes...those September glossies! I should start looking for my annual haul of them today!

Autumn is really my favorite, and perhaps best, season for style. Aren't we lucky, clever, charming human creatures? Our adaptations to the cold can be so pretty!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:39 AM) : 

Javi C.
It(He,She) fascinates the color of the suit, the length of the trousers and the contrast that it(he,she) does with the booties.
There is obvious the difference between the photos taken in Italy and in USA.
Mr. Schuman!! It(he,she) continues doing this type of photos.
Where there is the " SILVER FOX "?

 

Blogger An (ex) alien in new york said ... (10:40 AM) : 

Light grey and brown are autumnal for me. I love the crispness of his shirt and the matching tie, although it is hanging somewhat strangely.

 

Anonymous Ed said ... (11:57 AM) : 

Finally! I am in the vanguard. I just bought a suit very much like this for fall. I now expect to be photographed for this site. I will be in Florence in a couple of weeks, you will know me because I will be trying to be in every photograph I can get into.

 

Blogger C. said ... (12:09 PM) : 

But Italians do it better, don't thay?

 

Blogger Angeles Almuna said ... (3:42 PM) : 

It's so perfect!!!! I'm glad that I love Grey in any outfit :)

 

Blogger MAMADOU FALL said ... (5:43 PM) : 

can you please post the other pics from GQ September Sart????

 

Blogger Friend in Fashion said ... (7:12 PM) : 

Fabulous!

 

Blogger Tim McFarlane said ... (12:46 AM) : 

This is a great suit. I love the color and it's fitted well on him. The shoes look great with the color of the suit, also. I'm not quite sold on the shortened pants, but otherwise, this rocks!

 

Anonymous downunderboy said ... (2:04 AM) : 

LOVE - LOVE - LOVE the suit!!!
D_I_V_I_N_E. the colour mix with the tan suede boot is gorgeous!

 

Blogger Un posto speciale said ... (6:14 AM) : 

Perhaps I'd rather prefer a bit longer trousers but it's simply perfect!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 PM) : 

Love the fit of the suit.
Love the limited color palette and how the tie matches the suit and no fou-fou pocket square to gum it up.
If the trousers weren't that length he couldn't wear/show off those great shoes.
Well done, mister.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:24 PM) : 

you all know why the turn-ups are two inches, right?! it's because they want to keep their suit for the long term. stay with me on this one...

the moment the look goes out of style these guys are going to let the turn-ups down as though nothing ever happened.

-Pietro

 

Blogger Daedalus said ... (5:26 PM) : 

This somehow screams Cucinelli. I like the length of the pants, ideal for suede chukka boots, but too short for toe-cap oxfords. That makes it problematic for everyday use...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:05 PM) : 

Scott,
of course you've been thinking about it ever since. this guy looks like your Italian cousin! (at least the photos of yourself which were posted here)crew cut, pocket square in that neat little rectangle, don't know what else, but was scrolling down quickly to start from the earliest photo of the ones I missed, & I did a double take to see if you finally posted another photo of yourself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 PM) : 

Anyone know who makes the shoes?

 

Blogger Zevaa said ... (3:45 AM) : 

He looks cool. Love this shade of grey.

_________________

http://zevaa.com

 

Blogger Katya said ... (7:16 AM) : 

Man looks very good! Chic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:19 PM) : 

Wow, Cary Grant!

 

Blogger Mr. Rover said ... (7:47 AM) : 

that's the exact shade of grey flannel I'm looking for when I go to Shanghai next week--I'm thinking of a 4 button double breasted with patch pockets.

 

Blogger LC said ... (10:22 AM) : 

Great suit, it looks like an extension of both his body and the surroundings. Are you sure its not an ad for Nokia?

 

Blogger lefthand gilliam henderson said ... (1:58 PM) : 

the buttons on the suit are awesome, especially with what he has on his feet. and the tie going with the suit is a nice 3-piece without the vest. ;]

 

Blogger alvin lampkins said ... (1:06 AM) : 

this made me want the magazine and guess what? I have my own version of this look and now SF Ca is having our Indian summer!

 

Blogger Meg said ... (12:11 PM) : 

this is incredibly chic

 

Blogger JustNorman said ... (10:53 AM) : 

this suit is fantastic. the outfit is just so well put together. dig the chukka boots

http://www.justnorman.blogspot.com/
the blog that no one knows about

 

Blogger Teresa @ good-grace said ... (11:01 AM) : 

Hot damn! He looks fabulous ... very old school gentleman - but not in an "old" way. I love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:53 PM) : 

Dude,
You have no idea. The best look for me is flannel/tweed/herringbone etc. The more thick & textured grey, the better.
Alas, I live in Austin, TX. The best I can get away with is a wool tie and a "4 season wool" suit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:03 AM) : 

The suit is perfect!

Love how the texture and color of the shoes balance the suit and somewhat compensate for the shortened pants (similar color value and soft texture).

A short boot would have been cool here as well.

 

Anonymous jimjam said ... (4:52 AM) : 

Well this short legged chap just got a little more excited at the prospect of short legged trousers.....

Bravo I say - looks terrif, and there's hope for me yet

(and a dream to build an Autumn on)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:53 PM) : 

Love this!

 

Blogger Agyesh said ... (10:50 AM) : 

Found it!

I thought I had seen this suit before and alas on the same man himself.

Tell me this is him: http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/4686/1648/1600/645949/BCmovie.jpg

Your Italian Movie Star! :-P

All the way from January 2007.

Only shows how versatile a Flannel Suit can be. From the start of the winter to the middle to the end. A great addition to one's wardrobe.

Cheers,
Agyesh

PS: This image inspired a couple of instant additions to the Fall Must Buy List.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting