This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street......The Character, Bologna

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, July 20, 2009

On the Street......The Character, Bologna


I only had one day in Bologna, but I made it work for me. I think Bologna is a really beautiful city and I look forward to making it a regular stop on my way from Florence to Milan. It is so easy to take the train between these cities, but next time I think I will take a car. From the train it looks like the most perfect region of Italy.

Comments on "On the Street......The Character, Bologna"

 

Anonymous jbozak said ... (8:10 AM) : 

The hands, the far off stare -- Thinking about what was, what could have been, and what is no more. Melancholy never looked so fittingly splendid in ruby and creme.

 

Anonymous StreetstyleNews said ... (8:14 AM) : 

That's Italy...

 

Blogger manandboys said ... (8:14 AM) : 

too dandy no?

 

Blogger V said ... (8:15 AM) : 

Dear The Sartorialist,
if you love Italy, you should go to Turin. It's wonderful.
Love,
Virginia
(virginievictoria@gmail.com)

 

Anonymous paolo said ... (8:20 AM) : 

scott anche io ero a bologna..condivido sul treno..molto meglio...ciao

 

Blogger Le Veggie Burger said ... (8:31 AM) : 

age and class..nothing more to be said

 

Blogger Dellasposia said ... (8:37 AM) : 

You should also check out Torino

 

Blogger Mademoiselle C. said ... (8:40 AM) : 

Amazing

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:52 AM) : 

You defenitly must come back... we do have style!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:52 AM) : 

Love Bologna! The city has amazing food!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 AM) : 

OMG that's me in 40 years. I love it.

You just made my day.

Passport Foodie

 

Blogger Vlad Gabriela - Maria said ... (9:09 AM) : 

Yes, i love Bologna too. I often do the same track with the train on my way to the airport. Don't you love to travel exactly on the edge of the seashore? Congratulations for the book!

 

Blogger Soren Lorensen said ... (9:17 AM) : 

gorgeous

i want him to have a black cat that goes everywhere with him

and a cane

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:44 AM) : 

it has THE BEST down-home food EVER.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:45 AM) : 

i can tell you more about him... he is pretty consistent with (t)his style, he wears the same outfit every day...and I meet him often on the streets.

 

Blogger katatak said ... (9:59 AM) : 

This gentleman lives near me in Bologna and he wears this suit every day! It always makes me happy to see him. He often stops me and my friends to talk about his poetry. What a trip to see him on here!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:04 AM) : 

A conversation with this man would be most interesting....
Smiles.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:32 AM) : 

I miss seeing fashionable but regular, non-fashion industry people on this blog. I keep checking, though, because once in a while I see someone great like this guy.

 

Blogger James Jean said ... (10:36 AM) : 

This is just wonderful. There's not many better sights than seeing an elderly man like this one have such grace and personal style....

 

Blogger Seth Dalby said ... (10:56 AM) : 

This image somewhat alleviates my fear of old man-ness. Thanks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 AM) : 

He looks great!

 

Blogger Hadley Makes said ... (11:04 AM) : 

I hope I, too, have that panache at that age.

I also wish I looked that snazzy in a bowtie. Alas, this gal couldn't carry it off in a million years.

 

Blogger Phoebe Rose said ... (12:12 PM) : 

Gotta love a man in loafers!

http://flowergirlfashion.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:18 PM) : 

I was fortunate to study abroad for a summer in Bologna. A beautiful college city filled with beautiful people, and the food is incredible. Miss you Bologna!

 

Blogger DENNI said ... (12:39 PM) : 

god . that s lovely. great bow.
kiss


new
Chicmuse
http://thechicmuse.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:46 PM) : 

Love, love Bologna. Northern Italian elegance with less attitude than Milano (but love it there too!), but more citified than Florence. Not to mention the food!!!

 

Blogger crowsfeet said ... (1:46 PM) : 

I beg to differ, Scott;
he isn't just The Character - he's The Story.

so very charming!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:27 PM) : 

Couldn't you just have the longest and most interesting conversation with this most inviting man? Wow~!

 

Anonymous Verdiales said ... (4:30 PM) : 

A poet, in this day and age.

Astonishing.

Notice how the pocket square and bowtie do not match exactly, but the square, nearer his heart, is a more vivid and oxygenated red.

Perhaps he composes in terza rima, which is also asymmetrical.

Si spera.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:38 PM) : 

I love loafers... eternally trendy for all occasions.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:05 PM) : 

Finally you've arrived to Bologna...:) Fantastic people, the creative hear of Italy, you'll find some great shots there..V

 

Anonymous unpeudeau said ... (5:47 PM) : 

Oh wonderful! Welcome to Bologna!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:33 PM) : 

Bologna is beautiful. Worth a trip for the Morandi Museum alone. Thank you for reminding me about this lovely city that I visited once years ago and hope to go back to one day.

 

Blogger Lazy P said ... (6:42 PM) : 

I was also pleasantly surprised by Bologna during a visit to Lineappelle last April. It felt like "no frills" Italy and great food!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:56 PM) : 

More proof that it takes a real man to wear a bowtie. This is a good look, pretty much what I'm aiming for in my old age (which will be soon), except, of course, that the trousers need to be cut to accommodate a nice pair of boots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:37 PM) : 

Bologna's a great place to hang out - my favourite city in Italy. Off the tourist trail, exceptional food, almost like a big country town.

 

Blogger Jonathan said ... (8:02 PM) : 

Wow. Just wow. You're photographs of old men never cease to amaze me.

 

Blogger SOMETHING PICASSO said ... (8:28 PM) : 

Scarlet red details, I'm in love.

 

Blogger ATufford said ... (9:01 PM) : 

why pollute when you could mass commute?

 

Blogger Amanda Navarra said ... (9:09 PM) : 

That is breathtaking. So sublime. I love Bologna; probably my favourite city in the world. I feel that picture captures it perfectly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 PM) : 

for some reason, i want to say, "the godfather"- all hail!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:39 PM) : 

For some reason this reminded me of Alice in Wonderland- the mad hatter, perhaps? (no implication whatsoever on the attitude of the gentleman) Something about the colors seems straight out of a story book. Wonderful shot.

 

Blogger nikky said ... (1:34 AM) : 

the bow-tie tops it off perfectly.

 

Anonymous Fvad said ... (2:02 AM) : 

I can hear him saying: I have seen better days !

 

Anonymous michellejflynn said ... (4:46 AM) : 

This guy looks like Andrew Lloyd Weber with long hair!

 

Blogger Julia said ... (5:57 AM) : 

Wow! I lived in Bologna last year, and remember speaking to this man! He approached me one day on the street and started telling me his life story - he loves to write poetry and even recited several of his poems to me. He was very kind, and I would often see him on the streets, talking to whomever, and always dressed impeccably. This picture reminds me of my wonderful time in Bologna - it really made my day!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:09 AM) : 

Fully recommend driving through Italy, espcially the Emilia-Romagna region. I took a back road from Bologna to Florence and had a huge grin on my face for two hours! Plus you see the Italy tourists never even hear of. Driving in the cities is stressful, so my tip as a foreigner is: take the travel time calculated by google and double it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 PM) : 

Finally you got the chance to visit Bologna!!! Hope you enjoyed your stay and will come back, we have plenty of this kind of "Characters" in this amazing city.

 

Anonymous georgessa said ... (1:16 PM) : 

wow... i live very close to the "two towers"... and of course i've already seen the guy in the picture. i'll try to spot you (and your camera) around, then!

 

Anonymous The Danettes said ... (1:50 PM) : 

Fantastique!!!

 

Blogger amaris said ... (3:05 PM) : 

Bologna!wonderful art and food!

 

Blogger Ahad said ... (3:53 PM) : 

Now that's a Mister Bow Tie!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:46 PM) : 

If the world would have more of these characters...I would certainly be happy !!

Thank you for this photograph.

R.L.dB. from The Netherlands

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:08 PM) : 

I hope when I am an old man I look like this and can pull something like this off.

Bob
LA

 

Blogger Hayley said ... (6:56 PM) : 

this is definitely the definition of cute, classy old man.

 

Blogger wes said ... (5:01 AM) : 

this guy looks like penguin in Batman!

 

Anonymous Con Frantzeskos said ... (5:26 AM) : 

It is the best part of Italy - the Emilia Romagna region is unbelievable.

Esp Milano Marittima and the coast...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:40 AM) : 

WOW! I live in Bologna and I see that man almost every day walking around in Piazza Maggiore!! Few years ago he also approached me and started to tell me the story of his life...he's a poet if I remember correctly and he recited his verses to me!!

 

Anonymous Emma Howard said ... (1:22 PM) : 

He seems very air-like with a whirlwind of mental activity taking place as he sits quietly in his clean white suit.

 

Blogger Monsieur Callian said ... (7:17 PM) : 

I don't know what it is about these old Gentlemen in Italy, they keep dressing up even when they are getting older, which is fantastic, we can all learn from them, because style matters!

www.monsieurcallian.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:16 PM) : 

cuuuute

 

Anonymous Bombshell Kitten said ... (1:19 AM) : 

Love that an older gentleman is still so superbly dressed!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:22 AM) : 

Bologna is great, not only for a dandy-attitude like this but also for the underground culture. I currently live in Bologna and i love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:22 AM) : 

you're right with Emilia Romagna, you should visit Modena too, and Carpi.
Beautiful small cities and very stylish people, with Reggio Emilia they combine a little "fashion triangle" in ER, they produce a lot of fashion brands in that area (Blumarine, Pinko, Borbonese, and many others)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 AM) : 

I hope I'll be that cool when I'll reach 110.

-Pietro

 

Anonymous duncan said ... (2:47 PM) : 

I look forward to getting old when I see a picture like this!

 

Blogger FEDERICA said ... (5:42 AM) : 

Bologna is my city! I love it!
Hope to see you soon here!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:34 AM) : 

i too had a midnight run-in with the character.
his name is giancarlo nuvoli, you can read his poetry online...
http://www.informatore.com/orto/poesie/poesie-2/G.Nuvolipoesie2.htm

 

Blogger rAOULaNDREWmENDANHA said ... (12:34 PM) : 

c'est excellent !

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:15 PM) : 

I hope to look that good when I grow up. I want to marry him. Is that legal in Italy?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:28 AM) : 

yummy bow tie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:09 PM) : 

Love the bow tie and matching kerchief.

 

Blogger Trish said ... (11:56 PM) : 

Indeed - the most perfect region of Italy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:00 AM) : 

Why did he have to ruin it with those black(!) mocassins and black socks?!
Red socks as a match to the bowtie/hanky and a pair of white bucks, sir!!
Xavier

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 AM) : 

Bologna is ok, but mostly a left-wing city which strongly reminds me of some communist era..

Scott, why no trips to Rome? Or even more south?

 

Blogger Ste said ... (11:15 AM) : 

About the last comment..
Bologna is a beautiful city, a hidden gem. Great people, great style.
Politics has nothing to do with style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:25 AM) : 

he looks like a marshmellow to me

 

Blogger Bluespana said ... (2:42 AM) : 

I was wondering when you'd get to Bologna. A city with its own style and soul.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting