This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Style Profile... Sofia Hedstrom, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Style Profile... Sofia Hedstrom, NYC

Sofia Hedstrom aka Sofia Headstrong

Job?
Correspondent Swedish Television, SVT and Svenska Dagbladet.

Best Sartorial advice from your parents?
"Hel och ren," best translated as “wholesome and clean.” Because of them I really take care of my precious fashion pieces and feel guilty when I walk around in a coat with a missing button.

Style icons?
New Yorkers, I love the city and think people here offer more diversity and sense of style than anywhere else in the world. An afternoon on the town beats most fashion magazines when it comes to inspiration.

Describe your personal style…
I think dressing is like acting, I am always trying to dress for an imaginary roll that I make up in the morning… like today I want to be a 70's biker chic from France, or pretend that I am on a cruise in the Stockholm archipelago. I like conceptual dressing, and in my concepts elegance and femininity are always the key words.

Most cherished item?
I really love an old pocket watch from the 1910's that belongs to my family and therefore gives it extra value.

I feel best wearing?
Colors, I don't feel like myself in black.

Is there a particular color?
I am a red loving girl it is the dominant color in my wardrobe. I tend to wear red every day, and if not, my red lipstick shows my never-ending love for this beautiful color. Red represents everything from revolution to love. It is a color that makes people happy and energized - at least that is the effect red has on me - and the reason why I stay faithful.

This photo of you was up in Scott’s solo show at The Danziger Projects, how did it feel to see a photo of yourself up in an exhibit?
To me, the photo sums up fashion week by showing excitement and exhaustion at the same time. I remember the moment when the photo was taken, how much my Miu Miu shoes did hurt after running around the city and how my brain was trying to sum up the shows and how much I was looking forward to that evening. When I saw the photo at the exhibit it made me go back to that special day and it reminded me, and still does, why I keep running around in uncomfortable shoes.

How do you feel about people's responses to the photo, both online and in "real life"?
Both thankful and entertained. A lot of people refer to me as ‘the girl in the red dress,’ and since I think the photo represents me really well I am happy to hear what people have to say!

Do you get recognized by people?
I get recognized a lot by people because of Scott's work. People sometimes come up to me when I am waiting for the L-train and want to talk about my style. One funny thing is when other photographers ask if they can take my picture during fashion week they always refer to Scott’s work.

The first thing I look at in another Sartorialist's outfit…
I always look at the color combinations first, and then the concept and then I make up a story around what the person is wearing.

I always break this fashion rule…
I love unexpected color combinations and always trust my gut feeling when it comes to this, even if it looks weird the first time when I see myself in the mirror.

I never break this fashion rule…
“Wholesome and clean,” I will for sure never be a punk when it comes to my looks.

Favorite designers?
Karl Lagerfeld, for his larger than life fashion personality and for his ability to always be in contact with the latest trends and Dries Van Noten for his color combinations.

Most underrated item in womenswear?
I think the most underrated item is the hair, it is a shame that very few women take advantage of something that is actually free. Ask your grandma for some advice on how to use the pins and you will automatically look glamorous in your old t-shirt.

Flats or heels?
Heels, except when I am running.

Favorite stores?
My vintage store around the corner here in Williamsburg, called Flores Antique. I also love Clube Chocolate in Sao Paulo and Colette in Paris.

Your next "must have" purchase?
I am collecting jewelry and trying to invest in classic pieces. Right now I am looking for the perfect waist length pearl necklace, maybe it is for my Coco Chanel outfit.

I only buy __________ in Europe.
Anything Swedish, I am always trying to support my fellow Swedes and really adore Diana Orving for her draping skills and always like to go into the Svenkt Tenn store in Stockholm for some amazing Josef Frank fabrics.

Favorite item of clothing
Dresses, I am a classic girl after all.

Sports?
Oh yes, I am a marathon runner and run every day over the Williamsburg bridge to keep me sane. I did the New York Marathon last year and will do it again this year. I also dance and play tennis, all in appropriate outfits.

Favorite neighborhood restaurant?
Hard choice, since I think Williamsburg offers some of the best restaurants in New York. I love Walter Foods on Grand Street, Moto on Broadway is always cozy and my favorite coffee place is Gimme Coffee on Lorimer Street.


Interview by Tracy Rosenbaum

Labels:

Comments on "Style Profile... Sofia Hedstrom, NYC"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:26 PM) : 

I love how above the photo subject are the letters G.R.L. as if anyone couldn't identify this as a "girl" (or woman, if you prefer)

 

Blogger Lucy said ... (5:43 PM) : 

I love the colour of the dress!
Lucy =)

 

Blogger Sweet Strawberryfields said ... (5:43 PM) : 

.......(no words) it is just: a real real pleasure!

 

Blogger LADYPLAY said ... (5:47 PM) : 

i love her outfit!

 

Anonymous LittleMissFashion said ... (5:47 PM) : 

I love the classy style of her dress with the modern day graffiti in the backround, also her hair style is very A'la Gwen Stefani, I like it.

 

Blogger Wanderlusting said ... (5:50 PM) : 

As a fellow Scandinavian, dress-lover and conceptual dresser, she is my idol. Thanks for this Scott :)

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (5:53 PM) : 

Loved reading this interview, and her style's just amazing! :)
xx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:54 PM) : 

Reeeeeeeeeeeed!!!i love her hair!!
B.R.

 

Blogger Fashionprincess said ... (6:05 PM) : 

First! (Possibly)

I love her shoes! .. Well actually I lov the whole outfit...but I;m going to guess I cant afford any of it..mayb the lipstick...

x <3 x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:06 PM) : 

nice colours!!!

 

Anonymous Katrina said ... (6:19 PM) : 

She's stunning!

 

Blogger Alisha said ... (6:21 PM) : 

Those shoes - fabulous! Can anyone name the designer?

 

Blogger Aziza said ... (6:21 PM) : 

She's so cute and vintagey! Love the Ice Cream pumps too...

 

Blogger Ashley said ... (6:40 PM) : 

The first time I saw this photo I thought it was Gwen Stefani...but after reading this Q&A I don't think she and Gwen really share the same "wholesome and clean" style mantra.

http://fashionroadkill-halifax.blogspot.com

 

Blogger M said ... (6:42 PM) : 

this photo is totally awesome

 

Blogger the sophisticat said ... (6:46 PM) : 

Oh to be tall, blond and beautiful (or Swedish).

The red is incredible especially against that graffiti wall.

Love it.

thesophisticat.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:04 PM) : 

The red dress and blonde hair go so well together.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:10 PM) : 

This girl is WONDERFUL

 

Anonymous alannah said ... (7:14 PM) : 

beautiful colours and sofia!
where would i be able to see the picture that she was referring to which was in scotts exhibition?

 

Anonymous Tiffany said ... (7:17 PM) : 

such an interesting interview! her parents' advice for a wholesome and clean look is great. the roleplaying idea is interesting too. its awesome to hear when athletes have good style =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:30 PM) : 

This is wonderful! She has beautiful classic style and is a runner too! It's great to see another runner who also loves fashion. And what a beautifully put together outfit in that photo, love the red with light blue and green accessories!

 

Blogger Thomas Modeen said ... (7:35 PM) : 

Hejja Sverige...

 

Blogger KNOCKOUT CLOTHING said ... (7:37 PM) : 

Her I like!

xoxo, SarahJayne @ Knockout Vintage Clothing

 

Blogger Rainbow Factory said ... (7:37 PM) : 

Hold kæft, hun har stil! Classy lady! And from Sweden!

x M

 

Blogger Girl - Personal Stylist said ... (7:42 PM) : 

Nice!!! Pretty girl!!! or like in Sweden they say: Bra!!! Vacker Kvinna!!!

**My best regards from Sweden**

 

Blogger kayang said ... (7:59 PM) : 

For a moment I thought it was Gwen Stefani!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:03 PM) : 

What a stunning girl. She is divine! I love.

 

Blogger Anna said ... (8:04 PM) : 

I adore her in this photo :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:24 PM) : 

I totally agree with her comment about New Yorkers style being an amazing source of inspiration!

Olive

www.visforOlive.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous missmandi said ... (8:39 PM) : 

This is a pic from around a year and a half ago. The shoes are Miu Miu. I know because I came across this photo when hunting down these shoes to wear for a wedding!
The shoes were also later copied in mass production for Steve Madden.

 

Blogger atasteoftomorrow said ... (8:57 PM) : 

The Swedes know how to dress! Love the color and how the graffiti matches her dress. The shoes are also a personal favorite. and the side bun! ugh perfection. I love her!

http://www.atasteoftomorrow.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Minelle said ... (9:08 PM) : 

I love this photograph!! It's beautiful!

 

Blogger May Kasahara said ... (9:20 PM) : 

I have to start wearing my rosso ice cream MMs again!

 

Blogger Kathleen said ... (9:34 PM) : 

I love her style...and she look approachable at the same time. :)

 

Blogger noelakadjtambour said ... (10:24 PM) : 

"conceptual dressing"--- now that's a concept

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 PM) : 

Not only is she beautiful, but I loved her interview, best I've read on here.

 

Blogger Chapstick Kills said ... (11:30 PM) : 

Love your interviews!

www.nonamenothings.blogspot.com

 

Blogger platformshoesandwintercoat said ... (11:44 PM) : 

still loving this.

 

Anonymous Bombshell Kitten said ... (11:54 PM) : 

Fabulous taste! She most definitely has a flair for bold color choice, and I love how simple yet elegant the whole ensemble is.

xx Bombshell Kitten
http://www.prettyandfabulous.com

 

Blogger MM said ... (12:01 AM) : 

She is awesome.
She looks like Agyness Deyn.

http://fashion-intervention.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:41 AM) : 

Describe your personal style…
I think dressing is like acting, I am always trying to dress for an imaginary roll that I make up in the morning… like today I want to be a 70's biker chic from France, or pretend that I am on a cruise in the Stockholm archipelago. I like conceptual dressing, and in my concepts elegance and femininity are always the key words.


....Exactly. :)

 

Blogger Jamie Jonathan Ball said ... (1:45 AM) : 

beautiful and marathon running is so inspiring!

 

Anonymous FVAD said ... (2:12 AM) : 

EPIC :)
100% of perfection

 

Blogger Nick Leonard said ... (2:45 AM) : 

I love the interview & the way she posed. So pretty.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:56 AM) : 

I love her style, this is one of your best imagages ever!!!

 

Anonymous Internet Marketing said ... (3:03 AM) : 

This looks like perfect icon.

 

Blogger Hanna Persson said ... (3:35 AM) : 

she's fab!

 

Blogger alberta said ... (4:01 AM) : 

marvellous MIU MIU shoes

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:09 AM) : 

Looking great as usual.
Greetings from Gothenburg Sweden.
Great lastname by the way.
Thank you for this ever so lovely site of inspiration and beauty.
Peter Hedstrom

 

Blogger GioHunting said ... (4:41 AM) : 

Absolutely breathtaking!!...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:50 AM) : 

This girl is my new style hero, I love the way she talks about style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:37 AM) : 

This is the first picture I would hang into my room as a poster. It is amazing.

 

Blogger Miiicha said ... (7:57 AM) : 

once again great photo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 AM) : 

Awesome!

Oohhaveyoureadedwinsraisinyet

 

Blogger amalie said ... (9:02 AM) : 

lovely picture. shes awesome! love her answers too.

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (9:09 AM) : 

Just love this one. She's a kindred style spirit.

 

Blogger Angeles Almuna said ... (9:09 AM) : 

Red red lovely red!!! She looks so glamorous.

 

Blogger Karen M. said ... (9:32 AM) : 

Fantastic photo, terrific interview. More photos of her, please? Also, could she be my new best friend? Thanks :)

 

Blogger Soren Lorensen said ... (9:44 AM) : 

yes! Josef Frank! I would kill kill kill for Josef Frank wallpaper, the one with the black background...

i want to move to Stockholm, who's with me?

 

Blogger Maria Confer said ... (10:08 AM) : 

wonderful interview! I love her sense of self and how she sticks to what she loves!

 

Blogger Ryan Brown said ... (11:00 AM) : 

Is this outside of the Graffiti Research Lab?

 

Blogger Maria said ... (11:24 AM) : 

she's amazing in every way!

 

Blogger TEXTSTYLES said ... (12:03 PM) : 

i was wondering why the third person?
great interview though.

*bisous*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:02 PM) : 

This is your best profile ever. I really want to meet this lovely lady! Do you know how I can contact her?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:05 PM) : 

AMAZING photo of a very special woman. Keep up the good work headstrong.

 

Blogger Philippe said ... (2:37 PM) : 

She's very elegant...Very nice blond & red mix, love it...

Philippe
www.punkgeisha.com

 

Anonymous Hannah said ... (2:53 PM) : 

I love that most of her advice and opinions are based on universal taste rather than luxury - how nice to see that she loves dresses more than shoes or bags! I loved reading this one.

 

Anonymous Le 21eme said ... (3:30 PM) : 

This photo is so great! She really emits a ton of beauty with a classic outfit.

- 21arrondissement.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:58 PM) : 

Go Swededen, beatiful dress and a great picture Scott!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:05 PM) : 

Thank you for showing Sofia on your blog. I am a big fan of her style

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:06 PM) : 

A running beaty, how rare.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:29 PM) : 

goodness her hair-do looks great.

 

Blogger Connie said ... (9:49 PM) : 

I love the mix of red and blue, and Oh My God, her hair! She looks fantastic.

theheartbreakinc.blogspot.com

 

Blogger style-for-style said ... (12:14 AM) : 

maybe those shoes are uncomfortable, but they are sooo cute

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:16 AM) : 

She's a beautiful girl and although she dresses with class, her particular style doesn't phase me at all.

 

Anonymous Catherine like Deneuve said ... (3:46 AM) : 

While she is of course adorable, what I appreciate here are her answers. She is wonderfully articulate. She clearly is self-aware--she knows what's right for her--but she doesn't come across as egotistical or arrogant. She seems to have a personality as lovely as her looks.
Thank you for this!
(Please give us Giovanna. I want to hear what is inside that woman's head.)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:30 AM) : 

awesome ensemble & interview!

 

Blogger Isabelle Lafleche said ... (12:32 PM) : 

A woman after my own heart, i LOVE red!!!

 

Blogger Javi said ... (3:02 PM) : 

Wow I really like this look...started my own new blog..check it out and feel free to add me..

 

Blogger Julie K said ... (4:47 PM) : 

massive girl crush. Beautiful and spirited inside and out. Refreshing to hear "wholesome and clean" as an aspiration.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:41 AM) : 

I love her style and her attitude to fashion. I feel inspired after reading the interview and will start to dress "wholesome and clean".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:55 AM) : 

Thank you for this thoughtful interview. Sofia Hedstrom is a style icon in Japan, but I never knew she was so sweet and smart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:49 AM) : 

It's impossible not to love this one, she is AMAZING in every way.

 

Anonymous Annette said ... (1:54 PM) : 

Love this post. Love headstrong blondes. Would have loved to link to this too, but it doesn't seem to be possible to link to individual posts here...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:56 PM) : 

She's gorgeous! Red looks fabulous on blondes. The interview was the best one I've read on your website. Shows that this woman is the complete package.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:29 PM) : 

yes! gimme coffee! (comes from ithaca, my town :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:49 AM) : 

You are the coolest chic ever!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:32 PM) : 

WOW, girl crush. How can I get this as a poster?

 

Blogger doktor said ... (4:37 PM) : 

What a fantastic, inspiring girl! And she takes all the best from fashion, simply having fun! I liked every sentence of what she said.

Well, maybe some day I will also walk the streets of New York in a red dress:P It makes me wanna go there so bad! Good luck to you Sofia!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:34 AM) : 

The GRL in the background actually stands for Graffiti Research Labs, they do a lot of experimental stuff with street art, hence why there are circuit boards on the graffiti, probably lights up at night

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:50 AM) : 

Timeless class with a modern twist.. love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:15 AM) : 

Thank you for showing this, the interview was so much fun to read. Sofia is an inspiration for small town girls all around the world. Can you please show more pics of her?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:26 AM) : 

I agree, she is the complete package. I want to walk around in NY with her by my side.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:01 PM) : 

This Swedish beauty is both classic and ahead of her time. So gorgeous!

 

Blogger Kwil said ... (1:44 PM) : 

One of my favorite color combinations. Stunning.

 

Blogger ayoecoemi said ... (11:52 PM) : 

I really like her. does she has any blog or website?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:47 AM) : 

Girl crush...this red loving beauty is the coolest girl ever. The hair, the smile, the color combinations, the shoes, the dress...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:52 AM) : 

I love the fact that she is a stylish runner. Headstrong, fun and fearless. This is my kind of girl.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:53 AM) : 

Please let me know how I can get in contact with this girl. I love her style and her personality.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:01 AM) : 

love this girl!

 

Blogger Rose said ... (9:41 PM) : 

Such a playful look! I love the use of vibrant colors.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:09 AM) : 

I am in love with this girls.

 

Anonymous c said ... (2:09 PM) : 

swedish girls are simply the best :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:28 PM) : 

i do also feel guilty walking in a coat with a missing button! lol
my fav style profile ever! =D

 

Blogger jennyk said ... (3:10 PM) : 

Yes, iam a swedish girl! ;)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting