This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Beach.....Caftan, South Beach Miami

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, March 30, 2009

On the Beach.....Caftan, South Beach Miami

Comments on "On the Beach.....Caftan, South Beach Miami"

 

Blogger JULES said ... (11:54 AM) : 

I love the ethnic vibe,her hair is perfection. Its not the mass produced tribal wear they are trying to push now, it original, very SARTORIAL haha

great post
i follow ur blog care to follow mine?
http://styleanthem.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous tiny said ... (12:01 PM) : 

Oh my god! This dress is incredible...it's a call to the summer!

 

Blogger pRiyA said ... (12:04 PM) : 

wow!

 

Anonymous princess glee said ... (12:06 PM) : 

Me gusta mucho! I love it! I want it! Where can I find it?!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 PM) : 

As a Floridian, I can totally relate to her outfit. I like how the green of the leaves match the green in the caftan. Practical and elegant.

 

Blogger TMFA said ... (12:10 PM) : 

waww I love this. It's so different from the usual!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:16 PM) : 

I love everything.

 

Anonymous Maria said ... (12:21 PM) : 

Love it!

 

Blogger JouJou Loves You said ... (12:26 PM) : 

Ahhh I live in Tunis and I rock these almost everyday during the summer. So easy to throw it on over a bikini, plus they are SUPER inexpensive considering it is part of the culture here to wear caftans.

 

Blogger Rita said ... (12:32 PM) : 

I love those glasses and that dress together.

 

Blogger - said ... (12:37 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:43 PM) : 

I'm in love with this dress *covets*

 

Blogger Uncle Vinny said ... (12:43 PM) : 

I grew up in Eugene, Oregon, where tie-dye never died, so I'm going to have to vote 'No' on this one.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (12:44 PM) : 

this is so different from what you've posted before. It's really interesting to see this lady posing very hard. :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:47 PM) : 

Wow, she looks like a goddess, I love it all!!! The glasses are the most unexpected touch, slightly nerdy but in the most nerd-fabulous way.

 

Anonymous Grace said ... (12:50 PM) : 

Alicia Keys?

 

Blogger *AS* said ... (12:54 PM) : 

I love the ethnic style


______________________________
http://buscandoenmiarmario.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Hijabi Apprentice said ... (12:54 PM) : 

She looks beautiful!

 

Blogger Christine--RHP said ... (12:56 PM) : 

Now there's a goddess in glasses!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:10 PM) : 

What a great picture! Love the 'in the moment' feel of this picture.

Her dress is absolutely amazing. So neat how the design shows the outline of her body.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:14 PM) : 

not really into the caftan, but i do like the way the tie dye pattern mimics the shape of her body some...

 

Anonymous Edna Mode said ... (1:19 PM) : 

...oh, for the love of Bea Arthur!

 

Blogger lauren baluyo said ... (1:21 PM) : 

Love this exotic shot! Much different than the others. That caftan is a definite head-turner!

 

Blogger diane said ... (1:42 PM) : 

Wow, gorgeous!

 

Blogger Stephanie Clayton said ... (1:47 PM) : 

Beautiful shot! That caftan is so exotic. What rich colors!
South Beach is one of my favorite people-watching places...soon to be again, once the spring-breakers are gone.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:53 PM) : 

This photo makes me want to leave New York and go to South Beach!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:09 PM) : 

Her name is Sonia Hassan.A beautiful Egyptian Sister of min e.... And you can buy her look on 125th Street in Harlem, NY.
The African shops have been selling beautiful handmade pieces like this there for 25 years.....IWouldn't it be amazing if this look came into fashion....

 

Anonymous laura said ... (2:14 PM) : 

olá... sou brasileira e este look me remeteu ao meu país. lindo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:20 PM) : 

very beautiful. i can feel the weather and the desire to quickly escape that caftan and bathe in the sun on the sands.

nice

 

Blogger Lainey said ... (2:22 PM) : 

oh my goodness, I am in LOVE with that dress!! What an awesome beach dress!

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (2:24 PM) : 

I love the shoes even more than the dress and the dress is SOOOOO fabulous !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:38 PM) : 

Her hands are so expressive! And I absolutely adore her caftan and its colors. Truly stunning.

 

Anonymous holierthannow said ... (2:41 PM) : 

tie dye for

(buh-dum chhhh!)

 

Blogger Chelsea said ... (2:46 PM) : 

i LOVE that dress! I want it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:57 PM) : 

Mrs. Roper from Three's Company called. She wants her caftan back!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:04 PM) : 

Vive le Caftan marocain

 

Blogger Hek said ... (3:06 PM) : 

Cool picture! And it makes me long for summer so much..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:24 PM) : 

she can work it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:28 PM) : 

This West African print make me want to travel back home!!!!

 

Blogger Maya Pinsky said ... (3:31 PM) : 

Caftan reminds me the brazilian brand Neon by Dudu Bertholini. http://www.neonbrazil.com.br/usa/videos.php

Very tropical!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 PM) : 

Case in point: start your day off cool, relaxed and in style. Dig the glasses. Great background choice.

 

Blogger Carissa Rose said ... (3:45 PM) : 

OMG, that is a serious caftan. It almost looks like a skeletal system with that particular print.

 

Blogger Little Clementine said ... (3:47 PM) : 

I love everything in this outfit, it has a very free feel to it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:01 PM) : 

a neo hippy grecian goddess. i live in greece so this is what im dying for this summer!!! and what is that on her wrist? feathers? to die for!!! great shot!

 

Blogger me melodia said ... (4:05 PM) : 

Were you in Miami for WMC?

 

Anonymous BOURNE said ... (4:14 PM) : 

Not feeling it. The style is pushing my taste far enough, without the addition of the ultra bright turquoise. Maybe if it was more neutral colour.

Aside from that? The shades don't fit. Annnnd, the pose has "trying hard" all over it. Sort of sums the whole look for me. (Harsh? So.)

It was pointed out on Twitter that the embroidery on the front is nice craftmanship. I agree there.

Interesting shot though.

Her effort made me look twice and got me to comment on it a few times here and elsewhere. There's something to be said for that =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:19 PM) : 

and then there is Maude...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:49 PM) : 

sartorialist are you going crazy? this is not good.

 

Blogger CW said ... (4:52 PM) : 

Very nice. Now post a pic allowing us all to comment on the swimsuit beneath.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:02 PM) : 

She looks like a mood ring (must be over 40 to understand the allusion).
Very comfortable and stylish!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (5:27 PM) : 

she is not posing, i shot this while she was fixing her hair.

Besides you wouldn't really get a sense of the dress if she was just standing with her arms down.

 

Anonymous Kevin said ... (5:39 PM) : 

This isn't a dress that would work on everyone, but she pulls it off flawlessly. It's the gladiator sandals. The sandals make the outfit, in my opinion.

 

Blogger Meagan said ... (5:45 PM) : 

There is quite a split between those that love this look and those that hate it. I don't think this piece of clothing would have gotten such a great response on a woman less stunning than she is. The shape and bright color really seem appropriate for that area of the country, though. Not something to be worn here in the Northwest still trudging through snow at the end of March.

 

Anonymous Priya Malde said ... (5:50 PM) : 

My mom and aunt have one that is almost identical (colours and all). They got it from East Africa in Kenya :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:58 PM) : 

i love the neck detail
it adds the perfect amount of delicacy

 

Anonymous Hannah said ... (5:59 PM) : 

Very sensual pattern! A new way of rocking the secretly sexy look! And the colors seem so joyful. Lovely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:03 PM) : 

yay for African boubou's.

 

Blogger Matias - Organizador said ... (7:41 PM) : 

Is a real SEA DREAM, so incredible dress!!!!


--

 

Blogger Magdalena said ... (7:55 PM) : 

So vivid and invigorating!

 

Blogger the_eye_collector said ... (8:13 PM) : 

Love how the pattern mimics the curves of her body; it's sort of like looking at an x-ray. Gives a garment that might otherwise be unflattering some shape (and sensuality!). Beautiful embroidery on the chest, too.

 

Blogger Braden Hammond Glass said ... (8:13 PM) : 

This blog f#%&in rocks!! how cool is this!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:17 PM) : 

high girl ur soaring so high girl

 

Blogger Cinthia G said ... (8:25 PM) : 

I love the details of the dress

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:08 PM) : 

I don't really like this, not too glamerous, a little to trendy...

 

Anonymous elisabeth said ... (9:38 PM) : 

This just doesn't do it for me. Brings to mind my mum's caftans. The fabric is lovely and so is the girl, I would just prefer to see her, perhaps in a bikini, posed in a chair with that fabric as the cover. But, then again, I've never been the South Beach type.
But Sart, your photos are always the best.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:50 PM) : 

I swear, he could post a picture of the Golden Girls on here and you'd all be cooing about how great they look.

 

Blogger seawallrunner said ... (10:10 PM) : 

she is too young, and too beautiful, to be wearing that muu-muu.

this is a no.

 

Anonymous The Burlap Smack said ... (11:17 PM) : 

Ok i know that the tye-dye is lame and maybe she's trying too hard to ethnic blah blah blah this is sooooooooo gorgeous! And she looks stunning! enough said.

 

Blogger Adam J. said ... (12:19 AM) : 

I actually don't really like it at all. maybe I just don't really like caftans, and also it makes her feet look like those of a penguin. Yes, there's my final thought: she looks like a tie-dyed penguin.

 

Blogger pearlsandcouture said ... (1:08 AM) : 

cute!

 

Anonymous evie said ... (1:10 AM) : 

circa 1970s?

 

Blogger petra said ... (2:56 AM) : 

i love it!! the colorS are amazing and the feather bracelet nails it.

i love you for taking shots like these! for me it's the variety that keeps things interesting.

http://youfeelinit.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Marinakvalvik said ... (3:32 AM) : 

cool ;D

 

Anonymous Alexandra said ... (4:28 AM) : 

Love the ink blot vibe and gold sandals!

 

Blogger David said ... (4:44 AM) : 

She bathes the eyes

 

Blogger Connie said ... (4:55 AM) : 

I love the varying blues and slightly tribal pattern. She looks beautiful.

theheartbreakinc.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous stylist said ... (5:14 AM) : 

nice shoot

 

Blogger . said ... (5:18 AM) : 

i couldn't stop smiling seeing this. they sell a whole lot of them her ein malaysia, a broad range from batik prints to tie-dye like this one.

only thing is people here wear it to bed. haha

but oh god i would love to wear a cafftan to the beach! it's so divine

 

Blogger mar said ... (6:09 AM) : 

stunning colors.

 

Blogger La chica said ... (6:59 AM) : 

Realmente precioso, maravillosos colores!

 

Blogger Bea said ... (7:22 AM) : 

I love this caftan!!! Nice colours

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:08 AM) : 

Reminds me of Uli's designs from Project Runway...

 

Anonymous A chicette in Paris said ... (9:48 AM) : 

Ooooh! Trippy kaftan!!! :-)

Kisses from Paris!

xoxo

www.chicsetera.com

 

Blogger MARA said ... (10:00 AM) : 

wow this girl sure looks a lot like Alicia Keys...

Amazing colors, love de metallic detail.

http://fieldsoffashion.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Pictures on Page said ... (10:12 AM) : 

What a fantastic shot! She looks like a young Alicia Keys.

 

Anonymous H* said ... (11:19 AM) : 

I'd rather say it is a "bedriya" a kind of house-cleaning dress typical from Algeria/Morocco & Tunisia ... a caftan is less ... casual ^^

Nice pic anyway ... c'est assez décalé la bedriya à Miami ...

H*
http://tresrougecarmin.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger southerngentinL.A. said ... (11:48 AM) : 

Sexy......

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:05 PM) : 

What is the piece on her wrist?

 

Blogger And So I Whisper said ... (2:46 PM) : 

I live in Africa and that is an outfit you can easily find at beach shops in Dar es Salaam, Stone Town and Mombasa.
I love the ethnic feel of it and that you can spot people wearing that in Miami.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:07 PM) : 

Sonia is a beautiful woman inside and out! She is also the face of HAJI Couture, a line of accessories which skillfully and artfully manipulates bird feathers into women's adornments, such as the wrist cuff she is wearing. www.hajicouture.com

 

Anonymous bernadette said ... (3:08 PM) : 

she looks like isadora duncan crossed with mita hari!

 

Blogger Stephanie said ... (3:17 PM) : 

I love it! Wish I could look that effortless in that.

 

Anonymous Jazibelle said ... (6:48 PM) : 

I'm from Miami, and a lot of what you see on South Beach has to do with turning heads. This would certainly accomplish that.

I'm not sure I could rock the shape and I would probably ditch those glasses in the ensemble - but I would definitely watch her walking down the sidewalk/poolside and think "That's different. That's cool." So she's good with me.

By the way, were you in Miami for the WMC/Ultra? I was walking around Ultra and actually thought to myself what you would capture in those crowds...It's always such a sight (good & bad).

 

Anonymous K said ... (8:42 PM) : 

Great picture!!!!

i've always hated tie-dye but this girl rocks it!!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:41 PM) : 

I'm a big fan of caftans-as-beachwear. Plus, her hair, cuff and glasses really complete the look. I'd maybe prefer barefeet, but alas she's not actually ON the beach so the sandals are OK.

www.visforolive.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:04 AM) : 

She looks like a beautiful sea creature!

bisous

 

Blogger makaimama said ... (3:28 AM) : 

I'm so excited to see a caftan! It would be fun to live somewhere you could get away with wearing this. I have several caftans and the only place I wear them is at home and on Kauai.

 

Blogger q8dee said ... (5:08 AM) : 

Love the whole look!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:16 AM) : 

I like the colour palette, the sandals and the glasses, but I'm not sure about the tie-dye.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 AM) : 

We are in 1970

 

Blogger Joy Mars said ... (3:02 PM) : 

Is The Sartorialist condoning boardwalk concession beachwear? Gutsy.

The gold detail with matching sandals is so... Atlantic City.

But the hedge in the back is really nice.

 

Blogger Rebecca V. O'Neal said ... (9:16 PM) : 

Her hair is amazing!

 

Blogger Lisa B. said ... (10:07 PM) : 

I love it! Very "earth mother"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 PM) : 

Reminds me of a work of fractal art.

 

Anonymous Sonali said ... (10:45 PM) : 

This girl has confidence, and she wears it well!!

 

Blogger Candace said ... (12:16 AM) : 

Great detail around the neckline! And the unique pattern made from the tie-dye drapes perfectly on her.... compliments the small frame of her body well.

Also, she looks more like the singer Mya than Alicia Keys to me.

 

Blogger tizzylish said ... (5:43 AM) : 

Wow, I love the vibrant color that she dares to wear...God, I miss my California sun....Paris seems so drab these days...Bravo to color on the street!!

http://wwwfuzzyland.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:52 AM) : 

I don't like Miami fashion. Too laid back. I love New York and European fashion. I'm getting so much inspiration from the paris, florence, and milano pictures. They look so put together. I want to move to one of these cities after college.

 

Blogger Pernilla Algede said ... (9:52 AM) : 

Amazing dress, cool with flip-flops and real funky glasses... me like!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:39 PM) : 

nice shot. nice alternative to maxi dresses which are everywhere this summer.

i wonder if she has transitions lenses (the kind sense brightness and go dark) in those glasses.

i like how the biomorphic shape of the tie dye follows her body. but get's brighter on the outside. it's almost like she's radiactive

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:46 PM) : 

stunning. everything. perfection.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:43 PM) : 

3 0 5 represent!!!!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:40 AM) : 

this is hot like cooked food. sensual & elegant!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:44 AM) : 

i love her sandals!! <3

 

Blogger Passport Stamps said ... (1:44 AM) : 

I love the African-inspired fabrics...and the flowy nature too...plus the sandals...and the hair...and the...and the...and the...you get the gist!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:13 AM) : 

Horrible. Hippie died out in the late 70s.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 AM) : 

The dress reminds me of my grandmas,mom,aunties back in Malaysia! but Im going to wear it to the mall for my holiday this summer,surely they'll laugh at me!

 

Blogger FABIANA said ... (10:34 AM) : 

MIAMI!!!
I HAVE A SIMILAR DRESS!!
LOVE IT! FRESH , COLORFUL, MAKE ME WANT TO GO THERE I MISS THE SUN,
AS ALWAYS YOU CAPTURE THE PERFECT PIC.


WWW.SELLINGDRAMA.COM

 

Blogger Simona said ... (10:47 PM) : 

It definitely has that African touch. I was surprised when I saw this. You can find it in Somali shops that's for sure. My sister had an old one like this. Cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:48 PM) : 

I had a dress like that but I've overgrown it. looks very Nigerian or west african in general. Things we take for granted looks beautiful/exotic to others. lol

 

Anonymous imran said ... (7:10 AM) : 

Wow!!! What a real asian dress beauty. LOve the color of the dress and style of the lady. The sandals are unique too. Look at the nail polish. How great it looks on white cute feet :-)

imran.
best teeth whitening

 

Blogger mijizanine said ... (1:49 AM) : 

sonia h. is indeed a Goddess.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 AM) : 

Natural beauty,effortless style.Great that you can perceive it.Yea Sonia,big-up hajicouture!

 

Anonymous NutraBrite said ... (5:24 PM) : 

awesome !!!

 

Anonymous Birthday gift baskets said ... (10:05 AM) : 

Extremely good looking.

I have been reading your blog last couple of weeks and enjoy every bit. Thanks

 

Anonymous Resveratrol said ... (12:58 PM) : 

It would be fun to live somewhere you could get away with wearing this. I have several caftans and the only place I wear them is at home and on Kauai.

 

Blogger deepak said ... (2:55 AM) : 

This is very useful information, especially for fashion designer. Thanks!html to pdf and Love meter

 

Anonymous Anise said ... (11:01 AM) : 

In Malaysia, it's normal for the Malay women to wear this at home, even when sleeping! I kid you not...
The material is made from cotton or silk and the prints are either floral or ethnic motifs called "batik"..

 

Anonymous HTC Desire Case said ... (6:11 AM) : 

I love this kaftan. Looks great

 

Anonymous John said ... (2:11 AM) : 

I really like this picture due to many of the reasons. First, you really captured the "moment" that is just astonishing. Also, beautiful kaftan on exotic woman.

John,
Teeth Whitening

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:35 AM) : 

This reminds me of an amoeba :D It's still really pretty

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting