This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Navy & Green, Florence

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, January 15, 2009

On the Street....Navy & Green, Florence


I love the idea of an army surplus jacket thrown casually over a very "bespoke-ish" navy DB sportscoat, navy turtleneck and crisp white jeans.

It just seems like a perfect balance between sporty and proper.

FYI - he was wearing black lace-up shoes, but easily could have gone with dark chocolate brown or even a cognac brown shoe.

Comments on "On the Street....Navy & Green, Florence"

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (8:38 AM) : 

Surplus items are easy pieces, provided they fit well. They are the stuff you can pack for trips and not worry about losing, usually. I usually wear a vintage wool over shirt with labels in italian. The downside is, of course, that one has to forage surplus stores, or pay very high prices at boutiques. I think this example works because everything else he is wearing is very high quality, and that balances for the utilitarian jacket. I would have never worn it with white pants, but it looks good on him. Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Blogger One Man's Style said ... (8:42 AM) : 

great look..I would rather see brown shoes though...big fan of always wearing brown!

 

Blogger Eff Dee Aytche said ... (8:48 AM) : 

i actually always loved that type of look myself....he has an awesome use of color as well. great shot man

 

Blogger Theresa P said ... (8:56 AM) : 

It´soooo typical Italien - love the pic!!

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (8:56 AM) : 

The colours go well together. A slight nautical feel somehow even though the jacket is army. Classic James Bond (aka Sean Connery) might throw an army jacket over his navy DB before requesting permission to come aboard.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 AM) : 

Overall, very good look, however, can't say I am feeling white jeans in January in the northern hemisphere.

 

Blogger Eeva Rinne said ... (9:10 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (9:12 AM) : 

Nice. The coat certainly changes the look- at first glance I thought the whole outfit was more casual than it is. Is he wearing a black turtleneck? That might tie in the black shoes, otherwise I would've expected brown. A very confident look, especially with those startlingly white jeans. Florence is looking good.

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (9:18 AM) : 

Top: really interesting mix of concepts. Pants: not a fan, not for the winter at least.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:19 AM) : 

Sart, this shot is absolutely amazing!! The beautiful sportscoat and white jeans with a very cool M-65 field jacket! Italian "sprezzatura" at it's best!

Please visit Helsinki and Copenhagen when you visit the Nordic region next time. I would love to see some shots from those cities!

 

Blogger J.A.F. said ... (9:21 AM) : 

Sorry, I just can't...if that surplus jacket were white or khaki maybe but this seems a little hap hazard. I love everything else.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (9:27 AM) : 

Too bad I can't see the shoes. I also wear white pants a lot, lately.

Great pic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 AM) : 

Field jackets are very popular in Italy at the moment.. I sense a new trend!! I've seen many Italians wearing them over a suit like this gentleman. It's a very cool look. Bellissimo!!

 

Blogger TMFA said ... (9:34 AM) : 

Not necessarily my preferred style but I like how he pulls it off!

 

Blogger Stephanie Clayton said ... (9:36 AM) : 

these colors are so pleasing together, worn in this way. i like the rugged-man-in-white-pants combo...not many men can pull off wearing white pants!
and surplus jackets...yes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 AM) : 

He is the yummiest of your Italian men yet.
Interesting high/low combination.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 AM) : 

First things first... that's great photography! I don't know whether it's his crisp white jeans which really set off the background or if it is the other way around?

Great find!

Nicky X

FASHBASHSOUNDCLASH

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:07 AM) : 

killer ensemble - italians do it better

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:08 AM) : 

Testosterone walking, perfectly clad, beautifully shot.

 

Blogger Sanna said ... (10:09 AM) : 

WHITE JEANS!!!! So wrong and yet so right. He really owns the look. Perhaps the trick is keeping them insanely white...

White Wall High Heel

 

Blogger N said ... (10:15 AM) : 

very cool. white jeans in the winter is something I'm a big fan of.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:26 AM) : 

Are we sute that it is a real army surplus jacket, or a "createur" reinterpetation ? As we have a lot of the ones in France ?

The fabric and fit look so good, so I wonder. However, nicely done ans great great fiel jacket, I really love them on men, it gives a certain casualness I like. On the contrary, I hate navy/saling big waterproof vests you can see on some French execs (the Aigle jacket for example :;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:37 AM) : 

loved every post from pelliccerie on, from this Firenze journey... how I miss this city… The lady in sand and grey in brown looks fantastics... actually what surprises me is the range of fittings choice! cheers

 

Blogger Allen - East Hampton said ... (10:55 AM) : 

this is an ideal all of us guys should aim for. simple & to the point. great look & great shot!
bravo!

 

Blogger Olviya said ... (10:57 AM) : 

moreover, he is very handsome!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 AM) : 

def looking good there!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 AM) : 

Quiero conocer a ese hombre. Me encanta !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:30 AM) : 

busy time, casual man and white trouser is just so hot!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:52 AM) : 

Wow! I love it!

Is that a true Army Surplus jacket? If so, I love it even more! The green looks purrrfect with navy blue -- and the white jeans! Great idea!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:57 AM) : 

I've always enjoyed layering a scruffy surplus item over sharper clothes, though once I did something quite different out of practicality. I had a tweed sport jacket that I was wearing during the day, and kept my beat up leather hip length jacket in my bag. I later went clubbing and wore my leather, sticking the tweed in my bag. On the bus ride home it got chilly so I put the tweed on over the more fitted and thin leather. Only did it once, because it seemed a bit naff, but I bet it looked not bad.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 PM) : 

I like it, and the casual jacket over the dressed outfit under looks great!

 

Blogger JP said ... (12:09 PM) : 

great photo! it looks effortless

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (12:17 PM) : 

The jacket combination is brilliant, but I'm loving white jeans in winter most of all!

 

Blogger Bedlam said ... (12:22 PM) : 

like this photo, pants balance the look

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:27 PM) : 

navy and green are my favorite colors to put together. the way that he paired them with the white pants provides a perfect, and almost nautical look! hearing you say that he had black lace up shoes kind of bothers me though, i agree with you Sart, that if he had a cognac or chocolate shoe, he would have sealed the deal with this super comfortable ensemble.

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (2:23 PM) : 

Such a handsome man !
And white trousers are mostly a no-no for me but it suits him fabulous !

 

Blogger joe t said ... (2:36 PM) : 

love the classic army jacket!! and the WHITE jeans, looks great and very pulled together.....

 

Blogger diane said ... (2:37 PM) : 

His look makes sense to me, and I love the way he appears to be completely oblivious to you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:08 PM) : 

I would never have thought to balance a military jacket with white jeans, but it seems this man has enough class to pull it off.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:20 PM) : 

He loks like Hugh Jackman... Am I going crazy???

Have a "fashionful" week,

Fran Rosa.

 

Blogger Ashley said ... (4:55 PM) : 

Love this picture, don't even mind the white pants! I wish we could see his shoes - I bet they're gorgeous as well. I can see black shoes working with this whole look.

-Ashley
http://breakfastatsaks.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:56 PM) : 

I like the picture. The colors, notably that woman's shoes, stand out despite the flat light, . On another note, the word "bespoke" seems to be getting thrown around a little too often these days.

 

Blogger Miguel said ... (6:28 PM) : 

Oh!!! I defenetly love this.

 

Blogger Miguel said ... (6:51 PM) : 

It is defenetly great style. At least that my opinion.

 

Blogger Hannah Stephenson said ... (7:58 PM) : 

I love this action shot! He is totally absorbed in conversation and errand-running...

The jacket is great, and relaxed and pulled together.

 

Blogger Craig Curtis said ... (8:24 PM) : 

I LOVE IT!!! And where in the good old USofA can I find a pair of white jeans? But yes, a shot of the shoes only whetted my appetite more!

 

Blogger Shaynuh said ... (8:44 PM) : 

It's fascinating to see this guy wearing "white" trousers! That's something you don't see everyday, even in Miami! =)

 

Blogger Michael Kalbo said ... (9:30 PM) : 

Any photos of the navy coat he's wearing. I love the two colors together. It just works well.

 

Blogger Zenas313 said ... (10:25 PM) : 

Black lace ups? I thought a rule of fashion in Italy was black shoes for weddings or funerals only. The contrast is interesting, not compelling.

 

Blogger Thomas said ... (10:46 PM) : 

i heart the white pants

 

Blogger Dinah Cardozo said ... (11:09 PM) : 

Great! "Pants balance the look", that's true.

 

Blogger lenmeister said ... (11:46 PM) : 

Eureka! ther's a way to pull-off white jeans! Always been skeptical about whites, but this here is almost like an epiphany to me, kudos to the gentleman. Another fine shot sart.

 

Blogger THE DAY AFTER YOU DIE said ... (12:53 AM) : 

And the survey says......WHITE JEANS CAN BE WORN ALL YEAR LONG!!if
you have any doubt look outside ,think can i wear them today?if you can, then they are a do.it's jan and it was 82 degrees today, these would have been perfect.

 

Blogger Emily said ... (2:01 AM) : 

Amazing combination. I will be converting this into something that works on me soon! read: me=woman.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:58 AM) : 

italianissimo!!!!!!!!!! im lovin' that you are in Italy, Sart, and through your pictures I dream that I'm still there! thank you!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:57 AM) : 

Impressive, but "don't try this at home, boys and girls".

 

Blogger Liz Lizo said ... (5:17 AM) : 

Well dressed handsome man.

 

Blogger MAYA METNI said ... (5:31 AM) : 

Ah italians...
why oh why wasn't I born there?
did you notice that no matter what social class or age they are all stylish?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:42 AM) : 

Good look just change the white jean in blue jean

 

Blogger Ms L said ... (6:20 AM) : 

I love your blog and your photos, especially now that they are so big! I want my photos to appear this big on my own blog. I have tried everything but I cannot get it to work! How on earth did you do it?! Please tell, I have to know!

Thank you very much!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:38 AM) : 

I think this is the most adulation I've ever seen for a M65 Field Jacket. Last thing I expected on this blog!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 AM) : 

The combination of colors works fine, but I find the combination of styles to be confusing.
I think he'd look a hundred times better in a light wool coat of the same color without the military styling.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:26 AM) : 

i know this guy and he is always very very stilish...he's a true mode connoisseur. ;-)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:30 AM) : 

Is it safe to bleach white jeans? Or do you run the risk of ruining the integrity of the denim?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:36 AM) : 

hate it. can i guess? he was so cold that he put the first piece of clothing he reached over the look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:19 PM) : 

Fashion is always changing. I've seen white shoes in Paris in winter and tights worn with peeptoe shoes. Once like white pants a taboo until after Memorial Day.
I like this guy's look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:42 PM) : 

Very nautical, if you will.

 

Blogger Milo Beloved said ... (4:07 PM) : 

To me, this just seems like a perfect example of a mistake that works . . .

I highly doubt anyone would have put those pieces together on purpose.

Which is why I think that this is so great.

 

Blogger Susie said ... (6:55 PM) : 

I love this, everything about it. I find it interesting that a lot of people don't like the white pants.... I thought it was back in my moms day that you had to retire white in the winter. These look like a heavy fabric so in my book they are fine. I love that he's quite well turned out and then adds the army sort of jacket. Its unexpected in my book and I love that in a man, when he does and can pull off something like this. I like that his hair and beard is a little bit relaxed too. Nothing about this outfit and this man I don't like.

 

Blogger erin nuts said ... (9:23 PM) : 

Absolutely gorgeous. I like how he manages to not look bulky. I'm always impressed with people who can do that and still look warm...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:59 PM) : 

when you're that handsome you can get away
with murder...

i have adapted to the tights and peep toes but i still go by the no white in the winter rule.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 AM) : 

this gentleman's choice in layering comes off as if it was nonchalantly or haphazardly executed, but i would imagine that some effort was actually employed in selecting each garment for effect - and this is why he looks so fabulous in his perfect unfussiness...where can one find such an absolutely gorgeous man with intrinsic style?

 

Blogger saysee said ... (1:10 PM) : 

The clicks are amazing!!

 

Blogger Lucy said ... (8:03 PM) : 

I like the navy and green look. It's both smart and casual.

Well I suppose it depends what the garments are, but this works!

 

Blogger SarahwithanH said ... (10:49 PM) : 

Love this! I need to forage for one of those jackets.

Excellent shot, this man has made something work that I never would have that of.

 

Blogger Nicole said ... (11:38 PM) : 

opposites attract! looks yummy.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:43 PM) : 

wow. i really think this is all about his white pants. lovely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:15 PM) : 

sorry, i think the messages are a little mixed as are the materials.
zeke

 

Blogger Tiger Fodder said ... (1:48 PM) : 

I would have thought this was a faux pas, until I saw the picture. I may try it myself. I have all the pieces but never thought of combining them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:36 PM) : 

I love everything about this. I think the "commander" look he's achieved is only going to become more popular in fashion as the economy weakens.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:15 PM) : 

Wow, it looks terrific.
Any, "if I may say so" - you're getting better and better!!

 

Blogger Plaid Dad said ... (5:02 PM) : 

on the street-Army and Navy,Florence.OK?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:27 AM) : 

Love this look. How can this work on a woman? I'm classic yet tom boyish louise brooksish gal. What modifications can be made to suit a
Modern day classic?

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting