This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Gloves - The Finishing Touch, Florence

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, January 16, 2009

On the Street....Gloves - The Finishing Touch, Florence



Comments on "On the Street....Gloves - The Finishing Touch, Florence"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:51 AM) : 

beautiful and elegant..love when men accessorize with style..inspired again

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (9:01 AM) : 

I have always been amazed at the nice leather gloves sold by some of the most traditional hardware stores- the first example looks a lot like some of those gloves. No cashmere lining or anything, just well- worked leather. I have to say of all these examples, the top ones are my favorite, especially because they add a touch of color to a rather serious outfit. Time to hit the hardware store! Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:09 AM) : 

On the last one, the gloves were not the first thing I noticed. He's impeccable. I do love how his gloves blend in.

 

Blogger Aaron Brown said ... (9:13 AM) : 

The first guy looks like a a construction worker wearing a nice coat, but the other two gentlemen are well-dressed.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:22 AM) : 

Love that first shot. Hate to use this expression, but the gloves really do make the whole ensemble pop.

 

Blogger stacy said ... (9:28 AM) : 

it's ALWAYS about the details.

 

Blogger Mo said ... (9:45 AM) : 

i adore that last shot, so classic and sharp. Very nice.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:46 AM) : 

I adore the yellow globes on the first picture!Absolutely the finishing touch!

 

Blogger christinaooi said ... (9:50 AM) : 

the scarf on the first guy is really disruptive. :(

but the last guy really knows how to play his lines. :)

 

Blogger McLaura said ... (9:54 AM) : 

The yellow gloves in the top photo are fabulous! I love bright accessories for dreary winter days.

 

Blogger Chris said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Am I the only one who has a major issue with big gloves? I think Mickey Mouse is haunting me.

Thin, elegant leather gloves on the last photo: really, really nice.

 

Blogger Mihal said ... (9:59 AM) : 

uugh, nothing like images of a well-dressed man to start your day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 AM) : 

I love the yellow gloves on the first gentleman! Beautiful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05 AM) : 

Number 3 - Stunning!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05 AM) : 

The yellow ones are spectacular. I use waded leather mittens.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:09 AM) : 

The man holding the magazine (Astrology?) is doing his own thing--an example of the aforementioned "unconscious style"?
The other two men have all the rules right; still, they look glorious in that each makes his look his own. What's in the air in Florence that endows so many of its men with their wonderful peacock attitudes?
Out of envy, I'm not going to comment on the gloves. At -17 degrees this morning, Chicago is deep in mitten weather--with little heating bags inside.

 

Blogger thwany said ... (10:11 AM) : 

i love the look of the third man.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:24 AM) : 

Sart,

The ash gray pants in the first photo... could you picture these without cuffs? Would you sign off on such a choice? Curious.

Thanks for the help.

Franco

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:24 AM) : 

I have some gorgeous, soft-as-butter leather gloves from Florence. Not very warm, but they are just enough sometimes. I like the look of gloves with a suit and no overcoat (on a man or woman; I'm a woman), but I rarely dare to do it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:32 AM) : 

Bachelor #3 looks like a Bond villain.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 AM) : 

Do you mind to tell me with camera you use for this amazing shots in Italy?

 

Blogger Gould said ... (10:44 AM) : 

These guys work in the fashion industry, right? They're too preppy...

 

Blogger Pigtown*Design said ... (10:44 AM) : 

There's nothing like a beautiful pair of leather gloves to make an outfit shine.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:49 AM) : 

Here in Toronto it is -20C, there's a power blackout, and I wore ski-mitts to the office. Needless to say I can not wait to get back into my beautiful gloves purchased in Florence in November. In the meantime, these gentlemen have warmed my day.

 

Blogger joe t said ... (11:05 AM) : 

love the first two pic's! call me crazy i just don't get the suit and gloves, call me old fashion but he needs a overcoat,, anyone know who's bag that is??

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 AM) : 

I don't get the comments about the third man vs. the first. All the thrid man is doing is wearing a thin suit with a dark scarf. Its tailored well and looks great, but no more than half the men I see on the streets of London every day.

The first man "looks like a construction worker". Huh? He's wearing a beautiful casual leather boot, a very nicely cut heather grey trouser and gloves that pop. I wouldn't wear it to where I work, but he looks refined for a day about town.

 

Blogger Jill said ... (11:09 AM) : 

The last photo...MMMMMMM...such a sleek cat!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:35 AM) : 

I have to agree with Aaron Brown and Chris, chunky, coarse gloves don't add to the look. They detract; making us think that he's not used to wearing gloves, so he borrowed a pair from his gardner.
Like wearing a carpenter's tool belt with a bespoke suit.

The rest of his look is great, the shoes in particular.

 

Blogger TEXTSTYLES said ... (11:37 AM) : 

yellow. period.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 AM) : 

Mens gloves suffer from the problem that it is difficult to pick up a pair of leather gloves in anything but black or brown.

Really like the green gloves in the middle.

Took me six months to find a pair of purple leather gloves. Color is good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:39 AM) : 

It's a car magazine "Quattroruote",
the second and third are correct but not interesting, about the first one i'm asking myself what he is wearing under peacock. Can i call it style ?

Max

 

Blogger Hannah Stephenson said ... (11:52 AM) : 

The yellow gloves in the first picture are my favorite! What style! I love unexpected accessories like this (bright and cheerful umbrellas or rainboots, too).

I'd love to try some women's day gloves for summertime...not very practical, but oh so elegant! Thoughts?

 

Blogger Claudia Shekufendeh said ... (11:57 AM) : 

I do adore all three men, but have to admit the gloves of the third one are simply delicious, just in the way they adhere so well to the hand...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 PM) : 

Notice that 95% of all these pictures are men. Why do Italian men dress so much better than the women? I've been to Italy, its true.

 

Blogger diane said ... (12:15 PM) : 

The first two gentle men are wearing gloves of color, and so are lifting their outfits towards a hint of Spring, bravo! The third one is truly elegant, but stuck in Winter.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (12:15 PM) : 

Well, I was amazed by their whole outfit actually.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:25 PM) : 

all three look thoughtfully dressed but the first photo,
I don't like the fullness at the bottom of the coat.

 

Blogger TMFA said ... (12:29 PM) : 

top notch style

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:35 PM) : 

Can anyone give a suggestion on who has made the suit on the third picture? Except for the cuffs it's precisely how it should be.

 

Blogger Bedlam said ... (12:37 PM) : 

these men looks great, love the last photo

 

Blogger Honeygo Beasley said ... (12:40 PM) : 

Top guy's pants and shoes are so ... casually slick!

 

Blogger miss sophie said ... (1:10 PM) : 

what's really fascinating is how all three men are wearing brilliantly saturated navy blues. maybe it is somewhat related to the lighting, but i find the navy color base in the first two photos to be integral to setting off the lovely 'pop' of the gloves.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:38 PM) : 

The third man looks gorgeous.

 

Blogger Adam said ... (1:38 PM) : 

I adore yellow leather gloves. The first place that I saw them worn in this way was in your GQ page last fall/winter. All wonderful examples!

 

Blogger Leigha said ... (1:43 PM) : 

I know exactly where that last picture was taken and it leaves me with a longing to return to my beloved Firenze. I've just started reading your blog and love the romance of it. Mi Piace.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:46 PM) : 

I really like the boots on the first guy. They are great!
Anybody know what brand?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:58 PM) : 

Those men look so chic. I love to see men accessorize. It shows that they are aware of what they look like. And what is more, it shows they care about their appearance!

 

Blogger Noah Champion said ... (2:03 PM) : 

There's something very plebeian about the notion of gloves because of their mere sense of function.
And yet in each of these three examples they're made to act as a finishing adornment.
I really enjoy the variety in the choices.

Tous les trois sont tres jolies.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:07 PM) : 

I love the gloves on number two - sort of playful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:07 PM) : 

It's always good when men pay attention to details and accessories. I prefer the quirkiness of #2 and the elegance of #3, the yellow gloves of #1 jars and referencing Jorge from WPB they look a little fishermanish, which could be good but not in the context of the rest of his outfit, for me at least.

 

Blogger Leopold Gloom said ... (3:13 PM) : 

Can anyone tell me name of the type of hat the gentleman in the second picture is wearing?

'Rene' hat? As in The Stone Roses.

I like it.

 

Blogger Jeroen Visser said ... (3:13 PM) : 

Nice use of color in the first one, but I'd rather wear the 2nd pair, they look mmmmmm, warmmm..

 

Blogger Sasha said ... (3:30 PM) : 

Men should never wear gloves in bright colours, especially not in winter.

www.runway-tomorrow.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Jazzbuff630 said ... (3:32 PM) : 

Love that celadon scarf the first guy is wearing.

 

Blogger Breathless said ... (3:42 PM) : 

Ah, It's all about the details, isn't it?

The man in the third photo is so elegant, what a looker!

 

Blogger Leah Barlow said ... (3:44 PM) : 

I love the last pic with the tailored suit, scarf, and gloves. The all-black ensemble makes him look even more polished.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:52 PM) : 

I tend to look at your site every few days and it always is a pleasant surprise to see real people dressed well. They typically are not young men in some designer creation that few wear, but instead real people with style.
Thanks
MP

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:04 PM) : 

I love the last photo.

Womanwear is beautiful but manswear can be sensational.

 

Blogger Milo Beloved said ... (4:05 PM) : 

I love the gloves in the first picture, but I detest the shoes. I think that it would be great to have a simple pair of dress shoes with socks that match the gloves!


The third look though . . .

flawless.

 

Blogger melina said ... (4:25 PM) : 

Your pictures are the best!
Congratulations, I love your blog :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:36 PM) : 

Gorgeous! I too love the yellow gloves from the first picture.

 

Blogger mockumentary said ... (5:15 PM) : 

I like the pop of 1's yellow gloves within his outfit, but don't they seem a bit cheaply flashy? It feels like Fast and Furious movie characters in cold weather.
3 looks fantastic

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:16 PM) : 

such a sexy look!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:17 PM) : 

Gloves really are the best winter accessories!!!
If there's anyone who's looking for something really really special, you should take a look at Estonian style, there is a young lady called MARU who really makes the pest looking gloves of all time! Favourite! http://www.kindad.marudesign.eu/

 

Blogger St. Mário said ... (5:47 PM) : 

the gloves!

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (6:11 PM) : 

The gentleman in the first photo is wearing some beautiful pieces- I like the scarf and the pants in particular- but the palette seems haphazard to me. I think it's the dark coat and bright gloves combined with the pastels. The one in the third photo is playing it much more safely but still to great effect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:17 PM) : 

cuff, no cuff? would both work for the first man?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 PM) : 

Sasha

"Men should never wear gloves in bright colours, especially not in winter."

Says who?

Comments like this have legions of men wearing the same suit, with the same shirt, with the same tie, with the same overcoat.

I dare to say that there are very few hard and fast absolute rules when it comes to fashion. After all, fashion is art and expression. When you try to codify it, you lose everything that was worth having.

I for one love my purple leather gloves and dont intend to give them up for anyone.

 

Blogger Shaynuh said ... (7:04 PM) : 

They really are a finishing touch! I love the yellow gloves in the first pic! Nice pop of color! :)

 

Blogger Miguel said ... (7:46 PM) : 

The are all very nice looking but the yellow ones on top are superb...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:07 PM) : 

I love that Mr. Yellow Gloves/Lime Green scarf is wearing a dark blue jacket with light grey pants ... like "The Smile" a few days ago ... and both are wearing pants that are very crisply tailored, ironed, and finished. Both are equally stunning.

I'm going to scour my closet for same.

Bummer.

 

Blogger J.A.F. said ... (9:13 PM) : 

Incredible attention to detail...I love it when guys think about this stuff.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:25 PM) : 

the second cat is CHILLIN! the jacket and gloves are funk fresh

#1 the yellow gloves are a nice touch, the colors play well with the jacket pants & wheat chukkas

the last dude is just clean. it's a good look.

lol somebody said he looked like a bond villian. well, i guess you should've handed him a silver glock so it 'pops' (pun intended) against the navy hookup ha ha

 

Blogger pRiyA said ... (10:04 PM) : 

never have i seen men dress as well as they do in these pictures taken in Florence. these shots are a pleasure to behold.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 PM) : 

I love that you are focusing on what most inspires you and what you most love to photograph but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't miss women on the pages of The Sartorialist. LOVE your blog, and I'm staying faithful! hahaha.
Rachel in NYC

 

Blogger Roger Stahl said ... (10:59 PM) : 

First guy is terrific - great scarf, glasses, hair, trouser and boots (grey pants and tan/suede - awe-inspiring; but the Wells Lamont gloves make it.
The third guy is slick and cool - a bit cliche.
The middle photo? Sorry but the fuzzy gloves make me think - Chewbacca.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:14 PM) : 

I love look #1. he's gorgeous. maybe he wears those gloves all the time. it's his one pair of gloves that he loves most. i dig it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:01 AM) : 

The gentleman in the last picture. He is very handsome. I love the blues. It gave him an air of mystery.

 

Blogger Ruhvana and Flanelli said ... (5:54 AM) : 

I love those yellow gloves!

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (8:28 AM) : 

3 men with such great style...My favourite has to be the gentlemen in the 1st picture...
He has mixed all these lovely colours effortless together ... and I love the way he has tied up his scarf..
beautiful colour...is it "pistache" ??

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:28 AM) : 

first picture- quite like the flavour the yellow gloves add, however im not big fan of those shoes..

third picture- just absoloutely beautiful!

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (2:31 PM) : 

The man in the suit, standing by the Uffizi (I think), looks fantastic! What a great combination of elements: scarf, gloves, jacket. Perfect.

 

Blogger Grinder said ... (3:38 PM) : 

You've got serious skills man.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:52 PM) : 

i've been wanting gloves so badly and this is only worsening my problem... haha. still, i can't justify buying any when it's 80 degrees outside (I live in L.A).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:16 PM) : 

The first guy reminds me of Anthony Bourdain.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:27 PM) : 

This is really really really posh!

Fran Rosa

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:31 PM) : 

Anyone know where I can pick up gloves and a scarf similar to what is in number one?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:53 PM) : 

WHO IS THE 3RD GUY??

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 PM) : 

Please, desperate here. First pant, would no cuffs work? Trying to learn.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:37 PM) : 

I think I posted this earlier but I don't see it now...

Does anyone know where I can get gloves and a scarf similar to what number one is wearing?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:59 AM) : 

I think the suit on the man on the last picture is gorgeous, very flattering and I love the charcoal colour.

sonia.

 

Blogger Theresa said ... (6:28 AM) : 

Italian men have great style - they can wear a scabby old jumper and deck shoes and still look like they have just walked off a catwalk. Tip my hat.

Their Style Remains.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:10 AM) : 

"Sunny yellow always makes a dreary day cheery" ... And it shows he doesn't take himself too seriously. I love bright colours in the grey of winter.

 

Blogger Allen - East Hampton said ... (10:49 AM) : 

Pic 1 - Perfect head to toe, but the pants/boots combo really sets it all off.

Pic 2 - Novel way to wear those gloves.

Pic 3 - Not a fan of this look. What are people trying to prove? Throw on a coat already.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:58 AM) : 

"Don't hate, appreciate!". - Former Student

The yellow gloves are Florentine to the "T". If more men took the care to add something to the boring uniform of men's style, we would not feel so all alone and nameless/ faceless.

 

Blogger Remah said ... (2:38 PM) : 

Ahh! I love his outfit. The scarf and the leather gloves are the finishing touch for his chic outfit. Though, I'm not too sure about his choice of shoes.

 

Blogger One Man's Style said ... (11:23 AM) : 

I Like the blod gloves very Etro

 

Blogger Tiger Fodder said ... (1:46 PM) : 

I'm not feeling the love here. I hate the first two sets of gloves. The bottom picture shows an elegant black leather glove, but that is all it is. I may be biased as I am a vegetarian and don't wear leather, but find these examples to be lacking. On the other hand the rest of their outfits are spot on.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:27 PM) : 

Hats & gloves really finish an outfit, no matter what the weather! My grandparents would put on a hat and gloves every time they left the house. Bring back hats & gloves, I say!

In winter my grandma would wear a warm hat, well pinned against the wind, and woollen or kid gloves. In summer she wore a wide-brimmed hat and white cotton gloves.

These pics make me fall in love with gloves all over again! Now I aspire to have an entire closet dedicated to hats and gloves!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:34 PM) : 

I'm really impressed by the first and last guys. Their suits fit perfectly. I'm too scared to wear as many colors as the first guy, so I'm always happy to see someone who isn't. As for the middle, I love the jacket and turtleneck, and the gloves (although I wish they weren't so bulky), but his hat accentuates the flabbiness of his face and shoulders.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:41 PM) : 

Who is man # 3? He's gorgeous!

 

Blogger Sandra said ... (6:31 AM) : 

Very classy and elegant. Love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 AM) : 

cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:45 PM) : 

Yum, yum, yum, all three (and Mr Mod Pants Stripy Socks above too). Playful, confident and dead sexy, except maybe the bucket hat, but no biggie. All three complement each other and should always have coffee in the same cafe at the same time so they can be enjoyed together.

From a female perspective, menswear rules seem to be very grim, so men who knowingly mess with them ALWAYS get my vote.

I thought Milanese men were good but I think Florence has the edge!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 AM) : 

to Ed @ 10:37,

You can find similar gloves (as all three men) at Madova in Florence. They have beautiful colors. They're on the internet as well, but cheaper at the store.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:33 AM) : 

I love the cut of this suit! Turn ups (cuffs) on trousers look cool, thought I'm not so sure of the gloves///:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 PM) : 

Absolutely elegant! Fantastic style and cut of suit.

Your photos are AMAZING and inspirational!! Keep it up!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:34 PM) : 

perfect fit, perfect attitude!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:47 AM) : 

The third man in this series looks incredible. Breathtaking color. His pose is perfect. Incredible style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:35 AM) : 

Until the third picture, I never thought I would find a suit frightening. Deeply unsettling cut.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:54 PM) : 

simply hot!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting