This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Cotton, Cashmere & Nylon, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

On the Street....Cotton, Cashmere & Nylon, NYC


Being stylish doesn't always mean being dressed-up.

Real life is walking the dog at 7 am, or the morning coffee run, or taking your kids to the school bus (or sometimes all three at once).

For me, I find a mix of sweat pants, nylon coat and a cashmere scarf, hat and gloves the perfect mix. Apparently so does my friend Robert who I ran into the other morning in the West Village.

So here is the question.

Except for going to/from the gym, does a Sartorialist ever wear sweats after 10 a.m.?

Before 10 a.m. sweats seem like a perfect solution, after 10 a.m. they just seem lazy.

Comments on "On the Street....Cotton, Cashmere & Nylon, NYC"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:40 AM) : 

Ha, but lazyness is a kind of luxurious nonchalance, the perfect hedonist ;-)

 

Blogger InStudio Blog said ... (8:44 AM) : 

Good question because I have a co-worker who wears sweats to work EVERY day. So, I need to know, is she fly and the rest of us are lame or should I circle the wagons?

 

Blogger greyrabbitblog said ... (9:07 AM) : 

im going to say, sweats anytime is ok as long as you have your dog with you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:14 AM) : 

In a word, no. After walking the dog/getting coffee/ getting kids on the bus a real sartorialist/sartorialista puts on a real pair of pants.

 

Blogger Shaynuh said ... (9:16 AM) : 

Its a very practical get up for the "on-the-go" type of morning, and for your question, I think it really depends on what the individual considers appropriate.

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (9:17 AM) : 

I agree with you. There's a time and place for everything (within reason), but not everything goes at just any time and place. You can look stylish dashing around the corner for your morning coffee or walking the dog without being dressed for the day, but if it's important to you you'll still consider how you look when doing it, and I think a surprizing number of people will note and appreciate the fact that you do.

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (9:18 AM) : 

Sweats are neither easier to take care of nor any more comfortable than an old pair of jeans, so my reply is unless going or coming from the gym, sweatpants are a no-no, unless you look smashing in them of course!!! Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:20 AM) : 

Indeed, the great questioning of a marvelously superficial existence... sweat or no sweat?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:23 AM) : 

Well,...probably I woudn't wear sweatpants either to the gym, there are other solutions like running pants, or short-swimming pants...But, yeah,definitely never after 10am in public...at home, if you're not warm enough to go in your cozies, they are the perfect solution!
XOXO

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 AM) : 

I don't like this look at all, it is sloppy and certainly not stylish; if you wish to see droves of people dressed like this, just venture to any odd supermarket in a regular city around lunchtime.
Why not instead wear a pair of sturdy trousers (moleskins, denim, cords), boots, shirt, jumper, and jacket or coat?
You could even go for shirt, woolen tie and tweed jacket, thus after having finished with the dog just needing to change the trousers and footwear and you're good to go.

 

Blogger meredith said ... (9:26 AM) : 

Pretty dog.

 

Blogger Karmander said ... (9:28 AM) : 

That dog is the perfect accessory. What a handsome color!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

Coool dog

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

Who cares about the scarfs and pants if you have the prettiest accessory on the leash!!!! i LOVE this dog! he's something i would always love to "wear"!! Jealous sigh..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 AM) : 

oooo, this is right up my alley, I have always been the person who is NEVER caught with sweats on out of the house.

however, lately I have finally found a sweat solution I feel comfortable with....

If they are tucked into boots (especially rainboots) and bunch up around the knees, I find the look to be a much more dressed up version of sweats. Really adds falir to something I had until in recent weeks, found very unwearable.

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (9:39 AM) : 

Sorry, I didn't answer your specific question- I say no to sweats after 10:00 AM. Maybe going to the gym if it's nearby, otherwise you can change there, right?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 AM) : 

Cute dog!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:50 AM) : 

I totally agree!
I'm in college and unfortunately good style around campus here is very rare. Lots of people wear sweatpants all the time.
Come on people! Why not take the exact same amount of energy and at least put on some jeans?!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:00 AM) : 

Cute dog !

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:03 AM) : 

I don't think it's a time of day thing as much as a function thing. Sweatpants outside the home are for exercising. One could argue that walking one's dog counts as exercise, but even before 10 am I wouldn't wear sweatpants to the corner for a coffee if I wanted to be considered well dressed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:07 AM) : 

Saludos. Me gusta mucho el sitio. Ja, buena analogia.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:12 AM) : 

As one blogger put it, it's the pajamafication of America! Even going to the gym, you can accessorize your sweats with a nice scarf.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:17 AM) : 

its true-- though his rich basics are great and i love his jacket-- the dog is the star of the show. i want one exactly like it!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:18 AM) : 

This man is totally appropriate for what he is doing. More than totally appropriate, he doesn't look half bad!
With this said, sweats are a no-go out of the house or after morning chores are taken care of. A sartorialist is focused on the fit and tailoring of his clothing, so how could one even want to wear sweats?
Most people make themselves look frumpy and large in baggy clothes.

The dog is the best dressed thing that I see!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:22 AM) : 

I am opposed to sweats at all times

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 AM) : 

Sweats are ONLY for going to the gym or staying inside.
I live in Chicago where I see people wearing sweats at all hours of the day - it just says lazy, tired and resentful for having to leave the house at all.
At least throw on some jeans!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 AM) : 

how are sweatpants different than leggings? i prefer sweatpants because at least they are less revealing, and more like actual pants than leggings.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:38 AM) : 

I am glad you cleared that up for everyone!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:43 AM) : 

i say no to sweatpants even before 10am. c'mon peeps, we can do better.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 AM) : 

Never. When GQ does a sweatpants trend page, maybe I'll change my mind.

 

Blogger May Kasahara said ... (10:50 AM) : 

I am anti-sweats always. On other people I think they work sometimes but rarely.

most excellent dog though ♥

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:06 AM) : 

I don't even own sweat pants.
So, you mighr guess my answer

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 AM) : 

Sweats: no, never. That proud and gorgeous dog, on the other hand: always!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:12 AM) : 

Well, I do think it depends on the circumstances. If you are at the gym, then I don't think you would be considered lazy; however, walking around on the street or at work in sweatpants past 10 am, then, yes, I would consider that being lazy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:17 AM) : 

What if the person works nights and their morning walk is at 3pm because they just got up. I suggest thinking about all walks of life before providing comments or criticizms.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 AM) : 

I would tend to think that sweats are OK to wear inside your own house. If you have to go out at all in sweats, it would be maybe to go down to the cellar or do some gardening.

On the other hand, the dog has class for two...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 AM) : 

Hi Sart,

Could you add a "Previous" button at the bottom of the page? It's much more convenient than clicking each of the monthly archives.

Thanks!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 AM) : 

Sart, I wholeheartedly agree with your opening assertion: Being stylish doesn't always mean being dressed up. But I am mildly shocked that you even ask the question does a Sartorialist ever wear sweats after 10am ?!
My response is no sweats on the street ever! no matter if your house is on fire at 3am a true Sartorialist will always find something appropriate and elegant and supremely stylish to wear. Come on, you know that....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:29 AM) : 

I never wear sweats in public unless I'm actually exercising. And even then, I refuse to be seen in misshapen sweats with holes. It's a decent track suit that fits appropriately.

I was always taught to dress "up" at all times because you never know who you are going to run into that could give you your dream job or become your dream spouse or provide wonderful opportunities.

Besides, it doesn't take any longer to put on a decent pair of jeans than a pair of sweat pants.

 

Blogger The Clever Pup said ... (11:32 AM) : 

Nylon is a funny name for a dog!

My dog's called Jersey - I'm serious.

Anyway Jersey or not, I, we, no-one in my family wears sweats - EVER.

 

Blogger VanessasRunway said ... (11:33 AM) : 

Plus having a cute dog is the best accessory!

 

Blogger andrwagts said ... (12:01 PM) : 

the dog looks royal

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:03 PM) : 

You owe it to your dog to dress comfortably in sweats while taking a walk. With a dog this size, you usually end up running. At least I do.

But...you owe it to yourself to take the sweats off before you leave the house. Otherwise you look like winter slush on the side of a curb.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:03 PM) : 

The question is: Why would the Sartorialist ever put the sweats on!?

 

Blogger Karmander said ... (12:11 PM) : 

I see a lot of people saying that putting on jeans is just as easy and comfortable as sweatpants. I have to disagree. It may be a small difference, but sweatpants are stretchier, softer, roomier, warmer and altogether more comfortable than jeans.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (12:18 PM) : 

The words sweat pants and sartorialist do not belong in the same sentence. No. Do your 'business' in them and then, please, get dressed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:24 PM) : 

He's so cute! He can pull it off, especially because they're dark colored. Plus he looks comfortable with himself.

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (12:27 PM) : 

Absolutely -there's a dress-code you just have to follow ...(also out of respect)
I have to dress up EVERY morning, so does my husband and we really color co-ordinate when we go out together...Even on a day off, meeting friends or just going into the city, I always clean up my act...the sweatpants are for cold wintery evenings when I'm not expecting visitors or guests..

Love the Akita Inu dog or is it a bright Shiba inu ?

 

Blogger John-Bryan Hopkins said ... (12:27 PM) : 

I say anywhere you like if the fit is nice looking and not worn or dirty.

Never on a plane. Please, I am so tired of running into people who are wearing what look like pj's.

Keep them at home.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:30 PM) : 

10:35 Leggings can be just as offensive as sweat pants. It is all about context and level of sloppiness. Sloppiness should NEVER leave your home- ever.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (12:30 PM) : 

It depends on the sweats and where you're wearing them and what you pair them with IMO.

I live at the beach in L.A. When it's cool and I've got nothing special on the agenda I'll wear heavy, well made, clean and stylish yoga pants with a tight levi jacket, a nice scarf and a newsboy cap or a little trilby. I'll wear that to the market or for a walk on the beach.... I may even wear it to koo koo roo for a cheap lunch. But wearing that to any place more "upscale" than the market doesn't get my approval.

It's all about what's appropriate.

 

Blogger Rebecca said ... (12:32 PM) : 

I could never pull off the "casual heiress" look. For me, it comes down to a matter of body shape. A super fit, super foxy girl pops in a pair of loose-fitting pants because they emphasize just how lovely her body still looks in sweats. On a curvier, medium (plus) body, sweats in public look sloppy.

I think that the same would apply for an older germ. Layers and smart accessories/shoes make Robert's look perfect for dog-walking, but at 4 PM the sweats would make him look older--and a little lazy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 PM) : 

My M.O. is 'always look your best.' No sweats after 10AM, unless they really bring an outfit together.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:05 PM) : 

I don't think sweats should ever be worn in public, ever. If you're walking your dog, thrown on chords/jeans. How hard is that? How many extra seconds does it take? If you're going to the gym, pack a gym bag, and tote it over your real clothes. If you're happily married and lounging around the house, would a pair of satin pjs, more fitted yoga pants, or cashmere leggings kill you? Certainly not.

Sure, sweatpants are the most comfortable option, but chords aren't that far behind, and they can be dressier than your dressiest jeans if the fit, wale, color is right.

I own 2 pairs of sweatpants, and they are for when I'm sick/desperately cold/sore/unhappy, etc. They are not for everyday wear. Even though I hardly wear them, they are still fitted, straight leg, flattering pants that fit me to a T. Just say no to frump, even in your own house.

 

Blogger green lantern said ... (1:08 PM) : 

Depends on the "sweat pants." Lululemon makes the sweatpants you can wear after 10 a.m.
This guy looks well put together. Your shot is well put together Great to include the dog as a major element of this shot. The strength and whiteness of the dog softens the guys earthy ruggedness.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:16 PM) : 

Only, and I mean only, if you must, wear sweats AT the gym....not to the gym. Nylon running gear a far better choice. I do not own a pair. It is very sloppy look, even if one is at home alone.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:18 PM) : 

no sweats after 10:00 a.m., unless they are structured and hence become simply a knit pant.

its the lack of structure that gives the PJ look, not just the knit fabrication.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:25 PM) : 

I think it depends on the sweats, and the fit. Personally I have a pair of black lululemons that for me are far more flattering than my jeans and I wear them to the park and yes even to the grocery store, but I do dress them up with a pair of black and silver leather urban trekkers and a fitted clean looking top. I never go for the just rolled out of bed look though not even in sweats. I think that is the look that have given sweats a bad name.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:35 PM) : 

I think this question also depends on the place where you are at. Imagine wearing sweat pants in Paris, city center. Even before 10 a.m. that wouldn't make sense.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 PM) : 

no no no, no sweats never ever. I just got back from 6 years in Australia, the land, sorry mates, of the trackies. I just could not get used to it. I am French, I don't go to the gym, i have other activities that don't require sweats (what an ugly word) and make me sweat (for example, i ride my bike). I go to dance classes and i get changed there!!! It's a pain, but it's in my genes.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (2:08 PM) : 

Nothing wrong with sweaters. It's all about your hair and/or behaviour. :P

 

Blogger leslie said ... (2:28 PM) : 

A Sartorialist wears sweats after 10 a.m. when she's got two weeks of law school finals. Sometimes style has to take a back seat to reality, unfortunately :(

 

Blogger Lindalov said ... (2:46 PM) : 

.... depends who is wearing them! hugs from a big sartorialist fan

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:47 PM) : 

pjs during the day is so wrong! ;) but yes we've all fallen victim to having to run out the door early in the morning. once i ran out for a coffee in my tiny slip, some boots and a long coat! i was desperate.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:50 PM) : 

Sweat pants have a function. If you're not doing it, about to do it, coming back from doing it, or thinking about doing it, I say wear pants. Being dark, this gentleman's aren't obvious, but I can't imagine thinking anything positive after discovering that a new acquaintance was, upon closer inspection, wearing sweat pants. There's something deshabille about them that makes them creepy on all but the young and beautiful.

 

Blogger Lapetitefille said ... (3:03 PM) : 

I really like the photos that you takes!! there are so fantastic!!! and the looks !

 

Blogger Kate said ... (3:12 PM) : 

This gentleman looks great. And Sartorialist or not, the rule is no sweats after 10am or outside of the trip to and from the gym. There are exceptions to every rule however. I had to break it recently when my son was very ill and I had to run out for an Rx and hadn't even had my shower for the day yet.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:15 PM) : 

I think the makers of casual or sports clothes could do a better job of making them stylish. Sometimes we have to be out in our exercise clothes. I walk to my yoga class. I walk to pick up my 4-year-old from school, and as she often rides her bike, I have to wear shoes that allow me to run alongside her (last spring, one of my espadrilles flew off as we crossed a street--lesson learned). Today the trek to school was in wind and rain. What to wear and not look as dreadful as the weather?

 

Blogger Ivy Lane said ... (3:19 PM) : 

Totally depends on the sweatpants..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:22 PM) : 

Accesories make the outfit and that dog would dress up any ensamble.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:45 PM) : 

agreed. your friend robert has all kinds of style! great look!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:51 PM) : 

I've just polled my very stylish co-workers and they agree that wearing sweats late in the day is just lazy and uncouth.

 

Blogger TEXTSTYLES said ... (3:59 PM) : 

one of my number 1 sartorial rules is no sweats, under any circumstances.

i may bend the rules for those walking a dog, perhaps... even then it seems sloppy and uncouth.

when you leave your abode you should always present your best. the equation involved in your best, no matter who, does not include sweatpants.

*bisous*

although, case in point has such an endearing smirk

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:08 PM) : 

i lived in italy for 2 years and didn't see ONE person wearing sweatpants at any time of day, ever (except for tourists)! case closed. i'm amazed there is any discussion here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:09 PM) : 

I find if I'm in my sweats after
10am it's because I haven't had time to change my clothes not because I'm lazy!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:10 PM) : 

Guy looks ok

Dog however - beautiful dog!

looks like either a Jindo (Korean dog) or part white shepard mix.

 

Blogger Dami said ... (4:21 PM) : 

That dog is a Korean Jindo for sure. Awesome!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:39 PM) : 

Only if one is feeling under the weather.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:10 PM) : 

sweats are LA-ZY unless there's some kind of circumstance as in you're sick, exercising, exhausted, have no clean pants, etc.

most of the girls at my university wear sports shorts and the BIGGEST t-shirts you've ever seen to class. I understand if you just need a down day, but PLEASE, is it that hard to put on a pair of jeans? I think it's disrespectful to the professors and other students if you looked like you just stumbled out of bed/the gym and don't care enough to look decent.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:17 PM) : 

Firstly, he just looks SO comfortable - you just wanna hug the guy!
Secondly, the DOG is well cute - kinda looks a bit like a dingo.
Thirdly, sweats have there place in the morning and for lounging around AT HOME or going to the gym or walking the very cute dog. Aside from that - N.S.P. - No Sweats in Public!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:22 PM) : 

I think traditional sweats are dreadful on either sex. There has to be a better solution to comfort and for me it's exercise pants that are a step up in fabric and fit.
That issue aside, I like this guy's face a lot; and the dog.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:37 PM) : 

I find this blog to be very fascinating since I'm very inspired by street style. I find it interesting to see what others are wearing rather than to know what's on the runway half of the time. I'm going to add you to my blogroll if that's okay.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:58 PM) : 

Agree with you Sart! Only to and from the gym. I'm in Vancouver Canada (land of stylish gym and yoga wear) but I have to say it really only does look good at the gym, in a class or excercising outside. Beyond those circumstances it just looks lazy and uninspired.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:00 PM) : 

HI,

Years ago I would have answered that the fit of the sweats on the body would have meant everything, just like every other piece of clothing. But I live in Vancouver where Lululemon sweat tights are all the rage and have been for the past few years. Seeing almost every teenage girl and lots of post-teenage girls in Lulu makes you quickly realize that sweats belong at the gym/yoga studio and not as the default outfit for coffee, shopping, walking the dog, work, breakfast lunch and dinner etc. etc. etc.
SOme people call this west coast style but really it is west coast lazy! If you have to wear sweats out I say at least cover them with a generous coat length (i.e. please cover your butt!)

 

Blogger Luuworld said ... (6:02 PM) : 

Sometimes comfort wins over fashion. Can't be a pathetic fashion victim all the time. That's for AFTER 10 am. :)

This guy looks warm, comfy and very happy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:15 PM) : 

I teach university and sloppy sweats are far, far too common -- almost a uniform, showing no personality or individual style. Lazy style at my college has become a form of social and intellectual conformity. I say, make an effort and think about how you present yourself to the world; to me, sweats say "I'm only giving a partial effort at being here, and I wear my laziness as a badge."

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:19 PM) : 

You know, if you live in Canada, sweats seem completely reasonable in the early morning hours. For those of you saying that jeans are just as comfy and easy, you must have jeans that look fantastic over your long johns or leggings, eh? I'm jealous. Sweats before 10 seems like a great compromise.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:55 PM) : 

Sweats are for sweating in a gym or other athetic event. There are so many other things you can wear like jeans, casual pants etc.

and if you live in a cold place you can great jeans that have flannel of fleece lining.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:05 PM) : 

if they're juicy couture, with a good handbag, its standard shopping uniform..hardly lazy. your rio pics inspired me to go to brazil btw(all the way from nigeria)... am in beautiful old town of paraty right this miniute. obrigado..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:20 PM) : 

I would say sweats are never appropriate.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:23 PM) : 

I don't mind the sweats but I don't like his shoes.

I see nothing wrong with walking the dog in sweats, hell the dog's naked and doesn't care, we should channel that. Heading to a 9 am class hungover in sweats and a hoodie? done it plenty, no pride in it but you're not alone if you do.

The more fitted "yoga pant" thing on guys, I dislike. It screams "yuppie spending $10 at starbucks before going to his weekly fitness trend (currently capoeira, I think)".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:04 PM) : 

I never understand any pro-sweatpants arguments. What makes a pair of sweatpants more "easy" or errand-appropriate than a smashing pair of jeans? The fact that the jeans require buttoning and zipping? Is THAT how lazy we have become? I think they're fine as workout gear but I draw the line there.

Leggings are a totally different thing. I don't even see the comparison. First of all, if you are wearing leggings as pants, you are already off on the wrong foot. Leggings function more like ultra-opaque tights to wear with tunics and mini dresses. They are closer to hosiery, not pants.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:47 PM) : 

some of the comments made are surprisingly snobby and judgmental. it's not even ok to wear gym clothes TO THE GYM? I am expected to put on nice clothes to drive to the gym, then change into gym clothes? I apologize if myself or anyone with a busy schedule assault your good taste by wearing exercise clothes in public... but please get real.

personally I think this man looks just fine. he looks like he is walking is dog, not dressed to impress. clothing can be very beautiful, and that's nice, but it is by all means NOT the only part that makes up a person. if someone doesn't to be friends with me because I don't dress to their standards, I don't want to be friends with them anyway. some of these comments smack of classism, too. what about people who can't afford to dress nicely? do you turn up your nose at them because they don't stimulate your visual senses? is someone less of a person for not wanting to spend a lot of time or money on clothing?

There are an awful lot of "please dress a certain way because it pleases me" type of comments here. Yikes. please take a step back and re-examine this attitude! people should dress how it pleases themselves, and if someone feels like 'dressing down' that day, that is their business. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:55 PM) : 

In the words of my mother 'far better to be over dressed than under dressed'. It's a fine line, to which everyone needs to find their own place!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:19 PM) : 

I love bright colored, tight sweatpants, matching hoodies and fancy sneakers on foxy, urban New York/Jersey girls like Debbie Mazar or Marisa Tomei. They look even better paired with high ponytails, large hoop earrings and a little makeup.

Everyone else should steer clear unless you're not concerned with looking stylish. I'd hope most people aren't superficial enough to ALWAYS need to look good. Some days you just want to blend in and be super comfortable.

 

Blogger philipA said ... (9:23 PM) : 

i could absolutely never wear anything so devoid of body conscious fit and design as sweats. Here in seattle everyone thinks its perfectly fine to go around publicly dressed like you rolled out of bed, it just seems so unhappy to me, to wear sweats. I suppose i'd have to be very sad.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:39 PM) : 

i used to live in uk where it's cold and wet most of the time. i used to walk to uni almost everyday (30 mins each way). when its cold i wore straight-cut jeans over cotton leggings, with flats/boots/sneakers over socks. jeans can look good over leggings if they're not too tight. sweats are just for staying at home.
khalista, jakarta.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:56 PM) : 

Sweatpants are the most vile and unflattering item of clothing ever invented; when you wear them you are effectively saying "I have given up". Think how much better this chap would look in a nice pair of worn-in moss-green cords and a pair of chunky-soled walking boots.

 

Blogger Robert Sim said ... (10:19 PM) : 

The Cashmere scarf is the one essential, on any day where there is a chilly breeze, or worse... outright freezing cold air. Oh, to feel the softness of the lovely cashmere on the cheek. I would say "yes" to sweats only in hours when no-one is out. P.S. What a sweet pooch.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 PM) : 

I think that pup is probably the most handsome creature you've ever featured on your site :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 PM) : 

Does anyone know what kind of a dog that is!?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:04 PM) : 

I never wear sweats outside the home unless I'm jogging. I never even wear sneakers unless I'm jogging, doing manual work, or taking a long walk. Exception: I often work at home, sometimes in sweats, and sometimes have to run out to the deli next door for milk. But I feel very naughty when I do it! My mom is European and she brought me up to dress for everything. I am 40 and probably in the last generation to remember getting dressed up in my best clothes to take planes. That makes me sad when I see all the styled by Teletubby people at the airport....IMHOP the only people who can rock gym clothes outside the gym are Tom of Finland style muscle queens, B boys and girls, Adidas clad Rastas and the 45 year old grandmothers in my 'hood. That's about it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:17 PM) : 

Sweatpants are only appropriate when they are fitted/straight and of a dark color. And the person still should look composed.

Sweatpants should be worn only in your house.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:22 AM) : 

6:19 I live in Canada and understand what you're saying, as it can get downright unbearable without something underneath pants, especially when the sun isn't out yet. But I don't find that tights/leggings pose a problem under even a very slim-fitted pant. I wouldn't say that it's as comfortable as wearing sweatpants, but I never find that it's too much of a hassle.

Anyway, sweats after 10 AM is all about how you wear them. I don't own a pair of sweatpants that aren't pajamas, but if sweats don't make you feel lazy, sluggish, etc., then go for it. Some people can command attention (the good kind) no matter what they're wearing...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 AM) : 

the dog looks like jindo-dog. pretty good.

 

Blogger jeanne said ... (2:30 AM) : 

i've never liked the way sweats look...sure, they're warm and great for wearing indoors, but they just look so sloppy! i prefer to wear shorts or other athletic pants to the gym...but that's just my personal taste. i think that people should be able to wear anything they want (be it frumpy or ugly) to the gym and not be criticized.
however, it wouldn't hurt to put on a pair of jeans when going out in public...after all, it requires the sames amount of energy as slipping on a pair of ugly sweats.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:36 AM) : 

I agree with the commenter above who said that designers could do a better job of making sweats look stylish. How about extra stitching at the hemline? Also, sweats are wonderful to wear when you are on your jaunt. For example, we are heading into final project week at school and there is a tendency among the sporty-set to wear their comfy, cozy sweats and a coordinating hoodie, or sweat shirt in order to roll out of bed first thing in the morning and head to the library.

Having said that, I only own one pair of sweats. I would own more if I could find a pair that fit perfectly. But I love the one pair I do have. They are cherry red with white stripes down the sides and they have a slight flair so they look great with ankle boots, or even flats. I like to wear my heavy-weight, black Addidas hoodie with them and underneath, I wear either my "rocker" Ed Hardy t-shirt, or my, one and only American Apparel tank.
Again, not an everyday look, but functional.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:03 AM) : 

i love the dog!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:16 AM) : 

That dog knows how to pose for a photograph... What a gorgeous animal!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:46 AM) : 

i love when you write something about the photo it shows a life behind it.

 

Blogger Susie said ... (6:30 AM) : 

My office is in my home so for me its sweat pants some days and real clothing on others... I do walk my dog in sweats... yes i suppose its just as easy to put on jeans but they are not as comfy as sweats... and its cold here on Cape Cod and my casual jeans all have holes in them.... walking the dog in them, the freezing air blows in.

However I would never wear sweats anywhere but the dog walk.

Susan

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:11 AM) : 

I have this "go to" early morning run around look that includes sweats: Wide leg great fabric sweats, patent leather ballet flats, neat tight fitting cashmere jacket. This guy looks a bit messy to me... He needs to clean it up. However, love the dog.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:27 AM) : 

London teens are wearing sweat pants under extremely tailored Saville Row quality striped shirts. Sure, context and purpose is important, but this clash is cool.

 

Blogger Vera said ... (8:01 AM) : 

either way, your gorgeous photography makes everything appear alright, doable and wearable.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:05 AM) : 

I think the kind of sweatpants with elastication at the bottom of the legs are only really ok at the gym or warming up. The non-gathered kind (like this guy's or my yoga pants) I think look less disreputable.

 

Blogger GoldenLovejoy said ... (9:09 AM) : 

You are called 'The Sartorialist'. Stick with the focus. Tracksuits and trainers are far outside the area covered by term 'sartorial'.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (10:22 AM) : 

Wow, I think alot of the anti-sweats people just haven't seen a well designed pair of sweats.

Like any piece of clothing, design and fit are the most important elements.

have you seen the retro sweats at J. Crew? the design of those are great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 PM) : 

neither leggings nor sweats are pants. just because they cover the bottom of you doesn't mean they should be worn as regular clothing. (see also: clam digging rubber shoe/pants, hospital scrubs, et al.) "at least they're better than leggings" isn't saying much when leggings aren't pants either.

 

Blogger Yarnhog said ... (1:03 PM) : 

Well, my husband and I both wear sweats all day, but we're both Southern California lawyers and work at home, so, you know...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:25 PM) : 

i am not pro sweats.
i think the dog is a siberian husky.
i have 2 huskies myself and they are very beautiful.
here in the midwest, i walk my dogs in flannel lined khakis in the winter, plus a big down coat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:14 PM) : 

I love this look. However, the dog is all,"I haz dignity."

 

Blogger thwany said ... (6:07 PM) : 

i prefer windbreakers or pj pants to sweats.

 

Blogger denney said ... (9:49 PM) : 

i would never, ever, ever wear sweats out if i'm not going to exercise, or if i'm not camping.

it helps that i'm at university in a city. everyone dresses well for class because you shouldn't be able to get away with sweats in a city.

i guess this shows, though, that you can wear sweats well.

 

Blogger Andrea said ... (10:55 PM) : 

I would say it comes down to a question of room- as in, do you have enough room to carry everything you need? If you need the sweats to work out, get grungy, or what have you but don't have the room to pack them and definitely need them after 10am, then sure it's ok. But as your highschool teacher always said, "Don't make a habit of it."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:55 AM) : 

i think sweats on a u.s. college campus are universally acceptable before noon and 24 hours a day during finals week

 

Blogger Anna Ander said ... (9:33 AM) : 

I'd say a true Sartorialist never wear sweats. Not even before 10 am. Where I live, lots of parents dress their children in sweats as well. It's an abomination! Or at least very ugly.

With love from the cold North

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 PM) : 

LOVE THE DOG!

 

Blogger Isabelle Lafleche said ... (10:17 PM) : 

Sweats-Jamais!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 AM) : 

I wouldn't wear regular sweatpants out of the house, but cashmere sweatpants are another story. Mine are cut/fit well enough that I'll wear them on a quick neighborhood errand or to the office on weekends but not for any extended outings, even though I'm sorely tempted to wear them on transoceanic flights. I wear them all winter long, and there is nothing more comfortable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:39 PM) : 

I think fit & condition of the sweats is key. (well, that and living in the sticks where I only have to please myself & husband.)

I buy new sweatpants each winter. If they're crisp and not too slouchy they can look cool as well as cosy and serve very well for outside trousers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:47 PM) : 

God, I hope all you uber-fashionistas are freezing up there in your ivory towers. You need to realize that not everyone has the same life as you...and if you honestly think jeans are as comfy as sweatpants I admire your ability to lie to yourselves. I love fashion and am obsessed with looking perfect -- when I have the time, and when I'm going somewhere where it MATTERS. Not when I'm running to the market a block from my house on a Tuesday night, not when I'm going to spend an evening cuddling on the couch with my boyfriend, and not when it's 8am, -15 degrees, still dark out, and I'm on my way to write a 3-hour pharmaceutics exam and running on two hours of sleep. At these times I will be wearing Free City sweats and Uggs, and guess what? I'll still look better than 95% of the people I see on my walk :) No, I won't still be wearing this stuff after I graduate and am a working professional. But at this stage in my life it works, and frankly anyone who dresses up to go write an exam is either incredibly insecure or mentally unstable.

The most stylish people I know are the ones who are not afraid to relax. What are you hiding if you think you need to look perfect every second of every day? Dressed up does not necessarily mean dressed well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:15 PM) : 

I say it depends on the sweats AND the person wearing them. They can look totally chic any time of day except the obvious (work, dinner, cocktails).

Anyone know what kind of dog that is?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 PM) : 

he knows what he's doing, with the dog, the attire, everything looks gorgeous on him. he's sexy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:09 AM) : 

I have to agree with Georg von Caprivi,sorry :(

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 AM) : 

Wald the dog can be a very glamorous thing. (this dog is also very beautiful too)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

a species of that dog is Jindo-dog. the Korean dog.
it is very smart, clean and brave.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:29 AM) : 

Absolutely love those Y-3's...
Very cool!!!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting