This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Gentlelady & Gentleman Biker, Paris & Milan

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, November 17, 2008

The Gentlelady & Gentleman Biker, Paris & Milan


Comments on "The Gentlelady & Gentleman Biker, Paris & Milan"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Great color palette, nice pose, distinguished features and great shoes. A natural model if you ask me.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:00 AM) : 

I love people going around big cities in bikes. I think they all share a certain attitude, not caring about others think, no fear of noisy cars, kind of old looking like...

I wish they were more popular here in Madrid.

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (10:04 AM) : 

Love the man with his bike. He looks great and I'd love to see him tooling around town. Very dapper biking attire.

 

Blogger TMFA said ... (10:07 AM) : 

That's what I love about Italy, there are so many people that exactly know what fashion is. Particularly tailored fashion is something that you won't easily find perfectly executed in any other countries then Italy and France.

 

Blogger melange muse said ... (10:11 AM) : 

I absolutely love these. The poncho is great and there is just something about vintage bikes that make things that mush cooler!

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (10:17 AM) : 

Love the shots!

 

Blogger Adventure Team said ... (10:36 AM) : 

Thanks you for these, Sart!

 

Blogger norawoah said ... (10:42 AM) : 

oh yes. I love this! Bike chic is the way to be.

 

Blogger Susan B said ... (10:42 AM) : 

The woman really knows what colors work for her. Love the little bit of lumberjack plaid peeking out!

 

Blogger Daughter said ... (10:44 AM) : 

I love her handbag in the first shot! And her jeans. And basically the whole outfit.

 

Blogger dmakeupartist said ... (10:44 AM) : 

i love the poncho. it is so in right now. :p

 

Blogger Mira Vales said ... (10:48 AM) : 

Love seeing well-dressed people and on bicycle. I used to see a lot of pashminas and suits on the bike in Amsterdam and Antwerps. Nice mix of smart and casual. Btw - the word verification is 'jacking';)) - good one.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 AM) : 

I like the balance in the woman's ensemble: warm vs. cool, the warm tones of her boots, pancho, scarf, and shirt as opposed to the stony cool of her pants and bag. Also important is the trade-off between the volume of the top and the skinny jeans. But I don't think she spent a lot of time thinking it all out; she seems so natural.

 

Blogger Nick Bograd said ... (10:51 AM) : 

I love how the bikes match each of their styles. Great biking attire. Nice shot.

 

Blogger Dreamer said ... (11:26 AM) : 

jeje, that´s true!!!????
xoxo

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:32 AM) : 

They look so comfortable and naturally posed in their clothes. Great shots

 

Blogger Hadley Makes said ... (11:33 AM) : 

Oh, do I ever love capes....

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (11:41 AM) : 

I am going to tie these two looks together based on their shoes: hers are obviously good quality and well-worn, and she is not afraid to show them. His are classic suede brogues of good quality as well. The two important things here are the quality of the shoes and the proportions, especially the soles. Yes love the cape and the use of fur in one small detail. Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:03 PM) : 

lovely! :D

 

Blogger TEXTSTYLES said ... (12:18 PM) : 

this woman embodies all my hopes and dreams...

 

Blogger Sally Kate said ... (12:29 PM) : 

capes are so graceful and fluid~ very feminine

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (12:46 PM) : 

You know what? I think I'm gonna make some good-looking-people-on-bikes pictures here in the bike-capitalcity of the world: Amsterdam.

Thanks for the inspiration, Scott.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 PM) : 

The cape is a perfect bicycling garment. Bicycles are definitely a way forward for inner city transport.
Inspiring shots, sart!

 

Blogger Nanó said ... (1:00 PM) : 

Handsome people! You have my dream job. Traveling around photographing stylish men and women... It must be wonderful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 PM) : 

Very Handsome man! His women can be proud.
L.

 

Blogger Charlotte said ... (2:43 PM) : 

I have been wanting a cycling cape for ages, I sewed on the collar last night. This photo inspires me again, I hope to hem mine tonight and wear it on my bike tomorrow.

Mine has reflective fibers woven into the tweed - I hope it will drape as well as hers does.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:44 PM) : 

loooooooooooooove the gentleman. his posture, his outfit, his bike, all of it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:49 PM) : 

I love the gentleman, he is ordinary and cute:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:16 PM) : 

Isn't he afraid that his pants leg will get caught up in the bike chain? Isn't that why bike messengers wear shorts, even in cold weather?
He looks great, and I hope that his suit stays free of grease.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:46 PM) : 

I bicycle must be the ultimate accessory. Just take a look at Les Mistons by Truffaut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGb_r1ThNAs) when the short film opens with Bernadette Lafont riding a bicycle. Beautiful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:57 PM) : 

awww the old man is so cute:]

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:11 PM) : 

..she reminds me of Meryl Streep, like her style so much.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:48 PM) : 

so cute....
love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:52 PM) : 

Wow - I never thought of myself as a cape or poncho person, but this has got me thinking...

She looks great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:17 PM) : 

Where do I get that guy's shoes?

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (5:18 PM) : 

Such lovely pictures, love both the gentleman & the lady...elegant yet practical.

 

Blogger Sarah Peguine (שרה פגין) said ... (5:18 PM) : 

I am a big fan of your bike shots!! and these two persons look so classy. BEAUTIFUL photos.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:31 PM) : 

The lady is wonderful :) She reminds me of Meryl Streep, which is never a bad thing.

 

Blogger Caroline Ferry said ... (5:43 PM) : 

She reminds me of Cate Blanchett, shes so beautiful. The man is fantastic,I love his suede shoes, you couldn't get away with such attire here in rainy London!

 

Blogger Asis Cortes said ... (6:41 PM) : 

is cool

 

Blogger John-Bryan Hopkins said ... (6:43 PM) : 

how wonderful.

I love the bike culture.

Live close live more live right

she is so classic and he is just a charmer

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:34 PM) : 

So effortlessly stylish. Just love the look of confidence with these people. Very at home with their bikes.

 

Blogger Rita said ... (8:57 PM) : 

These shots are so inspiring... I have a thing for bikes... even if I refuse to ride one myself for extreme (and absurd) fear of falling... but I always find myself staring at those who do ride them... It's almost entrancing.

 

Blogger Joanna said ... (9:15 PM) : 

There is something about bikes that is just so chic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 PM) : 

She's wonderfully natural. I always long for more natural women on here, Sart, and she encompasses what I've been wanting...comfortable, effortless, gentle, graceful, feminine, and sophisticated. LOVE her!

 

Blogger Bruno Tiago Pires said ... (10:19 PM) : 

a real gentleman
if i reach is age i want to have is class

 

Blogger MountainSeeker said ... (10:46 PM) : 

Some awesome pics, love them! Keep up the great work!

 

Blogger Starck Mad said ... (11:10 PM) : 

I like the woman in the cape/swing coat type of thing......it's a very flattering look.
And of course the shot is terrific

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:47 PM) : 

Isn't it funny that bicycle shots get such positive feedback on style blogs? I bike everywhere, but for my friends and I, it isn't about looking good: it's about travelling the most fun and greenest way! Looking good is admittedly a welcome side effect...however, I do wonder how many of the people who gush over bicycles being the "ultimate accessory" really see the advantages of riding one?
To the person who wishes bikes were more popular in Madrid: you should start that trend!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 PM) : 

Yes, the clothes are lovely, and it's wonderful that these two forewent their cars -- but WHERE ARE THEIR HELMETS??? I cringe to see unhelmeted cyclists in the city {shudder}...

Also, just out of curiosity, how does one wear beautiful clothes to bike around without feeling sweaty and uncomfortable??

 

Blogger Cassaundra said ... (12:25 AM) : 

dig the cape.

 

Blogger moira said ... (12:56 AM) : 

I want to look like that when I grow up! =) your pictures always make me smile.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:22 AM) : 

Style on a bicyclette.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:59 AM) : 

I like your pfotos.Good luck for the future.Cheers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:41 AM) : 

The pictures sorta remind me of an episode from an English movie.

BTW, I hate the American Apparel add - they are poorly contrast to the sartorialist pictures you posted.

 

Blogger j'taimee said ... (4:57 AM) : 

Who knew that 'green' could be so well tailored?
;-)

 

Blogger jessicadrhp said ... (6:13 AM) : 

personally, i dont really fancy the lady's scarf, its a bit too furry to be around the neck? i nearly mistook it for a stuffed animal, sorry.

 

Blogger Sanna said ... (6:28 AM) : 

Bikes rule! They're ultra efficient and eco-friendly! Cars are boring and seldom beautiful. When you ride a bike you can look proud, classy and suave. Try doing that in a car.

I take my bike everywhere. And it even has a name: "Bonzer" - Haha very fashionable...

;) Bonzer and I: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DbCCTYw1gC8/SQ3MX2ewFuI/AAAAAAAAAmY/LU5yx_ZFUEI/s1600-h/blog+%2834%29.JPG

 

Blogger Jennifer Louise said ... (6:51 AM) : 

I love it!
I love his expression :)

 

Blogger Brightlightwarriornika said ... (7:09 AM) : 

She makes me want to jump on my bike and ride away into never never land.

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (8:03 AM) : 

The cape is just great ! Will put this on my 'must have' list !!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:11 AM) : 

Love the photos! She looks fantastic and him, he is just those kinda- sweet-kinda-wise looking man..:The fact that they both go by bike shows how selfconfident they are...I love their attitude, absolutely...No wonders, we all should use them more...its just a matter of trainning and having showers at the office!

 

Blogger Ava M. said ... (9:00 AM) : 

Fantastic. Wonderful image. A great lesson in style and citizenry.

 

Blogger Alex said ... (11:27 AM) : 

A beautiful lady!!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:27 PM) : 

Madame is splendid. Can you imagine how cool that cape looks flowing along when she is in motion??? Fantastic!

 

Blogger Mohammad said ... (12:44 PM) : 

According few pictures I saw in this blog, senior men in Milan are quite good with dressing up, they know exactly how present themselves.

 

Blogger Charlotte said ... (2:44 PM) : 

TJ: If you look closely at his bike you'll see that there is a chain case, which affords even more protection than a chainguard in covering the chain and protecting his trousers.

I have never seen a bike messenger using a chainguard.

 

Blogger Maryli said ... (3:53 PM) : 

i loved the woman's outfit until i saw the scarf up close. i really don't like it. i love her bag and the skinny jeans/cape combo - perfect for biking in style. but that scarf...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:38 PM) : 

Eclectic, elegant Paris! The woman is perfect, and she knows herself. The scarf is great and prevents the look from being too pedestrian. Pun not intended.

 

Blogger Rich said ... (9:33 PM) : 

how refreshing to see stylish people without that ultimate American accessory: the automobile!

i especially like his shoes with that suit. gives it just the right touch of casual for the bike.

 

Blogger kateemily said ... (6:23 AM) : 

so elegant! also not a huge fan of the scarf (fur-aphobe), but each to their own, and what a great bike!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:53 AM) : 

"Also, just out of curiosity, how does one wear beautiful clothes to bike around without feeling sweaty and uncomfortable??

11:53 PM"

Well, Anonymous 11.53pm, first you buy a step-through upright European-style bike with a chain guard and rubber pedals. Then you can wear skirts, dresses, flares and nice shoes. You ride to enjoy the trip, not to get there fast. You wear light clothes when it's warm, deodorant and perfume. I haven't worked out longer pencil skirts yet but I'll get there. Sorry, Mr Sartorialist, this is off-topic, but I want more riders like me out there and fewer warrior-courier types!

 

Blogger Charlotte said ... (12:16 PM) : 

Anonymous with the pencil skirts -

If one's pencil skirt has a slit and just a bit of stretch one just hikes it up a little (and I do this on a man's frame bike, not step through!) and prepare to show a bit of leg...

The dismount takes a bit of skill, if you tilt the bike a bit (depending on how much shopping you're carrying) you can preserve your modesty. Otherwise just wear pretty underthings. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:24 PM) : 

These shots remind me of seeing people on bicycles last winter in Bologna. People who were dressed beautifully and appropriately for the weather (a mink cape on one 60ish woman!). It made me realize that a bicycle can be a practical form of transportation in certain cities and you don't need to don spandex to do it. I predict we will see more of this in the US when and if the popular bike-lending programs from Europe take off over here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:04 PM) : 

does anybody know what kind of bike he has? it looks like a Urago but i can't be sure.....great picture. I also love your "bike culture" shots that show people living their lives, efficiently and clean, on bicycles. the perfect vehicle for cities.

 

Blogger ali said ... (1:19 AM) : 

is that a watch fob chain hanging from the belt going to his pocket? with a charm of some kind?

I envy the simplicity-- my 92 yr old very dapper Southern gentleman grandfather has excellent suits he's worn now for 40 years.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 AM) : 

He looks like a rather old Dustin Hoffman.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting