This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....6th Ave, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, September 08, 2008

On the Street.....6th Ave, NYC

Comments on "On the Street.....6th Ave, NYC"

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (8:01 AM) : 

Wow- the look is decidedly vintage, I wonder if there is a piece that is brand new. The most significant item is perhaps the suede jacket, I am sure most of us would see it on a rack and have a hard time figuring out how to match it with other things. Even though we can't see the belt, the proportions feel right- the cuffed hems give him a poor-boy feel that is quickly counteracted by the Gucci briefcase, perhaps the one new piece? Good combination, overall. Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:48 AM) : 

Not many men could pull off those jeans but he does brilliantly.His jacket is the perfect length, it's such a lovely colour and the gold watch brings the whole look up to date. Nice.

 

Blogger ziolele said ... (8:55 AM) : 

the bag is probably brand new ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:05 AM) : 

amazing look!! I love the shorter sleeves on the jacket which allow for his shirt sleeves to show.

 

Blogger Trace said ... (9:23 AM) : 

He works well with his silouhette
the flare is exaggerated yet flattering both on the jacket and the jeans

and the juxtaposition is very very clear like Jorge said
I think this is the only way to pull off a Gucci bag with such ostentatious print

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

it takes real skill to make the 70s look cool, and he does it wonderfully.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:37 AM) : 

Agreed, he has a definite style. Love the proportion of the wide-leg jeans. He looks good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 AM) : 

The clothes don't do a lot for me but the picture really feels as though it's telling a story. Good work!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 AM) : 

Rocking the 70's thrift shop style.
I think that he pulls it off.
Is that a watch on his right wrist? It doesn't look like the shirt cuff.

 

Blogger Jazzbuff630 said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Reminds me of myself in 1978 -stylistically and weightwise. I have a similar picture of myself
standing in front of my uncle's 1977 Cadillac Seville.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:15 AM) : 

Vintage leisure suit look... hmm... ummm... well... at least it's not polyester.

 

Blogger Gratistotal said ... (10:21 AM) : 

this is one of your best photos, the light is great, and the look...adorable

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (10:21 AM) : 

"Starsky, where's Hutch?". Too young to have lived through this the first time around, he nevertheless should recognize a bad look when he sees one. Worst details are the painfully ugly shoes and the pants, whose silhouette he does pull off but which look bad close-up. Signature bags I do not understand. Best detail is the cuff which, along with the mobile, at least aren't period.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 AM) : 

I would have thought it would be so wrong, yet its so right. Even though his style and mine are so different, I would trust him to give me style advice in a heartbeat. He seems to "know."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

Ah, Supafly!! OMG, how much do I go for that look!! I love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 AM) : 

This is one of my favorite looks / compositions! Love it!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:08 AM) : 

It's a good look, but I am just amazed how he can wear that jacket in this humidity and heat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 AM) : 

I love the look overall, especially the cut of the jeans and the color and texture of the jacket.

I wish the wrist piece were a little different - a heavy, masculine watch would have won points with me.

 

Blogger Mira Vales said ... (11:25 AM) : 

not at all sure about this look - the jacket's too big, trousers too wide for such skinny guy; not my cup of tea

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 AM) : 

The look may be vintage but the clothes could definitely be brand new.
The jeans look like ´Marja`by Whyred - esigned and sold right now.same goes for the " laptop briefcase"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:14 PM) : 

The silhouette with the strong a-shape of the jacket and pants is very effective. A sign of what's to come.

 

Blogger olen said ... (12:27 PM) : 

rien de speciale

 

Blogger indigo warrior said ... (12:58 PM) : 

That is someone I would stop and look at twice. Very sharp.

 

Blogger Cassaundra said ... (1:09 PM) : 

It's like the bad ass 70's look meets modern New York.

 

Blogger Gypmar said ... (1:17 PM) : 

An inspiringly successful use of vintage. I would never have thought of putting a shirt like that with the jacket, but it totally works. Suits him to a t.

 

Blogger PhilM said ... (1:31 PM) : 

i like his bag, what is it, gucci?

 

Blogger OndrejS said ... (1:46 PM) : 

I love the jacket. Amazing piece. 2 things dont work for me though. First, the bag seems alien to the whole dress and also the color is fighting a bit with the color of the jacket. Second, and this is just my prefference, the waist could be a bit lower. But overall, when the bag is dropped, it is an amazing match.

 

Blogger NorthShore Chicago said ... (2:01 PM) : 

This looks is all about the great proportion of his clothes to one another and his body. This look could easily fail on a less exacting man.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (2:06 PM) : 

NIce, clean, retro soul look. He does it right and has the good taste to spare us the platform shoes. Not a lot of men could pull this off as well as he.

I think the jacket is a woman's and that's why the sleeves are so short. It's definitely unisex. I have all of these pieces (well, not that gucci bag) and have worn them together similarly.

 

Blogger GD1891 said ... (2:16 PM) : 

I'm starting out biased as 70's style really isn't my thing overall but this outfit is just a little too huggy bear for me. Maybe each piece with something else would work better for my eye.

Love the color of the jacket though.

 

Blogger Jana FitzGerald said ... (2:41 PM) : 

I really love this, but I do think the proportinons of the jacket are a bit too long considering the cut of the pants. The sleeves seem a bit too short, maybe some length should be taken away from the hem. But overall, Yes. That Gucci folio doesn't irritate me in the slightest. It's understated, not flashy. I miss Gucci in the 70s.

 

Blogger TWTG said ... (3:12 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:20 PM) : 

too long... jacket too long, trousers too long. i don't like so much.

miki

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:38 PM) : 

this look = two thumbs down!

 

Blogger Josef said ... (5:10 PM) : 

This could be laughable on some, but it looks good on him. That's what style is about. People who master their own style and are comfortable with it look good.

Some people follow trends blindly, others follow rules and dress codes blindly and lecture others about how bad their unconventional taste is, and both of these are victims who fail to understand the concept of true style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:32 PM) : 

I sell and style vintage, and one of the big dramas I have with this era of jacket is convincing guys (and girls) that the shorter 70s sleeve length is a positive.

I love that the shorter sleeve shows off the shirt cuff beneath, and am guessing that this era of jacket was designed that way to complement wild printed 70s shirts with their statement deep cuffs and long collars.... or are we just gradually turning into chimps?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:35 PM) : 

Will always looks amazing!!! I might have to steal that suede coat next time I see him.

 

Blogger ryder said ... (5:40 PM) : 

long, lean, refreshing and modern.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:57 PM) : 

well thought out. not sure i like an outfit that looks well thought out, but you can tell it was. it's put together. i like a little more bohemian edge.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:05 PM) : 

To me, this feels like a very urban 1970's look -- an era I love, partly because it was when African-American men weren't afraid to wear color. He looks amazing, and I really covet that jacket.

 

Blogger Hong said ... (6:58 PM) : 

OK I love how he wears the pants high and still looks good in a long jacket.
But I gotta ask this first for I live in NYC:
It's still humid and hot I sweat walking around the city even in a short sleeves.
So I bet this guy would feel hot no matter if he sweats or not, and do you recommend enduring the heat (or chilliness in winter) to look good?

That is to say, doesn't a real good fashion include being in a harmony with time, place and occasion?

This question also goes to the lady below who wears white dress (which reminds of a toga)in that she's wearing it in rain.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:09 PM) : 

not sure about the jeans, but that jacket rocks!! he looks cool in it. I'm a girl, and I'd love wearing it with a flirty dress.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:27 PM) : 

I can't wait until fashion week is over.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:49 PM) : 

i love the overexposure in this pic -- it's elegant without distracting from the subject.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:57 PM) : 

Looks like my Dad in 1972.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:07 PM) : 

I have the same jacket and i LOVE LOVE LOVE it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:16 PM) : 

Sidibé on the street, beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:58 PM) : 

YES! I love men in flared jeans.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:24 PM) : 

hot daaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnn

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:37 PM) : 

WOW! That jacket is absolute heaven. /and such a great pairing with the wide-leg pants. Retro chic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 PM) : 

don't like that orange outfit on men

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:13 AM) : 

Well, hello 1970...

it's not really my taste, but everything fits so perfectly that I like it! Plus I enjoy a man's higher-waisted trouser.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:00 AM) : 

Excuse me Sart: is there anything special to talk about?

 

Blogger Sade.So.Ripe said ... (4:11 AM) : 

i know him!!! haha such a cool guy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 AM) : 

Everything about the bag tips the entirety into skipping across the traffic...like a big yawn.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:55 AM) : 

@Ali-Breeze: I believe the shorter 70's sleeve length accentuates the flare shape of the jacket and makes the jacket 'lighter' by compensating for the longer torso of the jacket.

 

Blogger "Eddie in the corner" said ... (3:38 PM) : 

< POOF ! > "Where am I ?
What's this little Thing in my right hand - and Why does it say 9/7/2008??"

Seriously cool retro right down to the Gucci bag and gold watch. Good looking guy too

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:17 PM) : 

Unless the photogragh is reversed (or it could just be me), the jacket's snaps seem to be on the wrong side. Is it a woman's coat or made for a Euro-market (or some parallel universe)? His jeans are a nice shade but too long, and he could stand some more substantial shoes. I think the bag is too femme for this guy. He does make a great clothes-hanger though. Makes you wonder what the rest of his closet is like.--HB

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 PM) : 

I love the outfit, but I wish that this gentleman wore a clean-shaven look. He would be much handsomer if he did!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:15 AM) : 

Where can one get flared pants for men? I've been wanting a pair for years.

 

Blogger Super Milk-Chan said ... (9:52 AM) : 

Love that jacket!

 

Blogger John Danner said ... (2:13 PM) : 

Do you have a time machine? Like seriously. hah

 

Blogger n'dada vaz said ... (3:33 PM) : 

THATS MY FRIEND!

WILL THE GREAT!

 

Blogger G K M said ... (5:38 PM) : 

He gets a thumbs up!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:56 PM) : 

for some reason he reminds me of the invisible man by ralph ellison. really fascinating

 

Blogger palbi said ... (12:07 AM) : 

not digging it.

 

Blogger a girl dreaming of a wild, dangerous life tinged with anarchy said ... (1:41 PM) : 

this is a lovely photo with gorgeous light

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 PM) : 

I love his refined, casual street style. He nailed the proportions!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:25 PM) : 

He looks great! Love that retro look. Top marks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:44 PM) : 

he is perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:42 AM) : 

He really looks good and should be given a long term multi million dollar modeling contract. I am his proud mother.

 

Blogger Fash said ... (2:59 AM) : 

we seriously need to bring back wide-legged pants into men's closet.

www.fash-un-able.blogspot.com

 

Blogger brista said ... (2:19 PM) : 

I don't think it looks bad, but the proportions look off to me. He looks a lot shorter than he probably is.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting