This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Left Bank, Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, August 29, 2008

On the Street.....Left Bank, Paris


Notice that both of todays female images are wearing jackets with pushed up sleeves.

I did a post recently about men wearing pushed-up sleeves and the reaction was mixed if not a little more negative.

I wonder if there is a perceived difference between women doing it and men pushing the sleeves?

Comments on "On the Street.....Left Bank, Paris"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 AM) : 

I love the look and her glasses but she should run - not walk - to get herself some better boots. Maybe some lace up ankle boots or Docs

 

Blogger Cathy Phillips said ... (9:50 AM) : 

I love the pushed-up sleeves. It makes the blazer look easy and laid back. I wouldn't have it any other way.

-Cathy
cathyphillipsfashion.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:53 AM) : 

I think it complements the look, however, I have to say I very much prefer this pushed-up sleeves look in gentlemen.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:53 AM) : 

i agree with 'cathy phillips', i think the pushed up sleeve is an stylish and easy way to add some extra cool to an ourfit. & i actually like the boots shes wearing

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 AM) : 

Yes, there is a difference. Men pushing up sleeves of jacktes tend to look pretentious. No ides why.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:05 AM) : 

It makes her look like she just bought the new Def Leppard LP.

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (10:11 AM) : 

In discussing men and pushed up sleeves I said something like "God, please don't let me start doing this", but was actually in favor of it sometimes and not at others, depending on how it worked with a particular look. I think it IS more likely to be effective on a woman. These images are more rolled rather than pushed up in the way a guy might push up his blazer or jacket sleeves but still- maybe there's something a little feminine about the line, or maybe it's that with women, as in these photos, it's more likely to happen with a softer fabric. We're also more accustomed to seeing women in half or three-quarter-length sleeves whereas a man with his jacket sleeves pushed up is obviously doing something not usually, or not often, done. Yes, I say a better bet for women, though it can work for both.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 AM) : 

I love this look. It's so Annie Hall. I'd always intended to watch this movie again and get some of the slouchier, more man-ish elements of Diane Keaton's look down. Funny glasses and all.

 

Blogger New Yorkaise said ... (10:15 AM) : 

such a cool girl.

 

Blogger Jazzbuff630 said ... (10:21 AM) : 

Love the glasses, hate the boots (ugh!).

 

Blogger Jessica Ferri said ... (10:23 AM) : 

oh my goodness, i am in love with this outfit. she looks so chic and yet so comfortable. and i'm GLAD she's wearing flat boots. that comfortable chic is a hard look to pull off. kudos, and i'd like to know where i can get that skirt. immediately.

 

Blogger Observer said ... (10:26 AM) : 

The grey glasses and the fan make the difference. Imagine her without them...

 

Blogger Katy said ... (10:44 AM) : 

I like pushed-up sleeves, in general, here included. I love that she has a fan. So random and so wonderful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:58 AM) : 

Love the look, 80s with chic. i like her pushed up sleeves and agree with dan in richmond on that subject. Lots of people have commented on her boots and i enlarged the picture and could see they are high heeled wedges. I like the concept but not those particular boots, they're a bit clumpy. She needs a sleeker, narrower cut high heeled wedge, or even a 'shoot'?

 

Blogger mgi said ... (11:05 AM) : 

I definitely think there might be a perceived difference between women doing it - and men pushing the sleeves. On the other hand - i'm up for the pushed-up-sleeves-thing. High five.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:12 AM) : 

Love the look, especially the glasses; boots - not so much.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:12 AM) : 

Pushed up sleeves are so much better than..normal sleeves. They stop a blazer from looking too formal and stiff.

I just got a really nicely cut blazer from Topshop Unique of all places. For the money I paid, I'm really impressed with the fit. Anyway...it's made with the sleeves ready-rolled-up!

 

Blogger meredith said ... (11:14 AM) : 

I love the glasses, the smile and the FAN. intriguing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:20 AM) : 

I, as a female, have been wearing pushed up sleeves all my life..
I likes it because it gives a more relax feeling to cloths with more formal cuts.

A "what's up, just chilling" statement. :)

Regardless, LOVE her style and attitude! And the fan! Genius! what a great accessory!

 

Blogger miss sophie said ... (11:42 AM) : 

i always tend to push up the sleeves of whatever jacket/blazer/shirt i wear, so i think it's just an expression of your individual way of 'being' in your clothes. she wears it beautifully, and i love the quirky glasses too!

 

Blogger Olviya said ... (11:53 AM) : 

her effortless style goes wrong, i think.
there is no shape.
the skirt was bad desicion, as for me.

 

Blogger The Domina said ... (11:55 AM) : 

I don't mind a rolled sleeve on a woman or man's shirt, but I don't like the pushed up sleeve and I don't like it in a jacket or blazer.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:55 AM) : 

i love pushed up sleeves on men or women. it's sexy.

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (12:02 PM) : 

I love when a man pushes up his sleeves spontaneously looking for freshness, casualness and confort. It looks so natural and sexy!

And if it works for men, why not for women? After all an arm is an arm... I always end up pushing my sleeves up without noticing or wondering if it'll look good; I just do it because it feels better that way.

Even in the winter, sometimes I find myself pushing my coat sleeves up (when it's sunny and not too cold that is).

This girl is just an exemple of how pushed up sleeves feel confortable and give freedom to the arm's movements so she can get to use her fan more graciously.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 PM) : 

pushed up sleeves seems practical for this time of year and casual with her loose skirt and tee. she looks great.

 

Blogger starbahks said ... (12:11 PM) : 

your blog inspired me to start pushing up my jacket sleeves! And while i love it that I can do it confidently as a woman, it's also pleasantly surprising to see men push boundaries and give their jackets a casual flair.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 PM) : 

I lived through the 80's... I think I'll not do them again.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:16 PM) : 

This is a great look, and I like her pushed up sleeves. I like the pushed up sleeve on men as well; I think it is an easy, spontaneous look. If I said it looked pretentious I think I would be "overthinking" it. The flat boots are also lovely; a more popular or iconic boot would seem too contrived.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:21 PM) : 

Hmm...wats wrong with men wearing their jackets with pushed-up sleeves? If anything, it makes them appear more stylish. Men can be "trendsetters" to! n that's coming from a female. ^_-

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:28 PM) : 

As a woman I always wear pushed up sleeves on my jackets. I don't know why, I just think it looks cooler. She certainly does.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:32 PM) : 

Re: pushed up sleeves: Aren't negative--or especially mixed--reactions what great style is all about? I am starting to see the look in a whole new light again after considering it the preserve of mid-90s Lynyrd Skynyrd.

 

Blogger Lillian said ... (12:36 PM) : 

i always always push up my sleeves. having my sleeves at my wrists positively bugs me! so, obviously, i like this "trend."

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:20 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:21 PM) : 

i'll normally push up my sleeves as well, think it's 'no-hassle' with my sleeves up. i love the push-up sleeves look both for men and women. no idea why anyone would think it looks bad on men. if anything, it just makes the men appear more stylish and exudes casual chic.

 

Blogger Laura said ... (1:46 PM) : 

I agree with Lilly. I always always do that too! No need to bring the 80s back otherwise, but I love that look! It has the feeling of being powerful yet being comfortable with that.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (1:47 PM) : 

It's Miami Vice style.

the difference is...women can get away with it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 PM) : 

Push 'em up, don't push 'em up. Who gives a f*ck?

Really.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:01 PM) : 

definitely always going for the push up sleeves! gives it a much more special feel!

 

Blogger Adam said ... (2:03 PM) : 

I like the pushed up sleeves on the woman in the blue jacket below. However on this woman im not so sure, the proportions of her outfit feel wrong. The long skirt with boots that chop her off and the sleeves could be perceived to do the same I think. Pushed up jacket sleeves on men I am in favor of. I admired all the male examples of such that you have posted Sart. I've done it once myself.

 

Blogger stikla gunita said ... (2:43 PM) : 

love those glasses!

 

Blogger ZEPETIT said ... (3:03 PM) : 

Very smart!

Zepequeña.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:13 PM) : 

I immediately thought of Diane Keaton in Annie Hall, updated. Apparently another reader had the same thought. I like it, she projects confidence and laid-back sexiness.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:18 PM) : 

GREAT SHOT!!!!! I love all the black (oh gosh, that black fan!!) and grey with the touches of subtle color!!

 

Blogger ZANA BAYNE said ... (3:34 PM) : 

there are so many elements to this outfit that go back and forth between dressy and casual. an ankle length skirt...but gray jersey! a decorative fan...with a graphic t-shirt! the flower with the rolled sleeves!

brilliant.

http://garbagedress.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:47 PM) : 

as usual men don't have as much freedom in fashion compared to women. it makes me hate i am born male

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:48 PM) : 

Because women can get away with (almost) anything. Fashion-wise it's always been the case for males - rules are more enforced and have less freedom and flexibility.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:55 PM) : 

I think she looks great, very happy. I'm a woman and I hate when sleeves are around my wrists, I always end up pushing them to 3/4 length. I wear a lot of stiff lines too so pushing up my sleeves loosens the look. Not to mention beautiful wrists and hands are on display!

 

Blogger La Clocharde said ... (5:09 PM) : 

I still don't have an opinion about the sleeves...I don't fancy push up sleeves much (although I don't hate them at all and think that sometimes look pretty good) but I may fancy them tomorrow, so I don't know.
I love love love that she has a fan. I love fans!
And her glasses are great (but her boots aren't).
Anyways, I think she has an inner elegance.

 

Blogger Jessica said ... (5:22 PM) : 

Not to be too persnickity about it, but both these ladies have rolled-up sleeves. The guys, if I recall, had pushed up sleeves. Having tried pushed-up sleeves a bit earlier this summer, it was really annoying and impossible to keep them in place - they kept coming right back down. Which is why I think men's pushed-up sleeves don't work. They look like something you'd have to fuss with repeatedly to keep them there. Frankly, men don't look good in anything that needs too much fussing.

Rolled sleeves however are casual and relaxed and stay put (see your gap ad, or any politician trying to look relaxed). I'm OK with rolled sleeves on anyone.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:11 PM) : 

Pushed up sleeves are so elegant yet casual. I think it works on women or men. The only issue is it can look really bad with a badly cut blazer, I think the cut of the shoulder and the back (i.e the structure of the jacket) is what causes success or failure. I'm also a big fan of the folded up sleeve...especially when the jacket has different coloured lining.

 

Blogger Teena Vallerine said ... (7:36 PM) : 

I do it, when I'm washing up, or changing a nappy, or maybe clearing up sticky things left by children. I don't do it well. They always fall down again.
I can't bear a look that needs constant attention - like flicking your hair all the time. It's like a nervous tick. How do they make them stay there? Clearly it's their sartorial elegance! t.x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:59 PM) : 

I agree, I enjoy the rolled sleeve look.
And the easily placed flower on the lapel, the graphic tee with the casual long skirt, and that smile!
And I actually like the boots with this outfit. It may not be the "best" or most "high fashion" choice, but it's personality - a bit out of place, flat, rugged, and worn in - and that's what makes a person's outfit great!
I love this!

 

Blogger M. said ... (8:36 PM) : 

pushed-up sleeves are comfylike really comfy :)

 

Blogger Cassaundra said ... (8:54 PM) : 

i love her fan and her smile.

 

Blogger ashleigh said ... (9:49 PM) : 

i love her look. entirely. i cannot fault anything although i'm extremely jealous of her and want to :) her smile definately says that she knows she looks amazing.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:58 PM) : 

Very nerdy cool chic. Love the way she's rocking that fan. I can't wait to see all your pics from NY fashion week! - Kathleen from theblackstiletto.blogspot.com

 

Blogger madameshawshank said ... (10:10 PM) : 

as glorious ease with her being...'n the fan..how exquisitely sensible

 

Blogger swilek said ... (10:18 PM) : 

I don't think there is a perceived difference between men and women pushing up the sleeves...think it looks great on both, well depending on who is doing the pushing:)
Love this pic...I think you've captured her joie de vivre! I do agree with some about the boots-not great, but it looks like her skirt would touch the ground so you would only see a wee bit of the boots! But, she can get away with it...love the total look!

 

Blogger mette said ... (12:46 AM) : 

Pushed up sleeves in general look better on women. WHY the fan on this picture. Don´t like her boots either. I don´t think she seems very comfortable herself either in that dress that has to be carried.

 

Blogger Michael Joseph Owens said ... (1:21 AM) : 

I like how the look evokes memories of Diane Keaton as Annie Hall. Overall, however, I think it's a specialized look that requires a lot of consideration. Only a very few people—man or woman—can really pull it off.

 

Blogger MELI. said ... (1:57 AM) : 

what a lovely vibe she's got goin on. loving it.
Nice way of sporting that belt.

 

Blogger ChoeNY said ... (2:27 AM) : 

i like the outfit expect the boots... she should better wear some nice flat sandals. or ankle boots. and pushed up sleeves looks great on men or women.... it gives the whole outfit a cool touch.

 

Blogger pauline said ... (2:38 AM) : 

I always wear my jackets with the sleeves pushed up!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:54 AM) : 

hey sart--

did you know youve been named as one of the ny daily news' 50 MOST POWERFUL people in fashion?

check it out:

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/toplists/fashions_50_most_powerful/fashions_50_most_powerful.html

i dont want to say what number you're in..i'll leave that pleasure to you

 

Blogger Johanne said ... (4:21 AM) : 

I love her outfit! The glasses are great.The flower pin too. About the sleeves,I think, in most cases, it gives a slouchy look.

 

Blogger Erin said ... (4:58 AM) : 

I almost always wear my sleeves pushed up.. out of habit more than anything.. sometimes I find myself pushing my sleeves down again because it's cold, and then two minutes later I've pushed them up again. Generally I find it more comfortable, though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:19 AM) : 

I like men wearing pushed-up sleeves, and i wear my sleeves pushed-up. Oui au Front de Libération des Manches!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:47 AM) : 

Oh she's carrying a fan! How fabulous!!! Personally I feel that the boots are a little too clunky and the skirt length is a bit awkward but these are insignificant details in the complete look. I bet she's great company.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:56 AM) : 

mmmm, I wasn't too impressed by either of the women, especially jean shorts, who looked like she just stripped a Guess Mannequin.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:08 AM) : 

Napoleon Dynamite's long-lost sister, moon boots and all!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:57 AM) : 

I agree that this this look screams absolutely screams Annie Hall. Great movie, great look.

 

Blogger Melissa said ... (10:14 AM) : 

i pull up my sleeves nun conciouslym and it ends up looking like more of a relaxed, style.

 

Blogger Kay said ... (12:18 PM) : 

She looks like she's having fun with her outfit - the glasses and the fan top it all off. Not sure it's personally to my taste but it's a great photo and she really suits her look (:

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 PM) : 

i, like a lot of people here, have always naturally pushed my sleeves up. it's more comforatable for me, and i love how it gives the look a laid back feel, especially with a blazer on both men and women -- it takes all of the fussyness out of it. i also love rolled sleeves on collared shirts, on both sexes, but especially with men. you're automatically cool. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:08 PM) : 

This pushed up/rolled up sleeve looks right with these bigger 80's jackets, i think.
This is a very bold outfit, and I wouldn't have ever thought the parts of it would go together, but she makes it work. Kudos.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:05 PM) : 

wow

 

Blogger Eeli said ... (8:41 PM) : 

The aesthetic seems all well thought out. Androgeny is a killer look and she looks like she's having fun with it.

 

Blogger Honeyspy said ... (9:22 PM) : 

I'm really tall. When I push up my sleeves (which is often) it's usually because they're too short. :x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:08 PM) : 

her clothes are amazing, but close up i don't like any of her accessories except the fan (sorry!) and her hair is.. ratty (? i'm sorry i really can't think of a better word) but i love the way she's holding her skirt and smiling - very cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:58 AM) : 

i love pushed up sleeves. to me it says, "i'm ready for some trouble."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:50 AM) : 

claire said it best, pushed up sleeves...

"stop a blazer from looking too formal and stiff."

exactly.
for both men and women.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:14 AM) : 

It's all in the execution and context - I don't think there is a gender issue to 'sleeves up' at all. This woman makes it work, as do many of the men that have been featured.

As for context: I went 'sleeves up' on a V&R tux I wore the other night, got compliments all evening. However, would I want to see a man in a tux doing the same thing? It would really depend on the man and what else was going on. Can't decide on a general basis - it's deeply individual.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (2:47 AM) : 

I love her smile and her lady-like gate.

As for the clothes, I don't love them. The skirt might be okay, I can't tell. The fan is cute but she's wearing a jacket which suggests it's not really fan weather which means it's a prop and I'm not a big lover of grandiose props without purpose (I find Lagerfeld's fan just stupid and payed out.... unless he's going through menopause in which case I forgive him and say "fan on miss thing")

And the pushed-up sleeve is a big 80's throw-back. I'm not headed in that direction any time soon and I hope it doesn't become a "thing". It just looks sloppy most of the time. I don't think the line is very flattering even on casual clothes -- that said, I did love the gray haired beauty (below) with her rolled up blue shirt. That was the only way I've seen it work.

Of course, this girl here is so adorable it's hard to fault her for anything.... but somehow I managed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:47 AM) : 

Why don't you visit Norway? It's so beautiful and different, but still, they have that elegant european feeling! You really should make a visit to the cities of Oslo, Bergen,Tønsberg and Stavanger! Trondheim and Tromsø are also great! Love, love, love your pictures! Keep up the good work and update as often as possible.

Btw: Any suggestions for some great movies with fashionable clothes?

 

Blogger Susan B said ... (1:56 PM) : 

I'm a sleeve pusher-upper as well. For me it's about comfort rather than any kind of style statement.

I love her look, including the boots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:13 PM) : 

She looklikes so happy... Is that to see you...

 

Blogger Mira Vales said ... (5:09 PM) : 

To me rolled up sleeves mean the following - up for work, up for fun, relaxed, informal and switched on. I don't see why someone should have issues with that. People that actually really have to get some work done would probably agree with me. Perfectly buttoned long sleeves are for posers! Rolled-up sleeves rule!

 

Blogger Chloe said ... (5:24 PM) : 

I love your blog. I just found it online, and I can't wait more. That's so cool that it was in magazines in stuff. My blog is www.glambitionfashion.blogspot.com/
and I just made it. So it is very new. Any advice? Keep this blog up :-)

 

Blogger Yanti and Richard said ... (6:39 PM) : 

I think the flower is a really nice touch that we should see more of but the fan? Looks like an affectation to me, even though a woman can just, just get away with it.

 

Blogger Lady Lala said ... (7:03 PM) : 

i love paris

 

Blogger B. said ... (7:24 PM) : 

Olá!
I read about your website in a portuguese magazine!I really love the idea... it reminds me a painter, Jorge Colombo that draw a people per day in New York!
Sometimes when i'm walking in the street i see people with amazing dresses,with that perfect look, or simply with crazy beautiful acesorizes and i wish o could take a photograph too...
Congratulations!
*
B.
P.s. - Im sorry about my english =S

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:53 PM) : 

I love pushed up sleeves. It gives a great look, and feels good. At least, I like getting long sleeves out of my way sometimes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:33 PM) : 

She's pulling it off. I like how comfortable she looks. And in my opinion, I do love the pushed-up sleeves look for both men and women.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:33 PM) : 

I adore this look, and boo-hoo to all those people that complained about pushed up sleeves. I think it looks good on both sexes. It does make it look laid back like as if you are busy doing something but casually so.

 

Blogger ellastica said ... (3:58 AM) : 

interesting contrasts.
slouchy yet formal. a t-shirt worn with blazer and belted jersey(?) skirt.
bare legs with clunky boots.
neutral palette with pops of color. peach and green w/red in accessories. her sunglasses(!) make the outfit.
disheveled r'n'r hair w/ perfectly blended doll-like make-up.
very spirited and inspiring!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:29 AM) : 

Very dynamic, nice picture!

 

Blogger marichuka said ... (7:17 AM) : 

I can't really imagine myself in an outfit like this but i don't know why I love it on her! haha
Congrats for your work, you are a huge inspiration for thousands of people!
xx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:07 AM) : 

Hi!
I'm portuguese, but I love fashion.
I love seing people with clothes different from everyone! And I really liked this photo, it's FASHION!

CONGRUTILATION!

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (10:13 AM) : 

I love this outfit. I've been torn between those boots though. tall people can definitely get away with it, but not me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:24 PM) : 

perhaps with men, the pushed up sleeves seems off-taste since a jacket is traditional men's wear, hence more subjected to "rules" On a woman, however, no rules need apply--so the sleeves dont present as much of an issue.

On her-with her attitude and handheld air conditioning device, it looks fantastic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 PM) : 

proportion is the reason for females to push up the sleeves of jackets. it will work for men with lean arms.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:15 PM) : 

Although how she is wearing her sleeves was throughly discussed, no one commented on the inspiration for her outfit: the T-shirt. The graphic resembles a flamenco dancer. This woman's pushed/rolled sleeves bare her arms echoing the dancer's; her skirt mimics the dancer's long flowy skirt, and the lapel ornament of flouncy fabric (tulle?) echoes the dancer's flounce. So of course she needs a fan - as that's what the dancer would have. The outfit is playful projecting her personality.

 

Blogger dylan said ... (3:59 PM) : 

i love the pushed up sleeves, when they are rolled up all neatly and chunky. i think its very charming and apply it often with my caridgans.

 

Blogger The-Sophisticats said ... (5:44 PM) : 

For men: only shirts and knitwear are allowed to be worn pushed-up in my opinion. Women can get away with lots more than men. And for both sexes it always depends on the rest of the look (sprezzatura is cool, but be aware not everyone gets away with it!).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:23 PM) : 

A pushed-up sleeve is a pushed-up sleeve, man or woman, and is no way to treat a well-made jacket so don't do it! If you need convincing then I have only two more words for you: Miami Vice.

 

Blogger makenew said ... (6:25 PM) : 

I love her look, it's original.
Like a Gothic-Japanese Katherine Hepburn in the late 60's.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:29 PM) : 

That dingy skirt destroys the outfit for me. Everything else has a nerdy/cool look that suits her well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:34 PM) : 

i'm all for the woman pushing up her sleeves. sometimes the balance of the outfit needs it.

men, like it in some instances for balance or to make a look more casual, but not when wearing a dressy suit.

 

Blogger Celia said ... (9:32 PM) : 

A long skirt with wedge ankle boots! Argh, it thrills and frustrates me the way she pulls it off!

I think we're just used to seeing 3/4 sleeves on women's outerwear. I do love the look of men who roll up their dress shirt sleeves, so why not blazers?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 PM) : 

REALLY GREAT LOOK. LOVE MAXI SKIRTS

 

Blogger V said ... (11:53 PM) : 

The pushed-sleeves look HAS to be about comfort, because that's why I do it - I push my sleeves up when I'm commuting for ease of movement. That said, the fan and the pink blossom on the jacket gives her a je ne sais quoi vibe, and she belts it all up to keep the whole look intact. Difficult to pull-off, but she obviously can!

 

Blogger V said ... (12:08 AM) : 

One more thing: love your GANT ad campaign :) great potraiture!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:23 AM) : 

I hope no one's mentioned this... was too lazy to read all the posts.

Here is the simple reason why rolled-up jackets (especially menswear inspired jackets) look better on women: "mens" clothing shouldn't fit perfectly on a woman, the whole style is dependent on the loose-ness, the "loose" or "laid back" un-feminine chic. Rolling up the sleeves - an indication of a not so perfect/loose fit - is apropos in regard to the irony of the style.
On a man it looks "pretentious" as another commenter put, because, why would a man wear a jacket that doesn't fit? or a jacket in weather that doesn't call for it (another reason why people roll up their sleeves). It reeks of "effort". Style like that is best when it appears effortless.

-another aside- the look would have been better with menswear inspired shoes also...something old school like from the jazz era.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:38 AM) : 

She looks great; the sleeves give us a sneeky shot of her slender figure, and that is why she can do whilst looking feminine.

On the subject of men rolling up sleeves... on shirts (with single cuff); fine. It takes on that, 'down to business' look and can add a sense of purpose.

On a man's jacket, there is simply never a reason to roll or push your sleeve up. If you are too hot, you choice the wrong cloth. If you are about to get busy, remove your jacket.

Rolling your jacket! You'd be walked off the Row, and rightfully so.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:15 AM) : 

men doing it reminds me of army and i hate it!

women doing it looks clumsy but i love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:17 PM) : 

She looks very at home in that ensemble. I don't mind the boots -- the casual jersey skirt is fine with flats or boots. I wouldn't have thought of putting that t-shirt under the jacket, but she's pulled it off well.

 

Blogger dwashington314@gmail.com said ... (10:27 PM) : 

My best friend commented on my profile pic with pushed up sleeves and said it was "age inappropriate".He said it was too "Justin Timberlake". I like it but am now in serious self doubt about the look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:12 AM) : 

I think that this look has a lot to do with 'masculine femininity'...It has that whole allure of a woman in a tux or mens t-shirt, which is why perhaps women have been embracing it.
I don't agree with some of the posts that this look is 'inappropriate' (how so?) or that it is impractical. Rolling or pushing up the sleeves on a blazer has less to do with being hot or busy; there doesn't need to be a reason. Rather, its done for aesthetic purposes. It's a twist on an old classic- and I think it looks great! Of course, not everyone can pull off the jacket with pushed up sleeves, but I think it is a funky way to make an everyday jacket interesting.

 

Blogger Kerrie said ... (7:29 PM) : 

It's funny that there has been a slightly more negative approach to the womens blazers / jackets with sleeves pushed up.... Here in little old New Zealand (do you guys know where that is?? ha ha) my sister and I have been wearing our blazers with the sleeves pushed up for some time now! We love the look (even though we seem to be only people applying it!

Considering most people here are either still wearing clothes they bought in the mid-90's or 'stubbies, swandri's and jandals' it's pleasing to know that we have adopted a fraction of the ever-elegant European style....

 

Blogger coco said ... (2:13 PM) : 

pushed up sleeves are fabulous on anyone, man or woman, gives it's a casual feel that's so nice to look at

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:17 PM) : 

Everything about this oufit (and the gal) is sheer perfection!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:15 AM) : 

I'm a female, and I love wearing pushed up sleeves on shirts and blazers. A tip : I fold the sleeves up once or twice then scrunch, and they stay up all day that way ! This works quite well on cotton blazers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 PM) : 

Its taking a fan that has long since become somewhat obsolete and pairing this small piece of our fashion legacy with a t shirt and a blazer that belong in the now-that makes this girls outfit choice both magical and intelligent.

 

Anonymous hotel in bandung said ... (7:49 AM) : 

I like this blog

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting