This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Black & White, Stockholm

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, August 21, 2008

On the Street.....Black & White, Stockholm

Comments on "On the Street.....Black & White, Stockholm"

 

Blogger mette said ... (8:10 AM) : 

She looks properly dressed for the weather and the place-nice shoes! He should have taken his coat along,now it seems that he is missing it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:13 AM) : 

Great photo, Sart!I've been wearing black and white a lot this summer so i feel very tuned in to this shot. I love her coat and boots and i love his scoop neck sweater with the checkered shirt - an unusual combination especially for a man but it really works with those sneakers.I'm beginning to think I need to go to Stockholm...

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (8:38 AM) : 

I lived in the Netherlands for a very brief period of time, and I found that people there tend to like these garments, heavy on the synthetic side and with bungee cords or drawstrings. While I find them useful for performance apparel, such as sailing and the like, I feel that as everyday fashion they distract from a very basic line. It may be a local thing to prefer too-large items such as the coat and his black sweater, but then a lot of our teenagers do that as well. All my bitching notwithstanding, I like his shoes. Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Blogger Ben Newell said ... (9:10 AM) : 

such strange portions! but they match like salt and pepper.

is he holding imaginary 'Suzuki Training' poles?

beautiful shot- not my style in everyday dress, but very unique!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:10 AM) : 

Nice looking couple...definitely

 

Blogger Modern Craft said ... (9:10 AM) : 

I love Stockholm, and found a lot of individual style when I was there last-- good looking people with a lot of personal expression. I could move there tomorrow.

 

Blogger Fredrik said ... (9:39 AM) : 

Lovely jacket the girl is wearing. Think it's actually from Divided (H&M). Think I need to get one myself. Over all feels like the couple is representing Stockholm well.

 

Blogger Karmander said ... (10:20 AM) : 

What a great shot. They look like quirky artwork...both leaning slightly to the right (my right), His stance facing off camera, and her looking right at it...I can't even break it down because it's so curious and confusing, the choices made...but I like it! It definitely works.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

this is what i think of when i think of swedes... not sure why. as the usual aesthetic is tall, blonde and possibly avant garde...

 

Blogger Vintage Tracy said ... (11:19 AM) : 

I love her look, but I think that the man's running pants or (whatever they are) are a bit much.

 

Blogger S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said ... (11:49 AM) : 

What a fantastic photograph this is.

 

Blogger Melissa said ... (12:03 PM) : 

Love the black on white/white on black!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:11 PM) : 

I'm sad today, Mr. Sartorialist. It's not easy being anonymous.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (12:13 PM) : 

I love how the collar of her jacket matches the proportion and folds of her scarf.

 

Blogger Susan B said ... (12:34 PM) : 

I want to live somewhere that you can dress like that in August! I'm crazy about her white anorak.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 PM) : 

This is a great shot (I especially love his stance and expression), but for me, because the style is not special, it's puzzling to find it featured here. These functional outfits are the same on the east coast of North America and I'm sure anywhere else next to a cold ocean.

 

Blogger CULTURE CREATORS said ... (2:46 PM) : 

Lovely couple they both share the same taste....






xCC

 

Blogger cjdd said ... (3:03 PM) : 

Ew. Her jacket is cute, in a disposable futuristic kind of way, but the rest of it? It looks so sloppy and careless, no matter what else.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 PM) : 

The thing with Stockholm fashion is that to see an individual (or a few), you'd think that everyone is incredibly unique... but then, after living there for a year, you begin to see a brushstroke of uniformity among them all...

The conclusion? A hipster is a hipster is a hipster. Mildly different = grossly the same. Originality is truly a rare thing.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the fellows trousers.

 

Blogger Mira Vales said ... (4:02 PM) : 

You go rarely wrong with b&w. Swedish tend to go pure and minimalistic. I think it might be the right way;)

 

Blogger bomb.ass.ting said ... (4:03 PM) : 

When I think of Swedish people I think of awkward clothing proportions pretty much just like this, a little near future at all times as well. It never seems current.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:09 PM) : 

Someone said earlier that they match like salt & pepper shakers... how true!
To me, they are dressed how I imagine aliens would dress if they came Earth and tried to fit in. Almost, but not quite...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:02 PM) : 

I wonder if anyone else's first reaction was "Seussian" when looking at this photo? From their stances, to the proportions, to his wee mustache... Maybe I'm spending too much time at story hour??

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:31 PM) : 

Is it chilly in Sweden? These all look like Fall photos - nice ones, mind you!

 

Blogger DOUBLE D CHERRY said ... (7:08 PM) : 

I AM JUST LOVING THE FASHION AND LOOKS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF SWEDEN. IT IS SOOO TIGHT! I'M LOVING THIS!!! IT JUST LOOKS SO MINIMAL AND YET IT MAKES A BOLD STATMENT.

 

Blogger lyndaisnow said ... (7:39 PM) : 

I want his shoes!!

 

Blogger Hannah Stephenson said ... (8:01 PM) : 

While I don't love the clothes, I am still drawn to their quirkiness. Love the earlier salt and pepper comment.

And I really like how their gazes are in different directions...they seem sort of futuristic in this natural setting!

www.thestorialist.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:01 PM) : 

nice shoes. other than that not feeling this look..
they look like a cute comic couple though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:13 PM) : 

Love the photo....
The jacket/coat is H & M and I have it in steel grey at a "steal" no less. I get so many compliments when I've worn it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 PM) : 

Omg, Scott. Did you see this? The Catorialist! lol.

http://mrod.wordpress.com/2008/08/21/the-catorialist/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:12 PM) : 

I like the way the little loop at the bottom of her jacket is echoed by the loop pattern on her shoe/boot.

 

Blogger Erin Sonoda said ... (10:16 PM) : 

this is just so cute!

 

Blogger Cambra said ... (11:45 PM) : 

these people are awesome

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (2:54 AM) : 

Yeah, the dude is very Seussian. I love his expression and she's got a lovely face. The picture in general is entertaining, like there's a story of alienation somewhere in there. They look like they're married but instead of having sex they watch a lot of Ingmar Bergman flicks and do a lot of talking about the sex they never have.

I must say, not having been to Stockholm but being the daughter of a Dutch woman and having spent a lot of time in Amsterdam, I have (or HAD) an idea of the aesthetic. But Sart, after seeing these photos what I get is that there's not a lot of "heat" in their style. It's VERY intellectual, "not that there's anything wrong with it". Me likes a smart person.... when I'm in the mood to think.

While I do love Ann Demeulemeester and Junya Watanabe (designers not famous for their sexy styles) the Stockholm look seems to take it to the far reaches of the asexual galaxy.

I'm not looking for cleavage or anything in the D&G realm but dang me.... gimme somethin' to think about. The hint of a body underneath. The suggestion of a breast. A glimpse of a collar bone.

Seeing one person in L.A. rockin' this look is one thing, but a whole city of them would make me hop the next plain to Rio.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:48 AM) : 

Anonymous 3:10:
You are so right. I am half-Swedish, half-American currently living in Sweden. While it's true that in general Swedes have great style, the effect seems somewhat lost, as usually it's all the same two or three different styles. When a trend hits this country, it hits hard. It will explode, and though it may be a great trend, EVERYONE and their mother (literally) will grasp on to it, ultimately creating a pretty boring result: same, same and more of the same. When it comes to fashion and style, Sweden is great. What it's not great for is variety.
This is a country that does not stand behind "tooting your own horn" or standing out. Very few people want to rock the boat. The result is apparent in fashion.
I miss seeing more individuality.

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (5:43 AM) : 

he looks like the an Aki Kaurismaki character.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:47 AM) : 

What ADORABLE couple-- he stands proud, poised for the future and she will be comfortable wherever she goes!
BRAVO, fine Swedes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:44 AM) : 

My gaze goes straight to their big duck feet. NOT a good look. Sorry.

Car in Utah

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:29 PM) : 

someone tell what her shoes are please.

madeline

 

Blogger keepitinthecloset said ... (9:21 PM) : 

lovely.Unexpected proportions and the best thing is they look like they are each other's best accessories. =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:29 PM) : 

does anyone know who makes her boots?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:30 PM) : 

They make a great photo, especially together because of the different ways they combine black and white. However guys just should not wear scoopneck sweaters! Did he borrow it from her? He tried to make it work by wearing a shirt inside, but it's a no-go. A crewneck, vest, turtleneck, or just about any other type of neckline would have looked a lot better.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:18 AM) : 

I would like to have tea with

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 PM) : 

I called it Fashiondental. It is not exactly accidental, it is just a fashion mix match by what you need and what you had, plus you want to feel comfortable. Overall, it looks like those from great big designer style. Fabulous!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:45 PM) : 

I love this guy's stance! You know who he looks like? Roger from 101 Dalmations! (the cartoon)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:53 PM) : 

Her shoes are Lacoste, two years ago. They might still be around in stores though, or around again rather, as they were wildly popular I seem to recall.

Also, great shot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:55 PM) : 

anyone know what that style of neckline his sweater has is called? I really want to start wearing it, its amazing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:44 AM) : 

Great picture, Erik looks great with or with out a coat

Viktor Byhr
viktorbyhr.com

 

Blogger milenkos said ... (11:44 PM) : 

there's something very balanced between the wide neck of the black sweater and the tightened pant cuff. Weird yet pleasing; very cool.

 

Blogger palbi said ... (12:11 AM) : 

faaaaantastic

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:42 AM) : 

Oh, I just love this one.

I disagree with anonymous 1:22 that this is more about an interesting photograph than about fashion. This is the kind of photo that makes me look at fashion differently (brings out the beauty of "weirdness") and want to play around with new shapes and proportions.

Normally these outfits would make me cringe, but with the particular colors here, the light, the postures of the people...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 PM) : 

I think I know the boy. Did he work at IASPIS and WIP:Stockholm?

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting