This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street... Structured Jacket and Shorts, Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

On the Street... Structured Jacket and Shorts, Paris


The other day I posted several guys wearing unconstructed jackets and shorts - I think they all looked great.
A variation on that theme is the idea of a very structured jacket and shorts.
Personally, next Summer i think i will try a more structured jacket like the one above when I am wearing my shorts in Milan (gasp! shorts in Milan!).

This Summer I wore a lot of unconstructed jackets but I find that for my shape an unconstructed jacket is too shapeless and makes me look square. Well, I guess you live and learn.

Comments on "On the Street... Structured Jacket and Shorts, Paris"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:28 AM) : 

Funny how this guy manages to make classic male attire look so effeminate. The only thing missing is a handbag.

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (10:42 AM) : 

now that is a great jacket.
straight out of 1934

 

Blogger Olviya said ... (10:51 AM) : 

shoes! they featuring very good. and small details, like LV organizer making his look complete.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 AM) : 

my visceral reaction is not a positive one. i don't think the formality/informality of each piece works together.

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (10:58 AM) : 

I like the look as an abstract idea; I think this guy gets it right by pairing it with shorts that are a bit dressier in cut and fabric. Now, I did say abstract, so let me be practical and say that I think the jacket does not go with the sweater we see here- I always thought a shirt collar was to protect the jacket lapels and neck from direct skin contact- unless there is no sweat and no skin oils whatsoever, this guy is going to be dry-cleaning his jacket a lot! Other than that, I like everything he is wearing and how he put it together. Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (11:03 AM) : 

For better or worse this is a feminizing look, mainly because of the sweater which shows so much skin right against the neck and lapels of the jacket, and because of the shoes and glasses, and his frame. I don't think it's exactly the one you should go for. He doesn't quite have the legs for it, either. Another beautiful jacket though.

 

Blogger stylePOVist said ... (11:08 AM) : 

The jacket looks like a Tom Ford creation, or vintage Tom Ford Gucci maybe.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:13 AM) : 

I like what you're saying, Sart but i think it will be tricky to pull off but if you can do so would look really cool. For me, this outfit isn't working. Although i love the jacket with the thin T, I think the shorts are too tight and too short, and the shoes look like evening slippers.There's a rule for women along the lines of you show either shoulders/cleavage or legs - not both. Maybe it should apply to men and shorts too?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:27 AM) : 

To each his own. For me, the LV addition just takes the whole look over the top.

I think if he had lost the LV organizer and had on a pair of low key Persol shades, I would have found a lot to admire. Instead, as is sometimes the case here, I just don't get it.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:28 AM) : 

i think you guys are making very valid points but this is a great example of liking a "concept"

I think my execution would be very different but the concept is very inspiring.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:30 AM) : 

Sart,

I'm really not a big fan of the dressy short look for men. I see the appeal (options for guys can be somewhat limited) but I prefer it when men deal with the weather by wearing lighter fabrics.

I really love that you shared why the unconstructed jacket wasn't working for you. I think we all have those "IT" summer garments that we thought were going to be able wear only to find out that somehow the trend doesn't work on our bodies. For me it was full skirts - I too looked like a square shape (and 10 pounds heavier) - live and learn.

D.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:31 AM) : 

Maybe with a nice small scarf around the neck like yesterday's man this would work better for me. He needs some coverage up there with that look.

 

Blogger joshylola said ... (11:42 AM) : 

Funny :-) too much modern to me maybe

 

Blogger ricola said ... (12:08 PM) : 

Everything sold separately would be great. Great legs, nice shorts, Friggin' Fantastic Jacket & Sweater. NOt so crazy for the LV though. I am a fan of the new male cleavage, however the person above was right to say legs or cleavage. Somehow it works the three button undone button down though...go figure.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:23 PM) : 

i think this is great. very interesting mix/match. i would the LV organizer though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:24 PM) : 

I really do like that jacket.

 

Blogger O!Lightning said ... (12:25 PM) : 

basic look : yes, the shoes are too formal however. "Street" type shoes would have brought the randomness to new hights, referenced his glasses,and thus made his look come together.

 

Blogger J.P. said ... (12:29 PM) : 

Sart- I agree that in "concept" I really like this guy's look. The shorts with the unconstructed jacket and the albert slippers-- it's a cool look. This particular guy looks a little effiminate for some reason, which I am not a fan of.

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (12:42 PM) : 

Yes, I understand the inspiration in the concept. I like both the structured and unstructured looks you've shown. My gut feeling is that I'd prefer the structured look on me but might end up being more comfortable or wearing more often the unstructured. I haven't put my jacket/shorts combo together yet because I just don't have a nice summer jacket(!), so I have to make the choice soon. Of course I can have both eventually, but initially it'll be a choice. I'm not sure yet how I'll go.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:51 PM) : 

i like this look.
although i can agree there is something feminine about it, i think its coming from the glasses thou. they are almost cat-eye ish. i think if he were to sub out a nice pair af aviators it would change the entire look.

i agree this will be included in my list of looks for next summer, hell this summer too - its not over.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:00 PM) : 

I think that his legs look good.
The plaid jacket (prince of wales?) works really nicely with the navy shorts. And, the way the plaid stripes match up on the jacket lapels is brilliant! The patch pockets with pleats to allow the pockets to expand are great. I'm guessing that this is a high-end jacket.
The sunglasses look good on him.
But, 5 buttons on the jacket sleeves? That's overkill.
I think he'd have more freedom of movement if the jacket was just a bit looser. It looks to me like if he took a deep breath, the jacket would pull at the chest.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 PM) : 

Is that Stephen Gan!?! I love the outfit! The blazer is great (adore those pockets!) and the suede driving shoes are so classic. The shorts just pull the whole look together. This man looks fabulous and very diva!

 

Blogger Ryan said ... (3:21 PM) : 

I prefer a structured jacket like the one shown. Thats a really great jacket the fit is just perfection!

 

Blogger Wilhelmina Hernández said ... (4:30 PM) : 

So I guess we're agreed that male formal shorts are to be done with loafers.

Ahh I wish (as a female) I was tall enough to do them with a flat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:37 PM) : 

he has my ysl shoes....
bravo.
oloss

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:38 PM) : 

I think the world is still not ready for that much male leg.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:29 PM) : 

I go on with few persons, he is a little bit over the top, but that's it !!! I love it (I will own every piece). How many people on the streets can you see dressed like that and you can say "wow, impressive." And you will remember him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:48 PM) : 

I love it, great concept, great execution! Beautiful jacket and fresh colours. I think he means to look a little effeminate and he really works it. Louis W I agree that aviators and loosing the LV would make it more masculine. His shorts are the perfect length to show off his great legs. Sart you'll look brilliant working this in your own style!

 

Blogger Kenny Cho said ... (12:10 AM) : 

It's unfortunate that wearing that would be scoffed and laughed out in my city.

 

Blogger pepastyling said ... (12:16 AM) : 

Well, shorts aren't for everyone is about proportion and good legs. This man's torso is too long and his outfit choice makes it too evident, maybe if he had only one color underneath the jacket.. he definitely needs to apply the "less is more" philosophy.

 

Blogger kittenmasks said ... (12:52 AM) : 

I love this look. I love him. Does anyone know who he is? He makes Louis Vuitton monogram less hideous and disgusting for me. Any man who can do that deserves lollipops.

 

Blogger InStudio Blog said ... (8:58 AM) : 

I'm not diggin' this ensemble. A little too tailored/fitted/feminine for my taste.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:06 AM) : 

I like it in theory. His look is somewhat feminine, but I think it is more the guy than the look?! He could look girly in a work shirt and jeans!

That said, I like the concept and agree that a tailored jacket looks better, to me. I think we may have the same shape! I feel sloppy and shapeless in an unconstructed jacket, with most bottoms.

Now, how old is too old to do the shorts and jacket thing? I'm 6ft, 180, work out... but 45?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

I agree that a neckerchief would finish the look and the jacket looks a bit snug. Now that I am done nitpicking I can say I really like this look! Not all gents could make this work, but he does.

~ Miss Mary

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:54 PM) : 

One of my favorite. In the rush of the morning sometimes you only have time to throw on whatever gets you to your appointment on time! Realizing he was a bit too casual, he threw on a jacket. When you fill your wardrobe with quality pieces you look put togehter without any effort.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:11 PM) : 

Being a shorter and with an atheletic build I find that structured jackets and shorts is a great summer look and I tend to avoid unstructured jackets as they tend to make me look fat not muscular.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:23 PM) : 

"Too much male leg"? Au contraire. A man with great legs such as those should show them off. Shorts just above the knee are still appropriate and eye-catching.

 

Blogger erin de la cruz said ... (12:58 AM) : 

I am actually loving the guy's style. =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:21 AM) : 

i love this look.
he definitely pulls it off well.
he makes you want to know him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:48 PM) : 

We see the world as we are.

I'm reading many comments above and thinking,"some of you are missing the point".Its not whether you'd look great in this.Its whether the look works on the encumbent.

I for one think,it suits him.Would it suit me.Not all.
1.The jacket is fantastic.
2.The shorts are a great cut.
I'm guessing this one will be affected by your current geographical location/personal taste.I'm certain you can pull this off in most of Europe but would look like a nah,nah in most of US.
3.The look is metro.It takes self confidence to pull this off.
Most people I know,rely on the clothes to feel better,instead of feeling great first.In that way the clothes are just an accessory.

Did I mention,how hot this look is.

 

Blogger milenkos said ... (9:34 PM) : 

The overall look is fitted and dashing, but to me, it feels a little affected. The Vuitton man-purse is the culprit

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 PM) : 

hmm, i think he's made his legs look a bit effeminate. I suppose if that was what he was aiming for, then this look works a treat. Maybe it looks different completely front-on...but i guess this is just not one for me. Though i believe i do like his jacket.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:00 PM) : 

Jerry D., I think you could pull it off.

 

Blogger Jazzbuff630 said ... (3:48 PM) : 

If I see this guy at a bar, I'm going to buy him a cherry frappe
or a sidecar...something "sweet" to go with his look.

 

Blogger Michael said ... (5:38 PM) : 

Gotta love the blazer + shorts combo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 PM) : 

Quite liked the look! I would only wear knee-high trousers, I find these a bit too short for the concept.

 

Blogger Tazeen said ... (4:14 AM) : 

structured jacket never looked this effeminate

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:39 PM) : 

I think he's rocking it. i like it.

 

Blogger Yanti and Richard said ... (9:49 PM) : 

To get away with this look he totally has the wrong body. You need to be much skinnier and kinda arty/weedy: instead the dude has Olympic legs and looks like he's talking serious business on the phone. Long sleeves and a plunging neckline under that jacket? Wince.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:37 PM) : 

I like the idea of the structured jacket, but the fact that it hits so high up on his torso does make it look feminine. If it tucked in at his belly button instead, I think it would be a less feminine look. Also, the big pockets and the big lapel don't help either.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:31 AM) : 

i think he looks splendid here! love that combi- structured jacket+tailored shorts. i think the LV organiser subtly complements his outfit. nice!

 

Blogger Gypsynan said ... (3:19 PM) : 

I am a total hick I know, but is it also a requirement that the gentlemen wax their legs? Or is this look only for the naturally hairless?

 

Blogger nidyawiguno said ... (5:16 AM) : 

i like this style. so simply stylish!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:50 AM) : 

love this simple style. very nice combinations !

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting