This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...The Impact of Mens Accessories, part 2

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, July 25, 2008

On the Street...The Impact of Mens Accessories, part 2

Comments on "On the Street...The Impact of Mens Accessories, part 2"

 

Blogger dominicandandy said ... (10:14 AM) : 

Now those are some cool sandals. I'd love to find a pair like that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:16 AM) : 

Oh God, I love it (except I might change the watch).

Loving the menswear shots.

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (10:16 AM) : 

I think there is a very distinct line between accessorizing and decorating yourself, and this gentleman crosses it with the belt. There are endless choices for belts and other accessories that do not contain unnecessary embellishments. Menswear should be, IMO, simple; luxury should come from the material and the construction of the garments. It is a shame in this instance because everything else fits just-so: from the sunglasses to the sandals. It is the belt I dislike. Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:38 AM) : 

From above the belt and below the ankle I love it. Belt to below the knee? Awful. Pants are too short or they're entirely the wrong cut for him, I can't tell which is the fault. Actually, they look like women's pants in that they don't seem cut for a man.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 AM) : 

With his confidence and his huge watch, this man pulls off an otherwise feminine look. Very risky but very well done.

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (10:54 AM) : 

I totally agree with jorge from w palm beach only that I am not really a fan of those sandals...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 AM) : 

this man really is a great example of the power of accessories. his clothing is relatively simple, and the details are interesting enough to give him a second look.
i wish more american men weren't so fearful of showing this sort of creativity in dress!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM) : 

belt without the coins would have done a better job.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:15 AM) : 

I think in general the look is amazing minus the belt. For me it is just a little out of place and I am not really sure you can pull that off with that kind of outfit. I love the fit of the shirt and the sandals are a great look.

 

Blogger Tereneh Idia said ... (11:18 AM) : 

Love! Love! Love! This is wonderful. Thank goodness this man knows how to break through the chains and limits of menswear. Awesome. Wonderful. I hope to see more like him.

 

Blogger Landis said ... (11:21 AM) : 

don't get me wrong, love the belt,
but i wonder if he gets good tips when he performs . . .

 

Blogger Melissa W said ... (11:24 AM) : 

I'm not feeling good about the jingle belt. However the shades and watch are excellent.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:27 AM) : 

Cat's Eyes and Capris on a man? For me it works, i love the belt too. I had to blow the picture up to really appreciate all the details like his pin-tucked shirt that works with the belt. Those great sandals add solidity. The only thing i don't like is his over-size watch, it seems out of place with the finer elements. As always, Sart, your powers of observation are unparalleled. Thanks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 AM) : 

he looks like a woman. i had to open up the window to see that he wasn't. i am all in favor from borrowing from gender specific styles but the whole thing is not attractive. those are cat-eye shaped sunglasses! the point of the borrowing the idea is to take from them the highlights and tailor it to the male/female that is wearing the piece. not to just wear womens clothes or mens clothes- these are shapes that are female specific and are unflattering on him...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:49 AM) : 

reminds me of the film, The Boys in the Band when one of the characters does a riff on his friends medicine cabinet. "Men's cologne, men's hairspray, men's facial firming cream, men's tweezers," oh my god dear just get a dress.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:05 PM) : 

It looks like he is wearing woman's clothing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:21 PM) : 

Creative belly dancer.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:38 PM) : 

he looks ridiculous. im sorry, but a man who wears a slinkly belt crosses the line.

 

Blogger Keisha Kornbread said ... (1:19 PM) : 

I love the look.

I would expect most americans to not like this look. Especially the pants and the belt, but in Europe men wearing these capris are common. Everyone has a pair of shorts that hit below the knee and cut pretty close.

But anyways, I love it. THe belt too!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 PM) : 

I'm not a huge fan of the belt's design, but i do like the colours on it. Considering he is standing in front of an azealea tree, which hints a a hot climate, the look passes in my books...perhaps only because I am assuming he has an attitude to pull this off.

I think a interestingly striped, coloured leather or woven belt would be a little less feminine, but i admire his attempt at trying something new.

 

Blogger M. said ... (1:35 PM) : 

i generally don't read any of the comments that have to do with middle-aged menswear but these new posts about the impact of mens accesories have me taking in every word i can. i never thought of mens fashion being very interesting once the man reached a certain age (all suits and loafers) but these men prove me wrong!

 

Blogger J.P. said ... (1:38 PM) : 

No no no no no no no no NO! Sorry. The last shot was totally awesome. The bearded gentlemen looked interesting while still appearing manly and stylish. This guy looks ridiculous.

He is dressed like a woman. I like pastels probably more than the next guy, but this man looks like he is wearing women's capris, a women's blouse and that belt looks silly and so overly foppish that I cannot rightly call it stylish. The last one was a home run, but this is a foul ball.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 PM) : 

Actually, his whole outfit makes a lot of sense if you look at it through a different lens. His belt is very much reminiscent of the textiles of the hill tribes of Northern Thailand - its intricate embroidery with quilting and stamped metal "coins" or embellishment. The dark indigo blue shirt is very Thai as well. Just looking at it from my Southeast Asian perspective.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:11 PM) : 

Adore the belt, but not with the rest of the outfit. If I were to wear such a fun, standout belt, I would nix the capris. They distort the beauty of the belt, which would look much, much better paired with regular length trousers.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (2:19 PM) : 

I would wear that belt, but I wouldn't want to see my husband in it!

 

Blogger daltonmc said ... (2:29 PM) : 

"Thank goodness this man knows how to break through the chains and limits of menswear. Awesome."

By breaking through the limits of menswear, do you mean, transferring over into the limits of Women's clothing?

Now, do get me wrong, I get the whole, "Hey, are those girl's jeans," thing all the time, but, I do believe, capri's with that belt is beyond what Menswear has always been about.

--d.mc.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:30 PM) : 

Darlin'. This has crossed the line from men's accessories to cross-dressing. He looks great, but this is hardly men's accessories.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:09 PM) : 

I don't like this. NOT. AT. ALL.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:13 PM) : 

Ok, I agree that part one was an amazing look (sans big froey hair/beard)...but part two is horrible! The greasy hair, the alien sunglasses, the belly-dancer belt and man-capris! I'm sorry, but in any gentleman's style book, these should be the ingredients for a total flop. On the plus side, I love the tuxedo-pleat detailing on the shirt and I don't hate the sandals--though they would go much better with shorts.

 

Blogger Filomena said ... (3:55 PM) : 

Love the sandals but I don't like the belt, too girlie I think.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:57 PM) : 

I am all for the belt, and a huge fan of big watches, but two details of this man's outfit confuse me: the shirt, which reminds me of those summer items with straight bottoms that men wear in order to avoid tucking the shirt in; and the Capris, which seem too short on him. I like the idea of Capris for men, but to my taste they are most successful when the man has gorgeous calves and wears a delicate shoe and perhaps an anklet.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:15 PM) : 

I LOVE the sandals and need a pair in my life! Who makes them?!

 

Blogger Hasan said ... (4:22 PM) : 

The sunglasses and watch ruin it for me. Everything else I'll accept out of reverence for his boldness.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:37 PM) : 

I love this--it would be so much nicer though if he was smiling!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:45 PM) : 

I adore capris on a man, but I guess - having seen this - that what I adore are seeing mens' capris on a man.

Sorry, but I can't believe it's just the Americans who don't like or don't "get" this look. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that every once in a while we'll see a photo of someone who just is not well dressed, despite how fun, cool, limit-pushing, etc. each individual piece may be. Love the sandals, love the watch, even the shirt is pretty good. But he's not, overall, well dressed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:17 PM) : 

nonono, the belt is just not good. you just wait for him to pull out the tambourine, hop and sing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:17 PM) : 

i think its the bell&ross on his wrist

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:31 PM) : 

imagine walking with him jangling his little belt through a town. how annoying

 

Blogger Allison said ... (5:56 PM) : 

personally, i think his top is more feminine than the belt. the belt adds a splash of the color, where as the bib-top is just too fem.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:59 PM) : 

i loooooove love love the belt.dude is working the man 'pris.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:05 PM) : 

Wow, Sart what happened here?

I usually like looking at your pics for inspiring street looks but this one is somebody who I would consider a fashion victim.

Mampris + gipsy belts are never good on any men...maybe on editorial or a runaway but not in real life.

The sandals could look great on the right guy, maybe mixed with a simpler outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:58 PM) : 

Not loving the belt at all. But I admire his confidence in wearing this.

 

Blogger Alex said ... (8:37 PM) : 

Anybody know where I can pick up this fellow's sandals?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:45 PM) : 

superb...fit of pants is clean...sandals are sexy and belt shows confidence. Not androgynous at all in my opinion

 

Blogger pulverizeportable said ... (10:32 PM) : 

This man may be a fashion victim, but atleast he's not a gender victim. I really love the belt. It's the rest of the outfit I don't love... mainly the proportions. I feel like he could really rock the belt if it were worn a little differently.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 AM) : 

I must admit that I don't really get the "he looks like a woman" comments. The basic look (sandals, capris, short-sleeved shirt) is very common in Europe during the summer. Seriously, it's as common as jeans and a t-shirt. Obviously, this fellow tried something different with the belt and IMO it doesn't really work, but saying he looks like a woman is just silly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:53 AM) : 

I disagree with Jorge From W Palm Beach (near the top of this list of comments). Why not embellish? Why not decorate? This guy pulls it off with such elan and panache, it's a delicious visual pop. Bravo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:11 AM) : 

There's a lot of folks grousing about this look. I have to disagree. I think it's very cool and totally unique and actually very intelligent in regards to how it's put together and the underlying themes.


There's a lot going on here that is super interesting and playing around with different fashion trends. Some commentators complain the pants are to much like female capri pants. I don't think so. It's actually pushing the trend of ankle baring pants on men up even higher. I suppose another way to look at is lengthening well made "dressy" shorts. Interesting.

And the belt is such a visually arresting accent. Combine that with the tuxedo shirt (that is short sleeved!) and an oversized watch which is very masculine in an almost intentionally overdone way, and, well, you have a form of playful fashion intelligence that you just don't often see on men.

Wonderful!

Thank you for sharing this, Sart!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:39 AM) : 

what a great pair of pants. the belt may not work for everybody though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:39 AM) : 

i agree. from far away, i seriously thought it was a woman.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:15 AM) : 

O-P-U-L-E-N-C-E
I love the belt, its speaks of confidence, bohemia, daring midnight adventures and the dream of endless summer
dressing for the romance of it

 

Blogger Toronto_style said ... (10:54 AM) : 

I think the guy has ovwerdone the look. he may have been able to get away with one of the blouse,, the belt or the capris, but not all 3 together. Plus the fact that he has a slim build only adds to the feminising effect

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:08 AM) : 

Love it! This is a bold look, and he wears it well. I am so pleased when people are not ruled by retrograde gender confines.

I think the first man I saw a man wearing a belly dance style hip belt was Eugene Hutz of Gogol Bordello fame. Perhaps this is a bit of his lighthearted influence bubbling up in the culture?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:51 AM) : 

I remain absolutely convinced that the community of commenters on this blog is perhaps the uniformly predictible, boring, conservative, and far more traditional that any member would freely admit -- best evidenced by the public reaction with ANY posted menswear look that has the AUDACITY to venture even slightly off the more traditional plank.

This blog is far far more entertaining when I hide myself from viewing the mostly absurd comments.

 

Blogger Sunglasses Guy said ... (12:33 PM) : 

Someone please tell me where I can get a pair of 3/4's like that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:44 PM) : 

Well done the Indian belt!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:41 PM) : 

what sparrow said re american men

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:12 PM) : 

Like looking at a museum painting...had to open my mind & reserve judgement...Hmm, could he have a throwing knife tucked into the back of that gypsy belt? Or is this a matador on a break? A thought provoking image. But, the posture. What do the rounded forward shoulders and concave chest say?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 AM) : 

i'm all about gender-bending, but this is just tacky. i love your taste, so i wish you would explain your reasoning here! it would be helpful to see this outfit through your eyes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:42 AM) : 

Love the whole look..I want to get a belt like that. That said I don't think he loooks feminine, just kinda exotic.

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (11:24 AM) : 

For once I do disagree with Jorge (to whom I apologize for mis-spelling his name the other day). Actually I agree with his concept of "luxury" but this belt can be approved outside of those parameters, as a colorful and fun item he likes and chose to wear, for instance. As far as its' working with the outfit, it does precisely because the rest of the look is simple and subdued in color and silhouette.

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (11:32 AM) : 

P.S He is consciously calling attention to himself with that belt. That must have been his intention. That's okay too.

 

Blogger Zana Fauzi said ... (1:15 AM) : 

Not sure about the jingle belt, but love the relaxed of the rest of his outfit.

 

Blogger Observer said ... (6:05 AM) : 

The line between sublime and ridiculous is soooooooo thin...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:26 AM) : 

i am very, very fashion forward but capri pants dont even work on women and that belt... no.

 

Blogger xox said ... (2:46 PM) : 

the sandals may be jutta neumann, although i don't see that exact style on her site. her sandals are amazing, though.

 

Blogger ~chetna~ said ... (2:15 AM) : 

i'd have liked to see the pants a bit more capri-length, or even skimming the ankle, better..also not a big fan of those sandals..they look a bit insubstantial for the rest of the outfit..i do, however, love the belt..colours..coins..mmm..

 

Blogger LaLa said ... (2:51 PM) : 

If it weren't for the belt he'd get an A+.

 

Blogger Linda said ... (6:01 PM) : 

This look is very unisex. Don't you think?

 

Blogger yibram palacios said ... (10:26 PM) : 

GUCCI belt...it's nice ivent when i have to say I'm not very into the "boho" look, but iLike... about the rest of the outfit: nothing new(!)

 

Blogger Tai Vati said ... (5:09 PM) : 

I think the belt made this guy's otfit cool. I would stroll the streets of Bangkok with that belt on.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:02 AM) : 

At least a man who doesn't dress in a preppy-macho style. The belt is weird. So what?
Cool and stylish guy.

 

Blogger emc2 said ... (5:41 PM) : 

I don't like the belt. At all. Speaking of accessories: male fashion, even more so than women's fashion, is a lot about minimalism. You can accessorize only when you've left open spots for elements. Otherwise your accessories turn into excessories.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting