This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Color Wow, Florence

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

On the Street....Color Wow, Florence



Sorry I have been slow posting the last few days but I have arrived in Florence and should be back on a regular schedule starting today. (even though I am just finishing work and posting at 3am)



I mean wow!

Purple stripes, Brown polka dots, blue herringbones, and red-trimmed linen - doesn't sound like a combination that could ever look this good or this subtle.

Comments on "On the Street....Color Wow, Florence"

 

Blogger matt williams said ... (9:13 PM) : 

I love the color of his jacket,it really pops. It's a very vivid shade of blue. With the exception of NYC, most American men shy way from this type of "wow" colored clothes. Too bad for them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 PM) : 

Subtle as a freight train. If this was on the same man in Miami you would be nauseated.

please...

 

Blogger Patrick Booth said ... (9:57 PM) : 

Kind of reminds me of the floor traders at the NYSE.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 PM) : 

That jacket is the color of unstructured smocks worn by old-fashioned shop assistants.

 

Blogger Engey said ... (10:40 PM) : 

Brilliant execution. J'aime.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 PM) : 

Love LOVe love the jacket (as lame as that may sound). And I live in NC and defintely would wear this, along with the pocket square.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 PM) : 

i love all of the juxtapositions of color, pattern, material, etc. so chic, yet creative and accessible!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:12 PM) : 

okay...I say "Dapper"...yes,"dapper" looks very handsome...

 

Blogger Giuseppe said ... (11:19 PM) : 

It's a tough outfit to pull off, but I suppose being Italian helps too, so bravo!

In response to Chic Noir:
I've often felt that NYC has the nasty habit of stealing ideas from Boston and taking all the credit.
Case in point, New England practically invented the tradition of brightly colored summer clothes for American men. In New York you call them "wow" colors, but around here, they'e old hat.

But I digress. It's this Italian fellows outfit we should discuss, and clearly it's the jam.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 PM) : 

WoW !
Who is this gentleman ?
What shoes was he wearing ?

 

Blogger Rebecca Lydia said ... (11:30 PM) : 

beautiful color palette... this is how i would wish to dress if i was a man.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:51 PM) : 

Not a color scheme I would ever dare wear. But it seems to work for him. It is not a bad fit either.

 

Blogger Cabot said ... (12:10 AM) : 

I love the peak lapel.

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (12:35 AM) : 

a great shade of blue...it pops and is perfect for a summer suit!
he's charming!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:40 AM) : 

Sart, I can't explain, but looking at this shot just makes me feel happy! Is it that tone of blue...is it the charming background...or simply those smiling eyes?
Thank you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:01 AM) : 

i love how his pocket square looks like a lotus!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:53 AM) : 

From the gorgeous smile and to even the pocket square, what a true man of style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 AM) : 

fantastic! truly a one-of-a-kind-man: what a radiance - wonderful. makes my day, in a rainy part of the world..

girl/woman with inpronouncable name

 

Blogger Caroline said ... (3:18 AM) : 

10 days until i leave for the summer. thank goodness. i hope i run into this man!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:45 AM) : 

I would never dare to use that tie. It's dark brown and with dots while the rest of the outfit has stripes. Usually men use ties that are brighter and more colourful than the costume, this is the other way around. But take away the tie and he suddenly looks like an american carpet salesman.
A very brave man, with so much more style than us kids posting here. I hope i will be able to do things like that at that age!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:37 AM) : 

I think is the whole thing and the setting. He seems an unassuming fellow, and he wears the thing with panache. Just put that to someone who's more "serious" and you will see the whole ensemble falling apart, either in Florence or in Tombuctu

 

Blogger António Erre said ... (4:57 AM) : 

I think the red-trimmed pocket square makes a clear statement about his style. Self confidence and bold colours for the summer.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:11 AM) : 

Love the colour combo!
www.start-london.com

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (5:25 AM) : 

I'm not keen on such a bright colour, but the jacket looks great quality.

 

Blogger Lexi:: PottyMouthMama said ... (5:41 AM) : 

It pops! Awesome!

 

Blogger Lexi:: PottyMouthMama said ... (5:57 AM) : 

It pops! Awesome!

 

Blogger Maven said ... (6:29 AM) : 

For me this all works because the scale of all the different patterns is balanced-and the fabrics all drape beautifully. Love the leather watchband too! This guys' got panache! Thanks- it's so much fun to see Florence through your eyes-:)

 

Blogger Miriam Parkman said ... (7:04 AM) : 

This picture really is a proof of great and happily shining style. Playful, but not clownish. Just fantastically good-looking.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:41 AM) : 

This look is why Italians are charming. They live life like they love it and they're not afraid. Great shot, as always.

 

Blogger my jekyll doesnt hide said ... (7:46 AM) : 

my favorite was the pocket square, but hey, maybe it's the jacket's shade of blue that makes the square pop like that. by the way dear all, how do you keep your pocket square- the one you shape and locate so precisely- from losing shape and sinking deeper and deeper to your pocket? any tips?

 

Blogger El Aristócrata said ... (8:06 AM) : 

I love the display of the pocket square; no that sure about the red for this combination of colours.
Again, I would like to have the full photo, including the shoes. Shoes are the first thing we should look at

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (8:20 AM) : 

Ah, no. I can appreciate the fine construction of the jacket and the high quality of his clothes; yet I think men's clothes should be simple, and mixing only 2-3 colors in an outfit. After that, in men's fashion, everything is decoration. BTW, saw your quote in the NYT today, well done! Jorge from West Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:24 AM) : 

As much as I like the outfit, it does seem too Italian, if there ever was such a thing. And I must say, sisterplease above makes a valid point. But I suppose clothes look even better/worse depending on their context, including where they are worn, so I suppose that this would look terrible in Miami does not mean it's a bad outfit in Florence, Italy.

Energie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:33 AM) : 

I think a solid color shirt would work better. I think the stripes make the overall look too busy.
But, I really like the jacket quite a lot. Color, herringbone pattern, pick stitch lapels with real button hole. I can't tell from the photo if the jacket sleeve buttons are functional, but I'll guess that they are. The jacket looks lightweight, so it would be good for warm weather. Really nice.

 

Blogger mette said ... (8:35 AM) : 

You have to be a`character´to pull a jacket this blue through.

 

Blogger Candace said ... (8:44 AM) : 

What a combination! He pulls it off with such ease and sophistication...I wonder what the rest of his closet looks like!

 

Blogger heidi said ... (8:49 AM) : 

I love this guy... we should set him up with the silver-haired woman in light lilac in nyc.

 

Blogger Reena Rai said ... (9:18 AM) : 

What a dapper gentleman! the close up shot really shows the outfit in its true glory. It's all been said before, but its all perfect from the clashing prints to the colour of the jacket and the folds of the pocket hanky.

 

Blogger beautylogicblog said ... (9:27 AM) : 

I love the jacket, and the smile lights up a room.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:45 AM) : 

Wow is the right word. Someone here is indeed very serious about colour!
BTW, love the blue of the jacket.

 

Blogger Alex said ... (9:55 AM) : 

The linen is my fav. part!

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (9:58 AM) : 

Wonderful! I am taken aback by this gent. I did a double take when I saw the cholcolate brown tie, red-edged pockate square, and purple stripes. The electric blue herringbone sport coat is the least striking thing about his outfit, to my eye. It shouldn't work, but it does. It looks great with the grey trousers. What sort of shoes was he wearing, I wonder? Even this chap's haircut is sound. Magnifique!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05 AM) : 

This reminds me of "Some Kind of Blue". I wonder if you'll get the same comments on this post.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

wow. one of the most stunning color combinations i've ever seen on a man. terrific!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:17 AM) : 

You caught one of those wonderful moments when the man wears the clothes. Whatever he'd drinking make mine a double!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 AM) : 

You said it, my friend. Wow! Glad to see you back in action.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 AM) : 

I think it's a subjective matter whether or not you like to add some (or lot) color to your outfit, but I think I'm being objective in pronouncing that those pants are not working with the rest of the outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:00 PM) : 

"If this was on the same man in Miami you would be nauseated."

Hear, hear!!!

 

Blogger amyw said ... (12:23 PM) : 

That's the most awesome blue! I love that jacket!
I wouldn't try this, but he pulls it off perfectly.
The world needs more of people like him, people who aren't afraid to think outside the box with colors and who aren't afraid to dress in beautiful, tailored clothes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:32 PM) : 

Amazing. What a sense of style. How do they do it? Fantastic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 PM) : 

I think it boils down to his confidence and his brilliant smile.

And I love the red-trimmed handkerchief.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:47 PM) : 

What a great combo! How great is he?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:00 PM) : 

This makes me happy to be alive.

 

Blogger so said ... (1:36 PM) : 

it's a little bright...but somehow works on him. i especially like the pocket square.

...can you pick up a few cashmere wraps at the market for me!? :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:39 PM) : 

I was going to say something about the pocket square being folded to look like flower petals peeking out, but I see in.ri has beaten me to the punch. Just lovely.

 

Blogger Natalie said ... (2:00 PM) : 

:o) A very charming man. I didn't have much to say about the photo, even though I really liked the combination of colors and patterns. But then my dad came up to me for an advice on shirt/tie combination..! And I jokingly advised to match his stripes with polka dots :o) He liked it :o)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 PM) : 

Hmmmmm, not sure how I feel about this. Part of me says he's an older man so show him some respect and applaud his moxy as well as his sense of color. Then part of me says this just looks plain bad. I LOVE color and wear lots of different colors together--never listened to that belt/shoe matching combo when it ruled women's fashion. But this is a bit much even for ME. And yes, if he were on Ocean Drive most ppl would think he was some pretentious tourist with so much money he buys tacky clothes cuz he doesn't know what else to do with it.

 

Blogger LichMD said ... (2:40 PM) : 

I think this outfit really works.
The colors and textures really flow into each other beautifully and show real elegance.

Guissepe, I fail to understand your comment about NE and NYC. How does "wow" colors relate to NYC stealing NE ideas?

 

Blogger perezvila™ said ... (3:07 PM) : 

his smile makes me feel like talking to him.

(and certainly i would take the chance to honor him for his look!!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:14 PM) : 

I love him from the waist up, maybe a pair of chocolate brown pants would have looked better.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:26 PM) : 

So much done well here. The expression says 'of course this works - I chose it didn't I?' The blue is a brilliant choice. Brown and royal blue are a terrific marriage. Most men would limit themselves to three colors above the waist, but this shows that with enough white in the mix and only two patterns in play (the shirt and the tie), just about any palette will work. Check out the pinch in the waist! - you wish, Miami.

 

Blogger Gina Marie said ... (4:00 PM) : 

It seems to me that because the purple picks up the electric blue, the blue/purple/red-trimmed pocket square combination really reads as blue/red trimmed pocket square, which helps it blend more. Also, the fact that the shirt is striped with white (which some people above seemed not to like) picks up the white of the pocket square and makes THAT work. If the pocket square was fully red it wouldn't look nearly as nice. Now the brown tie... maybe it's because everything else is so bright that it provides some levity (despite the polka dots - but I think the small size works vs. a large polka dot which would just look cartoonish).

But the gentleman is just so charismatic and friendly-looking, I think it all comes back to what you always say - he wears the clothes, the clothes don't wear him.

 

Blogger CULTURE CREATORS said ... (4:16 PM) : 

The blue is exquisite.




xCC

 

Blogger Milt-fresh_best-dressed said ... (4:26 PM) : 

I love the way this gentlemen carries this look. That shirt is to die for!!! See I love the effect of bringin together items that normally would work well together seperatly. Many are reading this like i'm crazy, but these are simple peices that are being used. It takes guts to bring bold peices together. But anyway kudos to the gentlemen

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:09 PM) : 

I agree with you on the subtlety of the outfit. I might take this as an inspiration to pull off the bright colors of summer.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:55 PM) : 

"This good"? "This subtle"? Please explain!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:56 PM) : 

great ... but it only works in Italy!

 

Blogger Tha Gov'na said ... (6:14 PM) : 

Fantastic colors, bravo!

 

Blogger Caroline said ... (7:22 PM) : 

that's amazing.

 

Blogger aviewaskew said ... (9:26 PM) : 

he wears it well, such joie de vivre...pocket square is my favorite touch it drew my eye first...that and his smile.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:00 AM) : 

this is my idea of perfect.
lol.

 

Blogger Seanrwatson2 said ... (12:07 AM) : 

Blue hues most likely neon colored shoes too if not for cropped view. I shan't think so but the rhyme was altogether too fun to pass on.

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (9:07 AM) : 

the hue and tone of the trousers is too close to the jacket to work as a mis-match.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:22 PM) : 

man i miss the dandy life of Firenze!
fantastic look...takes me back to my study abroad...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:34 PM) : 

Picture perfect, well spotted.
Great source of inspiration, once again :-)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:26 PM) : 

most designers put in a lot of thought regarding how to balance so numerous bright colours, and in what quantities and placements, while retaining balance.

this gentleman does it so naturally.

this goes on to my colour board. and i like the smile- even brighter than the jacket.

 

Blogger Alexa Johnson said ... (4:00 PM) : 

This gent would stop me in my tracks on the street. Love him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:29 PM) : 

He's divine!

 

Blogger jessicawhitley said ... (7:59 PM) : 

I'm in love with this.
Seriously.

 

Blogger Miguel said ... (9:47 PM) : 

I would have loved to see the shoes...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:38 PM) : 

Just a great looking outfit

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (10:52 AM) : 

Great shot! I love the attention he paid to folding his pocket square. All points --perfect! And with the red edging. It's such a great crisp detail for summer.

Everything else? Check, check, check!
SWELL!

 

Blogger david m. said ... (12:25 PM) : 

Does anyone else notice his red leather-banded watch on his right hand in the top photo?

AMAZING. Very good attention to color and accessorizing. The watch band and pocket square go together perfectly, and put it all together

I think the only way you can pull off this look is if you're over 48 years old. You need to have the gusto to defy trendy and pull out the uber-classy. This is uber-classy.

 

Blogger kale daikon said ... (12:52 PM) : 

That is the most beautiful shade of blue I have ever seen in fabric form. It makes me think of happy things: mountain lakes, summer skies, iridescent blue birds, wild flowers bobbing in the wind. His smile is the perfect accompaniment.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:38 PM) : 

I love the fit and I love bright colors... I think I'm going to steal some ideas (shamelessly!) from this guy. Of course, even if I have a similar color combo, it just won't be the same on a girl. He pulls it off with such panache. =)

 

Blogger ricpic said ... (4:45 PM) : 

A subtle point, I hope not too subtle: the electric blue jacket would not work, or not work as well, if it lacked the herringbone pattern. Not to mince words, it would look cheap. With the herringbone it's almost elegant. And the wearer's confidence doesn't hurt either.

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (5:49 PM) : 

I love him! His spontaneous and honest smile goes with the energy of the colors and patterns he's wearing.

 

Blogger sue said ... (12:55 PM) : 

THAT IS AMAZING

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:02 PM) : 

and This is why I love the Sartorialist. Part of the charm here is the crispness and lustre of the fabrics, but the better part is in disregarding the rules and winning

 

Blogger couturiette said ... (11:43 PM) : 

Absolutely love it! The red piping on the white handkerchief against that field of blue is just right.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:22 AM) : 

love the detail. he fixed his pocket square to look as if he had just picked out a lotus flower and stuck it in his front pocket. and the blue!

 

Blogger amy said ... (4:41 PM) : 

love the pocket square. love the colors.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:30 PM) : 

wow i want to hug this man!! the outfit is A+ the colors, the fabric, everything! he has a wonderful smile!So charming

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:49 PM) : 

HE IS GORGEOUS ....absolutley GORGEOUS.....Live your life to the fullest extent of elegance!

I LOVE THIS LOOOOOOK!

THXSAR!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 PM) : 

What's not to love here? Polka dots, stripes, colors galore! And that smile and those crinkled, twinkling eyes!

I could just kiss his darling little head.

 

Blogger xxxx said ... (2:51 AM) : 

o how i love smiling photos.

and the blue.

 

Blogger Kitt said ... (11:06 PM) : 

Wonderful. The handkerchief reminds me of the elegant stationery and cards at Pineider in Florence.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:03 PM) : 

He looks like the kind of guy I'd like to have about a two hour lunch with.....

 

Anonymous Ljerka-Susanna-Lukic said ... (5:31 PM) : 

GREAT!!!
Susan,Designer&Writer
Toronto

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting