This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

From Paris Vogue - Magdalena

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, June 05, 2008

From Paris Vogue - Magdalena


I realize that since the supplement i shot for Paris Vogue wasn't distributed in the US that a lot of you didn't get to see the photos.
Well, I am pretty proud of them and I want to have them on my blog so i will run a few of them over the next few days with a little background story - if there is one.


This is probably my favorite shot of the whole series because it was so hard to get.

It was literally raining sideways while I was shooting Magdalena
Because it was raining so hard I had her sit on a covered loading dock that had a little light coming in from the side. Since I was using an 85 lens I was back quite a bit, standing in the rain, while my assistant Lynn held an umbrella right under my chin. We must have looked like we were playing stand-up Twister because we were both trying to huddle under this little umbrella. I'm surprised that none of the raindrops show up in the shot. I think it is because of the dark background and lack of and direct light.

I prefer to shoot outside in natural light and rain can make life difficult but only if you let it.

Comments on "From Paris Vogue - Magdalena"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:56 PM) : 

Beautiful and evocative shot! Who was the stylist? You?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:56 PM) : 

I think this may be the nicest fashion shot I've ever seen. I'ts lovely the way you've caught all the details of the clothes in such a stiking setting: the light is lovely and the yellow loading dock is perfect. Rain on the wellos bears out what you say about the conditions!

 

Blogger CULTURE CREATORS said ... (7:04 PM) : 

Mmmmmm love this shot. The yellow makes it!

CC

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:08 PM) : 

Sensational! One of my favourite posts ever. the colours and composition are so striking; the combination of subtlety and contrast. the story that goes with it makes the picture even more astonishing. Wow Sart if you can produce results like that in conditions like those you're going to put Pascal Dangin out of a job...

 

Blogger Candace said ... (7:12 PM) : 

What a great shot! The loading dock is incredible...definitely worth the effort!

And can she look any more cooler sitting "Indian" style!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:37 PM) : 

I love the yellow wooden detail.
Everything looks so "natural", probably the gentle rain made it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:05 PM) : 

ha! I don't think anyone would mind if she "parked" herself on that dock all day - in spite of the sign. Fabulous. Reality based in theory - but of course she's too cool and chic for real-life which is what makes it fantasy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:10 PM) : 

I love the photo. It has this gritty edge to it yet has a sophisticated element. Good job! =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:34 PM) : 

Magdalena Frackowiak is so beautiful, I'm proud of her being polish (;

 

Blogger Persephone said ... (9:00 PM) : 

absolutely lovely!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:53 PM) : 

Sweet shot. Awesome story.

 

Blogger Jonathan said ... (10:09 PM) : 

I love what happens to light when it rains. What a beautiful photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 PM) : 

she is lovely. and I keep seeing her in soho!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 PM) : 

Kudos to you Mr. Sartorialist.
The shot is beautiful.

I want some gumboots now! :D

 

Blogger Cheryl Lynn Pastor Romance Author said ... (11:43 PM) : 

Your work is fantastic! I'm so glad I found your blog through Style Bubble. I have been contemplating taking my little digital to the streets to capture women (and some men probably) who don fashionable footwear.

This photo is wonderfully shot. The yellow and shadow contrast gives an amazing element of mystery to the composition.

Bravo! I will be back!

 

Blogger Cassaundra said ... (1:03 AM) : 

This shot is breathtaking, and believe me, I rarely use that word - it is so gorgeous, I cannot begin to explain ... I'm sure you already knew that, though - Mr.Paris Vogue.

 

Blogger M said ... (3:20 AM) : 

i saw the supplement and love the shot of maria carla!! really fantastic

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:35 AM) : 

You can be proud of yourself because that is a fantastic shot. BRAVO!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:03 AM) : 

Not only she is beautiful, but also smart and nice! I know because I have done the same high school as she, regards from Gdansk, Poland!

 

Blogger sanecommunications said ... (4:54 AM) : 

hey there

fantastic composition ... the red and the yellow being primary and standout almost frame her fragile frame in the industrial and butch conditions ...

wet boots adds to the atmospheric nature of the shot ... you dont know its raining but if you study the still you see detail to provide an explanation to the conditions ...

nice one Mr S

 

Blogger do you like my tight sweater said ... (5:04 AM) : 

so great :o

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:43 AM) : 

It's not real though: they're turning you into one of them Sart! Them with the perfect models who are too darn pretty for words, who purvey the perfect look of "fragile in the Paris rain". It's all so bloody perfect it's unreal. But a man's gotta eat; we'll forgive you just this once.

Energie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:33 AM) : 

Great photo! - the proportions are just right - the yellow wood and red&white sign make the pic. (Would have liked to see more of the clothes though ...)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:36 AM) : 

hi,
very good

 

Blogger LaFemmeAnkita said ... (7:44 AM) : 

Thanks for giving a little taste of your photography technique! As a (very) amateur photographer, I love your site first for the photography and second for the fashion. I would LOVE to hear more about the camera and lenses you use, and how you capture the light so masterfully! the one photo of the woman on the beach at dusk with the lanterns glowing in the background is the shot i dream of being able to execute one day! Please share! If you had the time, a related blog with just technical explanations of the photography techniques would be IDEAL. A girl can dream...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:05 AM) : 

If you had used a lower contrast we may actually be able to see fully what she is wearing. After I brighten it a bit, yes, it is a very good shot.

 

Blogger Karmander said ... (8:26 AM) : 

Kudos! You know, I never really considered how "individual" your shots are, but when I pictured finding this in Vogue, where photographs are usually so airy and perfumy and photoshopped to death...This would be such a striking contrast to all that...and FURTHERMORE, I would know, or at least suspect, that is was you who took the shot. That's the best compliment I can give an artist, I think.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:37 AM) : 

props from a photo student who also prefers natural light! your shots are always beautiful.

i love the texture of her jeans. anyone know where i can get me some pants like that? i am not well-versed in expensive jeans, but i have this tax return burning a hole in my pocket...

 

Blogger amy said ... (8:38 AM) : 

the texture and the color! ahhh.... i feel this one in my teeth. and that's a good thing!

 

Blogger Emily said ... (8:54 AM) : 

that's an amazing shot. I'm impressed at your portrait-in-the-rain skills!

 

Blogger Natalie said ... (9:02 AM) : 

What I like about this photo is the contrast between the roughness of the surroundings and the fresh beauty of her face. ...and her deep stare.

 

Blogger MWM said ... (9:06 AM) : 

I agree that the yellow is what makes this shot.

 

Blogger aurora said ... (9:14 AM) : 

Just a lurker popping out to say that this shot really moved me. I am not a photographer, just an admirer.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:16 AM) : 

Love the photo. Question- you shot these for French Vogue, yet the sign is in English; where did the shoot take place? And do you believe that certain places have better natural light than others? I am surprised that none of the comments above have asked if the jacket is trimmed fur- seems so to me. I am not a fur hater but usually those comments pop up. Any chance you may do something with W Magazine? They are so much bolder and cutting edge than vogue; I wonder what you would do if you were to work with them... Jorge from West Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:21 AM) : 

it was worth the trouble! it's absolutely amazing, I can't believe you shot that in the rain :p

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (10:53 AM) : 

for Anon 9:16am
i shot the pictures for this supplement over a month in NYC and Milan

 

Blogger Karina Cifuentes said ... (12:41 PM) : 

Gorgeous. Just gorgeous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:49 PM) : 

b+w filters with the mrc coating repel water and dust. very handy!

 

Blogger Disneyrollergirl.net said ... (12:55 PM) : 

Beautiful. Glad you posted as I was gutted not to get the supplement in London!

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (2:06 PM) : 

This one's great, but my favorite was Angela Lindvall + child.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (2:49 PM) : 

Wonderful - the perfect imperfection of natural light cannot be beat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:42 PM) : 

Wow, Sart. So very beautiful. And I loved reading the background on this one.

I'm always wondering how you manage to get all of these gorgeous shots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:02 PM) : 

awesome shot!!!!

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (6:07 PM) : 

Gorgeous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:20 PM) : 

Have you posted/taken down the photos yet?


I went out and bought the issue only to be dissapointed the part you did wasn't in it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:46 PM) : 

L*O*V*E*L*Y

 

Blogger Seanrwatson2 said ... (3:11 AM) : 

I really commend you on this shot. There is no sign of struggle in getting it. As I scrolled down I was drawn to this one before reading the caption, and see why now it means what it does to you. I'm drawn to this woman's gaze. She seems to hold a world inside of her that is exotic. Masterfully dressed, she is the focal point in the sharp contrasted hues.

 

Blogger Jess Kiley said ... (3:23 AM) : 

Looks like Adrianne Curry to me.

 

Blogger quirky said ... (7:36 AM) : 

i love all the 36 photos... i wish all the photos were posted! my most favorite one would be the one with natasha poly talking over the phone! hope to see more of this....

 

Blogger Paris said ... (8:58 AM) : 

How have you managed to capture such beauty here?! Especially given the weather. Magical!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:09 PM) : 

she's beautiful as always and the photo is gorgeous with its flash of yellow. the "no parking sign" made me smile. i love these little stories. don't stop.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:29 PM) : 

She's beautiful! And the whole photo is just lovely!

 

Blogger TV's David Caruso said ... (6:30 PM) : 

This is a fantastic shot, it has a candid feeling that I really love.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:45 AM) : 

I like this photograph a lot. Just looking at her lets you phase out the harshness surrounding her. The beaten up sign, the harsh surface of the wood, and the cold metal are all the harsh things in life. But when you focus on the lady, you see beauty and elegance. All the elements of the style are meant to protect her. From the jacket, the gloves, the scarf, and the boots. I love the story that this picture gives and the interpretation that it allows for the viewer.

 

Blogger Olimpia Liberti said ... (11:34 AM) : 

I really liked the photo. The yellow with the black of her bag and boots and the no parking looked perfect together.

 

Blogger Kwana said ... (1:22 PM) : 

Thanks so much for sharing this and the background that went with it. Love it. The only hint of the day is the swish of her hair.

 

Blogger Laurenn said ... (5:26 AM) : 

I love the textures and ruggedness of the surroundings and the naturalness of the shot. It gives of such a cool attitude.

 

Blogger hannah said ... (12:08 PM) : 

lovely as always scott. i love to hear the backstory. i did a shoot for my friend's fashion line outdoors with natural light only and thought of you the whole time.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 AM) : 

most definitely my favorite lately

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:13 AM) : 

hi sartorialist. i've never commented before, but i adore your blog. like "lafemmeankita" i return again and again for not only the fashion and commentary but the photography as well. it is stunning. you always seem to offer a unique perspective. as a photographer, i'm very interested in hearing more about your lens choices and all the 'technical stuff.' thank you for the glimpse you gave us into how you got this difficult shot. i bought the paris vogue while visiting in april--including this supplement--and recognized the shot immediately. all of them are extraordinary and you should post for everyone else to see. in the morning i like to get dressed, secretly wish the sartorialist will stop me randomly on the street for a photo op. but i don't think you'll be wandering the streets of heidelberg germany (or san francisco) anytime soon. sigh. thanks again!

 

Blogger An Upstart said ... (5:35 AM) : 

fierce! she looks savage and unkempt, in a wonderfully evocative manner, obviously =)... was this how you found her, or was this posed? I'm hoping it's the former.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:21 AM) : 

Great shot!

Which issue of Paris Vogue was that? Which month?

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting