This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Style Profile...Sohiny Das, New Delhi

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Style Profile...Sohiny Das, New Delhi




Sohiny Das

Job?
I am a fashion designer and a freelance stylist, and I am trying to dabble in a bit of fashion journalism here in India.

Best Sartorial advice from your parents?
'Subtle is best'.

Style icons
No one in particular, but I admire many.

Describe your personal style
More like permutation and combination of limited items, and I try to wear them in a different way every time. I don't think much about what to wear..and that is why the result is a grunge-ethno-preppy mish mash.

I build my daily look around
My schedule for the day..generally a big bag with spare shoes and some make-up, just in case there's an unplanned change.

Personal Style quirk
Oversized items, and menswear.

Favorite designers
Madeline Vionnet, Nicholas Ghesquire, Issey Miyake, Martin Margiela, Dries Van Noten, Anamika Khanna.

Most cherished item
A black dress by Ghost- it is a miracle versatile dress that was made for me- I believe.

I feel best wearing?
Anything loose and slouchy.

The first thing I look at in another Sartorialist's outfit ...
Combination and comfort level.

I always break this fashion rule.
Blend with the trend.

I never break this fashion rule.
Wear it with a sense of humor.

Never caught wearing?
I think I've worn them all...disaster or not.

Most underrated item in menswear/womenswear?
The plain-Jane grey/ black top that goes with everything, and can be teamed up in every possible way.

Dress to impress who?
The mirror, mostly. And my boss..sometimes. It helps.

Shine your own shoes?
No point when you are walking about in India.

Favorite stores?
Flea markets and vintage stores.

Your next "must have" purchase?
Orange Lipstick, and Yellow eyeshadow.

I only buy __________ in Europe.
Lots of jackets..when I lived there.

I skimp when buying ...
Everyday office-wear. No point, in this weather. And dust.

I splurge on.....

Quality inner wear. Very fussy.

Favorite item of clothing
Right now- tapered dark Indigo jeans..not very tight and with a front pleat. Casual, semi formal, dressy.

Guilty pleasure
No guilt in pleasures.

Cologne, skincare?
Dior Addict, Body Shop Tea Tree Range.

Most stylish city (Milan, Paris, London, New York, other)
I have only been to London among the ones mentioned...and yes, people there have very good aesthetics mostly. I like the result of the multicultural mix in the sensibilities, and the fact that the city has something for anyone-from anywhere.

When I was high school I wore?
My own creation- a disaster haircut, and mighty smug about it.

Sports?
Rowing, Badminton.

Favorite fashion magazine?
Spot and Street, Tank, ID..and I only saw a couple of issues of 'Rubbish'.

Favorite vacation spot?
Anywhere, as long as I am with my friends. If on my own, then London.

Favorite neighborhood restaurant?
Leopold's and Mondegar in Mumbai for relaxed unpretentious let-your-hair-down ambience.

Labels:

Comments on "Style Profile...Sohiny Das, New Delhi"

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (6:50 PM) : 

Is this the same woman who wore the black dress with the yellow flats in india, who you said was like Audrey Hepburn? Either way, I think she is very beautiful and I love her menswear look with the silver eye makeup.

 

Blogger JO said ... (6:51 PM) : 

Love her eye liner in the top photo - looks great!

These profiles are fun - I hope you continue them

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:55 PM) : 

She is gorgeous and the silver eyeliner is genius on her complexion. Her style almost seems rebellious.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:00 PM) : 

She´s stunning!
I undestand her very well cause i´m from a third world contry, too.
Fashion is harder in there.

 

Blogger Jon and Monique said ... (7:09 PM) : 

She looks so fresh, it seems like she has a certain rawness to her. Very beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:15 PM) : 

Nice profile !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:17 PM) : 

Nice profile !
Quite interesting...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:25 PM) : 

I love this style profile, articulate and funny.

 

Blogger Holly said ... (7:29 PM) : 

I wish she were my best friend. She's wonderful, unpretentious and open.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:12 PM) : 

She sounds super lovely, and looks it as well.

 

Blogger Berkley Magazine said ... (8:26 PM) : 

I love the colours of the pellets on her shirt but the trousers let the entire outfit down, they look a little too much like jammies.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:29 PM) : 

I would love to see some of her designs.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:34 PM) : 

Gorgeous, fascinating girl. She seems to teeter between sophistication and nonchalance impeccably.

 

Blogger suzannemarques said ... (8:35 PM) : 

i loved when you posted her looks before. i am even more excited to learn more about her.

more more more... how do you like it, how do you like it...

i love these profiles!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 PM) : 

She is gorgeous!
Great profle --
I want to be friends with her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:04 PM) : 

i want to be her friend too!

 

Blogger Sterling-haired Lady said ... (9:53 PM) : 

Love that she splurges on quality inner wear...I know that we all should do that---everything would look and feel better (just check out how the outer things look on her)---though it is hard to do. Seems a bit self-indulgent to splurge on the inner things--but, if it actually enhances the look and boosts one's confidence, why not?
And, a she's a fellow rower! I love that, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 PM) : 

beautiful.

Kit

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:20 PM) : 

"No guilt in pleasures"

I like her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 PM) : 

Very nice profile. Interesting! I like positive news of life!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:29 PM) : 

I just love her modesty and sincerity. I think this is the best/most interesting style profile you've done so far.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:58 PM) : 

Sohiny, I hope you keep the Sartorialist up to date with your doings and he lets us know.

We've all sort of fallen in love with you here!

Plus, a girl who proudly sported her own creation disaster haircut is a girl after my own heart.

Over here in my dusty place, I'll take your fashion approach as inspiration.

-- Namaste from desertwind

 

Blogger PaperbagPrincess said ... (12:22 AM) : 

I disagree about her trousers. I think they just add to her personal style.. I love fashion but as a sport enthusiast/runner sometimes it's hard to find fashionable 'comfy' clothes. I believe that her being a rower really explains the trousers.

my question is: does anyone know where I could get a similar pair?

 

Blogger Theo said ... (12:29 AM) : 

it's really cool to read the profile thing. i feel like a weird stalker, but i loved the grey eye makeup photo you published a few months and actually got a bit excited by this... creepy, in a way :S

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:34 AM) : 

She seems to have a good sense of humour about her style.

Never caught wearing?
I think I've worn them all...disaster or not.

Love her candidness!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:49 AM) : 

she's gorgeous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:42 AM) : 

definitely my favorite profile so far...i love her free spirited and fun personality!

 

Blogger MdeNoche said ... (6:01 AM) : 

She seems to be a very strong person, and she has something different in her eyes.

I use too Dior Addict!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:13 AM) : 

@paperbagprincess:
those trousers are from a pavement market in Calcutta. They're actually houndstooth stretch pyjamas..i have just worn them scrunched up..
I'm guessing you'd get similar stuff anywhere..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:34 AM) : 

She's my favourite too! I think she seems really sweet & unpretentious - and I love her silver eyes in the first picture.

 

Blogger miss milki said ... (7:34 AM) : 

Love that you did a profile on Sohiny! I was really taken by her when you photographed her earlier in the year. She seems like such a great, fun person...doesn't take 'fashion' too seriously and isn't afraid to experiment and make mistakes. Definately would love to be friends with her too!

it'd be brilliant to see some of her designs...maybe that could be another post?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:41 AM) : 

Dear Scott,
Please do a "Style Profile" on Lino Ieluzzi. It would be so nice! Thank you!

 

Blogger zara said ... (8:54 AM) : 

No guilt in pleasures.
wow, brilliant :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:01 AM) : 

Wonderfully down to earth.

 

Blogger laia. said ... (9:44 AM) : 

This is the most interesting profile I've seen here by far. I think it's really great you're giving us notes from the beaten paths as well as the "regular" cities.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:39 AM) : 

Love these different types of style profiles! It's fun to hear where different menswear designers buy their suits and shoes but it's also nice to shake things up with women, and unconventionally-dressed women at that!

 

Blogger Thomas said ... (11:54 AM) : 

Another brilliant addition. I especially like her reminder that fashion should have a sense of humour.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 PM) : 

Wowie! She is so stylish! Words and all..

I die over those pants. I often go back to India and stock up on slouchy trousers, pajamas, harem pants. Comfort chic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:21 PM) : 

How lovely! To be honest, I didn't like the other profiled people...they sounded rather pretentious. But this profile was a fun read, Sohiny sounds so upbeat and honest, and she looks amazing. :)

And I totally agree with her when it comes to comfortable clothes. I for one, never, ever use heels because my feet find them odious, and it's somewhat annoying that a lot of people seem to think that there's no way a girl can be elegant without such things :p

Nice blog, Sart!

 

Blogger Piztachio said ... (3:27 PM) : 

That shirt in the second photo--wow!

 

Blogger eye five style said ... (3:33 PM) : 

the 'no guilt in pleasures' quote is one to remember.


eyefivestyle.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:56 PM) : 

this girl has an awesome personality

 

Blogger matt williams said ... (6:35 PM) : 

Love that first pic of her. The eye makeup is fab.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:22 PM) : 

I love these profiles. Would you consider doing one with the lady you've photographed (in Paris, I think) in overalls, and in a great black coat? And, one with The Twins from May 14?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:09 PM) : 

Yes yes yes! I was struck by the "no guilt in pleasures," too. She's so lovely and has a beautiful attitude. I would like to be her friend. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:01 PM) : 

Love the light and the colors in the bottom photo. The sunlight hitting her calf: it's very sensual. Sohiny simmers with mystery, self-confidence and sexiness. Interview was refreshing, special. Gorgeous top & stylish, comfy pants. Wasn't sure they worked together at first, but after reading feel it reflects her perfectly. She knows how to express herself in fashion.

 

Blogger Disneyrollergirl.net said ... (7:04 AM) : 

Loving these profiles...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 AM) : 

Thank you for these profiles. They are so interesting, I see them collected in a volume.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:33 PM) : 

Nice interview:

besides "No guilt in pleasures" I also liked "Wear it with a sense of humor" as well as the use of disaster... twice! once as a noun and even better the second time as an adjective... "disaster haircut" sounds like the name of my new favorite band.

 

Blogger Violet Harrington Pickles said ... (10:54 PM) : 

I like very much this young woman.
Soulful eyes.
A lack of pretension and effortless style that is refreshing.

Indeed yes, I like her very much...

Violet Harrington Pickles

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:26 PM) : 

This is your best style profile. It's great to see someone who dresses so well without pretension.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 PM) : 

i love this interview.
she seems natural and real, plus all the designers she mention i never heard of.

she makes it look effortless, yet classy.

*thank you for putting a cultural perspective*

 

Blogger Sonam said ... (1:10 PM) : 

Beautiful pics! And India isn't too far behind when it comes to fashion! You can tell that by the number of luxury brands that are coming here :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:00 PM) : 

LOVE hers shirt.

 

Blogger Alice said ... (3:50 PM) : 

You should check out Croatia. The locals have a very distinct/hip yet not too flashy style. I loved the subtle colors and combinations of the outfits.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:42 AM) : 

Awesome! I am obsessed with orange lipstick too. May I suggest Fluorescent orange #201 by Make Up Forever. Would look so good with your complexion.
I think style is being able to rework the same pieces into completely different outfits. Props!

ev said

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:31 PM) : 

Most people touched on this, but "no guilt in pleasures"...

awesome profile and seems like a sweet girl.

more please!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:29 AM) : 

hi !!!
I was once in Leopold's in mumbai. I felt I was sitting with modern people but in a good old 1950-60s restaurant.
I love the look of the restaurant.
Will be added soon on my blog.

 

Blogger Carissa Duhamel said ... (7:29 AM) : 

this girl is fantastic

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:32 AM) : 

She looks great. May I invite her to dinner?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 AM) : 

girl is fantastic

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:57 PM) : 

I definitely have to second Goncalo's post above...The second pic is definitely a melange of candour + Unpretentious + strong personality

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:24 AM) : 

Nice profile... Girl is too cool!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:38 AM) : 

can't believe this is u shona...gorgeous and so very smart. proud of u irl!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting