This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...Horizontal Stripes for Spring

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

On the Street...Horizontal Stripes for Spring



Comments on "On the Street...Horizontal Stripes for Spring"

 

Blogger Runway Rules said ... (8:43 AM) : 

What do you think about horizontal striped shirts? Do you think people can pull it off?

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (8:43 AM) : 

I love stripes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:20 AM) : 

The young man in the middle is half-covered up. He needs his own photo--the glasses and shorts are amazing!

 

Blogger Heather said ... (9:22 AM) : 

The middle pic is very Harry-Potterish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

I was also trying to figure out if that is Daniel Radcliffe

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 AM) : 

love the glasses in the middle pic. & the top is just too funny - talk about out-there personality!

 

Blogger andrew said ... (9:41 AM) : 

Runway Rules 8:43 - Anything ca n work if done right... i have believed that since grade 8 in English class when the teacher asked the class do you think this story would have worked from this persons point of view. Lots of people said no but i said why not.

I have stuck with that mentality since then and it has served me well!

P.S. I kill in horizontal stripes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:06 AM) : 

Common denominator to the three people in the pics? They are all on the slim slide. Yes, our retailers have wonderful stuff with horizontal stripes, but if one is packing some extra poundage (as yours truly), please abstain!!! Love the yellow boots, btw!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 AM) : 

I got scared of this first photo! Then I laughed. Stripes remain me about Venice...

 

Blogger Colleen said ... (10:25 AM) : 

Renata wins again in photo 3!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:28 AM) : 

The first guy with the thick-frame glasses kind of weirds me out.

The third photo looks like Renata. Is that her? Pic looks like it was taken a bit earlier in the year. Very clever how she's put that striped shirt under a v-neck wool sweater -- and then the boots!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:30 AM) : 

I LOVE THE FIRST PICTURE!!! THAT guy is my hero! Try asking if that guy cares what you think!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 AM) : 

I don't normally leave negative comments, but honestly this is like the best advert AGAINST horizontal stripes for spring!

#1 is a little too scary for my liking, #2 too Harry Potter-like and #3's yellow boots are a little alarming to say the least..

 

Blogger Gypmar said ... (12:34 PM) : 

Apologies for the non-sartorial rabbit trail, but does the photo of gentleman #1 remind anyone else of Bob from Twin Peaks, in one of television's all-time scariest scenes? That's why I find it a bit unsettling.

Making the photo that much more interesting, of course :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:34 PM) : 

That's the Italian lady you featured recently, on her way to ...fishing shrimps!

Joke aside, the best stiped t-shirts are the authentic French sailor ones, from Brittany. Look for Saint-James (one of the good brands). My husband, who si American, bought one at a boat show and he pulls it off very nicely.

 

Blogger cat minoki said ... (1:00 PM) : 

Again a stripes-topic!
And no matter who wears stripes, no matter if shirt, leggings, sweater... underwear,...
I don´t get the idea of stripes.
Something in my subconscious mind screams " back province!"

I think, stripes belong to children´s wear, pyjamas or to the Bretagne.
Sorry.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:04 PM) : 

Not sure this is a very urban look at all! I am not sure about such broad and, in the third picture, colorful stripes.

 

Blogger Chike-Ikechi said ... (2:53 PM) : 

The first shot is incredible and his pants make me smile. They do look like pajamas though. As for the middle chap, I echo the same sentiments as other commenter's--he needed his own full shot. His shorts are very interesting and his frames are beautiful. I can see the Harry Potter likeness.

I definitely think horizontal stripes are workable. I just captured a young chap in St. Louis on my street style blog donning a horizontal striped shirt similar to the chap in the second picture so the trend is well recognized!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:20 PM) : 

I agree that this is potentially a warning against wearing stripes. i'm not inspired by any of these combos. There are some great products out there, is this really the best of the best?

 

Blogger aone2one2 said ... (4:20 PM) : 

the sartorialist did not invent the horizontal striped shirt. get over it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:30 PM) : 

Contrary to what many of you are saying, I happen to love the first photo. Love the brightness of the pink coupled with the striped pants. A standout.

 

Blogger the quarter rat said ... (4:42 PM) : 

I want to grow up to be the guy in the first photo. He always rocks!

 

Blogger Seanrwatson2 said ... (4:42 PM) : 

It's not exciting anymore. Kind of cliche actually.

 

Blogger cjdd said ... (4:51 PM) : 

Hmm- did people stop wearing stripes?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:57 PM) : 

First photo: Beetlejuice! Love it. Not everyone can pull that off.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:53 PM) : 

Horizontal stripes for me are just boring unless they are broken up in an interesting or witty way. Horizontal striped leggings on a grown man even if he is wearing a cool pink shirt should be outlawed.

 

Blogger JO said ... (5:54 PM) : 

The first pic is HILARIOUS!!!

I love stripes!

 

Blogger Seth said ... (7:10 PM) : 

I love horizontal stripes. They can be chic and whimsical--sometimes both simultaneously, but I do agree with the earlier comment that they look best on thin people.

 

Blogger eyefordetail said ... (10:23 PM) : 

Love yellow boots' nonchalance and covet her huge ring.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:17 AM) : 

this is in rome?

 

Blogger NATRIBU said ... (2:55 AM) : 

Another time RENATA! She is fantastic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:20 AM) : 

I love the italian woman in the third pic, of course.
from italy message.
ciao a tutti,
serenella

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 PM) : 

LOVE* (Harry Potter on second photo?)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 PM) : 

come on. the lady with the yellow boot looks exactly like the late Anne Bancroft, which is to say wonderful.

 

Blogger Andreea said ... (10:21 AM) : 

the yellow boots are adorable and they look so comfy :)

 

Blogger Lizzie said ... (4:50 PM) : 

the the shorts on the boy in the second one. I wish I could see all of them! Hell, I'm a girl and I want a pair!

 

Blogger Shit Talker said ... (6:27 PM) : 

does anyone know who made the shorts #2 is wearing? AMAZING.

 

Blogger guerrillastylist said ... (8:27 AM) : 

I am allll about horizontal stripes right now. Especially thin black and white. Great paired with florals.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:42 PM) : 

The guy in the second picture looks like Harry Potter

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:35 AM) : 

I can only pray to look as elegant and beautiful as the lady in the third picture when I am older.

This is absolutely my favorite shot of anyone.

 

Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said ... (11:06 PM) : 

I wish I knew that first guy in the striped pants. He looks like a riot!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:13 AM) : 

Oohh gosh, the first pic´ture with the striped man.. I kind of love it but I hate it at the same time..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:39 PM) : 

1 is amazing amazing amazing

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:41 PM) : 

Could Renata be any more chic?!?!?!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:24 AM) : 

"Take" pic 1, is his name pronounced in the japanese way , is a very very interesting nice intelligent generous person. always on the brink for newness and new talent..an open and very fresh mind.

love yah , Take !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:13 AM) : 

the person in the second picture looks exactly like one of the guitarists/back-up singers from Bishop Allen!

 

Blogger yibram palacios said ... (11:33 AM) : 

i've seen horizontal stripes a lot of times seems life people loved it....nothing new!

 

Anonymous Striped shirts said ... (11:08 AM) : 

I love strips but don't like the first pick at all. I am more of a striped shirts or jumper person!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting