This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...Black & White Spring p2, Manhattan

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, May 22, 2008

On the Street...Black & White Spring p2, Manhattan


Comments on "On the Street...Black & White Spring p2, Manhattan"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:31 AM) : 

She looks happy and I applaud that! However, the hem length is not flattering--too short and the dainty ankle strap shoe doesn't jibe with the fabric of the skirt and sportiness of the canvas jacket.

 

Blogger Richard said ... (8:40 AM) : 

I like the lady on the bottom.

Sexy and sophisticated with a lot of class.

I am loving the addition of the short jacket, bag, and shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:42 AM) : 

The first picture is extremely cute, I am a monochromoholic and love seeing different ways black and white are put together as I've often worried that absence of colour = boring!
The shoes are really quirky and I really like the dress (or is it a shirt/skirt combo?) for the way it shapes the girl. It's fresh and just really nice!

Unfortunately I can find very little to like about the second picture, although I can't decide why - I think I just dislike the way the jacket sits in line with the belt?!!

 

Blogger entreflashes said ... (8:59 AM) : 

Hello!
First, sorry my English.
I love your blog, the real fashion is in the street.
Kisses from Spain

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:01 AM) : 

LOVE the first shot. Flapper meets goth - beautiful. Works wonderfully in black and white.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:02 AM) : 

This woman looks like she gets dressed in a hurry, there's an energy in her hair. The two tone shoes are cute but I'm not sure about the shoe strap cutting her legs in just the wrong spot. The belt is topsy turvy, the skirt could be a little longer, but somehow she still looks like she'd be great craic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:14 AM) : 

I would like to find out where that dress in the first photo is from. I'm dead serious. I NEED to find out!

 

Blogger Nihaal said ... (9:17 AM) : 

1st picture- nice shoes nice bag and nice shades.nice look

2nd picture - nice jacket. nice accessories

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:19 AM) : 

Love the shoes on the second lady (black with cream) and her hair style is smashing! The belt tuck and little fob that catches the sun as she walks is a subtle touch. Awesome!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:20 AM) : 

The outfit in the first photo is fabulous! From the wayfarers, to the dress, to the bag, to the sandals, the ensemble is perfect. Thanks for finding her, Scott.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 AM) : 

The lady at the 2nd picture look very nice. Her hair, shoes, bag, belt are perfect assessories to the plain dress. But, I still think woman her, and my, age should wear pantys.
Pantyhose is the most underestimated assessorie if you ask me.

 

Blogger OnTheCorner said ... (9:33 AM) : 

the second one looks a lot like the mother of lindsay lohan


but she´s not obviously. This woman is super chic

loves from argentina!

flor.

 

Blogger Pamcasso said ... (9:51 AM) : 

Both excellent looks, flattering, original, thanks for the daily inspiration!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 AM) : 

First shot v. cute, black bag meh. Second shot ouch! Way too much texture in the leg for a dress that short. Trying way too hard. Good belt. Nice jacket.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Mon Dieu!!! I just fell in love with the dress in the first picture ... anyone knows where it is from ?! pleaaase save me from my misery :)

Congrats to this girl anyway, she looks adorable.

Love from Paris

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:55 AM) : 

WHERE CAN I GET THE 1st DRESS????

2nd outfit would be much more flattering if the dress was a little longer & different shoes -- pretty hair tho!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:56 AM) : 

I agree with most people that the second woman should have opted for a different shoe and the length could be longer, but she looks more chic and put together than the first woman. The first woman, although well done, looks like she ripped a page out of a magazine on trends and went down the checklist.

 

Blogger Farrah said ... (9:58 AM) : 

I'd love to know where that first dress came from. It's beautiful, yet still manages to look low-maintenance.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:01 AM) : 

Lady with pleated dress, love your shoes..It's Chloe right? Knew I should have bought these..

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:02 AM) : 

B&W no 1 - what an amazing dress! Maybe more cocktail than daywear? I think more soignee hair might be better.

B&W no 2 - feels like there is a lot of energy here! I know many don't like ankle straps but with legs like this it's just fine. I like the horizontal gold - both wrists and the belt. And great hair!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:19 AM) : 

The first dress looks like something I've seen recently at Zara.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 AM) : 

Photo one! Wow. So lovely.

 

Blogger spring flowers said ... (10:32 AM) : 

Love love love the entire ensemble on the first pic. That dress is beautiful, and I love the contrast of the delicate, romantic femininity of the dress with the edgy sexy black shoes.

I would have liked the hemline longer on the second look. Granted, she's still got the legs at her age to wear something that short, but somehow the outfit lacks continuity.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

The first look is flawless. not trendy at all. she would be wearing a fringed scarf if that were the case!

 

Blogger Amelia said ... (10:55 AM) : 

I love the top one--the tiers and the texture on the dress are just fabulous. I think the second dress is too short, but the jacket is nice.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

I was going to say Dina Lohan too...
Paola

 

Blogger Resplendato said ... (11:10 AM) : 

The first dress is amazing with it's micro pleats and cascading ruffles!

 

Blogger STITCH said ... (11:17 AM) : 

The first one is stunning.

 

Blogger Andrea said ... (11:33 AM) : 

First pic is to die for, dress and shoes.

Second, pretty enough but for the super unfortunate shoes. Her left little toe is trying to escape while her right ankle is objecting strenuously. Not a good sign.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 AM) : 

i am very in love with look #1...wish i could see a bit more of the bag, but the detail that comes through in the dress is really amazing, i want it(and the shoes!)who is the maker? someone must know!

 

Blogger Violet Harrington Pickles said ... (11:38 AM) : 

Ahhh, am elated to see my favorite neutral combinations. The chic young woman is wearing the most gorgeous dress! Absolutely one of my favorite looks. The lady in the second photo is lovely, however darling, that ankle strap is death.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 AM) : 

actually nevermind the picture is perfect, head to toe!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:57 AM) : 

Why, those booties on the lady in the first photo don't seem to work at all.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 AM) : 

the first one is just so effortlessly cute and sexy. i love her hair and the way the dress fits her. the sunglasses, sandals and bag are all perfect too.

does anyone else think she has a bit of a julie delpy air to her?

i'm afraid i can't see anything exciting or interesting in the second one. the shoes and the bag are all wrong, in my opinion.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:10 PM) : 

They both look great, each one with a very different style. Do people really dress like this in NY? Gosh, I want to move there. Seattle sucks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:22 PM) : 

Is the girl on the 1st pic Natasha Poly? If not, she really looks like her and has a perfect figure for an ordinary woman!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:29 PM) : 

First look: complete love. Even shoes (which I wouldn't normaly care for) work perfect with this outfit. If someone knows where the dress is for, that'd be a fantastic piece of info. Second one: meh.

 

Blogger Jingoist said ... (12:29 PM) : 

While I've seen all the complimentary posts for the first picture- and I myself love her look and the dress- I cannot help but feel the shoes are too bulky and weigh her down in spite of the lighter feel the dress exudes. (And I do like the shoes, just not with the dress.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:36 PM) : 

The first woman reminds me of Heather Graham.

T.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:00 PM) : 

I adore the first look! Those open toe boots seem a difficult shape to pull off, but she does it with effortless grace.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:09 PM) : 

LOVE number 2-- i want to be like her in a couple years. i think the short hem length works well with the short jacket. and the belt makes it perfect.

while i love the dress on number 1, the accessories ruin the look for me. it looks like she thought, black dress- perfect excuse to use my trendy black accessories -- but it didn't really work. i wish that she wore the dress with a smaller bag and maybe some spectators (flat), or pumps? i'm not sure, but not those (cute but not with this dress) shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:21 PM) : 

I like both of these looks. (Guy perspective)
Lady #1 is my style for a woman. Natural, cool, un-forced, sense of self, her style flows from within. Love the pose as well.

Lady #2 Seems really fun and energetic. She hit's & misses from time to time but no biggy, enjoyment & cool stuff sometimes add up, and sometimes a little off. Every day is a new adventure. Unless you have the flu.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:30 PM) : 

First pic- Chloe shoes and really hard to walk in- the heel is cone shaped and if it doesn't hit you in the right place under the foot, it collapses. I know because I got them and later returned them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:35 PM) : 

A great examle of looking cool at different ages. I especially like how efortless the first look is.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:16 PM) : 

I LOVE the dress on the first woman. However, I hate to say it, but I think her accessories and her shoes really clunk it down and make it too heavy and forced.

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (2:22 PM) : 

Love the first woman's shoes. Are they Chloe?

 

Blogger thwany said ... (2:26 PM) : 

The second lady is MADELINE WEEKS, Fashion Director of GQ. She's cool, I love her.

 

Blogger Elle said ... (2:58 PM) : 

I adore the shoes in the first picture. And the second woman's outfit is classic New York. Great post!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:04 PM) : 

first pic: sweet

Kit

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:09 PM) : 

The woman in the first photo gives me a Kyra Sedgwick vibe. Both women are lovely.
California has nothing over NY when it comes to beautiful women.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:20 PM) : 

Second picture could do without ankle strap shoes and the belt, otherwise she looks great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:37 PM) : 

I like the lady above. The one on the bottom reminds me a bit of Dina Lohan though!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:52 PM) : 

I love the first dress and just like everyone else WHERE IS IT FROM because I want one too!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 PM) : 

Like others, I'm coveting that first dress. I just wish the accessories were not all so trendy.

The second woman somehow looks very quintessentially American to me. And I don't mean that in a bad way at all. Like she can walk gracefully in 4" heels, but also play a mean game of tennis.

 

Blogger Mark F said ... (4:35 PM) : 

Photo 2. No-one mentioned the brown bag. Maybe I'm too traditional after all but the bag doesn't work.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:36 PM) : 

is the bag in the 2nd photo bottega veneta?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:11 PM) : 

First dress is Fendi available at Berdorf Goodman

 

Blogger Natalie said ... (5:22 PM) : 

1st look: I like her attitude. I find interesting how she matches girly fluffy dress with slightly rough lacquered shoes, - nice contrast.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:26 PM) : 

I love the first one's dress. Very unique mixture of textures, fabric patterns, and silhouettes. Can't say I like the "open-toed boots" though...aren't those a bit impractical? ^^;

 

Blogger M. said ... (5:44 PM) : 

i just wanted to say that if you ever by a miracle should travel to Estonia (west of Russia), then you should definetly come to our university-town Tartu - lots of good/great-looking young and not so young people :) and the city is awsome without the people too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:50 PM) : 

Am I the only person who thinks that the woman in the first picture is Julie Delpy, or an exact look-alike? Beautiful, especially the hair, and the dress is lovely for summer.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:14 PM) : 

It's spring. I want color. Why is everyone trying to look European. The girls and outfits are GORGEOUS but I want a little color. Some reds, greens, yellows, even gray. Some Missoni or Pucci. Something. Just a little.

 

Blogger JO said ... (6:52 PM) : 

LOVE LOVE LOVE the first dress!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:46 PM) : 

The woman in the second picture has changed my entire perspective on what works. She's fantastic. Hot. All of it. Head to toe.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 PM) : 

fendi!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:57 PM) : 

Thanks to the helpful folk who pointed out the first dress' provenance. Fendi :-( Zara: perhaps, if I can find one here. But I'd *really* like to try and make it- unevenly spaced ruffles + placket= win.
Thank you Sartorialist!

 

Blogger lcoleman89@hotmail.com said ... (11:54 PM) : 

i think i'm in love with the first girl. SO CHIC

 

Blogger Jen said ... (12:14 AM) : 

Wow, the second lady looks a lot like Dina Lohan, but Dina Lohan is more freckly, I think...

Love EVERYTHING about the first picture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:31 AM) : 

The first portrait reminds me of the preppy girl who runs with the artists and djs-- her selection of strong, graphic designs worn in an uncomplicated and casual style is killer-- in other words, so quintessentially New York. She's awesome.

--PLO

 

Blogger Roxana Farahmand said ... (1:12 AM) : 

Absolutely love the first dress. So young and so fresh! The shoes go with it well but I'm just so tired of seeing those same shoes on everybody!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:14 AM) : 

First picture: very high-end fashion, but for once, executed very stylishly. The lady has taste. And despite the black it is a summery look. The dress with pleats and the white shoulder/collar part is gorgeous. The shoes make the look rock.

So, despite looking obiously dressed in a couple of thousand dollars, the look looks fresh and well-balanced -- not over the top, as with a lot of looks of that kind.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:52 AM) : 

fendi...that dress is $2570. of course, if only we could all afford it, then we'd look as good too.

sart-maybe you can do a piece on stylish outfits each less than $100 (or something)
also-whatever happened to the girl you were doing the makeover on?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:46 AM) : 

the lady in the first pic is so pretty. Great outfit ! I love how she has such class!!

Love the conservative outfit and the funky boots it makes it proper and funky at the same time. Love It!

 

Blogger raguandroses said ... (4:28 AM) : 

The girl in the first picture is so fresh and classy, I love the way she pulled off a great spring look wearing black, without making it too serious.And well, those Chloè shoes are a piece of art.As we would say in Italy: non fa un plissé!!!!!

 

Blogger Austin.Garnett said ... (11:36 AM) : 

OH! #1's shoes!!!!

 

Blogger Piztachio said ... (3:26 PM) : 

The first photo is lovely. The second is not so interesting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:12 PM) : 

The lady in the first dress seems to be swallowed by the entire ensemble; but, the concept is good (especially those shoes!!!) I especially like the belt the lady in the second photo chose, it really adds character to this otherwise seemingly ordinary outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:44 PM) : 

I know its not much much of a reduction but the dress in outfit #1 is now on sale for $1,928 on net-a-port.com and i believe there is something very similar at Zara!

 

Blogger Roxana Farahmand said ... (10:21 PM) : 

I agree, Sart you should try to do something on outfits less than $xxx dollars. I know it's not your thing, really, but it would be great since you are read by so many people, half of which I'm sure wouldn't be able to afford a dress like that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:43 PM) : 

I agree that the first photo looks like Julie Delpy, which might also explain the Fendi dress..

Great bag in photo two.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:53 AM) : 

Photo 1 - Gorgeous outfit including the shoes.
Photo 2 - Love the outfit but feel that the dress should be a bit longer -
Great shots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 PM) : 

first dress is fendi. perfect

http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/32013

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:56 PM) : 

and funny that everyone adores the chloe shoes as that was the first downfall I noticed

 

Blogger ZEROSCAPE said ... (1:55 AM) : 

1. 100% ATTITUDE

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:58 AM) : 

the fendi dress(1st pic) is availiable at net-a-porter!

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (8:11 AM) : 

Great looks!
The first one is perfection!

 

Blogger Jules Irene said ... (5:32 PM) : 

I love that Fendi dress in the first photo and it looks stunning on her! I love that she paired the delicate dress with chunky shoes. Beautiful shot.
xxx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 PM) : 

Both women look terrific. The second one is an all-American knockout.

 

Blogger ramona west said ... (12:26 PM) : 

i am in love with the first dress. i would raise the hemline just a bit by eliminating a ruffle or two. then it would have the perfect proportions (for me)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:36 PM) : 

I like the first outfit. The shoes look painful, though!
She kind of looks like Danielle Pestova.

 

Blogger amy said ... (10:08 AM) : 

top pic: i want to be her, today.

 

Blogger Raven said ... (2:31 PM) : 

Hmm, I'd say the second is black and creamor ivory or khaki maybe, which (in my opinion) looks much more chic and current than black and white. But perhaps I'm being picky ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:28 AM) : 

the lady on top is probably my favorite shot of yours! it's perfection. other great mentions from this year include louise at the louvre (feb '08), and that coat (jan '08). keep it up sart and i hope to run into you someday :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 PM) : 

Chloe rocks! The shoes are adorable and I love the black Heloise she's carrying.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:39 PM) : 

Chloe rocks I love her shoes and her black Heloise!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:41 PM) : 

with the addition of black tights, and this lady would be rockin' an amazing look.
Bare-naked legs on anyone just isn't as beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 PM) : 

Both of these shots are absolutely beautiful.

The woman in the 2nd photo looks sexy and in charge, but I must admit that my heart goes out to the first look. Totally chic, totally stunning.
And whoever wrote the comment about her being a Julie Delpy lookalike, I am TOTALLY with you on that one! Stunning.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:29 PM) : 

Finally- after months of keeping an eye open since seeing the first picture, I found out that The girl'd dress is Fendi. Pricey, but it's on sale now, and I ordered it from Net a Porter =] One of the most wearably beautiful dresses i've seen on The Satorialist ever.

 

Blogger Anisa said ... (3:08 PM) : 

HA! The first woman is definitely in one of Bill Cunningham's slideshows!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting