This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.... The Painter (as in Stage Sets), NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

On the Street.... The Painter (as in Stage Sets), NYC

Comments on "On the Street.... The Painter (as in Stage Sets), NYC"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:14 AM) : 

That's a genuine image

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:36 AM) : 

She is amazingly cool!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:39 AM) : 

BTW, Sart, you were on Postsecret this past Sunday :).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:57 AM) : 

she just looks so cool. the ultimate tomboy!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:58 AM) : 

funny. i thought she really wore those glasses.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:29 AM) : 

I LOVE this image! She's great!

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (9:31 AM) : 

the pendant (specs) is cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 AM) : 

That's so gritty! I just want to growl when I see this picture. And that little necklace is such a fantastic touch.

Energie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 AM) : 

No make over needed.
She knows who she is and is not afraid to show it.

Go ahead and get it, woman!

Felicia
www.nearandfar.wordpress.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:47 AM) : 

Amazing. So sexy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 AM) : 

love the necklace

 

Blogger trulymadlydeeply said ... (10:08 AM) : 

ain't nothin but a g-thaang baybay!

 

Blogger divasoul said ... (10:21 AM) : 

I love this. So comfortable in who she is cool.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:21 AM) : 

I'm a new regular to the blog and this is the best i've seen to date. Outfit is hot but her inner cool is reflected in this one and it makes the pic. Good eye, dear sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 AM) : 

yeah, definitely SEXY! she just gives off such a good vibe. i hope she really is happy in her life, because seeing this photo of her today really made me happy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:39 AM) : 

I love the extra touch of the paintbrush holster! Fantastic. She's so androgynous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 AM) : 

this is what Alison Lurie, in her great book, "The Language of Clothes" calls the,"artists are workers too" look. working-class creds for Vassar art history grads.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (11:01 AM) : 

Wow - what a portrait. The expression is intense and the clothes - colours and fabrics - are perfectly suited. Love the sunnies necklace too!

 

Blogger SB said ... (11:02 AM) : 

i love it! unconsciously cool

 

Blogger Clar Juico said ... (11:10 AM) : 

what a thinspiration

 

Blogger Jaime said ... (11:16 AM) : 

That is *hot*.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 AM) : 

love her hair!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 AM) : 

Funny, I thought "she" was a "he".

 

Blogger Ashe said ... (11:39 AM) : 

She's so confident, yet disaffected, sexy, and androgynous. I love the casualness of her and how she's so fierce.

In many ways, this woman is New York.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:41 AM) : 

that is one bad ass shot. i love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:10 PM) : 

She's nice! Strong, raw image, but a different style of strength from the ones of Hyeres. I love your portraits that capture the style of the individual-- and this is one of them :-) Excellent.

--PLO

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:26 PM) : 

Best one to date :)

There's such an understated composure to it.

 

Blogger Hijabi Apprentice said ... (12:27 PM) : 

strong, beautiful, sexy and tough!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:34 PM) : 

This woman is Sexy!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 PM) : 

oh man. she is hot. and unbelievably cool.

 

Blogger Luciernaka said ... (12:50 PM) : 

wow. I totally want to make out with her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:16 PM) : 

Very hardcore.

She looks like Tony Jaa from Ong Bak.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:19 PM) : 

I'm in love!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:32 PM) : 

I wonder if the specs are reading glasses. Probably not, at her age, but I need em, man! I need a reading glasses necklace.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (1:40 PM) : 

Way to look cool while doing your job!
LOVE the eyeglass necklace!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:45 PM) : 

my husband was a scenic artist when we first met and i remember thinking he looked his sexiest when he had on his paint-splatterd clothes and a work-belt.

she is beautiful - i hope she has a lover who appreciates her in this work mode!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:31 PM) : 

uh, perfect! (in love.)

but sart, besides, what about phoenix?!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:49 PM) : 

Everything down to the tattoo on her arm, says "cool".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:56 PM) : 

reminds me of the tahitian women that gauguin painted. she has the kind of facial bone structure that doesn't need any make-up. i envy that about her!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:03 PM) : 

The subject's androgyny is definitely the most intriguing aspect of this image. You immediately want to know more about this person...

 

Blogger Wilhelmina Hernández said ... (3:16 PM) : 

Does anyone know the meaning behind those square arm tats? I've been seeing them around an awful lot lately.

Also: love the necklace and the paint-splattered jeans.

 

Blogger rosemary said ... (3:36 PM) : 

oh, wow, i'm in love.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:00 PM) : 

she's sexy cool!!

K

 

Blogger Caroline said ... (4:22 PM) : 

sart! any chance you will be in Firenze this summer? I will be studying the whole month of july and beginning of august.

 

Blogger sarah said ... (4:36 PM) : 

I used to be a painter: sets, museum exhibitions, mural restoration... and this is EXACTLY the outfit I would wear everyday - attitude included. I always thought people were judging my paint spattered pants, shirt, arms, glasses... but now I realize they were simply wishing they had a creative job - what I find myself thinking as I look at her.

Grass is always greener.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:34 PM) : 

the colors, the paint, the ...everything. Great photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:36 PM) : 

If I saw her in real life, I'd try to be frineds with her. Very charming (yes- rather than "tough") and interesting aura.

 

Blogger aviewaskew said ... (6:10 PM) : 

so siouxsie without needing make-up~attitude is everything...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:44 PM) : 

in case you didn't know, there is a funny comment referencing you, "the Satorialist Photographer", on the PostSecret blog: www.postsecret.blogspot.com

thought you might find it entertaining...

xxjessica from paris

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:06 PM) : 

All attitude. Love it.

 

Blogger Ariel said ... (7:14 PM) : 

I like her jeans. I don't know if anyone's told you this yet already but someone sent in a secret to Post Secret that had to do with you.

http://silkandleather.blogspot.com

I put it on my blog. I linked you to that rather than to post secret because the guy takes down the secrets after a few days.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:48 PM) : 

YEAH S.P.!!
You know who I am, congrats on being featured...you're taking everybody to drool school, obviously!

 

Blogger pepastyling said ... (7:52 PM) : 

I'd like to see her paintings!

 

Blogger matt williams said ... (8:27 PM) : 

I love a soft looking androgynous chic. She gets it right.

 

Blogger Hanna said ... (9:06 PM) : 

My goodness that's a woman? Oh well, doesn't matter, I'd still kill for those jeans. Better than Dolce and Gabbana could ever make it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 PM) : 

i LOVE the necklace...does anyone know where i can find one like that??

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 PM) : 

truly fierce! she's not afraid to get a little dirty.

love the hair and glasses necklace.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (11:08 PM) : 

Willa - I think those square blocked tats are just covers of old tats. She probably had her ex-girflriend's name on her arm and wanted it off.

She's rockin' the L.A. chic butch cool thing. Like Sunday's at the Abby after a little painting. Yummy.

 

Blogger Ann (MobayDP) said ... (11:26 PM) : 

Some people just have this amazing ability to be cool and sexy...even with paint on.

I think this is a brilliant shot Sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:47 PM) : 

This picture captures my dear friend. she looks so amazing, and this is so her. I love it, wonderful shot!! xx n

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:21 AM) : 

Dear Sart:

Did you see the Postsecret entry about you: Every morning when I get dressed I think to myself: "Would the Sartorialist photograph me wearing this?"

That's genius! I do the same thing. :)Keep up the good work, and the excitement around town in these bad times.

Love ya!

Until we meet, xoxo

 

Blogger Wontons said ... (12:30 AM) : 

That belt is so perfect. Ties everything together, literally and figuratively. I want to BE this woman.

 

Blogger anonymous said ... (3:02 AM) : 

How funny -- I do quite a bit of painting (housepainting; mostly interiors, with varying degrees of creativity/artistry involved), and today, as I got yet another t-shirt covered in paint spatters, I was thinking to myself "Hmm, I wonder if it would be possible to make 'paint-spattered' a new fashion trend."

And now I think it just might be... way to go, Sart! Thanks for this!

~IHOP
http://totallykickassparties.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:18 AM) : 

far away gaze,
hip and glam!

 

Blogger Julie Morgan said ... (4:38 AM) : 

Great pic. Nice tomboy look.

 

Blogger Cerisa said ... (4:51 AM) : 

I love this image

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:48 AM) : 

Very nice! Love the way she casually enjoys her camel. nice lines in the pic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:01 AM) : 

cool outfit!
:-)

 

Blogger cat minoki said ... (8:24 AM) : 

Has anyone noticed the black gloves and her hand, holding the cigarette?

This gloved hand with the cigarette reminds me of the grace of Coco Chanel or Katherine Hepburn!
Something absolutely lady-ish and elegant! And then her made-up hair!

A Diva in disguise!?!?!??!

 

Blogger g said ... (12:25 PM) : 

fierce !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:33 PM) : 

What a statement, art to the first degree....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:41 PM) : 

Damn, she's good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:45 PM) : 

Far Away Gaze,
Hip And Glam!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:00 PM) : 

That necklace looks like the old-school version made by Tatty Devine a few years ago - don't know if they still make them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:04 PM) : 

Would you have photographed her if it weren't for the gloves? The outfit strikes me as more utilitarian than anything.

 

Blogger my little apartment said ... (2:18 AM) : 

she makes me want to be a lesbian.

hot
hot
hot

love that jawline and the collarbone. and the lips. and the hair. and the cheekbones. oh, and the whole outfit/necklass/smoking thing too.

SWOON!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:25 AM) : 

So damn hot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

these comments about her being a lesbian are so rude to me. why döes she have to be a lesbian?

not all of us are "girlie-girls". söme of us reamin tomboys until a very late age. i, for one, am just such a woman. the desire to dress and present myself in a more feminine manner came very late to me.

regardless, she has a style that is so cool which testifies that she is comfortable in her own skin. why make suspect references to her sexuality?

 

Blogger amyw said ... (12:48 PM) : 

I love this picture. It's probably one of my favorite Sartorialist pictures, actually. I love when the subject is so comfortable and confident that it looks like they could pull off wearing a paper sack.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:10 PM) : 

I'm having a very hard time trying to figure out if that's a woman or a man.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:45 PM) : 

The female James Dean. Hot!

 

Blogger WigWagBam! said ... (2:23 AM) : 

my god that is cool. she actually has the nerve to paint in white pants. love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:31 PM) : 

this is one of the most gorgeous women i've ever seen! thank you for the post, i love her hair like burning.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:15 AM) : 

butch-tastic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:55 AM) : 

What's really APPEALING and REFRESHING about this woman is her natural stance. Usually on this site, you'll see a bunch of generic looking white women all dolled up in uber-end fashion. Most of the time, they don't even look great to me because their whole outfit and pose seems so contrived. This woman, however, is the polar opposite: she's asian, has a quirky faux hawk do', no make-up and looks absolutely fabulous in her paint splattered clothes. Plus, we can't ignore her glasses pendant or beautiful full lips! She just radiates natural coolness--which is rare in NYC these days! This is what NYC look is about; individuality, which has been missing now. Hail to those women who don't need a stupid $2,000 bag to look good!
Scott, this is truly what we need to see more of on this site!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:28 PM) : 

touch me with your naked hand or touch me with your glove...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:22 AM) : 

she is delightful

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:48 PM) : 

I think the necklace is kidviskous

 

Anonymous KidViskous said ... (3:25 AM) : 

YES that is a KidViskous Mini Spex necklace, one of my babies!

As a jewelry designer, I'm so glad to have a piece featured on the Sartorialist!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting