This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Bold Layers, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, February 14, 2008

On the Street.....Bold Layers, NYC


This look is taken to a whole new level with the unexpected layer of bold blue in a basically neutrally colored/colorless look.

Again, if you take this photo as inspiration you can achieve a similar feel at almost any price point, in almost an city around American or the world.

Maybe the coat is replaced by a green parka or the shoes are different, the specifics of the look matter less than the idea of what a brilliant pop of unexpected color can do to elevate a look.

To me, that is the inspiration of a look like this, the actual cost of the items or the fact that she is an editor is irrelevant.

Comments on "On the Street.....Bold Layers, NYC"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 AM) : 

Sart, I would respectfully have to disagree. The fact that she's a Vogue editor (which means the cost of the items is most likely "nothing" or "next to nothing") means a great deal. Yes, she is clearly a stylish young woman with a great eye for mixing color and proportion, but to pretend economics and availability don't have an effect on a finished look is misleading and naive. Most people don't look this great because they simply cannot afford the type of high-quality, well-designed (read: prohibitively expensive) clothes shown here.

These fashion week editor/buyer shots are fun to look at, but they are nowhere near as interesting (to me, at least) as the shots you take of non-fashion-industry civilians the rest of the time.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:48 AM) : 

Why so defensive? She's awsome, though I personally don't feel ready for a 1990s revival yet.

 

Blogger Alysa said ... (8:51 AM) : 

Remember that time when you shot young people wearing cheaper clothing? I thought that was brilliant. I hope you do it again.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (8:59 AM) : 

Exactly! Ideas to inspire and individually interpret - fabulous!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:17 AM) : 

I'm also thinking that belts over cardigans is something that could be explored by quite a few people (inc me!) as well!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:19 AM) : 

I love this woman's face.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:27 AM) : 

This is the first time in a long time that an outfit has caused my eyes to jump out of my head. So classy and bold! Love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 AM) : 

her sweater is perfection with the brown belt!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 AM) : 

Well, yes. But when did you last present a picture of someone doing a similar look at budget price point? This lady looks fab but I do think the quality of what she's wearing shouts more loudly than the colour idea. Also doesn't the look dissolve when she takes off the coat? I wonder if she'd agree with your comments?

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:37 AM) : 

For Anon 8:43
are you telling me that the only way you can put together a great unexpected color combination is to spend a lot of money?

you're response is a perfect example of the person that cant see the forest for the trees.

like i said in the post the items don't matter for the inspiration

you could do this type of idea from Club Monaco and American Apparel or Nordstrom and Banana Republic. Maybe not as dressed up (that is why I mentioned the parka ,right) but the point of the post is not to duplicate the look put to analyze what makes the look special and that is the surprising pop of color.
put the blue cardigan with the look in "7th Ave"
and it could be quite cool

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:39 AM) : 

for anon 9:36
look at the recent post called "Adorable"
just as good and just as good a reaction for a fraction of the price.

 

Blogger momo said ... (9:47 AM) : 

As someone who does not have a lot of money, I can attest to the inspiration of an idea rather than a brand name. I'm still noticing that almost all of the women in the last several pictures have chosen to wear grey tights instead of black! Now if only the temps would get above zero where I live, I could follow through on that particular bit of inspiration!

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (10:03 AM) : 

This is a great photo, Sart. I love her look! Thumbs up. I see what you mean by the unexpected flash of colour. It definitely works here. I have a particular liking for her shoes. Of course, it helps that she is uncommonly beautiful. Please, don't waste your time replying to the doubters and naysayers. Everyone reacts differently to your photos.

 

Blogger Jaci S said ... (10:08 AM) : 

I aggree with you Sart, you don't have to have a lot of $ to look great and when i saw this pic, i immediately thought of what i have in my closet and what i could do like that. that is what i think you are trying to say. thanks for the inspirations!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 AM) : 

does anyone know where I can get the sweater? it's such a nice colour!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:24 AM) : 

Yes I don’t think color combination has anything do to with price, this outfit could be thrown together for less than $10… such ugly pieces coming together so well, it’s crude and brilliant.

 

Blogger Lee S. said ... (10:26 AM) : 

I think Sart's comments have been misunderstood, and that what he is saying is that you can recreate her look without the egregious expense of implementing the exact pieces she is wearing = e.g., the "actual cost of the items." So although she has access to amazing high end pieces, that is not the reason why the look works. I agree!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 AM) : 

A brown bag would make the look complete, and the steel grey tights balance well against the blue. Brown tights would have thrown this off and would have been too heavy against the cream and brown shoes.
Agree very replicable...the kicker is knowing which colour pops on your own hair/skin combination and going with it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 AM) : 

Scott, please don't let the comments get to you - you have integrity and you have never deviated from your original vision. There will always be complainers no matter what you do. For anyone to suggest that they couldn't recreate some of these outfits at any price point says something about their fashion vision - not about you.
This look is again inspirational and so are you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

She's tall and pretty and I bet she will look uniquely put-together no matter what she throws on. If I attempt a similar look with lesser quality knicknacks, I'll probably end up on the last page of Marie Claire's "dos & don't". This outfit is a result of tremendous confidence and well stocked closet. Not an easy look for everyone to pull off, honestly. Not sure about stocking with open-toe shoes either.

 

Blogger Dianna said ... (10:55 AM) : 

I agree, it's all about the pop of vibrant color, which can be achieved at any price point. And, I do love the belted cardigan as well. Truly inspiring.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (10:59 AM) : 

Fantastic mix! Love the bright blue peeking out from the muted coat. And agreed, this concept could be executed for very little money, using Uniqlo, H&M, Old Navy, even vintage finds, with a great shoe of course.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM) : 

I love the flash of blue. It's such a lovely colour and I feel inspired by the way the cardigan is belted. Something that a mere mortal like me could even try!
I have to ask though, am I the only one who doesn't like these big clunky sandals? Am I just too attached to my Converse and ballet pumps?
Thanks for always brightening up my day with your fab photos.
SD (A Scottish lass living in Paris)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:24 AM) : 

I love the idea of this outfit! I don't understand the fixation on $. That to have style or look good takes money. Or that those with money look better. Take one look at Paris Hilton and tell me that having money = good style.
Yes more expensive items are usually of a better quality but that's not always the case. And just because something is expensive doesn't mean it is going to fit better. Theory pants will still look like crap if they are saggy on your butt and dragging on the ground. And Old Navy can look fab if it's tailored.
Taking a look you love and finding items in your budget to emulate it/making it your own is what fashion is all about!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 AM) : 

I love this and i saw her on another site without the coat and she stilled looked fab - yes the individual bits look expensive but its how they are put together, the tights, shoes, belt, amazing blue cardi - i love it and learnt from it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 AM) : 

Nice, nice, nice... I love her shoes...

 

Blogger runway today said ... (12:06 PM) : 

I love the idea of this look, the layering, the shape and the colors are all perfect in this combination, so yes I def. get inspired by this and I agree with the Satorialist. It is not about the expensive/ designer clothes, but the idea behind this outfit, and with a little bit of creativity this could be easily translated into a more "budget" outfit but with the same idea.

After all, most of the time it's about the person who wears the clothes so you'll have to work it yourself and don't hide behind the "price tag"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 PM) : 

I love the coat. Anyone know who designed it? Love her hair also.

 

Blogger Richard said ... (12:11 PM) : 

I love this girl's look as well. The jacket is perfect, and I am very fond of the shoes & stockings. I wish more girls wore stockings of this sort.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:34 PM) : 

love love love those shoes! this is definitely an inspiration for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:05 PM) : 

A great shot, and thanks for the comments too ... it's always a great benefit to get some insight into what makes you take a certain picture, especially when you take so many photos where it's one particular element that catches your eye.

Love that blue, btw.

 

Blogger Mai said ... (1:11 PM) : 

i like that the blue pops and changes the "feel" of an outfit. commentary aside, to look contemplate fashion is to dream.

 

Blogger Post-it boy said ... (1:13 PM) : 

Love the blue cardi. Inward pointing feet again. Nice

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:31 PM) : 

Love the color of the sweater, the coat is wonderful. Together they are inspiring.
Although I must admit I hate the tights and shoes.
--Chaos

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:44 PM) : 

I'm gonna break that outfit down on the cheap, right quick.

Coat and belt--grandma's closet or thrift store

Cardigan--uniqlo, banana republic, discount stores, casual corner (yes I said it), or plus size stores for proportion. For, the world is now awash with a card.

Dress--discount stores again for those last Spring pickings or a thin sweater dress

Shoes--back of the closet, the nineties are a comin

Stockings--Calvin Klein, DKNY, or since money's left over fogal

Bag--the most sumptuous one your or your best friend's got

Earrings--(I'm assumings she's wearing some) Marcasite.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:10 PM) : 

I think that we have to have some sympathy for the naysayers here: it's hard not to feel discouraged (not to mention envious!) seeing people who look fabulous in expensive clothing. Clothes give me such pleasure, and I aim to dress with style, but i'd bet the cost of this woman's coat alone surpasses my yearly clothing budget.

But Sart's point is well taken, even if it needs some time to sink in. That said, how she has combined her pieces here in terms of both colour and proportion is definitely worth studying, and I absolutely love the look of tights with open shoes -hers are particularly amazing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:16 PM) : 

But the fact that she is an editor, as well as the cost IS relevant. Because you took a shot of her.

 

Blogger meemo said ... (2:31 PM) : 

I'm going to agree that it doesn't take a lot of money to put together a fantastic looking outfit. This one is not particularly tailored and yet looks great.

I am always inspired by a friend of mine, who has not always had a lot of money, spends most of her time in thrift stores and always looks amazing (although it doesn't hurt that she is Parisian and therefore has a wonderful sense of style by default).

I have found that for people who are seriously interested in fashion, money is not an issue, and the ones who cannot afford to buy a look pre-put together usually have a better nack at creating an inspirational ensemble.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:17 PM) : 

I consider her look a nice variation of your Rodarte shot from a couple days ago. The belted cardigan and charcoal grey tights unifying elements that are so easy to adopt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:02 PM) : 

I wonder where this blue is close to real: on your picture or on this http://whowhatweardaily.com/website/full_article.php?id=538

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:07 PM) : 

I love the brown and gray stuff you've been showing lately. I need some gray tights, apparently-- they look great here, and in the last few photos you've shown them... and can be had for quite cheap. ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:37 PM) : 

That bolt of blue, she is fantastic. Every shot of her has been oustanding. She knows how to mix it up brilliantly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:52 PM) : 

The coat mimics the wall. The blue is indeed bold but overall, I do not appreciate this look. A bright pink bag would be fun.

 

Blogger Miss Cavendish said ... (4:59 PM) : 

Love the blue; love the open-toe clunky shoes with tights.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:15 PM) : 

NYC ladies need to get out of the " black box "..... of all things to fear colors not one! I'm personaly more afraid of uggs and flip flops! I see the colors pp wear as a reflection of their personality... I can imagine all those pp are that boring!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:56 PM) : 

What a wonderful shot. Her coat is a wonderful tone in with the brick wall behind her.I have not doubt as many readers mention that this look costs quite a pretty penny, however it is very easily duplicated at a fraction of the price IF you have the style where-with-all to think of it in the first place. Vintage stores, second hand stores, and basically just a colour under neutral tweed would work. Let's not forget this woman is also probably 6 feet tall and is staggeringly attractive. It helps!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:01 PM) : 

This is such a lovely outfit and the moment I saw it I felt like I wanted emulate it. Thank you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:04 PM) : 

I'm not really angered or inspired by this outfit...but I am surprised at the way everyone is going on about the 'belted cardigan'. This is an old (in fashion terms!) sub-trend, that has become mainstream in the last few months. Many people (mainly women) are doing it - many people featured on this blog are doing it. To me, it's cute and fun, but certainly not original or inspiring - it's total trend-following. Secondly, the shoes, the classic Chloe-esque clompy sandals with tights - black or grey...again- been going around for ages, many people are doing it, I can't see what is so inspiring about it. Yes, it has a certain ironic charm - the clompiness and earthy brown/camel leather against the height of heels and stockings, but it's so everywhere!!! I don't expect people ('civilians' or fashion ed. types)to always be directional or super-fashion forward but this blatant sheep-like dressing. Looks fine - fun and interesting even, but getting pretty overdone I think.

 

Blogger Karmander said ... (6:24 PM) : 

I am inspired by this look as I am with every look on this blog. I don't actually like the ensamble for myself. I would NEVER wear that jacket period. But something with similar colors and maybe a cool chartreuse cardigan and a dark red bag...It just lets your mind wander into the chasm of many possibilities. Of course, the educated eye can see the "price tag" on a lot of these items, but lets be honest, most of america could never tell the difference between a Phillip Lim Cardigan and one bought at Old Navy. It's just the sad truth.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:54 PM) : 

Hi Sart,
Anon 8:43 here again. Actually, I was not at all trying to imply that you have to spend tons of $$ to get a great look or have great style - quite the opposite, in fact. (And which is why I mentioned that I find your non-fashion industry shots to be much more interesting - because the folks shown have to work a bit harder to find their great pieces, and so their style seems a bit more authentic and, well, cooler to me. But then I work in the industry, too, so maybe I'm just burnt out on seeing the same people at the shows and again on the site.)

I was just stating that in this particular case, for me, the small details of her look (the metal trim on the shoes, the obvious heft and quality of the bag, the luxe weave of the coat) takes this look a level that is usually not possible if you're not wearing designer clothes, only because most mass garments just don't have the same attention to detail. When I look at this, the blue/brown combo is less striking than the little ancillary bits mentioned above that give the look depth.

 

Blogger philip said ... (7:53 PM) : 

I agree with Sart, and I'll even take the argument further than price point. It's possible to dress to impress not only on a budget, but ethically as well. Personally, I only buy clothing that is either made in the States or made my companies who allow their workers to unionize. I'm not an evangelist about it, and I'm not out throwing paint on anyone; it's just my own personal pledge to the world.

I read/view your blog every day for inspiration, and always manage to pull together an outfit that's not only dirt cheap, but clean concience. And to top it all, I am consistently noted as one of the better dressed of my friends, colleagues and social circle. It's the look, the ideas, the art, the combinations.. .not the price or the label.

Keep up the good work, Sart. YOU are an inspiration.

 

Blogger Habitually Chic said ... (8:24 PM) : 

The funny thing about this outfit is that I saw another editor at Vogue wearing the same coat the next day. Makes me wonder if they both own it or if one borrowed it from the other or if they both borrowed it from the fashion closet. I like this look but it's one better left to the fashion editors. If I walked outside in the middle of winter wearing sandals and tights, I'm sure I'd get some crazy looks. I also doubt she has ever set foot on the subway like normal New Yorkers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:32 PM) : 

A great transition to spring as we start to add more color gradually into our attire. The money issue: quality is quality and it shows whether it be brand new designer label or really cheap second hand that someone else didin't want. I honestly think that I could put something together like this with some nice woolen wear that I have bought at thrift store bag sales.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:39 PM) : 

I'm in love
[scrolling]
I'm in LOVE
[scrolling]
I'M IN LOVE
[scrolling]
wait - Paris Hilton designs for Dr. Scholl?

Seriously, the shoes are a good attempt at solving a hard problem - what to pair with woolens, but they're still ugly

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (10:07 PM) : 

Scott, the question is...why do you find this example so exceptional in terms of price point? I DO agree, but why do you take a moment to reflect on this one and don't about any other image on the same issue?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:14 PM) : 

this is the first picture in a while that has caught my attention... i think due mainly to the fact of the winter weather and fashion week. i am very much looking forward to seeing some lighter, more colorful clothing in spring, on everyday people sart finds on the street.

 

Blogger stacy (la, ca) said ... (11:25 PM) : 

Interesting url, sventlana nl! ... And reassuring that Scott's portrait of Valerie Bolster is far superior to the shot of her in whowhatweardaily.com.

And Scott's point about price points is totally right! The lesson is about composition, not the price of the components. This trend of wearing a harmony of neutrals accented by a single item with popping color is very effective ... I've got a pair of teal slingback heels by Chinese Laundry that I wear with a combination of blacks and grays, and the single popping color is very fetching! Maybe Spielberg gave birth to this idea in Shindler's List, with the "Girl in the Red Coat." The effect works great, whether in motion pictures, on a Vogue editor, or on those of us on a budget, who can still put together great style like this without spending a fortune.

 

Blogger photolexx said ... (12:54 AM) : 

I love her cardigan, the colour is just gorgeous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:21 AM) : 

I am actually surprised with all the square heads that commented in this one. Fashion is everywhere from the tents in Bryant park to Tompkins Sqr Park in the EV, and Scott has a great eye for this. This look is fabulous. And the fact that she is where she is in life does have to do with her taste and creativity, not money. Enough said!

kiss kiss,

r

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:30 AM) : 

Anon 8:43 who became Anon 6:54, I hear you. I think the truth of the thing is that it is a little insincere to think that the price of your clothes does not matter, that just defies logic. I am not saying that you cannot look good on budget, not at all, but really, becuase of the workmanship, the quality, the little details, its easier to look good on expensive items than on cheap ones, plain and simple. Better get back to work then to afford even half of that damn coat!

Energie

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (3:44 AM) : 

I notice from this and previous posts that grey stockings are a strong trend in New York these days. There have always been a great basic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:51 AM) : 

love the YSL downtown bag and the platform shoes.

but i'll pass on the coat, i don't think a 5'4" person like me can pull it off. the lady in the photo looks statuesquely tall maybe around 5'11".

nevertheless, this photo is such an inspiration for me.

thanks sart.

 

Blogger CPM said ... (4:23 AM) : 

I look at the photos for inspiration as well. Maury has to be one of my favs. So shoot the editors, insiders, or the paper boy, for me it's all art. and I love your photos.

But the $$$ thing is tougher. . . there is a difference in how clothes "fit" when they are made well. Unfortunately, made well tends to be more expensive as well.

For men's clothes, I think its a bit easier, but for women, I think it's harder. The knockoffs or less expensive pieces never seem to fit quite right ( even if you take em to a tailor ), AND they tend not to be as durable.

Rachel Pally and American Apparel make a similar women's dress that can be tied/wrapped in a multitude of ways. . . you can't hold a candle to the way the RP dress fits over the AA dress. . . there is a huge difference.

I think it is harder (not impossible) to look great unless you can plump down for a few items. . .
cm

 

Blogger deryik said ... (6:39 AM) : 

i think without the coat, it would be a little too summer-ish, but then comes the tights... im not sure if i'd enjoy it as much. still, i think a scarf of that blue would go with any brown and just make my day :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:57 AM) : 

I´m not a great fan of the brown-blue combination but this works beautifully! I can´t think of a way in which you could possibly improve it... It´s fantastic!!! I agree with you Sart, you can pull this off with any budget, it doesn´t have to be with this exact same items. It´s about taking the idea of this look and put it togeather in your own personal way... maybe you won´t look as fabulous as she does or maybe you will, it depends on you...

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (7:58 AM) : 

maria
I commented on this one because i had a few extra minutes to write yesterday before I started shooting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:23 AM) : 

Dear Sart, I agree with your comments wholeheartedly. I said something similar regarding the beautiful boy from Paris.

However, in this case it seems to me that she is paying a lot just to look ordinary.

Considering she is wearing a classic Balenciaga-style cocoon coat, she should smarten it up a bit and wear something underneath besides American Apparel-type jersey. I'm also surprised at the comments about the blue cardigan. What's unusual about it? Try LL Bean!


She would look dynamic and young if she had on a snug, high necked dress in an eye-popping colour that echoed the smooth lines in her classic coat. (I'm troubled that she has nothing around her neck) Plus some Maude Frizons on her feet.

In my humble opinon, good design is always about proportion and balance. The same goes for fashion and graphic design as well. And I'm talking way back to Toulouse-Lautrec.

You find a colour family and you run with it. You find a weight of fabric and you don't veer too far from it. The separate elements of an outfit can be tied together with a similar colour. That's why "On the Street..36th St., NYC" and "Young Paris part 2" and "Time Warp, Florence" and the gent with the plaid pants in "Mad Mix, Paris" look so good. This so-called bold layering, to use a metaphor, is like roast beef floating in a gravy of grape Kool-aid.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 PM) : 

Don't know if anyone noted it, but the coat is by Thakoon. I tried it on but at 5'2" didn't get quite the same effect. More like I was mid-metamorphosis.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 PM) : 

Maybe if she looked like a women I would care. Everyone just needs to stop focusing on clothes and focus on the overall feel.
I would never look at her and think what a beautiful women. What a wonderful energy she carries inside herself. She is just another hanger.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:41 PM) : 

I find that after years of black black black, I'm craving color. So I appreciate this look!

Also, one of the realities of life is that some people have the ability to look like a million bucks even when they don't have much money, while others can look "off" even when they've spent a lot of money on their clothing. I learned this one from observing a couple of old college pals as they traversed their 30s and 40s!

 

Blogger ricpic said ... (4:50 PM) : 

Those high heels must take a toll over the course of a work day. What are they, 5 inches?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 PM) : 

Gotta call your argument of "good style at any price" out on its complete inconsistencies to what you have personally showed and said many many times right here on this blog.

You show so many stylish men, as the majority of your male posts, wearing bespoke suits and very clearly high quality trappings to go with said suits. These are in no way Old Navy or some other lower price store. These are again and again, your personal fashion heroes and you deconstruct their style. These men are not shopping inexpensively. anywhere. Cary Grant did not shop at the 50's equivalent of Target.

Yet you presume to give fashion advice to women telling them that you can get great style at any price. Well by that same argument, are you purchasing your suits from H & M? I mean they carry suits and nicely patterned dress shirts.

Oh yeah. That is right. Higher prices mean better fabrics, better pattern makers, better cutting of patterns, better paid tailors to fit the garments, on and on. Fit is the biggest difference and taking a $ 10 pair of pants to a tailor at $30-50, or more, doesn't make that argument legit

You make such a fuss letting us know about the years you spent in the fashion business but a real fashion business person knows that lower price actually does mean lower quality. Anything different is an anomaly.

When you go to make an argument, actually have the ability to credibly back it up.

 

Blogger Blotto Bill said ... (1:44 AM) : 

I agree with Sart. The fact that she is a Vogue editor means she has limitless access to clothes most of us can only dream to wear. But it is not the price or the luxurious character of her clothes that makes her outfit so perfect. It is her carefully chosen combination of colors of textures. It is brilliantly executed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:45 AM) : 

She looks great, yes, nothing to do with higher priced goods. I actually own a pair of grey tights and was thinking of pairing them with my brown sandals one of these days with a dress and maybe a parka even.
I would fight to death (metaphorically speaking of course!) anyone who would tell me i don't look as good as she does...

 

Blogger Lee S. said ... (3:56 PM) : 

On the subject of 'the look for a little less' you can find her Marni shoes (style versions thereof) on ebay for a pretty good deal.

Cheers!

 

Blogger a reference said ... (11:49 PM) : 

I just like the proportions more than anything. That is what makes it work.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 AM) : 

I have to agree with Lexi that this outfit is rather uninspiring. It looks way too put together, much like it was styled for a magazine (hmmm, Vogue editor)and rather difficult to wear in real life. The belt over the cardigan, which looks great in pictures and is wonderful in theory, constantly needs readjustment in everyday situations, like getting up from one's desk, or bending over, or taking off a coat. One of the tests of an outfit, I think, is how it readjusts to all of the body's positions.

However, the pieces are wonderful, the blue is stunning, and I love the stockings with the sandals, which are, in all of their ugliness, wonderful. I love the stocking trends of the last few years and really, really would love them to stay.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (7:37 AM) : 

for Anon 11:09
have you even looked at this blog?

i think you are missing a lot of what is here

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:52 PM) : 

The color combination is fun but the outfit as a whole seems impractical for most New Yorkers that do a lot of walking. It looks made for posing/preening. Belts do require frequent adjustment. And running around NYC in 5 inch heels? Hello bunions!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:15 AM) : 

no one has even mentioned the HAIR! her highlights are so heavily streaked and I'm loving it! I've not seen this striped effect in awhile and it looks new and fresh to me. the length is working with the long pretty face.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:32 PM) : 

Love the combination. That blue is gorgeous. I wish there was a little more of it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:48 AM) : 

It's not the price of the clothes but her unusual beauty that makes this outfit impractical for most humans. The average women would look like a crazy bag lady in that coat.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting