This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

It Shouldn't Work...But It Does, Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

It Shouldn't Work...But It Does, Paris

Graphic, Pastels,, Utilitarian, Florals - it takes a talent to make such disparate elements look so harmonious together


From a response in the comments section
"again, for me, this is about inspiration - maybe you see mixing just two of the four elements in a new way and that in itself is worth it to me

I rarely think of mixing graphic patterns with a pastels but I might remember this when I am starting to put together early spring outfits - maybe a houndstooth jkt with a pastel tie, cream pants and suede monk strap shoes

that is what I see when I look at this from my perspective."

Comments on "It Shouldn't Work...But It Does, Paris"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:21 AM) : 

If you grow tired of cleanness, non-linear silhouettes, pastels and black (observing recent posts), you must come to Oxford in England some day. I have just moved here from art-crazy London and it is full of dons in full three-piece tweed, horn-rimmed spectacles, academic gowns and ladies in layers and layers of printed silk - all flying around on bicycles. My eyes can't take it all!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 AM) : 

Don´t know about these latest pictures you have taken. I don´t like them. The people are dressed in a weird way.Where in the earth have you found them?

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (9:37 AM) : 

Curious photo. But how the hell do you define 'harmonious,' Sart? This 'hobo chic' outfit doesn't work on any level, I'm afraid. It's chaos. Hippy clothing and granola gear are never attractive, IMVHO. The only harmonious element in this photo are the yellow police lines, which are saying: 'stay away!'. I wish you had heeded the warning.

 

Blogger Mother Gin Sling said ... (9:37 AM) : 

This girl is a poem! She looks like a collage by Georges Braque. I don't know what I prefer, the contrast between textures, the clownesque touch of the trousers and shoes, the floral print against the cold pale grey---and magnificent detail in the whole mise-en-scène, the yellow lines on the stairs echoing her trench coat...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:41 AM) : 

Wow i wish Birmingham was more like Oxford, all you get here is wall to wall chav scum!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:46 AM) : 

for LBT
I think "never attractive" is a very short-sighted statement.

I wouldn't expect a self-proclaimed "trad" to like this look anyway

again, for me, this is about inspiration - maybe you see mixing just two of the four elements in a new way and that in-its-self is worth it to me

i rarely think of graphic patterns with a pastel but I might remember this when I am starting to put together early spring outfits - maybe a houndstooth jkt with a pastel tie, cream pants and suede monk strap shoes

that is what I see when I look at this from my perspective.

 

Blogger Gratistotal said ... (9:50 AM) : 

This girl is a Van Gogh picture!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 AM) : 

I doubt about tha lady's chioce of shoes. the rest (or the most actually) looks great together!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 AM) : 

Very tough (especially the shoes) but very effeminate. I like it.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (10:25 AM) : 

My favorite part of this photo is the way the bright yellow stripe on her pale gray coat is perfectly echoed by the painted yellow stripe on the cement steps. Amazing!

 

Blogger Anne Corrons said ... (10:41 AM) : 

Oh, fabulous, I wish I had seen her on the streets. She is amazing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:43 AM) : 

it doesn't

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 AM) : 

This "look" is to style what Pollock is to art.

Questionable at best.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 AM) : 

Someone put their wardrobe in a blender this morning, but I don't think I'll have a drink.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 AM) : 

I like everything but the bag. I don't mind the florals, it's the shape and positioning of the bag that stops the "flow" for me. That said, many times I've worn my own work satchel that way so I could get at whatever it was I needed. Must not forget that these are real people on real streets doing real things, like fishing in their bags for train fare or cell phone. I especially like the sweater color and collar (I'm a sucker for turtlenecks) and the under-coat's(?) color and collar.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:57 AM) : 

OK, I am not going to comment that this girl is Asian as I am offically blind to race, but honestly, if you blurred the face, I would have told you that this is Japanese stree wear par excellence! Something you would see in Ginza as a matter of course.
Maybe unusual in Paris but the girl really knows what works for her!
WOW is all I can say!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 AM) : 

what a combo! that is what makes you the sartorialist, mr. sart. i like to read your defenses, as i like to understand the inner workings of where you find inspiration. if only i could see a pic of your inspired outfit, that'd be a delight.

clearly, she's purchased each piece with care, and she loves each item. then, she combined them in a most unexpected way. many of the pieces could steal the show as part of a simpler outfit. it definintely keeps your eye moving.

and may i say, mr. sart, i'm not sure of your exact process, whether you quickly identify a proper backdrop, or somehow transport your subjects there, or if serendipity repeated aligns the stars just for you, but you really must again be commended. her coat IS the stone stairway with the yellow tape. it boggles the mind.

 

Blogger couch_fashionista said ... (11:10 AM) : 

You're right Sart -- this shouldn't work at all. But in the moment you took this image, you caught her in a context that works somehow, this young, adventurous woman walking in a city whose people can see art in clothing, and harmony in disparity.

Btw, LOVE the echoing yellow lines.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:13 AM) : 

I think it's the strong anchors of coral and yellow, balanced and then repeated in the bag, that make it hum; the bag also ensures that the reaction isn't just "Hey, her pant legs don't match!" but instead is a generalized "Whoa, strong visual!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 AM) : 

I am a long time fan, but this is the first time I've commented before. And I have to say I was shocked at the number of negative comments. I love the picture. not only do I think that her outfit is very creative and unique, but I love that you included the matching yellow line of the steps.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:41 AM) : 

She reminds me of Pippi Longstocking, in a good way. She is not afraid to mix colours, patterns and fabrics. It looks very good, even if it´s not something I would wear. She´s just like Pippi, not afraid of anything, curious and it all turns out very stylish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:44 AM) : 

Seeing this picture makes me happy. It's beautiful.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (11:46 AM) : 

Hi Sart. Okay, I take it back. Hippy clothing can be passably attractive, I guess, only if the lady wearing them is drop-dead gorgeous, in which case what she is wearing means little to me anyway. ;) Your suggestion of a houndstooth jacket with a pastel tie, cream pants, and suede monk strap shoes sounds excellent. If I can get past my narrow trad preconceptions, maybe I'll even try it myself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:56 AM) : 

Please Sart, just continue taking pictures of "people are dressed in a weird way". I may like what they wear or I may not, but it's always a joy to see your pictures, and they are a great inspiration. I appreciate your appreciation of the unusual ;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:56 AM) : 

I like it too!
The picture gives me a smile.

 

Blogger Sam said ... (12:14 PM) : 

She matches the steps!

 

Blogger tintin said ... (12:15 PM) : 

I'm a Trad and I love her look. And I'll bet you dollars to Kripsy Kremes some designer working for RL is knocking this off right now.

I've moved around and traveled a lot. As an Army Brat and as an adult. You see a lot of stuff. Try wearing what was cool at Ft Monroe, VA in Ft Carson, CO. The rubes will laugh at you every time.

What I learned was to appreciate the unusual and different. Whether it was food or clothes.

The guy with the clown shoes did nothing for me and upon a closer look --he looked sad. Like a clown. But this girl looks fantastic and what she's wearing...Don't ask me how...works for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:16 PM) : 

A touch of wackiness can take you into divine territory! Adorable!

 

Blogger Luciernaka said ... (12:17 PM) : 

I want to have tea with her.
I adore her pants and bag and if dress is a reflection of character,
it makes me happy to glimpse her existence. Her look goes well with the grey man's bellow- both are styled beautifully and black and white checks- houndstooth? is my favorite- after Buffalo of course.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:20 PM) : 

I actually prefer my trouser legs to match. But that's just me.

I am in the cap that doesn't get this recent spate of pictures. It's not my thing--never will be. I loathe this mis-matched, thrift-store look. There is no harmony here at all.

To each their own.

-rdhd

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:25 PM) : 

Dearest wonderful Sartorialist Scott,

Not only a wonderful photo, but also a delightful headline!

 

Blogger Jingoist said ... (12:25 PM) : 

I actually see 2 women here. If you break down the sum of her outfit, there are definitely 2 themes going on...
Look #1) You can see the uniformity of her coat, mock/open sweater, and pants/tights. Very modern actually, nicely done.
Look #2) The turtle neck sweater, the hat, the bag, the shoes- very casual, relaxed.

It's as if her work-week self fought with her weekend self and they could not compromise, so they agreed to disagree. Very cool.

 

Blogger Joseph Gordon Cleveland said ... (12:33 PM) : 

Sart,

I am happy that you are taking a stand for this photo. Mostly, I've seen too many bloggers come to this site expecting just another fashion blog that focuses on the über slick, the très, très chic, the rive gauche, as it were. And, of course, these particular characters completely miss the point -- each and every time.

In my interpretation, this site is not about taking an ensemble and replicating it for your own wardrobe, but, rather, looking to every-day examples of inspiring and unique touches: an interesting combination of patterns or colors (as illustrated here), a rich, unexpected layering of textures, a subtle detail that, though often forgotten, seems to make an ensemble come alive.

In short, the blog is about inspiration. And if you're paying enough attention, one can find it in each and every single photograph that you post here.

Bravo, Sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:35 PM) : 

Cool photo. Cool mix. I love what's going on with the yellow stripes.

 

Blogger Miss Cavendish said ... (12:45 PM) : 

Her dignity and good posture add to the outfit; she wears it with conviction!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:51 PM) : 

She's gutsy doing what inspires her. I think that's worth a lot and deserves respect. She's not mimicking anybody and that's great. I love your work Sartorialist.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (12:52 PM) : 

You know, it's funny.

Here we have blog commentators heaping praise on this young woman's bizarre outfit. And yet yesterday commentators fell over themselves to dump on stylish Mr. Angelo Inglese, who was the recipient of some pretty nasty remarks.

Sart, I think it's time for you to replace your current audience with an upgrade!

 

Blogger Hélène said ... (1:14 PM) : 

To Laguna Beach:

Chaos is beautiful.

 

Blogger Austin.Garnett said ... (1:15 PM) : 

her shoes are freaking awesome! also, i completely the coat's color. the stripe makes it really unique too, but i agree with some previous comments that the coat's stripe kind of says 'construction zone.'

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (1:16 PM) : 

Like you said, she managed to mix all those elements and yet came out looking great. Her floral and graphic elements are in extreme small doses though so they didn't overpower the utilitarian clean lines.

Totally chic! I can see Marc Jacobs doing an entire line based on this concept.

 

Blogger Austin.Garnett said ... (1:19 PM) : 

her shoes are freaking awesome! also, i completely the coat's color. the stripe makes it really unique too, but i agree with some previous comments that the coat's stripe kind of says 'construction zone.'

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:25 PM) : 

Right on! Inspiration! Love the yellow lines!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:36 PM) : 

To Laguna Beach Trad: What is your definition of drop dead gorgeous. Some bimbo with bleached hair, showing a pierced belly button in february? Or some chick in ugg boots and a short denim skirt? Because as far as i know, that's the uniform in your part of the woods. Please. Individuality never hurt anyone.

 

Blogger ellastica said ... (2:10 PM) : 

she's adorabble!
worn with a nubby cord jacket this would've been perfect. her jacket is great just doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the look for me.
i'd totally rock the pants and the shoes. they look super comfy!

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (2:13 PM) : 

I like Phineas's summary of how this blog is more about inspiration than emulation.

Personally, I come here to sort of break my habitual ways of seeing. Sorry if that sounds too John Berger-fra-fra-fra, what I'm trying to say is the site is about mindset much more than it is about pictures of outfits.

Or something like that.

 

Blogger deborah said ... (2:32 PM) : 

Yes, I agree, this whole outfit would appear not to work at first, but it does work well. I love how it is effortlessly put together or at least seems that way. The colors and patterns compliment each other. I think it has a lot to do with the person too, she definitely pulls it off quite well. Not everyone could wear this...obviously.

Nice pastels.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:38 PM) : 

bravo for her to have confidence mixing so many elements together! its as if she got dressed in the dark, and was happy w/ what she was able to concoct.and i agree w/ what phineas said, Sart portrays everything from the uber chic, vintage, street, to wacky, and wow what were they thinking? this is what Sart is famous for...potraying people from different fashion perspectives and inspiring us all to either hate/love it.


once again, thank you mr. Sartorialist for your amazing eye

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:06 PM) : 

I love you Phineas.
You articulated my feelings exactly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:36 PM) : 

Now, I am something of an (ahem) eclectic dresser myself, and I do love a pattern mix/clash, so I have no issue with the floral + check + stripe thing going on here. My problem with this is too many horizontals breaking it up in the lower half: bag cuts across body, then the yellow line on the coat, then the hem of the coat, then the cropped trousers, then a strip of sock, then the criss-cross lines of the boot ties.

Would have worked for me with plain black leggings to pick up the back of the bag and the boots but not those trousers. If the trousers had to stay then some other footwear with different proportions.

Do like the coat, the way in which the hat frames her face and love the way the pink jersey picks up the pink tones in her skin and complements her lips though...

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (3:41 PM) : 

I agree with previous posters. Yes, this photo is very inspiring. It inspires me never to dress even remotely like this. Or to interact with anyone who dresses like this. Ever. This outfit simply doesn't work, no matter how many excuses you come up with.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:46 PM) : 

Replace your current audience with an upgrade?
First of all, the sentence makes no sense grammatically. OK "dude" from Laguna beach?
Second of all, why don't you put your real picture up? Is your face scarred by adolescent acne? Are you cross-eyed? Hair-plugs?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:47 PM) : 

i agree with anonymous 10.57
she just knows how to dress herself - on her it's brilliant because she makes it look organic. you believe her. there's nothing that seems awkward when you look at the whole picture - her+outfit!
i like it a lot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:48 PM) : 

WOW
Laguna beach trad has some seriosuly nasty remarks today. Is someone on their period?

 

Blogger reverend dick said ... (3:54 PM) : 

Have to admit, I didn't notice the stripe repeated until reading the comments. Subtle.
Everything Phineas said.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:21 PM) : 

I think the only thing that clashes with the rest of the photo is the bag. The big floral sack thing really isn't working.
But that doesn't matter much, because for me, this photo is all about those bright yellow lines on the coat being repeated so perfectly on the steps. I'm assuming that was at least partly deliberate. ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:32 PM) : 

what's with all these weird granola foreigny types. it's weird. bring back the predictable, unoriginal, plain vanilla, cookie-cutter clothes and people that dumb people like me can appreciate and emulate!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:36 PM) : 

This is what I like to imagine happened here: The girl was walking by and saw the fresh yellow painted stripe on the stair and was suddenly inspired to have the same stripe on her coat, so she went and pressed her coat against the yellow stripe of paint and felt a sense of completion that she could now get on with her day as it should be done.

 

Blogger sofie king said ... (5:09 PM) : 

what a lovely little elfin look she has! that bag is glorious, and i love her sly style. very suitable for paris, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:17 PM) : 

What I like about this picture is that it looks like she really has fun when she gets dressed in the morning. Most people I know don't take pleasure in or have a sense of humor about their clothes. I can also take mine much too seriously, being a perfectionist and very particular.

She makes me smile because of that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:18 PM) : 

I just noticed how the yellow lines on her jacket mimimc the yellow lines on the staircase--how do you do it?!

 

Blogger Post-it boy said ... (5:29 PM) : 

Love the way the stripe on the steps matches her coat, very considered. Maybe she take the stripe with her wherever she goes? I like to think so.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:30 PM) : 

sart, I like the recent pairings of figures and backgrounds.

The marble pastels and yellow lines here (what serendipity).

The little count in his cape on a street with wet, black boughs.

The bold black silhouettes of the couple on via Roma against a neutral canvas.

The Asian man in grey against a flat, non-perspectival design (like a Manet, that one).

The caped medieval peasant caught in the vortex of modernity.

The Englishman in Italy, buttoned up with characteristically controlled ebullience, in a Mediterranean gravelled court.

I even think it's not a stretch to say those chaps with the knit vests echo in some way the colorful and patchwork stone walls behind them.

I don't know how long you have to wait for Lady Fortune, but clearly she's been smiling on you.

It's a pleasure for all of us.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:31 PM) : 

I have a feeling this will be the inspiration for Marc Jacobs' next spring/summer line. Wait and see. I'm sure he is aware of your blog. or at least his "people".
This photo is breathtaking!

 

Blogger Dcode88 said ... (6:10 PM) : 

Love the colours and how she brings an arty and fun element to dressing, some people seem to get so very serious about it all.

Thanks Sart!

 

Blogger Chloe chloe chloe said ... (6:12 PM) : 

It looks as if the yellow tape is dancing all over throughout the streets. I just love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 PM) : 

Walk across any fine arts college campus and you will see at least five ladies doing this EXACT same thing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:47 PM) : 

I too am surprised about the high number of negative comments. We should take a step back and realize that their is brilliance in her weirdness. I could never put together an outfit like that, but I read this blog for inspiration and take bits and pieces of what I see and make it my own.

 

Blogger Joseph Gordon Cleveland said ... (6:59 PM) : 

LBT:

I will concede that her ensemble doesn't do anything for me, per se, that I don't think we'd see it as an editorial in W or V or Flaunt or Swindle, and that, at the least, it is a bit jarring. The challenge, however, is to understand why Sart has chosen it: obviously, it's not his "style" either, but there is something unique, something inspiring, and something definitively creative about what she's done. And Sart is open-minded enough to recognize it, even when a person's ensemble is not ostensibly "fashionable."

Do I like the end result? Would I want to emulate it? No, on both counts.

But, if you're capable, you can render the inspiration in a way that's applicable to your style, as Sart attempted to illustrate earlier. And, mostly, this site is about doing just that: taking inspiration and making it work for you.

I think you're missing the point altogether: if you're looking for yet another "my-style-reflected-in-photography" resource, this site will most likely prove useless to you. You're better off with a subscription to Details or Men's Vogue, my preference being with the latter.

And, for the record, I thought Angelo looked perfectly dashing.

 

Blogger Joseph Gordon Cleveland said ... (7:03 PM) : 

Urban dude: you're wrong about Laguna, despite whatever MTV would have you believe. What you've described is, rather, more indicative of its oh-so-gauche neighbor to the north, Newport.

Though it may be hard to believe, there are, though small and certainly the exception to the rule, small locales in Southern California where sophistication, and not silicone, rules.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:14 PM) : 

laguna beach trad suggests an audience replacement/upgrade! Perhaps he'll be the first to go... He could always start a pure "trad" fashion blog. Godspeed, LBT! The case of Moët et Chandon is in the mail.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:50 PM) : 

I for one would never classify this as "hobo chic, hippy clothing or granola gear" You've obviously never really been around hippies! Try Boulder, Colorado sometime! I think she is an inspiration, a muse! She makes me want to put patterns together and wear boots with things I never thought of before! What a vision!

 

Blogger Alya said ... (7:56 PM) : 

I think it doesnt work at all. But if thats what she likes, then good for her to do her own thing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:03 PM) : 

i so diggg this look. what a study sart. the yellow stripe contrivance is nothing short of inspiring. ur photos make my day esp. after a mid century modern furniture shoot

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:07 PM) : 

I don't want to poke a whole in your lungs satorialist, but you're not turning out the usual content which seemed to attract most of us who enjoy youur perspective and your usual submitions seem to be kind of questionable and not at all pollack worthy. Sorry, but your photos are less than inspiring.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 PM) : 

Well played ensemble. That bag is fab. And though I'm sure it isn't, the pattern has a Liberty of London floral look about it. It could be needlepoint...it would be nice to see a closeup of it. The serendipitous coat and stairs dialog is a thought provoking sartorial touch. We live in our clothes as we live in our buildings...

Phineas is right. This blog is all about small doeses of inspiration. Paris, Tokyo anyone? Makes me want to go have lunch on Omote-Sando, the Champs Elysees of Tokyo. Unfortunately, I have to clean the hall closet.

T.

 

Blogger Celia said ... (8:36 PM) : 

Sharp eye, as always, Sart. I've found your last dozen or so pics to be incredibly exciting!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:46 PM) : 

I like his pants and boots. The bag and hat come across a little feminine though.

As for:

"morty said...
Don´t know about these latest pictures you have taken. I don´t like them. The people are dressed in a weird way.Where in the earth have you found them?"

The person who wrote this saddens me. Are they that boring and uninspired?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:49 PM) : 

Goodness I am glad this is Sart's blog, and not Laguna Beach Trad's... despite the latter's desperate attempts to draw attention to themselves. Try appreciating what you like instead of throwing a hissy fit about what you don't. Really, there was plenty of appreciation for Angelo. There are both positive and negative comments for most photos -- a phenomenon you must have observed, since you comment on every single one.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:08 PM) : 

It looks a little silly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 PM) : 

PHINEAS: I am from southern california. I have eyes and i can see, thank you very much. People from socal have no taste nor do they care about how they look.
flip flops, sweatpants, and summer clothes in the winter while saying "gosh its cold"

 

Blogger AdamfromVA said ... (9:32 PM) : 

cant stand it, what happened to clean lines? This is the opposite of avant gaurde

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:37 PM) : 

The last couple of days i've seen some strange comments and personal attacks on the guy who runs this blog. How can you say to someone that their pictures aren't what they used to be? On what merit?
It's weird and rude to leave comments like that, and it only speaks badly about the people who say that, i.e, peasants and fools. I won't name names but we all know who they are. (LBT sandwiches anyone?)
So, if you don't have something constructive to say, don't resort to granolas and hippies and other similar banalities. Open a dictionary and find some more interesting words.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 PM) : 

I agree with Louise
Laguna Bitch Trad should be banned

 

Blogger Pres said ... (9:58 PM) : 

Nope, shouldn't work; and doesn't.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:06 PM) : 

She's so pretty, beyond anything whe's wearing.

The hat is sweet and smart, with it's little sparkler buckle.

The pink of the sweater matches the winter-blush of her cheeks.

Clearly when she gets where she's going, takes off the outerwear and is in the pink and the patchwork trousers ... that's going to look charming.

Safety coat!
Boots look almost like her ankles are bound!

But she's so pretty - she looks like an art student between classes. It's creative, not evolutionary.

 

Blogger ricpic said ... (10:15 PM) : 

"Chaos is beautiful."

No, chaos is chaos.

Order is beautiful. Doesn't have to be boring order. Can be syncopated beat order, but has to contain relationship between its parts. This outfit has no relationship between its parts, hence no order and no beauty.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 PM) : 

I LOVE YOU SART!!!!
The negative comments on this post only confirm my humble opinions of your genius work.
To teach people you must brake their egos a little... and this photo is a hammer. The perfect example of how a classic japanese youth dresses... and let me say here, do not expect that the average fashionista will understand the kimono heritage of japanese women. If you are acquaintance to An-An or Ginza magazine you will now what I mean, It takes a proper connoisseur of street fashion to appreciate this outfit.
I thank you for your efforts in educating us ignorant viewers and please do not let the mob get in your way MASTER.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:45 PM) : 

She is perfection!!! and the photo is exquisite, Sart you DID IT AGAIN and the ones that don't understand are missing "it" and that is a fact...
This woman is one of the best combination of textures and colors in your site!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 PM) : 

And do not doubt it for a second dear Sart, your perspective is always right, that is why I see your blog every day!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:55 PM) : 

I would have to agree with Sart, the 1st part that is...IT'S SHOULDN'T WORK, that's right and it dosen't!

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (11:04 PM) : 

Phineas, I appreciate your thoughtful comments. I am perfectly capable of appreciating outfits that have nothing to do with my personal style. If you go back through this blog, in fact, you will find positive comments (from me) about a wide range of clothing. So that's not the issue at all.

I am slightly dismayed, however, by the negative comments directed at perfectly sensible-looking chaps and chapettes, whilst the absurd outfit displayed today by the nice young lady in Sart's photo gets a free pass. I think her kit is objectively absurd. Others disagree. Life goes on.

You are right about Southern California, interestingly enough. I actually live in Newport; my primary summer house is in Laguna Beach. Most of the fashion-conscious people in SoCal are trying to emulate the Hollywood/pornstar set, though as you say there are pockets of sophistication, class, and taste to be found.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:24 PM) : 

Oh LBT is a troll who makes offensive comments all over Sart. Please just ignore him!

I would comment but Phineas said it so beautifully -- so I will just quote!

" Phineas said...
too many bloggers come to this site expecting just another fashion blog that focuses on the über slick...[and] completely miss the point -- each and every time.

In my interpretation, this site is not about taking an ensemble and replicating it for your own wardrobe, but, rather, looking to every-day examples of inspiring and unique touches: an interesting combination of patterns or colors (as illustrated here), a rich, unexpected layering of textures, a subtle detail that, though often forgotten, seems to make an ensemble come alive."

I like this about the woman:
her pastel "canvas" lets the random funky elements jump out at you. The bag is a little distracting but I love her mismatched pants sneaking out under that kind of "GAP"ish colored coat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:48 AM) : 

The attention this outfit has brought has made for a hilarious read, I've enjoyed it immensely! Thank you to all bloggers for adding your insightful, funny and honest remarks, it's just another reason this site is a delight to the senses.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:47 AM) : 

The people on here to speak of fashion as either/or a mixture of...self-expression, creativity, attention to detail, a love of shapes, a love of textures, a love of clothes and accessories and of new discoveries - sometimes sizzling hot sometimes interesting sometimes wild sometimes demure...I salute you.

And for those who speak of fashion as simply a lemming-like following of trends or an urge to be 'appropriate' and to fit in and to 'never, ever offend other's sensibilities'...I would just like to tell you, life is short, we all die, so have fun while you're here and wear what makes YOU happy.

This girl's clothes may be a little quirked out, but she looks absolutely thrilled and that smile is always in fashion.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 AM) : 

Notice the yellow stripe on the coat and the yellow stripe on the steps. This outfit is ingenious and this girl is synthetic cubism in motion! Beautifully composed.

 

Blogger Saffron said ... (2:42 AM) : 

There is one outstanding element in her bouquet: the trouser legs!

Since winter is such a depressing season for me, I live for days when I witness such vibrant individuals.

Thanks Sart for finding and sharing these unique people with the world.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:55 AM) : 

YES SHE IS A WORK OF ART AND I MUST SAY IN SOME WEIRD WAY ITS GENTLE ON THE EYS.

LOVE HER!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:24 AM) : 

I can see how the principal can be reapplied in my own wardrobe. I am partial for clashing patterns/ prints that just somehow work.
Thank you for looking a little harder at what you see.
Whilst I don't actually like this woman's outfit this photo, among others, in an example of looks which prompt me to reconsider how I dress on further inspection rather than just provide and outfit to recreate.
There are people commenting who obviously want an outfit to copy, and who've stated you're losing touch, but maybe they just need to remember what you stated as your purpose at the beginning of all this.

 

Blogger Vistiendo a Candela said ... (5:56 AM) : 

The same color in steps and jacket?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:33 AM) : 

harmonious?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:01 AM) : 

Finally, the readers of this blog caught up with the strangeness that is Laguna Beach Trad, whoever or whatever he/she might be. Strange can be great, however in LBT's case it's just strange in a very disturbing way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:12 AM) : 

10:41 PM Ditto. Japanese street fashion is so fun. One sees this sort of thing all the time in Tokyo. Thank you, Sart!

 

Blogger Super Milk-Chan said ... (8:21 AM) : 

I'm honestly surprised how many people dislike this outfit. Maybe it isn't something you yourself would wear, but this girl rocks it. It's unique, and obviously very her. I feel happier looking at her and wish that you would feature more photos of people like this, in unusual outfits.

This is what fashion should be. Not a designer name, or this season's trend, but an expression of who you are as a person.

Also, compliments on the way you composed this photo. I love that the yellow tape or paint on the steps emulates the stripe in her jacket. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 AM) : 

101st comment, for luck: have you ever really READ what the figure called laguna beach trad is writing - not only today, but in general? It's pure fiction, unfortunately not even very good one, but nevertheless fiction. He's plain boring, I really wonder why so many voices were strained to react on this ********. If you want to go for the real stuff, read the wonderful P. G. Wodehouse, or have a look at Edward Gorey's The Unstrung Harp. And leave that poor sod with his half-baked ****.
Oh, and I almost forgot to say that I absolutely adore the photo at question.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 AM) : 

Why all the hate? LBT has a right to his opinions. I like his comments, even though I don't agree with everything he has to say. Everyone needs to chill.

 

Blogger * said ... (9:23 AM) : 

This kind of mixing and matching seems to be something that (young) people with an asian background are really good at. (I always wonder what the are going to look like when they are 60 or so)...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:01 AM) : 

I agree with Margaret and concerned citizen. Laguna Beach Trad is the reason freedom of expression has its drawbacks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 AM) : 

i think she is adorable,you can see the expression of happiness and youth exuding from her. i would be delighted to have seen her. she is a study in self confidence. sart, did you put down the yellow tape? i dont know how you blend the subjects with the backgrounds as well as you do. artistry!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 AM) : 

i would love to see the photos of a day in oxford as josephine suggests, this would probally make old cranky lbt happy as well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:39 AM) : 

This is truly the kind of outfit that inspires me on so many different levels...think Gee's Bend quilt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:49 AM) : 

YES! !! !

 

Blogger Joseph Gordon Cleveland said ... (12:04 PM) : 

LBT:

A free pass, indeed. But I think many of the readers that seem to fawn all over every ensemble are missing the point just as much as though who denounce ensembles for being too outlandish or inane.

Whether for or against, these are just superficial judgments, and if you can't offer any unique or astute insight, who the hell cares if you like or hate it?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:05 PM) : 

I think pale grey, pink and cream is a lovely combination for her colouring, one that others could borrow without the funny trousers....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 PM) : 

Sart,
While your photography remains top-notch, the types of outfits you have been capturing on film lately have been...puzzling, at best. While style changes over time and I can't, nor should I, expect your photos now to resemble those you posted when this blog first began, I can't help but notice what seems to be a devolution rather than an evolution. Occasionally you still manage photos of people who look lovely, but in this picture and others...the hipster car bags? The mismatching pants? Leg warmers, terrible suspenders, and that woman in the cowboy hat, whose outfit was terrible?What's going on?
What is particularly upsetting is that most of the pictures of men you post are fine, while the women you seek are dressed foolishly. I see women everywhere I go dressed with panache, whether in a traditional or more personal style. Are you deliberately not finding them? Your new hipster tendencies are a little disappointing. It's not just that I dislike the outfits; it's that these people look tacky, like they absolutely lack any modicum of class. I wouldn't go to pick up milk at Zabar's in this outfit, much less march around in it all day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 PM) : 

The sweater frames her face beautifully and brings a healthy flush to her cheeks. And that bag is great -- fun, versatile and functional.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 PM) : 

I just want to sit down with this woman and have a cup of tea with her. She looks genuine and interesting, and her sartorial choices reflect that.

I love what Tim said above:

"This girl's clothes may be a little quirked out, but she looks absolutely thrilled and that smile is always in fashion." Amen to that!!

Every photo on this site is worthy of consideration and to pass petty judgements seems a waste of time. Thank you to Mr. Sart for mixing it up and offering your audience a variety of images to enhance our days. I for one enjoy all of it.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (1:37 PM) : 

Anon 12:06pm

i guess the difference between us is that i find beauty in a lot of different types of people and you find beauty in only a certain kind of person

I'm not making you wrong for liking what you like but don't make me wrong for my taste

if i look over the last month of this bog i think I have a wonderful variety of people and I am very proud of that - I;m sure you can find a few even that you like

S

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 PM) : 

Hi Sart -- I'm late in getting in my two cents but wow, what a brilliant photo -- the woman's idiosyncratic style and the serendipitous echoing of the yellow stripe on her coat with the yellow lines on the concrete step.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 PM) : 

Your first impression was right; it doesn't work.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:22 PM) : 

Don't know if I would've used the word "harmonious" to describe this outfit, but I do agree it takes talent to put this together in a way that the textures, colors, and shapes don't clash with one another. Only an Asian could've pulled this look off and still look good.

 

Blogger Deanna said ... (2:48 PM) : 

I often wonder if those same sets of outfits would look so good on another individual. I think part of the outfit is actually the human wearing it all. This outfit would look ridiculous on me, maybe because it wouldn't coicide with my personality. There is something inherent about this woman that shows through her clothing choices. I like it, and I think I would like her too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:35 PM) : 

It's funny how some people get so upset over a negative comment. Not everyone has to love everything!

The comments that mindlessly fawn over every thing are just as bad.

Art needs both criticism and praise to evolve

Personally I don't like this look, in part or in parcel. But I still appreciate the photograph. I think some people forget the photography element and focus only on the fashion and vise versa.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:48 PM) : 

LBT Dear, your comments are tainted with green. My good advice to you: Jealousy will get you nowhere.... anyway I think living in Laguna Beach is punishment enough for you.
And for other amateurs that have dared to leave negative comments in this sacred space I will say please when curious about inspiration please go to Laguna or visit LBT's blog.
THIS IS SART'S KINGDOM AND WE LOVE HIM.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:00 PM) : 

I have to agree with Trad. There are some great photos that are ridiculed, and then something as noisy as this gets so much praise.

Cho - you say freedom of expression has its drawbacks - well so does democracy because it panders to the lowest common denominator which are many of the commentators on this site.

I agree that there are elements of this outfiut that work, particularly above the waist, but on the whole I think there are better subjects to photograph.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:05 PM) : 

How can people come to this blog and criticize Sart's genius choice of images is a scandal to me. I can only attribute it to coarse sense of style and lack of knowledge.
Sart, your true viewers come to this space because of your exquisite taste and infinite curiosity for human expression, please do not consider those malicious comments they are envious of your talent and master ability to see beauty, true.
The girl deserves a prize just for finding that Pink turtle neck and shoe laces!!!, she is such a japanese doll.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:10 PM) : 

This has been the most controversial picture ever on this blog!

I agree with Anon 12:06 to a certain degree. Sart's work and taste for his subjects seem to be getting more complex by the minute. Not that I dislike his recent work, but I do prefer his older material. Then again, it is a matter of personal taste.

I'm sure there's lots of fans out there who might think the other way around.

I love the way Phineas puts it all together. I know LBT is a true Sart fan. Perhaps he was looking to get some extra attention. After all, he is a big part of this blog, as many of us are. He has succeded in this.

About the pic in question... I like her aura, dislike the clothes, love the way Sart had her stand next to the yellow painted steps.

This Blog has taken a life of it's own. We even have Sart defending himself, both in and out of the comments box.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:28 PM) : 

the answer is : pink

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:41 AM) : 

This is honestly a work of art, everything is so perfect. Her outfit is something very special indeed. No, this outfit does not match and for sure should not work. But it does. Don't tell me for a second if she passed you by she wouldn't be given a second glance.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:58 AM) : 

Hey everybody who think this picture has nothing to do with beauty, harmony. take a look at a picasso painting and tell me if you see any predictable lines or matching colour. This is why it is inspiring, this is how I picture every outfit posted here or created: as a painting or sculpture made of clothes only. But, to grasp this the eyes must have been exercised and, as much clishée as it might sound, must open......your mind.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:40 PM) : 

reading through the comments, i was compelled to review what LBT had actually said. the repeated and vicious lashing out made me think that LBT had spewed forth an equally hateful comment, but upon review, i'd say that while opinionated and a little colorful, it wasn't far from par for this site. mr. sart responded with thoughful dissension and a useful example for explanation, which it would seem provided inspiration to LBT, judging from his later response. he graciously admitted, with self-depricating humor, to posting perhaps a kneejerk reaction, and many wouldn't.

mr. sart's response seemed to move LBT to look deeper for inspiration, while other's snide comments forced him to go on the defensive.

it almost seems that because mr. sart was moved to post a rare-ish direct response that people read that as open season on LBT, and some of the comments were pretty shameful. i'm embarassed for you. how silly is it to condemn someone for condemning someone elses taste, and follow up by ragging mercilessly on their own personal taste?

if you're going to take mr. sart's lead, then take inspiration from his diplomacy and dedication to intellectual discourse.

 

Blogger .francesca said ... (6:42 PM) : 

this is the ULTIMATE pattern clash. ULTIMATE.

 

Blogger design dna said ... (7:05 PM) : 

wow! such controversy... i was enjoying this photo for the way the coat with the yellow stripe looks so nice next to the stone steps that also wear a yellow stripe. nice photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:52 PM) : 

What I like about this picture is line harmony (it really exists) urban randomness creates surprising line harmony, look at the yellow lines, the trench and stairs' steps have it. Was it really random or was Mr Photographer really randomnly cleaver?... Also, I like her bag, looks like merry summery lawn at dusk somewhere in the woods... on the outskirts of Paris ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:19 AM) : 

Totally wrong, but because she did it on purpose, it's just great.

 

Blogger in defense of retail therapy said ... (8:52 PM) : 

a sophisticated blend of color, prints, texture, all well-proportioned. well spotted.

 

Blogger pardon my french said ... (4:48 PM) : 

Oh this is Akira Minagawa's partner at Minä Perhonen!I met her last month and she was wearing a lovely dress from their collection. I love her coat here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:09 PM) : 

not his partner, she just works for him. he employs a great group of young women who look fantastic in Mina. this coat has the most beautiful yellow embroidery on the back by the way

 

Anonymous T. said ... (10:07 AM) : 

The jacket suits with the stairs at the right.. I like how she's dressed, all seems to be well-matched.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting