This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Sartorialist Super All-Star - BFM, Upper East Side

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, December 03, 2007

Sartorialist Super All-Star - BFM, Upper East Side



FYI - Blogger changed some photo formatting the other day so the enlarging issue is out of my control right now. I'm not happy with the download thing either by the way.

I'm sure/hopeful that we will be able to figure a way around this issue so just hold tight for a few days.

For today I have someone manually changing the code so check back later if you want to see todays posts larger.

Comments on "Sartorialist Super All-Star - BFM, Upper East Side"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:58 PM) : 

I Love You Mr. Sartorialist.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (12:20 AM) : 

At long last, a photo worth responding to! Whenever he appears on The Sartorialist, this gentleman looks great. Very elegant, simple, correct. Nice coat. And always with a cigar. A chap after my own heart. It appears as if he has lost a lot of weight. Well done, Sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:25 AM) : 

Impecable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:33 AM) : 

yawn..... next.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 AM) : 

For some reason the link to the larger picture has been off these last few post. I love seeing the detail in those large views.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 AM) : 

This guy is always good - but this shot allows me to pose a question which I have been pondering over all winter: when wearing a topcoat (buttoned-up), does one fasten the bottom button, as BFM has done here? I always do, but I am unsure of the 'correct' protocol. To be honest, I intend to continue fastening the bottom button because I like it that way, but I would be interested to hear what others think.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:36 AM) : 

Dapper Danny in the mid morning stroll. LOVE IT.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:31 AM) : 

Thanks, Sartorialist, for posting this. Usually, I am drawn to women's styles on this site. But, this man drew my attention because of his rather large shoulders. I am a woman and have trouble finding coats(or tops for that matter) that fit well on my body type. I have broad shoulders, and can never find a coat that fits well at both my shoulders and my smaller-sized waist (I am pretty lean all over--5'7' and 110 lbs). The tops/coats will usually fit right on the shoulders and be too loose or baggy at the waist, or vice versa. Any suggestions? I'd appreciate it. Thanks. : )

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:46 AM) : 

This guy is anything but fat. His face makes you think he is fat, be he really is not. Stylish is what he is...

 

Blogger Vistiendo a Candela said ... (4:49 AM) : 

A perfect gentleman

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:10 AM) : 

I'm actually a bit underwhelmed by this. I'm a sucker for a nice coat, which this no doubt is and then paired with a great tie (good knot), shirt and scarf and you think you have another great from the BFM, but then it all vanishes. The rest is not very good. So then I'm left just envying that scarf since everything else is a bit ordinary. So when am I getting that scarf?

Energie

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (5:51 AM) : 

Oh yeah, that's the kind of coat i'm looking for. It doesn't have a wide bottom. Nice pic!

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (5:54 AM) : 

So elegant!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (6:24 AM) : 

he has lost 17 pounds!

so now he is just "The Man"

I hope someone notices how the slightly extended shoulder makes his waist look smaller

S

 

Blogger Butch said ... (7:43 AM) : 

(Love the fact we can now see the photo while commenting in a separate window--but, as another poster said, it's now impossible to enlarge the photo.)

Seems to me, what's gained by the extended shoulder line is lost by the coat length, which I'd have longer. As for the pants, the opposite.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (8:29 AM) : 

The coat is stunning. Uncomplicated, functional and beautiful in camel.

 

Blogger ricpic said ... (8:31 AM) : 

The coat is a tad short, IMO.

 

Blogger Big Primpin' said ... (8:37 AM) : 

Yeah, Scott, there's definitely a tapered look from shoulder to waist.

And another reader inquired about bottom-button protocol. I'd be interested to hear your reply. I'd offer up that I leave the bottom-button unfastened on cardigans, but I might be laughed at because cardigans aren't very cool.

Thanks,
John

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:32 AM) : 

yes, i think the bottom button should be buttoned, otherwise your look will be "wimpy" and won't have a firm sense of strength to it. it is a top coat after all, not a lazy-sunday cardigan!

great blog,
James

do you mind if i put a link on my blog?

 

Blogger Susan B said ... (9:39 AM) : 

He always looks so sharp yet not contrived.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 AM) : 

As a woman - not a fan of the bottom button fastened. Personally - I like the top button undone (if there is more than three) and the bottom button undone - if there is an uneven number of buttons. If there are only two - then one simply has to choose if they want the top more open or the bottom - and t hat would be determined by girth or dimension wanted to be shown.

 

Blogger Jingoist said ... (10:51 AM) : 

Rezza always looks good. He knows his dimensions very well and "builds to suit" his frame. I love the overall look, but I can't help but feel a pocket square in the overcoat would help it pop.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:06 AM) : 

I think this perfectly illustrates how a shorter man should wear a winter coat. My husband is 5'9" and has a paunch. I think this coat would be great on him. He usually wears an athletic cut suit and this coat seems to mirror that style, wide in the shoulders and slim in the waist, yet skimming over any problem areas in the middle section.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:40 AM) : 

Is this Reza Raien? I like the look but wish his scarf was a brighter color or pattern - otherwise a lovely fall combo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 PM) : 

He looks great, which brings up a couple of questions I had:

Are those grey pants? (they might be dark brown, my monitor colors are off) For some reason, I always have a problem dressing grey pants with brown coats, or more to the point, grey coats with brown pants.

Am I being completely silly? It seems to work for him.

Also, regarding scarfs... On one of my business trips to India, I bought my wife many very nice Pashmina Cashmere shawls/scarfs. Some of them are very feminine prints, but others I could get away with... I think... is that a complete nogo?

 

Blogger MensFlair said ... (1:06 PM) : 

I would prefer if that coat is longer. You just can't beat the coolness of a long coat with collar up.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:21 PM) : 

Spectacular jacket...I am an individual who is in reasonable shape. I've always found suits and jackets to be originally designed for a "one size fits all" bulk look.

Now, it's easy to request the tailor to bring in the waist of my suit jackets to add some shape (sadly, I'm not financially at a bespoke level just yet) but a jacket it is far less of an option.

I love the flattering shape of this jacket. It is a gorgeous looking overcoat that still shows the shape and build of the individual. A rare find, in my experience

 

Blogger Suzanna Mars said ... (2:02 PM) : 

Quiet good taste, always in fashion. I agree with whoever upthread said that perhaps a more interesting scarf would provide some visual "pop," but as it stands the way he is wearing it works in tandem with the wider shoulder to draw attention towards the narrower waist.

There's winter and then there's winter bulky. This obviously is an example of the first.

 

Blogger christa said ... (2:15 PM) : 

ya blogger ain't it. i moved over to wordpress and am a lot happier.

always reading,
christa

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (3:35 PM) : 

I think a shorter coat is so much younger and sportier

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:35 PM) : 

My rule for buttoning a coat such as this is to keep the drafts out without looking like a fool. SO, I fasten the buttons near my tummy, because I can't stand to be cold there. The top and bottom of the coat tend to be left open because my legs are covered by pants and are, therefore, mostly warm enough, and my neck is well wrapped with a scarf of some kind. Also, I'm in search of a nipped in at the waist silhouette, so I accentuate that with my coat buttoning habits.

The general rule is always to each his own when it comes to fashion and flattery.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:18 PM) : 

Hey are you going to be down in miami for art basel this week?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:27 PM) : 

What beautiful posture and poise.

digdug, I say try the Pashmina scarf thing. I think it's all in how you drape/wrap/tie it.

 

Blogger ev said said ... (5:52 PM) : 

show us YOUR winter coat and your favorite shoes.... pretty please

ev said

 

Blogger L'Henri said ... (6:32 PM) : 

I love how the purple radiates through the earth tones.


henrihouse.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:54 PM) : 

Is he married, gay? I don't care but going out with a well dress gentleman like this would be fun.

 

Blogger The Redheaded Bandit said ... (8:22 PM) : 

kewl blog!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 PM) : 

Oh, I'm so happy to see BFM! I know I should no longer call him that, but that's how I know and love him. He looks terrific.

To Digdug: One time I saw Salman Rushdie leaving a party and he had a beautiful, large, pashmina-style scarf looped around his neck with his winter overcoat. He looked smashing. I say, Go for it!

 

Blogger DeepBlueSea said ... (11:10 PM) : 

His classic look is like a reference that everything else relates back to.

And the cigar is in total keeping with his style and looks.

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (11:16 PM) : 

I love the turn-up collar, the layering around the neck and the relax, confident posture of the gentle; but I am not a fan of the camel color of the coat.

Classic Upper East Side look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:30 AM) : 

LOL, I thought I was the only one... I thought it was a problem on my end

 

Blogger tintin said ... (12:26 PM) : 

Is that a pinky ring?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 PM) : 

Sart, why are you always referring to Mr. Raein as BFM? Did I miss the joke? He has a name!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 AM) : 

The fit of the coat is fantasic. The slightly more extended shoulders combined with drape in the chest and very gentle waist supression are extremely flattering.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:57 AM) : 

A bit of a town/country clash! That's an English covert coat, I think.It's the centre of the ensemble, so everything else should flow from it. Better worn with brown shoes(brown suede would be best) and a brown trilby. That tie is too urban. A bright rep/British military one would have been a better choice.

 

Blogger James D. Cormier said ... (11:35 PM) : 

Speaking of his tie knot, can anyone identify which type it is? It looks to me like a half-Windsor, but seems large -- perhaps the tie has a wider narrow end that makes knots larger?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:09 AM) : 

To the person who asked RR's marital status, I believe he's either divorced or about to be divorced from Marjorie Gubelmann, the socialite/NCR heiress.
He looks classy here.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting