This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....The Colorist, 42nd St.

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

On the Street.....The Colorist, 42nd St.


One of the best color performances I have seen in a long time.

In case you are wondering, she is carrying a jar of herbal tea.

Comments on "On the Street.....The Colorist, 42nd St."

 

Blogger momo said ... (9:41 AM) : 

I love it! The blue of the bag pulls the whole thing together.

 

Blogger Eryl Shields said ... (9:46 AM) : 

I love your term 'color performances'. Her coat is rather splendid too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:53 AM) : 

love the colours! why wear black when there's so many colours to choose from.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 AM) : 

i want her hat...where from please?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:01 AM) : 

Ok this is going to sound daft, but aaaaaaw that is the cutest outfit ever! I just want to hug her :)

 

Blogger wear palettes said ... (10:03 AM) : 

"One of the best color performances I have seen in a long time."

how can I disagree. wonderful. and the palette confirms.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 AM) : 

Wow. Love the electric blue on her glasses.

 

Blogger Anne Corrons said ... (10:28 AM) : 

Ouah, it's amazing! A yellow coat! It's really cute on her even though I hate yellow!

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (10:42 AM) : 

I love this! Those colors look so good together! And her hat is cute!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:46 AM) : 

The glasses are particularly striking.

 

Blogger Blue Floppy Hat said ... (10:53 AM) : 

The colours on their own are lovely, but the ears on the hood just elevates it to a whole new level of whimsy.
Nice one, Sart.

 

Blogger RECIEN LLEGADA said ... (10:54 AM) : 

Her coat is very very fresh,nice whit the pullover

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 AM) : 

shes amazing! i just noticed the subtle print on the jacket and its perfect! and doesnt that scarf look warm? i wonder where i could find one just like it..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 AM) : 

Love the colours, LOVE the bag, love the expression on her face - don't, however love mouse ears on the hat.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:07 AM) : 

a yellow coat! how magnificent! my personal prejudices mean that I hate wearing black/navy/dark grey coats in the winter - there is so much darkness that we should all wear a little colour to lighten things up. Hooray for her!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 AM) : 

This is a great photo. I love the depth of field, the contrast between the subject and the scene, and the vignetting.

I also love the bear ears. :)

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (11:11 AM) : 

I love her coat and it's colour / texture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 AM) : 

The hat is a little to "cutesie" for my taste. Other than that, wonderful. The shades of greens, a pop of blue, but it's the coat that is the real star. The fabric and cut...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:24 AM) : 

oh sart,

I really love you for such pics!

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (11:45 AM) : 

I love this image; the colors are great, as you say. I immediately took note of the hat-with-ears thingy.

What really got me was the light on the background, and the background itself.

This is beautiful.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (11:47 AM) : 

Sart, you have a great eye! A truly unique photo. Smashing colours. Theoretically, the blend of colours here should not work for me: yellow, pea green, brown, lavender, grey...! It should not work--but it does! Nice.

 

Blogger Thomas said ... (11:50 AM) : 

Brilliant, and but of course she is carrying herbal tea. What else? Thanks for taking a picture out of this, so seemingly out of your oeuvre.

 

Blogger Claris said ... (12:06 PM) : 

Excellent color. I made a headpiece just like this in brown fleece this from a commercial pattern for my son's Halloween costume a few years back (Curious George)--never thought of seeing an adult wearing it as a style statement--but it works here--so kawaii.

 

Blogger Susan B said ... (12:11 PM) : 

This is so gorgeous it just made me catch my breath when the picture loaded. Brava, brava!!!

 

Blogger Polly said ... (12:14 PM) : 

hooray for yellow coats! my friend has one and it's pure pleasure to walk with her.

and the hat - i've been looking for something like that for ages, anyone knows where to find one?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:19 PM) : 

wonderful, wonderful. but shouldn't it be "carrying" instead of caring?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:24 PM) : 

She has the look of an artist, such a brilliant aesthetic!

Love how she can take pieces that might be considered too 'kiddy' or saccharine, and make them completely appropriate. Beautiful!

 

Blogger Travel the World with Me said ... (2:30 PM) : 

Had a question. Do you think Asians tend to dress better or have a better sense of style? I have noticed on your blog that most of your pictures in NY are of Asian people (the women at least. I don't think I've seen anything on Asian men...a topic for another day). And what I mean by most is that the proportion of Asian picture people is greater that that of the Asian population in NY. For example, 1 out of 3 pictures are of Asian people, while in NY the Asian population is only 1 out of 10 (these numbers are made up). Just was wondering your thoughts. A lot of the marketing research that I've been reading up on has been showing that Asians in recent years have become a dominant group of trend setters within US society in terms of everything - clothing, music, movies, restaurants, and other entertainment related fields. What are your thoughts?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:41 PM) : 

I cannot believe you posted a photo of a girl in one of those hideous "funky" "fun" animal hats. Those should be restricted to the realm of children and your crazy aunt who dyes her hair purple, wears tons of silver rings and lime green Doc Martens and frequents craft fairs.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:42 PM) : 

What a perfect ensemble (and so cute)! And I agree with the comment above - the blue bag electrifies it!

Passementerie

 

Blogger The Internetter said ... (3:20 PM) : 

Soooooooooooo pretty. Especially that shade of yellow and the cut of the coat. Damn, I wish I actually had money to buy stuff like that!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:24 PM) : 

The bear hat is very kawaii, and likely hand made. If you are looking for one similar, I would check your local Asian market area, or search etsy.com for a vendor and get one made to order.

 

Blogger underneath said ... (4:27 PM) : 

How refreshing in the winter!She looks so friendly..

 

Blogger Leah said ... (4:37 PM) : 

I adore this photo and this ensemble. It makes me feel all the better for wearing as much color as I do (and inspires me to keep wearing more!).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:42 PM) : 

Thank you for posting photos of people wearing cozy winter wear!

I really need to look for inspiration on what to wear when it starts to freeze because I want to be warm without looking like a lumpy caterpillar! And sleek, luxurious wool coats aren't friendly on a student budget!

I love the photos of the ladies wearing shorts or short dresses that you posted in the previous posts, I just wonder how they can pull it off in winter!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:07 PM) : 

Wonderful without being studied.

 

Blogger Johanna Beyenbach said ... (6:21 PM) : 

agreed, it's lovely. also i've wanted a winter hat with animal ears for a long time but haven't found the perfect one... this girl pulls it off really well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:21 PM) : 

Travel the World with Me:

I think I second your observation. I find that Asian women in NYC are the best dressed of anyone. Much better than men of any race and better than women of other races as well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:05 PM) : 

To Travel the World With Me: please don't bring that kind of reductive racial stuff onto this blog. Sart takes pictures of people who delight him, and they're all races. Leave that kind of thinking off of this blog and let the rest of us enjoy the pictures. Thank you.

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (7:19 PM) : 

Great yellow coat!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:29 PM) : 

I live in Manhattan, and generally go around in blacks, greys, taupes. You have inspired me to add color to my looks, so much so, that I bought a new charcoal and purple hat and acid green gloves today at Barneys Co-op, and an electric blue tote at H&M!

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (7:55 PM) : 

Sart, are you taking requests? This excellent photo has put me in the mood for more colour! I would love to see photos of Christmas clothing: tartan trousers, red sweaters, black watch blazers, cords imprinted with little Christmas motifs, Christmas neck ties, etc. I'm sure if you hung out on the UES this weekend, you would encounter some party-goers. Better yet, head up to my old stomping grounds in Greenwich, New Canaan, and Darien, and I'm certain you would find some unique sartorialists of a preppy nature.

 

Blogger DeepBlueSea said ... (9:10 PM) : 

Wow wow wow!
At first I spotted the ears and found it a bit silly but the more I look the more brilliant it all is. The green by the mauve by the yellow. The structure in the coat. The colour of her glasses. All against her skin colour, it's sublime.

So much personality!

Is there a colour theorist in the room who can explain why this all works?

 

Blogger agrasshopper said ... (9:19 PM) : 

I'm inspired to NOT wear black to work tomorrow! :D

Thanks for the great photo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:47 PM) : 

omigosh! i think i took an art class with her a few years ago... did you catch her name, sart?

 

Blogger WendyB said ... (10:51 PM) : 

Great colors...the little touch of purple is especially appealing to me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:32 AM) : 

the best combo i have ever seen ! ! !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:55 AM) : 

She looks truly gorgeous, cute and cozy. She looks like a person who would not stare grumpily at my little son if he adored her hat - just as it happened the other day with a fellow funky animal hat wearer. But that was on a bus in Berlin, maybe that's the point. To all Berliners: cheer up! For f*** sake!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:42 AM) : 

I don't think it is racist to comment on the style of Asian women. When I see a group of young Asian girls especially, they seem to wear what at first seems weird but, as deepbluesea said, the more you look it does take on a look of brilliance, and style.

Only one thing missing, she should be looking at the camera, then it would be perfect.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:57 AM) : 

i love that hat! it's rare to find someone looking non-contrived when wearing it and she's so cute...love it :)

 

Blogger Ryfka said ... (5:59 AM) : 

The color combination is really fantastic. And the hoodie/hat just has to make you smile :) Love this!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:59 AM) : 

Green, yellow and blue are the colours of the brazilian flag. She even looks a bit brazilian! For me, the best features are the blue-framed glasses. Overall effect is young, fun, and very sexy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:04 AM) : 

Great colors, they make me think of Brazil.

And I loved that kind of hood with ears in little children, but never thought it would look nice in a grown up. Great sourpise!

Theese together with her shy expression and the fact that she is carrying a jar of herbal tea, makes a very charming picture.

 

Blogger perfruor vita said ... (7:18 AM) : 

At first glance, she looked exactly like a friend of mine who dresses in the same way, and even has a similar hat.

Anyways, I agree with your choice of words-- the colors she uses are wonderful, and I love especially, how in the middle of the bright yellow, green, and lavender, she chose a deep olive-colored scarf. In my opinion, without the scarf, some of the colors might have been hard to swallow, so to speak.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:46 AM) : 

amazingg!!

 

Blogger Chi-Chi and the Greek Vintage said ... (9:00 AM) : 

While I do adore the color combo. I'm not in love with the rest of the outfit...a bit "little girl" for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 AM) : 

I'd much rather successfully emulate this (well, I'll pass on the ears) than the all-black stuff.

I think that it makes a big difference that the green of the scarf isn't a simple color but a complex one with a big shot of black in it, that the bag balances its blue with black or a black-heavy darker blue, and that her pants and hat are comparatively neutral. (Even the lavender sweater looks to have a bit of a black shade in it.) That takes the edge off the contrast, I think, so that there's a subtly harmonious note instead of a clown-at-the-circus one.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:16 AM) : 

Her outfit is adorable! it's the best thing i have seen so far

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (10:25 AM) : 

Absolutely gorgeous color combination! I love the yellow coat, with the purple and green peeking out the sleeves.

 

Blogger emergency room said ... (10:44 AM) : 

is that ai tominaga? not usually a fan of color, but this is the perfect combination.

 

Blogger xxx said ... (1:30 PM) : 

I am a fan of color but I find this too lemony. I wished she would have picked a light blue scarf and a red or coral bag. That pesto green is a tough color and yellow may not be its best company.

The disposition of elements is quite perfect though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:02 PM) : 

this is fantastic! yellow is very underrated as a stylish color. i will try to pull it off more this season, with this picture as an inspiration.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:17 PM) : 

This is why your blog is so good. Thank you, Sart. The tea jar sure is a winter must have.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 PM) : 

That is a wonderful combination! The blue bag complements the outfit. Appreciate the lady's taste and thanks for sharing this classy picture.

Regards

Kartik
Fashion Evangelist
www.fashion-networks.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:44 AM) : 

such a fun outfit :) +that hat!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:01 AM) : 

I love her hat! I would love owning one just like that! (And being brave enought to wear it some time in the street!) :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:16 AM) : 

I love the whimsy...I only am brave enough for a slight hint o' whimsy, but her hat, the colors (hint of purple at the sleeve)... fun and harmonious to look at.

 

Blogger Q said ... (10:19 PM) : 

Oh, she is adorable ! The hat is enviable. Let's not even talk about the coat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 PM) : 

This photograph is amazing as much for it's style as for the way it encapsulates her personality- the way she is looking down, her glasses being slightly crooked, the jar of tea. I think if it were more 'flawless' it would also be a lot more bland and less individual. The only thing i would change is the cargo pockets on her pants.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:26 AM) : 

I'll bet this shot is on dozens of designer idea boards right now....

 

Blogger Ann (MobayDP) said ... (8:39 AM) : 

I love it! :-D

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (7:50 PM) : 

Totally agree with you -- love the color coordination. And absolutely love the hoodie with rat's ears.

 

Blogger Calenna said ... (2:57 AM) : 

Hmm.. she's a bit of an odd cat to me.. from a fashion standpoint only. I don't think I'd see her walking down the street and feel inspired by her fashion-forward-ness. However, from an artistic standpoint, I love this photo - the colors ARE beautiful together, the depth and perspective draw your eye right into the photo, and her expression is 'just so.' I love that you revealed that she is also carrying a jar of herbal tea. I don't think she should be looking at the camera AT ALL. Great composition, Sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:29 AM) : 

Are you kidding?! She is grown woman hearing a hat with ears. That look is so Williamsburg late 90's. Can't stand it. Grow up, girl.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:20 PM) : 

She is charming...the colors look so 'spring-y' but work nicely for a gloomy, winter NY day

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:36 AM) : 

I don't comment often, but I feel compelled to comment on the charming mix of colors. Simply stunning.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:16 PM) : 

Adorable and fun outfit.
I love when people wear something not that serious.
We should have more fun with clothes.
Well we should have more fun and laugh generally :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:06 PM) : 

i like the colors, and i LOVE the hat!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:08 PM) : 

Its an older post I know, but isn't this the same woman/photographer whom you've posted several times before, leaning on a car, in Paris, always offbeat but very stylish?
And on her, I love the yellow coat with the hat and olive scarf. On me it would look like a fireman on a bad day or something.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:10 PM) : 

we love you yup yup!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:46 AM) : 

this combination of color is rather boring to me. she could have gone more bold perhaps with bright gloves or a rich purple into the mix to contrast against the yellow coat. That hat is atrocious. i must say this usage of colors is dull and rather uninspiring.

 

Blogger Érica Martinez said ... (11:44 AM) : 

happy mix!

(PS: hi! I'm from Brazil and NOW we are entering on F/W season, that's why i'm a little late at this blog... See ya!)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting