This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Wandering The Alleys of Florence: Cobbler's Custom Shoe Shop

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, November 30, 2007

Wandering The Alleys of Florence: Cobbler's Custom Shoe Shop







Comments on "Wandering The Alleys of Florence: Cobbler's Custom Shoe Shop"

 

Blogger laia. said ... (9:51 AM) : 

I think I'm in love.

These are my favorite kinds of pictures; the real life that seems to have been forgotten in the past somehow.

Beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 AM) : 

I love these little shops - wish I could have them in my neighborhood! Things would just seem more cared about and special. Thanks for the peek, Sart.

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (10:07 AM) : 

very elegant shoe ! nice textured leather.

 

Blogger DS said ... (10:34 AM) : 

As a shoe designer this is an awesome collage of fotos for me to look at, I love Italy for all their artisans, and of course a cobbler's workspace is one of my favourite places!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

That´s really beautiful shots.
I love the process of making a custom shoe, I think this is a work like art, is handmade like a paint or something like.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

Wow. That shoe!

 

Blogger Jingoist said ... (11:01 AM) : 

Awesome. Purely classic craftsmanship that you just can never appreciate enough without reminders like this.

OK, so how much were they?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 AM) : 

I KNOW THAT SHOP!! i lived there this summer. it was absolutly gorgeous, and smelled so good in there.
can you post more photos of florence???

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 AM) : 

these pitures are oddly beautiful.

how do you suppose one gets a job as a shoemaker?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 AM) : 

I want that life, and that talent.
Very much an art form.
Beautiful photos too!

 

Blogger Mitchell Weiss said ... (12:17 PM) : 

Sart,
I love your blog. The daily photos inspire me. I miss the small shops like these that I walked by when I studied in Firenze. But, your photos bring me back. Stunning shots as always!

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (12:29 PM) : 

I like the second photograph very much...I'll call it "Portal"...It's cool when something feels familiar and you're not sure why.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:06 PM) : 

i watched a documentary about this shoe maker and his shop broadcasted in japan a few months ago. it was really great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:07 PM) : 

Ah, yes, I've missed these kinds of photos, too--they're what made me fall in love with this site to begin with. Such a great reminder of the craftsmanship of fashion, rendered with such reverence. I love these images.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:43 PM) : 

If those shoes are remotely affordable.. please post his contact :p

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:07 PM) : 

i love that kind of shoe. it's called "budapester" and it's a classic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:12 PM) : 

what's the name of the shop? addresss?

 

Blogger MEO said ... (2:19 PM) : 

w i ciabattini fiorentini!

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (2:43 PM) : 

The cobbler looks Chinese to me. Are you sure this is not just another sweatshop?!?! :-)

Gorgeous shoes but not very practical for NYC life. I imagine someone wearing those shoes must have a chauffeur or a car or take a taxi cab everywhere.

 

Blogger shabnom said ... (2:59 PM) : 

Wow, the craftsmanship and the kind of intimate feel of it is magical. This set also kind of reminds me of the two Italian barbers from ages back. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:07 PM) : 

I think that I know exactly where this is. I studied photography in Florence. This is right around the corner from S. Lorenzo Church. Also around the corner from Il Porcuspino, one of the best restaurants in Florence, if not Italy.

 

Blogger Mr. Badami said ... (3:50 PM) : 

I love that it's a Japanese guy in a Florentine cobbler's shop!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:01 PM) : 

is this stefano bemmer?

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (5:18 PM) : 

Mmmmmm....those shoes are delicious!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:18 PM) : 

Asian sweatshop in Florence, Italy?! This is a Japanese bespoke shoe maker, Mr. Fukaya Hidetaka of IL MICIO di Hidetaka Fukaya. Price? From 2950 Euros. (For more information see the magazine "Last" No. 7).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:33 PM) : 

So charming, so beautiful. I've always wanted to go to Florence. Thanks for the peek!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:58 PM) : 

Impeccable shoes. Where is this shop?

 

Blogger Meg said ... (8:04 PM) : 

There are shoes, and then there are Shoes. These are definately in the latter group. Great set of shots!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:10 PM) : 

The stack of dust covered shoes makes me kind of sad.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:55 PM) : 

oh, wow! S2 It's so important to show this kind of backstage. :) And the formal qualities of the pics just add to the feeling of 'care'. This is definetely about Elegance, Style and Dignity.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:59 PM) : 

Oh! And his pants seem to be in a very cool length ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:11 AM) : 

Such a pleasure to get a glimpse of an artist at work! He must have a distinctive style of his own. Note his fine shoes, and bright shirt.

 

Blogger designerman said ... (1:24 PM) : 

Lusting for those shoes...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:51 AM) : 

Where is this shop? How do we contct them? I would love a pair of these shoes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:14 PM) : 

These kinds of posts are wonderful to see. I especially love the picture looking in through the front door. These pictures, and those of the previous post really highlight that your talents lie not only in finding great people or style to take pictures of, but that you also know how to take beautiful pictures. It's one of the things that really sets "The Sartorialist" blog apart from most fashion blogs.

Have you had formal photography training? Informal training? Did you teach yourself? Just experiment?

 

Blogger Alicia said ... (7:43 PM) : 

This entry gives me that feeling that something wonderful is hiding just around the corner, to reward the curious and never be seen by the oblivious. I wonder how many people have walked by this place every day.
I love the play between the traditional stlying of the shoe and it's ultra-modern shape.
I'll take a pair with a 4 in heel underneath. :)

 

Blogger Alicia said ... (7:47 PM) : 

p.s. The juxtaposition in the front of the store of the modern, clean furnature with the wooden boxes covered in postage stamps is itself fantastic. The peek into the workshop shevles is just plain good seeing. Well done, Sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:41 AM) : 

Asian model blogger: for someone with that kind of name, your views seem to be a tad racist. The suggestion that an Asian person cannot be an Italian (and yes, you do get Asians (race) who are Italian nationals) shoemaker, is both ignorant and disturbing. Just because the gentleman is Asian, you have to assume that its a "Chinese sweat shop"; that's nonsense man.

Energie

 

Blogger Thomas said ... (12:13 PM) : 

My friend just returned from Paris and Venice full of stories, and up until now I've been dealing well with wanting to kill him. But these pictures have pushed me over the edge...I must go to Europe NOW.

 

Blogger Seattle Bites said ... (7:07 PM) : 

How I wish I could find a cobbler like this in the states. My handmade shoes that I got in Europe still are the nicest and most comfortable I have ten years after I got them in a small town in Italy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:38 AM) : 

Those shoes are simply gorgeous! There are so much beauty in them! They are simply perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:33 PM) : 

I've been there last June during Pitti Uomo Exhibition. I thought that I've already seen everything in made to measure shoes (I've got a lot of aquaintances in this corporation) but Mr Fukaya's work is simply amazing. Lasts are incredible! A long time since I felt such an emotion with shoes! Promised, my next MTM pair will be made by him.

Marc Guyot from Paris, France.

 

Blogger Prêt à Voyager said ... (4:59 PM) : 

I'm smitten with the photo of the wood boxes and stamps.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:31 AM) : 

My goodness! I love those photos and the shoes! I am from Singapore and we do not get such beautiful pieces of art, such a pity.

I love how the shoe maker is wearing a piece of art as well. Amazing!

Can we have more shoe blogs?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:51 PM) : 

may i know where this shop is?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:10 AM) : 

For all wondering where this shop is, here is the info. As a Japanese living abroad (and a shoe-lover), I was impressed not only his craftsmanship but also his history!

Il Micio Di Fukaya Hidetaka

Via Dei Federighi, 6/R
50100 Firenze, Italy

+39-(0)55-212295

 

Blogger Miguel said ... (11:35 AM) : 

I need those shoes... I've got to have them!

 

Blogger Adrienne said ... (8:50 PM) : 

These shoes are so beautiful. I've never seen a pair of oxfords as perfect.

 

Anonymous bed frame said ... (1:48 AM) : 

For me custom made shoes are the best. Because that shoes is definitely unique and only for your feet. You can assure the quality of it. And you can choose the design of shoes you want.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting