This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Subtle & Dramatic Part 2, Hong Kong

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, October 25, 2007

On the Street.....Subtle & Dramatic Part 2, Hong Kong



Really like the look but I really love her makeup

Young ladies here in hong Kong seem to be doing some really nice work with subtle white makeup

Notice how she has softened her eyebrows and made her lips very flat and matte with just the slightest use of white.

It is one of those things that you can't really put your finger on when she walks by but you can just tell she is doing something interesting.

By the way she is not a stylist or designer - she works in an executive recruitment office.
Going to a "corporate job" with that kind of style is why the young ladies here are pretty cool.

Comments on "On the Street.....Subtle & Dramatic Part 2, Hong Kong"

 

Blogger odini said ... (10:57 AM) : 

Sart, i don't get your point, it's not very nice to look sick! You can do subtle and pretty make up, without looking pale as snow...

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (10:58 AM) : 

She's beautiful, and I love the attached necklace on the sweater!

 

Blogger Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said ... (11:04 AM) : 

it's such a great look from head to toe. The embellished shirt, the details on the skirt, I love the shoes, and her make-up just completes it. So wonderful.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:11 AM) : 

i dont think she looks one bit sick

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 AM) : 

i dont know if i like the makeup. dusting one's face with white powder just makes one look in need of lotion. other than that, i do like her skirt and shoes. i dont think she looks sick, either.

 

Blogger winniethefish said ... (11:59 AM) : 

this is something u can only find in hk..
i adore the way hk gals look..
they nv disappoint u.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 PM) : 

What is the point in making yourself even more pale? I think she would look fierce in crimson lips and strong eyebrows!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:17 PM) : 

i really don't like it all. not the makeup or the outfit.

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (12:27 PM) : 

I love the understated look. She does have the subtle look down pat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:38 PM) : 

I dont like the makeup i think she looks sick too! she needs a little more of color! life life!!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:41 PM) : 

i think she's gorgeous and natural and a delight. i LOVE that skirt.

 

Blogger stacy said ... (12:57 PM) : 

I think the nude makeup and light metallic shoes compliment each other perfectly and seem to give her a couple extra inches of height.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 PM) : 

Why has there been so few postings of men recently. There are endless outlets for admiring and commenting on women's fashion but one of the things I've always enjoyed about sartorialist was the amount of focus on high-end menswear. Let's see some more of that, ok? After all, sartorial refers to tailoring and when I think of tailoring I think of menswear.

No disrespect to the ladies, they're all lovely and their clothes are interesting and marvelous but I can see a plethora of female looks in so many places.

 

Blogger Lisa said ... (1:07 PM) : 

she looks very natural and pretty.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:21 PM) : 

I agree with Sart on the pale makeup. maybe we dont' want everyone wearing it, but it still looks interesting, not sickly, and can work for some people. And her face isn't white white.
I want her shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:53 PM) : 

I like her look except for the makeup, she looks a little ill. I mean while the whole Kabuki influence might be there it doesn't look attractive to me personally.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 PM) : 

i love these hong kong photos - they are the kind that made me start reading this blog and are so refreshing compared to the (admittedly stylish) fashionistas that we see during the various fashion weeks. i'm glad that the ads help make that possible. oh, and i like her makeup, it's natural and pretty and well done.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:05 PM) : 

we find you everywhere in the world ;) nice work, fun to see what's happening in Hong Kong..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:15 PM) : 

first of all she doesn't look sick, she looks delicate, underexposed and has a twinge of danger to her. This is a very strong look for her given her features, background and tradition.

 

Blogger The Image Coop said ... (2:33 PM) : 

Unbelievable eyes, she's got a headstart with those.




www.theimagecooperative.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:37 PM) : 

This is why I love this blog. This woman is very stylish while still looking like a normal person - she has everyday beauty, not model beauty, and her look is obtainable. I love the hardware on the shirt.

 

Blogger jamesylala said ... (2:38 PM) : 

What a bunch of Wendy Winers....I mean Whiners! This Cutie is rocking an awesome ensemble! Just because you are not used to another countries idea of beauty means you should diss it! Yoew. Come on!!! How many women would look so much more ravishing if they played there looks pale. It brings out bone structure and highlights form....enough with the tarted up looks. Bring on the beautiful and well dressed pale!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:47 PM) : 

i don't think she looks sick. i wish i had the guts to pull off this kind of makeup...
but i don't think i would have noticed her makeup if you hadn't pointed it out. i think the subtleness of it would be a lot clearer in person.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:58 PM) : 

I think she looks nice with her make-up done like that, its really soft and nice, and I also think the way she has done her hair, really clean and simple, adds to the effect too. I don't think she looks sick at all... very healthy indeed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:13 PM) : 

i guess we're just obsessed with looking 'healthy' with an orange tan. i think these posts have signified that not only great style comes from ny.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:20 PM) : 

pretty. she semms a weel-groomed person. i like this aspect


hi, fabulous sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:56 PM) : 

I'm a native HKer, currently living abroad and I must say your photos of the chic ladies in my hometown are definitely making me a bit homesick. Thank you for your excellent work, and I look forward to see some stylish Hong Kong men in your upcoming posts!

 

Blogger dnqcnn said ... (5:28 PM) : 

really sweet,,
the look the make up..
it matches! i like it a lot

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (5:50 PM) : 

for anon 12:59
you are right
since I just covered the womens collections I have had a lot of womens images to post

I am sure when I return to NYC I will be shooting more mens looks when they are right

I think most people would rather see a few really good looks than a lot of so-so looks

 

Blogger odini said ... (5:56 PM) : 

Okey i may have sounded a little harsh. Some have missunderstood me, i don't meen she looks bad, i just don't think mattening white makeup has ever worked. I have seen it on some runways at a few occasions, but it has always left me feeling that it doesn't flatter the girl at all. On the other hand, Jamesy; You don't have to be tarted up to wear some blush, or just go au natural on the lips. As I said, you can do pretty subtle makeup without going all white canvas..

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (6:19 PM) : 

She is quite beautiful and I love her outif, the unique blouse and the cute skirt!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:22 PM) : 

eh. i dunno. i think her brows need some work..and i've never been a fan of gems attached to sweaters like that....almost like a jewelry dickie.

the woman in the background in white has done an amazing job with her makeup, though.

trust me, sart. i'm a professional.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:41 PM) : 

Such skillfully applied make up...her skin looks luminous and it really brings out her beautiful almond eyes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 PM) : 

i am seriously loving your HK pics. rush to this site everytime i have a comp.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:29 PM) : 

Thank you....I haven't been back to Hong Kong since the 90's and I remember seeing the corporate workers walking around in cool clothes.....lots of style in the masses..... Hope you make it to the night markets! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 PM) : 

she's wearing makeup? i really thought she needed chapstick or something. by the way guys, being asian myself, i can tell you that 'pale' is a look desired because it means you're not a day laborer, that you're probably rich, and/or you're mixed nationalities. so... it's certainly not embracing your "natural" look. they sell "skin whitening cream" all over asia because many, many women think skin with any color whatsoever is dirty and dull. sadly, my aunts included. i can't tell you how much grief and weird looks i get when i visit them because i rock my natural, healthy (non-orange, mind you) asian-american tan.

so.. ashy lips and skin is not really my idea of beauty. the outfit's cute though.

 

Blogger tanya said ... (9:02 PM) : 

For me the white powder works because you end up just looking at her eyes, which has such a strong shape.

 

Blogger _ said ... (9:43 PM) : 

Western readers need to understand that the Asian ideal of beauty IS that "Pale as snow" is beautiful. I mean, obviously, China dolls have always had porcelain skin and jet black hair. That ideal of beauty still stands, you know. Coco Chanel revolutionized the West with the idea of tan skin over porcelain complexions, but in Asia, pale/white skin continues to be the standard of beauty. It is perceived as a feature of the upper class and social standing. "Rich" girls are pale. "Workers/working class" girls are dark-skinned. To be tan is almost equal to being a servant. All the maids are pretty much immigrants from the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, etc. You can see them crowding the pedestrian bridges everywhere in Central on Sundays.

white make-up accentuates eyes and makes them look larger. Many Asians utilize this. (ganguro girls from Japan take this idea to the extreme).

I think she looks gorgeous, very sculpted, yet soft. I am glad you are enjoying the styles in Hong Kong, Sart. A lot of girls get their clothes for inexpensive prices in Mong Kok. the cheapness (in quality and prices hahah) allows us to experiment much more. I'm also really glad you're bringing the world's attention to Hong Kong as a city of fashion. Our proximity to Tokyo often overshadows us, but there are unique qualities in Hong Kong style to offer as well.


sorry for the essay, i'm just extremely glad to see some attention being given to Hong Kong style at last.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 PM) : 

she looks beautiful and fresh.
delphine

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:32 PM) : 

I’m not sure she purposefully drew attention away from her eyebrows…us, ladies from the Far East, often just have very faint and sparse eyebrows

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:23 AM) : 

Loving the HK pics but where are the guys? I'm curious how the men are rocking it out there.

 

Blogger Blaise said ... (12:40 AM) : 

She has a great outfit, suits her body type well..

But I don't see any make up.. Are you sure she's wearing make up?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 AM) : 

To people who think this model looks sick, and are outraged by the fact that someone might want to look pale: there is a different sense of beauty in China. In China, it's considered much more beautiful to be pale, and in the summer many women carry parasols. It's not wrong, or sickly, it's just not a look Americans are used to seeing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 AM) : 

great portrait on the close-up. i love the depth of field!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:13 AM) : 

Sart, there's still a lot of beautiful and stylish people in Hong Kong, please find more!! :>
Anyway, glad that you're here, welcome!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 AM) : 

I'm getting an absolutely wonderful impression of Hong Kong.

So far the posts go to show that you don't need boldness and lots of eye catching details/colours to actually look beautiful. Hong Kong isn't about drawing attention to yourself with any means possible.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:22 AM) : 

i just saw you on ABC NEWS! i'm so happy for you! that's really neat! YOU'RE NEWS! haha. okay, i'm done.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:36 AM) : 

her makeup is awful.It looks as if a 3 yr old was playing with talc. I just don't get how alot of you say this is pretty. Maybe you all are trying to kiss up.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:51 AM) : 

Is that a necklace attached to a sweater? And are those lose shorts? Or a skirt? I love that I can't quite tell... it makes the look both breezy and interesting, which is rare.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:17 AM) : 

I really appreciate it when you put in your commentary about why you like a particular look. So often I think, "What, she looks like she's wearing a sack - why is that photoworthy?" And though I may not agree with you, it's interesting to see exactly what your perspective is.

 

Blogger Calenna said ... (8:29 AM) : 

So - white is the current look in HK? Interesting, Sart! It IS very minimalist, but I wonder if her brows are TOO sparse? They don't seem to have any definition at all... what do people think of that?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:57 AM) : 

She is beautiful and don't think she looks sick at all. It's interesting to use this kind of make up. Why should she look like a L.A rollerskater if she works in a office? I really think is special

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:56 AM) : 

Hong Kong is one of the best places on earth. Your pictures make me miss it so.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

I've just got back from Hong Kong (to Hungary) and I must say I loved the way girls dress there. It's wild and stylish without trying too hard.
However, I don't like the makeup and the sweater of this girl. I like her skirt (or is it a pair of shorts?) and shoes.
In HK I saw that drugstores are full of whitening products (for skin). I cannot see the point there...HK girls are beautiful as they are, they need no white skin!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 AM) : 

As an asian myself I would like to point out that Asian beauty is all about staying out of the sun and having fair skin. I can't say the girl featured would be one of the palest I've ever seen but she does have a lovely natural look that isn't over done with makeup. I think she looks gorgeous, great photo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:51 AM) : 

remember, Asian people have different point of view on beautiful skin.
The fairer the better.

I dont think she looks sick either.
It's interesting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:30 PM) : 

HK was my 2nd home (I'm in my 3rd here in Barcelona), and I do miss living there a lot. The city has the same vibrance as the women who walk her streets.

That said, I don't see the 'ill' in this photo. Her smile accentuates her perfectly subtle style. Beauty doesn't always have to jump out and be arresting.

P.s. I used to live in this area, right by the escalators...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 PM) : 

The white makeup is fascinating. It's hard to see exactly what she's done in this photo but I'm intrigued. There's a lot of mystery here. Isn't that what glamour's all about?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 PM) : 

Her eyebrows are a bit sparse looking. She shouldn't have lightened her eyebrows if she was going to wash out the rest of her face.
I'm a little disappointed, Sart! I thought you'd take photos of a different sort of fashion. You should go in the subways - you can easily find ladies who dress well there.

 

Blogger WendyB said ... (10:03 PM) : 

Very nice.

 

Blogger Kia said ... (12:52 AM) : 

SHes pretty and natural. =) i love her outfit super cute!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:11 AM) : 

She's beautiful,top the makeup.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:38 AM) : 

This is my first time visiting your blog and I LOVE it. It's so nice to see fashion laid out with no ulterior motives. Keep up the good work!

 

Blogger Paige said ... (3:00 AM) : 

Hmmm about the comment of you having too many shots of women. I do agree, even though I use them myself the most of course, being a woman and all. But it is time to give the men a bit of fashion to look at too. As you already stated.

Also, I know you have a life and a job and what not, but I would be really interested in seeing shots of different fashions from all around the world. Of course I don't mean anything too extreme. Just fashion that simply looks good. And fashion with a little change in pace, as I mentioned before.

Hmmm I think I might want to start a fashion revolution!!!

 

Blogger Paige said ... (3:04 AM) : 

By the way, while I was distracted in my comment about another's comment I also wanted to say, how do you know she's wearing white make-up? It's a common chinese thing to do of course right? I'm a bit unsure, but I'm assuming though. I think this is a great shot and that the woman looks wonderfully simplistic and clean. But her make-up to me just looks like her natural self as if she applied none at all. Well, maybe that's the point. But if so, then why any make-up at all? For the subtleties again I suppose? I do admit that cover-up sometimes does make my face a different better shade than before. Maybe that is why.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:25 AM) : 

she looks beautyful. HOw can people say she looks sick?

Her make up is soft and very elegant

 

Blogger Romeika said ... (7:12 AM) : 

She looks gorgeous and with that amazing skin she doesn't need much make-up anyway. The look is pretty clean as well.. Oh, i miss warmth.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:50 AM) : 

When i down the streets everytime,I wonder when i could see pics from hong kong putting up in The Sartorialist and now you did!Very nice photos.Can't wait for the beijing's one.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:27 AM) : 

she's wearing make up?
I thought her lips were pale due to dehydration or something....
seriously.
otherwise, i like the hair; not too fussy but still neat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:01 AM) : 

ohmygod.
i am such a fan and the fact that you're here in hong kong is absolutely amazing!! hope you're having a wonderful time doing what you do best : )

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:38 PM) : 

It's such a treat to see HK street fashion after what seemed like a monotonous parade of fashion editors and socialites. Keep up the great work!

 

Blogger The Employee said ... (8:34 PM) : 

Love the white makeup. I'm pretty sure Lanvin (probably confused the shows) used a similar highlighting as predominant makeup on its runway.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:19 PM) : 

Her white translucent skin is coveted look in Asia. You can see that her skin has been rarely touched by the sun and that she takes care to protect it from it harsh rays.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:41 AM) : 

Love it, love her, love the makeup. I especially love what she's doing with her hands!

 

Blogger Indio Sangriento said ... (3:23 AM) : 

I think they all look the same way

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:51 AM) : 

I really love her skirt and her shoes.But the best is everything together.

 

Blogger שלומית נעים נאור said ... (4:47 PM) : 

I admire your work.
thanks for this great blog.

 

Blogger Liv said ... (5:13 PM) : 

All of you who think she looks sick, go to Japan and look at how many skin whiteners you can find there in a supermarket. It's an intense amount. It's just a different view on things ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:57 PM) : 

amazing !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:27 PM) : 

It's amusing to see how other cultures "interpret" fashion, especially when one isn't flooding the LV and Channel boutiques to try to "look the part".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:49 PM) : 

i must agree with one of the anonymous comments and jamesy's - out west people obsess about tanning and being "orange" but in many asian countries - and i am from manila - being pale is something many women actually do find attractive. i love how the sartorialist can see beauty in different cultures. i can't wait for the time when you and your camera will take on the streets of manila!!

 

Blogger martinez said ... (8:51 PM) : 

realmente muy bueno su blog..!!!! me gusto y espero tener un blog tan rico como el de usted..!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 PM) : 

I love her style. Very original!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:59 PM) : 

Envious in Boston, whilst staring at my shapeless toothpicky ones--so many women from this part of the world have simply gorgeous legs, there has to be some truth to certain stereotype observations......

 

Blogger Samantha said ... (10:13 AM) : 

no offense sarah.. but i thought the makeup was horrible. i mean i am Chinese too and i totally understand the notion of fairness equates to beauty by chinese standards! however, this is what i call really lazy makeup and i am sure my friends and i can do so much better than this!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:41 PM) : 

I am the one who made a comment above about being back from Hong Kong to Hungary and not understanding why HK girls want to look pale.
I just wanted to say I am totally aware of the fact that there are cultural differences in what we consider beautiful. Still, I don't get the idea of trying to change skin color. Here in Hungary people want to look tanned. I think a nice, smooth healthy skin is beautiful, no matter what color it is. Fake tan is so artifical...and I guess fake paleness is the same.
Of course, this is only my opinion.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:27 PM) : 

I am caucasian (n. european descent) and use white powder as an accent/highlight for my brow bones, cheekbones and at hair line to acheive a sculpted, ethereal look. It makes me look porceline and I always get compliments. Not everyone digs a tan or faux orange glow. To recreate this look delicately, try the Chanel loose powder that comes w/ a puff in the top for a controlled highlight and glow. It really looks lovely.

 

Blogger pearlaceous said ... (6:47 PM) : 

Anon 2:22! I found the report of The Sartorialist on abc's website!! Thank you for telling us! My dream is to see The Sartorialist in action and in the news clip you see him do just that!! You would also probably recognize the people he photographed in the clip :)

The link is:
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3777453

If it doesn't work, you can find the news clip by going to abc.com > then click on news > and type in: "the sartorialist" and it'll be the first result :)

Sorry Sart for advertising that you were on the news, but it is too good to be missed.. We read your blog daily and follow your new posts, but this lets us see you in action which is great!! :)

 

Blogger Sandra Centurión said ... (9:08 AM) : 

it`s a good look for a very young lady, only. I like the skirt.

 

Blogger anthrok8 said ... (9:56 PM) : 

You know, I don't care for any of the individual pieces in the outfit, and I don't care for the makeup, either. (necklace stitched to top= my 80's nightmare)

But put together, the whole look is really interesting. Not sure why, but the sum is so much greater than its parts. Maybe it's because *she* looks like she likes what she's wearing?

I guess that's style magic working, isn't it?

Also, I like her sleek hair over the volume of the clothes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:55 PM) : 

i personally love the pale makeup look. but yes, she does need a bit of color on her lips- she couldve of done a lip shade of her natural skin undertone and less matte finish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:57 AM) : 

excellent work! love hk!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting