This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Metalworks Plant, Milan

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, August 27, 2007

Metalworks Plant, Milan




When I was in Milan for the Salone last April I stumbled across this metalworks plant.

It seemed like everywhere I turned was another fantastic creation. They must make these for store displays and the stage.

I really loved the little newspaper hat that the sweeper had made for himself - creative is as creative does.

Comments on "Metalworks Plant, Milan"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 AM) : 

Love the portrait of the sweeper. Lighting,pose,composition. Excellent.

The stuff they make is terrific as well.

 

Blogger MSA said ... (10:08 AM) : 

I love the egg bar! What is the name of this operation and where is it in Milan?

MSA

 

Blogger ruby-crowned kinglette said ... (10:45 AM) : 

i believe your calling is portraiture... your chronicle of beautiful people in beautiful clothes is nice, but i feel where you really shine and what i find most interesting are your shots of everyday people in their work environment. keep it up, i think you're onto something.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:10 PM) : 

this wonderland is absolutly charming. think it is like a dying trade, you'll be seeing less of this in the future?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:04 PM) : 

this man gives me hope for a one day happy and eccentric marriage, and it's all in the hat and glasses.

 

Blogger Colin Flora said ... (1:09 PM) : 

I read a while back that the way each shop folds its paper hats is unique. Also, the same article claimed that this practice started among stone masons and carvers. Marble dust leeches all moisture from your hair and makes the follicle die. Or so I read....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:43 PM) : 

wonderful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:13 PM) : 

What an fantastic egg! Like looking into a secret fairytaleworld, specially with that small crown on the top! It reminds me of a fairytale I loved (and still do)when I was a kid, and his simply perfect paperhat reminds me of my grandma who always made those for me and my cousins. Beautiful pictures!

 

Blogger L said ... (6:59 PM) : 

Wonderful! It would be awfully nice if you gave a hint for those who'd like also to stumble upon it...

 

Blogger O!Lightning said ... (7:11 PM) : 

nice Hat!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (8:04 PM) : 

all i remember is that it was on Via Tortona around the corner from the Armani studio's

I don't think it is usually open to the public but I think it was open because of the Salone.

 

Blogger tanya said ... (8:53 PM) : 

there's a man who sells a sweet tofu breakfast drink called taho at the corner of our office block, and he makes a similar newspaper hat too! I keep thinking I should ask him how to make one, and then repeat it on a heavily starched piece of cloth and give it to him. (and make another one for myself!)

 

Blogger Landis said ... (10:02 PM) : 

i have that hat.

but mine is red.

 

Blogger khin said ... (10:18 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger khin said ... (10:40 PM) : 

every single one of your fotos is so filled with bliss. I appreciate it

 

Blogger dangermouse said ... (1:22 AM) : 

I made a set of those hats in fluorescent paper and added pleated and folded fans to them like plumes. The collection was inspired by the peacock.

The hat is a tradtional Japanese printer's hat that they wore to use to keep the ink off their hair.

Currently working on a set in organdy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 AM) : 

how fantastic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:51 AM) : 

also, the egg reminds me of the dalí museum in figueres ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:00 AM) : 

I was there too...it was really cool, very enchanting...fairy-like kind of place...and the creations actually moved!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:35 AM) : 

I think that you visited the Teatro alla Scala workshops, where the handmade works for the production are created.

here is the link http://www.teatroallascala.org/public/LaScala/EN/Ansaldo/index.html

 

Blogger Kate said ... (10:49 AM) : 

Saw a hat like that on the street in Barcelona last month. Love your pictures!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 PM) : 

I absolutely agree with Stephanie here. I really admire your shots of "real" people, who look as though they've got a different story to tell. They're so much inspiring than the fashion show crowds, all of whom dress to get snapped anyway. One newspaper hat is worth a thousand Thom Browne trouserlegs, if you ask me. More, please.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:13 PM) : 

Lovely, Sart. The horse and the hat!

 

Blogger Blue Floppy Hat said ... (5:35 AM) : 

It looks like, well, dreamland. Or a very cool museum exhibit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:24 PM) : 

I also love these photos and the modest, hidden stories behind them, even when they don't get that much explicit response. As stephanie s describes it above, it feels like some of your most expressive photography - if I may say so without sounding like a presumptuous ar$e.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting