This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.......Summer Knits, Greenwich Village

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, July 23, 2007

On the Street.......Summer Knits, Greenwich Village

Comments on "On the Street.......Summer Knits, Greenwich Village"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:03 PM) : 

pretty lady, i like her face, smile, hair, sweter and purse!!!, not so crazy about the skirt and shoes on her

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:16 PM) : 

The thing I love about all these portraits are the faces – there’s something relaxed and open about all of them. They’re not posing; they look as though they are calmly gazing into the eyes of an old friend - self-assured and thoughtful. Yes the clothes are interesting, and often charming, but it is the total lack of pretension of the wearers (who are to us blissfully, for the most part, anonymous) that keeps me coming back. So many different images of human beauty. Readers who insist on “naming” the clothes or the people or their workplaces, and those who snark and moan about the clothes, seem to be missing the point.

ATL

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:01 PM) : 

What a gorgeous ensemble! I wish I could see what she looks like without her arms crossed...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:07 PM) : 

I love her hair. mela

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:12 PM) : 

Simply divine! Love the soft pink contrasted with firey red hair. Great shot.

 

Blogger O!Lightning said ... (7:17 PM) : 

love it! Esp. her warm smile and awesome bag. Beautiful figure and lovely humanity.nice contrast of fabric textures too.

 

Blogger stacy said ... (7:36 PM) : 

Love the hair & the bag. Brilliant.

And, I have to compliment ATL for putting into words something I've always felt when visiting this site. Adulations to the photographer!

 

Blogger simplyolive said ... (7:45 PM) : 

not really liking this at all except the slight smile on her face.

(these pieces all together do nothing for me.)

 

Blogger oneredboot said ... (8:03 PM) : 

i love seeing a knit piece in summer! this is a lovely shade of pink, flattering to her coloring and the the summer light. a piece that's both practical and beautiful.

 

Blogger Blaise said ... (9:50 PM) : 

This look has an old-feel to it.. I like the color and the texture that the knit and pleats (skirt) create.. plus the heels and the bag is a great accessory to it.. nothing loud..

 

Blogger KJ said ... (10:07 PM) : 

Though the sweater and skirt aren't to my taste, I can see how they work for her, but the bag just has me shaking my head. It puts me in mind of those awful jungle-scene velvet paintings you find at the flea market, or something.

Also, agreeing with everyone who loves her hair, and her expression and demeanor.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:18 PM) : 

I'm not liking the outfit either. She must be sweltering in that sweater, and I think her feet hurt.

Oh well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 PM) : 

i like this look surprisingly however was she a bit hesitant to take this photo? or shy?

becuase it appears as though she has a lovely belt on and yet she shows her outfit with no confidence (or so it appears that way to me)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:57 PM) : 

I love this photo! The juxtaposition of her soft, vintage-y ensemble with the black chain-link is really wonderful.

It's refreshing to see this bag, which looks like a flea market find and has some personality, rather than the ostentatious, enormous designer suitcases many women you shoot seem to carry.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:01 PM) : 

Is she trying to tell us that she's a "cougar?" Certainly, she's too young for that. A neo-Ringwald, perhaps?

Wish I could see the shoes a bit better. However, most anything with ankle straps is a winner!

mltt

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 AM) : 

I think that the knitwear is too thick for summer.The combination of the knit,skirt,shoes and bag is not a successful one.Sorry,but this photo is not one of my favorites.

 

Blogger upupandaway said ... (1:24 AM) : 

I actually really like the bag with this outfit, but somehow the knit and skirt don't seem to balance to me. Lovely bunch of reds.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:32 AM) : 

Pretty face and nice hair.

 

Blogger Krizia said ... (2:23 AM) : 

dear mr. Sartorialist,

in relation to ATL's comment, my friend and i once had a conversation about how your portraits are so successful. we wonder what is the approximate amount of time that you converse with your subject to get them to look like who they really are sometimes? do you normally have a conversation with them first so that they are comfortable around you? or is asking to have their photo taken usually enough?

fondly,
krizia.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:05 AM) : 

She looks so familiar! That beautiful red hair and those lovely features... Can anybody remember if she'd been photographed before on this site?

 

Blogger Ryfka said ... (5:42 AM) : 

Lovely picture. And what a fantastic bag!

PS
ATL, my thoyghts, exactly!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:47 AM) : 

This is great because it works perfectly for her!

She knows exactly how to do what suits her. I love it because that's what style is really about. And better to be stylish than fashionable, I say.

Now on me...this would look like shit....but that's what makes it so brilliant.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:29 AM) : 

Very sweet!
It looks like an outfit that would be really hard to wear but she really knows how to work it!
I love the pretty shoes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:34 AM) : 

I completely agree with simply olive. Eh.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 AM) : 

Are we really missing the point when we wonder about the origins of the clothes we see so brilliantly photographed here? The root of "sartorialist" is clothing--the adorning of the human being with textiles chosen for effect and self-expression, not protection or comfort. The reason I stop by this terrific blog is because Scott unabashedly loves fashion and not just the wonderful diversity of humans on the earth. I make no apologies for loving clothing, too. And I love to discover who made the marvelous fashions I often find here. The blog is, after all, not called "The Humanist"...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 AM) : 

The fantastic bag clinches it for me (plus the red hair).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:10 AM) : 

Not to disregard ATL's comments, but that looks like the late fall '06 Express cropped cable cardy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 AM) : 

I love the tone on tone: pink / red hair / demeanor...she evokes a delightful emotion, but the real treat is the expression of texture - very architectural.

All white would be too minimalist (and UES) and darker colors would lose the textural depth.

Absolutely brilliant.

And it IS a an '06 Express cropped cable cardy...well done on a budget!

 

Blogger dnqcnn said ... (1:25 PM) : 

pretty skirt
like it like it
makes me feel like summer
come on sun!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 PM) : 

What a beautiful girl! She looks like she is from another era. I also love that it all fits together so perfectly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:04 PM) : 

truly a pretty lady, but..

it's way too hot right now for clothes like that.

cotton, linen, madras!

i mean, here in the northeast you can only rock the warm weather gear for about two months. which leaves the other ten for knits and embroidery.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:23 AM) : 

I had to look at this picture for a few minutes before I formed an opinion. The more I look at it, the more I like it. It's charm is subtle. It's not in your face fashion or style like you see on "fashionistas" or a "standard" geographical look (i.e. uptown or downtown). There's something very sweet and charming about her. You get the feeling that she dresses with her heart. You so rarely see that now. I especially love her handbag! It's an unexpected touch of natural "crafty" adornment. I imagine her discovering it at a flea market or perhaps a vintage store. I love to see people dress in such a personal way.

P.S. To Marline: this blog could very easily be called the Humanist because self-expression through clothing and adornment is something all humans do. There's nothing wrong with combining both the love of fashion and the love of human diversity. After all it's the diversity of ideas coming from the diversity of people that both make and influence fashion. Without diversity of people everyone would look and dress the same.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:43 PM) : 

1. Agree with ATL--thanks for articulating this so well.

2. Personally, I am not crazy about the outfit. But she is a beautiful young woman, and you have captured on film, sart, her inner beauty.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:13 AM) : 

Erm, ATL: yes all true, except isn't this site called "The Sartorialist"? Isn't it the point to remark on the clothing? Besides, one CAN offer a critique without being snarky, I believe. I'm going to do it now: I love her outfit, especially the bag (one truly quirky item), but I'm getting the feeling from numerous comments that it's rather warm in NY at the moment (which, as I scroll down, I see others confirm). I'm imagining she dressed in her air-conditioned home in a brand-new outfit and said through gritted teeth, I don't care HOW hot it is outside, I look great! And she does.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:12 PM) : 

Hot as hell...

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting