This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.......Spring Street, Soho

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

On the Street.......Spring Street, Soho

Comments on "On the Street.......Spring Street, Soho"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:05 AM) : 

OH I AM LOVING LOVING LOVING THIS!

how cute is she, she pulls off that bike quite nicely.
what a great look for summer

 

Blogger Jennifer said ... (9:18 AM) : 

i am so jealous of people willing to make the irresponsible decision to bike without a helmet. it looks and feels soooo much better to ride this way. but i won't, so i don't (ride, that is).
love the head scarf. a beautiful scarf tied on the head is a favorite, and all examples are interesting, because i rarely see it in person.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 AM) : 

I just love the colors!
Wonderful!!

 

Blogger stacy said ... (9:52 AM) : 

She looks effortless, cool and comfortable. What more could you want out of a 'summer bicycle riding' outfit?

 

Blogger T38 said ... (9:54 AM) : 

Nice sunglasses, are so chic in Europe during this summer

Ciao and happy summer to sartorialist readers!

 

Blogger ek said ... (10:21 AM) : 

The helmet issue will never be resolved. It's a matter of personal choice and highly depends on where you ride. When I don't wear a helmet, people stay farther away as they drive by. It also helps to bike with other cyclists.

I was in NY over the weekend and was amazed at the number of vintage city bikes. They're literally everywhere, and everyone riding them looks pretty normal compared to the racer-wannabees with all their spandex and gear.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 AM) : 

Love her red sling bag! Especially with that bright yellow top. What a way to yell out SPRING.

 

Blogger lewehrman said ... (10:42 AM) : 

This says one thing to me...

SUMMER!

She looks so relaxed, even though I know this corner is not.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 AM) : 

I'm sorry, but I just can't imagine riding in city traffic wearing flip flops and without a helmet. She looks lovely, but she would look considerably less lovely if she has an accident.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:01 AM) : 

It's very romantic seeing these young ladies on their bikes, pedaling through quaint neghborhoods. But no helmet, AGAIN?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:21 AM) : 

Very nice - except the silly sunglasses. They may be fashionable (although passe in Los Angeles already) but they are definitely not stylish.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (12:38 PM) : 

Hey anonymous 10:51 AM, you should visit The Netherlands...lots of cute girls without a helmet...riding really fast through the busy streets of Amsterdam...

Why need a helmet?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:09 PM) : 

Pretty, fresh, summery, healthy, and managing to look fantastic in a T-shirt, jeans, and flip-flops. I love this. And I bet she not only bikes without a helmet, but she probably eats sugar sometimes, breathes second hand smoke, eats a bite of meat once in awhile, and every once in awhile even forgets to exfoliate!

The Sartorialist: Place where I can always see great pictures of real individuals, creatively enjoying life and personal - and not worrying about the neurosis du jour!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:21 PM) : 

I know it's been said before, but in the US the majority of cities don't have adequate bike lanes. This makes it fairly dangerous when riding in traffic, unlike places like the Netherlands, which is considerable more bike friendly. Please don't compare the two. I hate how my helmet looks, but jezz, my brother almost died on his bike.

Enough with the bike rant. This photo is a great addition to your bike series.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:33 PM) : 

Great shot. Love the color, the scarf, and especially the sunglasses. Perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 PM) : 

Red, bubble-eyed cicada glasses come out in the summer about every 17 years, don't they?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:58 PM) : 

I'm glad to click on these comments and see folks mentioning the lack of helmets...it's epidemic here in San Francisco...given the high rate of cyclist injuries and fatalities (I watched a driver the other morning turn in front of me and another pedestrian in an intersection and moments later hit a cylist), I can only look at this and think foolish, not fashionable.

 

Blogger trixydelight said ... (2:02 PM) : 

Your site is just amazing...it has become an intergral part of my daily routine. I used to view for fashion inspiration, but your photograhic skills are so incredible, I now feel like I get to visit an awesome museum every day. Thank you, thank you!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

This reminds me of Christian Dior's Spring 2005 collection, with its slogan of "Dior Not War." I think it could be a modern interpretation of the hippie cultural movement - the bright citrus colors of her shirt and bag keep it youthful and optimistic, while the bicycle is the exclamation point to her headscarf and oversize glasses, truly illustrating that fashion is a societal barometer for the world in which we live.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:15 PM) : 

I thought this blog was about style, not safety. Five inch stilletos aren't safe either. Shall we recommend helmets for that too?

As for large sunglasses in LA being passe, who looks to LA for real style tips? The only info I get re LA style is on the backs of P. Hilton, La Lohan, and their ilk (if not wearing panties is fashionable, like it is in LA, by all means, throw away your large sunglasses ladies!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:17 PM) : 

Thank you for bringing back that great accessory, the bicycle. She looks so effortless and healthy in her T-shirt and jeans and flip-flops. Very nice!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 PM) : 

How I love Soho girls...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:34 PM) : 

huh? this is the worst look you have ever posted! so Urban Outfitters - i cant believe you couldnt find someone cooler!!

 

Blogger AM said ... (2:34 PM) : 

I love the colors! I need to get myself a bright sling bag.

I do get concerned about people riding bikes in the city in flip-flops and no helmets. I was hit once (the car wasn't even going that fast) and my helmet kept my head from cracking open. I will always wear a helmet and sturdy shoes, therefore, I will never look awesomely cool on a bike. *Sigh*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:29 PM) : 

Mundane. A look you see on the majority of college campuses in late spring / early fall. Why feature it?

 

Blogger winst said ... (4:33 PM) : 

colors colors colors!!!!!!!!!!!!
fun times and lovely.

 

Blogger Mona said ... (4:38 PM) : 

Oh to have a bike and a place to store it...I am a huge fan of the red bag as well. Shot of red always!

 

Blogger Missy said ... (5:00 PM) : 

Darling and ecological!

 

Blogger -ONE-PUCK- said ... (5:31 PM) : 

I love it when I open your blog and see cute people on bike. It makes me smile..

I can't tell who make the bike, but many of these vintage steel bikes are equipped with 3-speed internal hub, sturmey-archer.
http://www.sturmey-archer.com/
You can still climb a reasonable hill while your bike look aesthetically simple, compared to speed racer gearing system with tens of speed and messy looking derialler.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:13 PM) : 

I love my helmet and I think it is immensely stylish. At $150 it is also the most expensive head covering I own. It is matte black and very sculptural, and matches the leather moto jacket I cycle in when the weather is cool.
I have a neighbor who suffered brain damage in a bike accident and I can tell you there is absolutely nothing stylish about any phase of recovery from a traumatic head injury. Period.
Her outfit is cute, though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:50 PM) : 

gimme a break! THIS is supposed to be stylish? how so? it's the latest trend splash of a hodge-podge of colors, except there is ZERO originality this time.

however, you continue to take EXCELLENT photos that have the ability of transforming the bland into the exciting. alors, kudos a toi!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:54 PM) : 

PS I would really love to see some pictures of people in stylish spandex. It does exist - check out the beautiful outfits by etxe ondo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:02 PM) : 

f Not to be rude, but I don't think this look is that special. Maybe it's because I went to art school, but I've seen this type of outfit in many different incarnations, and often much done better.

Yes she looks cute and comfortable, but I don't think she's got anything strikingly unique going on.

Just my two cents of course.

P.S. Fashion doesn't care about safety. Or the reprecussions of smoking cigarettes, or political correctness!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:09 PM) : 

brings back memories of my nursery school teacher (this was in Soho in the 70's) who had pockets in her socks, and gold stud in her nose. I don't remember anything else about her- so I guess I'd learned the significance of style at a very young age!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 PM) : 

is there anything you don't like. I think we just need one or two examples of your no no's.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:53 PM) : 

Maybe someone needs to design attractive, stylistically variable helmets for people interested in style and safety and avoiding helmet head. Aerodynamics and safety don't have to be the same thing. I'm thinking about the velvet covered dressage helmet, for example. It is a charming photo, although without the bicycle I wouldn't notice her.

 

Blogger Greentea said ... (10:00 PM) : 

I dont particularly see the "wow" factor in this oufit its rolled up pants, flipflops, and a t-shirt
isn't that what you see on every 13 year old girl these days? The only thing that may be the factor to bring the appeal to this outfit would be the bik, but without it, I dont probably find this girl's outfit special at all.

 

Blogger simplyolive said ... (10:02 PM) : 

i LOVE this!!
but when don't i like a bike pic!?
love her whole look, especially the headscarf.
though i'd be afraid of pedaling in those flimsy flip flops!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:27 PM) : 

adorable!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:23 PM) : 

Hey Sart! I think that you should have a list of the top commentators that could change every month, just another idea that could help you expand your site. There are so many lovely people who post all the time and have great things to say. Love this look by the way, SO colorful!!! I LUV her glasses!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:10 AM) : 

THATS IT! I'm getting a cute bike with a basket. You made me to Mr. Sartorialist!

 

Blogger zuccotto said ... (12:39 AM) : 

She looks fine to me, I used to wear scarves like that, and I enjoy the spring colors. Flip flops? d'oh, at some point, in NYC.

I live in the western US. Have a friend who was riding a bike and hit by a car in a neighboring quite small city a few months ago. Pelvis broken in three places, several ribs and collar bone broken, and his helmet protected him as he went through the windshield.

He's getting back together but it ain't easy.

I take the point that Amsterdam is different than at least some US cities.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:03 AM) : 

she's lovely... seems like a little girl.

nice

 

Blogger upupandaway said ... (1:25 AM) : 

I'm happy that something so comfortable and real is getting attention.

I have to agree with the no helmet thing though. No one looks hot six feet under. (Too bad it's going to be decades until most cities offer safe biking areas)

 

Blogger DeepBlueSea said ... (3:30 AM) : 

No helmet?

Come on people, try to find the positive. She's not holding a cigarette! ;o)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:23 AM) : 

Dear fellow readers

Enough with the self righteous comments about bike helmets. Same with cigarettes too, if you please.

Almost everyone pictured on this site is over the age of consent and therefore allowed to make up their own mind. They, and us readers, don't really need your judgemental attitude about their choices.

thanks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:03 PM) : 

this reminds me of my sister a lot... thanks

 

Blogger dnqcnn said ... (1:27 PM) : 

ultimate casual her own style..
and also kinda my style
lovin this

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:11 PM) : 

I thought the idea was that we comment on whether or not we think someone looks stylish. For many people, obviously, somone who elects not to wear a helmet when cycling in a city isn't stylish. How is that not an appropriate observation for a style blog?

 

Blogger Tania Soto said ... (3:24 PM) : 

I just bought Glamour August 2007 issue and I must say I'm glad they're using your comments on jeans.
It's about time!
Kudos to you

 

Blogger FeiraChic said ... (6:46 PM) : 

What is it with yellow lately? Everyone has decided to wear and look fabulous in it!
beautiful shot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:44 PM) : 

For those of us who will not get to see Glamour, what was Scott's comments on jeans??

Tks,

Tania said:

I just bought Glamour August 2007 issue and I must say I'm glad they're using your comments on jeans.
It's about time!
Kudos to you

 

Blogger hyacoda said ... (11:58 PM) : 

Summer lovely, riding through a paddock perhaps but not through the city. It's illegal in both NZ and Australia to not wear a helmet while riding your bike.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:01 PM) : 

speaking of bike helmets...
i ride frequently in the city. i didn't wear a helmet forever, either,until after my 10th or 15th near death experience.
so my question is:
clearly the only reason not to wear a bike helmet is because they make you look like a dork, so...
why hasn't someone designed a sharp one yet?

this could be my million dollar idea.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 AM) : 

Wow.. A great red-yellow combination, headscarf thrown in, pants carelessly rolled up, simple flip-flops... and then those sunglasses. Simplicity, cheeky ease, confidence... Mostly ordinary pieces, but mixed amazingly well only by someone with a great sense of detail.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 AM) : 

Wow.. A great red-yellow combination, headscarf thrown in, pants carelessly rolled up, simple flip-flops... and then those sunglasses. Simplicity, cheeky ease, confidence... Mostly ordinary pieces, but mixed amazingly well only by someone with a great sense of detail.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (8:03 AM) : 

Perfect look! Love it!

 

Blogger AnonymousSeattleite said ... (3:25 PM) : 

I think we could solve this whole helmet argument by giving our photographer the ultimate challenge- to find someone who IS riding in a helmet yet still looks ultra chic and lovely. Can it be done???

 

Blogger Lesterhead said ... (5:00 PM) : 

I just returned from Berlin, and EVERYONE there looks fabulous and rides around on a cute vintage bike. Love it.

 

Blogger valentina said ... (2:48 PM) : 

oh so hippy!!!I love it, favourite pic so far. I want those shades so badly.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting