This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...Dr. Michael Macko, New York

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, May 17, 2007

On the Street...Dr. Michael Macko, New York

One of the things that Americans do very well is working with bright primary colors. Think Ralph, J.Crew, Gap
I guess we are a bold people

On a personal note I want to give a big shout-out to Michael for his recent promotion to:

Super-Vice-President-Special-Adviser-Thoughtful-Consultant-to-All-Things-That-Happen-In-Some-Part-Of-Saks-Fifth-Avenue-Menspeople
(I think that was the title or something close to that)

Michael is one of the guys that I really enjoy talking fashion with - he is tough but hopeful.
Tough but hopeful - that is the best kind of attitude to have in a business like fashion.

He wants/hopes to see good product and he doesn't mind sweating the details.
I've been in the business for a long time and it is always refreshing to meet people that really sweat it and that have been able to maintain a passion for what they do.

Comments on "On the Street...Dr. Michael Macko, New York"

 

Blogger Rafe Totengco said ... (8:53 AM) : 

I've known Michael for a long time now and he is always turned out, well groomed and quite the traffic stopper with his outfits. Whether he's walking the dog or rushing to the shows, he's consistent. A true fashionista! Love the beads!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:54 AM) : 

Dear me! What to do with this Michael fellow?

If he talks tough about anything, it can't be more than 90-seconds worth.

He looks so much fun to be around!

As for the outfit: y'all know he's rocking it so there's not much point in commenting (the belt and bag deserve extra kudos, though)

mltt

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:09 AM) : 

"He wants/hopes to see good product and he doesn't mind sweating the details." Was this a deliberate pun?!

I work in a conservative corporate environment. Even though our company has no dresscode, it is still rare to see this style on a guy in the office. My boss does it with flair though. He often wears primary coloured-trousers and it does take a bold and confident personality to pull them off (or I should say "on"!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:16 AM) : 

I disagree with your comment regarding Americans and bold colors. I think it is the Italians who do bold colors very well. Italians seem to somehow add a bold color in their ensemble without bothering audiences' senses too much.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:18 AM) : 

Please tell fabulous Michael to keep Saks different - truly differentiated. While its great to see that Saks has reinvigorated itself (my store is downtown Boston), I hate the fact that it's looking more and more like Barney's. I just don't want that. Barney's has its place, but I expect Saks to be more classic and rich - not as in death by classics: more like sumptuous, substantial. If it follows Barney's kooky whims it will be death by Barney's.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 AM) : 

Trying too hard. Why the beads? Why push your sleeves up past your elbows?

 

Blogger Resplendato said ... (10:40 AM) : 

Guys like that just rock!

 

Blogger Stratos Bacalis said ... (10:41 AM) : 

Belt, bag AND bracelets are great! i love the red pants/blue shoes combination - works wonders with a white shirt (is his striped or not?). I wonder how a lavender/lilac shirt would look with this!

 

Blogger will anderson said ... (10:59 AM) : 

maybe this will grow on me, but i kind of doubt it. he does look like a fun person to be around, but...well, to each their own. i'm certainly glad that are people around that can pull that off.

 

Blogger lewehrman said ... (11:03 AM) : 

I don't know him but boy I'd sure like to!

As you say in your description of the lampshade lady,
"Fashion should be fun". I whole heartedly agree!

Lovely to meet you at C 's reading last week! Your suit was impeccable!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:08 AM) : 

Don't generalise, Scott. Most of the Americans in Chicago have no idea what to do with colour. (I live in Chicago, and it's quite depressing.)

 

Blogger Butch said ... (12:24 PM) : 

Particularly like the accessories....It's tough to pull off pants of the color he's wearing, but somehow he does.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (12:27 PM) : 

to Anon 10:21

again, why would you want to remove the best parts of the look?

wheres your flair!

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (12:39 PM) : 

Even though this isn't necessarily my style, I have to admire the gentleman for his bold style and fierce conviction to fashion. He probably gets a lot of curious looks but I doubt he cares.

Bravo, Dr. Michael.

 

Blogger Bobby D. said ... (1:42 PM) : 

love the close up, stripes, weave of belt, red, bracelets. very nice shot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 PM) : 

he looks so casually cool and i adore the attention to detail.....tough but hopeful? that makes me feel good about the possibilities in fashion, all this monotony and a costume approach sucks!!!! i'd love to see a guy my age (22) with an individual style like this...elegant, cool, and bold!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:00 PM) : 

love the bracelets.

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (2:08 PM) : 

I like how his aviators and the quality of fabric of the red trousers (at first I thought they were chinos, but they're not...) lend cred to the preppiness of the look.

This is an example of how this blog helps me appreciate style with an esthetic eye rather than falling back on my kneejerk reactions. At first glance, his looked seemed a little "James Spader circa 1985" to me, but then I started noticing the details...and they are unique and fun.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:16 PM) : 

His clothes seem too new. This sort of preppy outfit is supposed to be casual--appropriate for sitting in sand or on the deck of a sailboat. When the shoes look like they emerged from a box ten minutes ago and the bag gives the impression that it arrived via express delivery this morning...well, it begins to look like a costume. The summer camp beaded bracelets reinforce my impression that this look is based in nostalgia and very subtle irony.

Maybe I'm just sensitive because I knew people that dressed like this without irony twenty years ago and to see it presented as high fashion strikes me as a bit silly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:26 PM) : 

"Why push your sleeves up past your elbows?"

Why not? He's not in the army, after all.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:32 PM) : 

He would be a total preppy, topsiders and LL Bean bag, but the bracelets save it.

 

Blogger siongc said ... (2:36 PM) : 

Now HIS accessories are well chosen. They are not all over the place. Small beads, nice belt detailing. Not EVERYTHING is screaming for attention.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 PM) : 

love the shoes, colors, crispness but would prefer if he did NOT wear the belt - it sort of turns it gyranimals looking to me - too much of a good things.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 PM) : 

Isn't it a very classical nautcal outfit? Sperry Top-siders, Nuntucket Reds, nautical hand-bag, the belt... The only thing that really stands out is the beads... but I doubt them, really.
Anyway, he looks perfect. Good reminder that classics shouldn't be boring at all

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:11 PM) : 

Wow thats really nice. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:23 PM) : 

His outfit is better than Cats -- I laughed, I cried. I'd see it again and again!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:40 PM) : 

not down with the beads...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:28 PM) : 

The beads, shells and such strike me as a bit too contrived.

I do like the trousers though.

 

Blogger lady macleod said ... (5:28 PM) : 

What a fun blog. I love the photographs and especially on the streets of NYC.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:40 PM) : 

Dr. Macko certainly does have flair to spare! I like the ethnic and rather piratey flavour the beads impart to a traditional 'preppy' look.

May we assume from the tote that the good doctor will be imminently boarding the Hamptons jitney? Because this ensemble definitely looks like weekend/resort wear to me, and a bit out of context in the city. I wonder would good old beat-up Gucci loafers (even blue ones) worn without socks have looked more urban and just as cool, without bordering so dangerously on silly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:22 PM) : 

Macko is the genius of fashion -- and a true gent.

 

Blogger Cut of cloth said ... (6:26 PM) : 

The man is Smokinnnn....
And Hot!
Beads are fab too
Great Attitude

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:49 PM) : 

refined and classic, but unique. the braclets are the best part. little unexpected twists like that are what make an outfit and reveal a personality

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:18 PM) : 

Oh girl stop!

 

Blogger Colin Flora said ... (8:54 PM) : 

The beads are a great flourish, yet they don't take away from those Reds. The material looks to have a nice hand. Pardon my ignorace, but does anyone know wher ehe got them?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:40 PM) : 

ralph, gap and j.crew all took their cues from the original: brooks brothers. my dad sported this look (without the bracelets, which i love) all through the 60s + 70s. michael should try espradilles too.

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (10:14 PM) : 

a class of its own....
Or better: why class?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 PM) : 

Where are the cuffs on his trousers?! I don't see them!? Not a good sign.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 PM) : 

What are you talking about, anonymous? I saw just earlier today a Chicagoan wearing a pink beret (it suited her well, might I add). Chicagoans wear color well; they just don't do it head-to-toe is all. Love the post - as always, Sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 AM) : 

I love everything, especially the bracelets...except the shoes. It somehow completes the costume, making the look too predictable.

 

Blogger To All Souls said ... (12:57 AM) : 

the look: A Preppie on holiday in the Yucatan

nantucket red, rope belt, boat shoes... I like the beads - it adds and element of playfulness to a somewhat traditional New England look (from a west coast point of view).

all hail gaius preppie!

 

Blogger Elle said ... (1:13 AM) : 

the bracelets were a really great, but easily overlooked, detail. good thing you caught it and showed it to the rest of us
=)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 AM) : 

Interestingly, Dr. Michael Macko and BF-Man both showed up in this blog in the exact same month before - exactly one year ago! May 2006. Coincidence? Or... No, I think I'll stop myself here before I start off on some godawful "thread/fashion" pun.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:59 AM) : 

the composition in this image is really fabulous and he looks funky fresh.
what a cutie pie.

 

Blogger Blaise said ... (5:09 AM) : 

Hello Mr. Sart! Well, my comment really is not about Michael's outfit (I like the bold colors, especially those ethnic-bead bracelets, cool, I think we will get a long pretty well, ), but what do you mean when you say "tough and hopeful"..

And Mr. Rafe Totengco, is that really you? I know you're from the Philippines..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:46 AM) : 

I couldn't agree more with this assessment! Mr. Macko is one of the more wonderful folks in NY fashion. Seeing this picture - and knowing he's getting yet another well-deserved promotion (Go Michael!) - is gettig my day off to a swell start.

 

Blogger RAINHA MAB said ... (9:33 AM) : 

É a vitória da alegria e do bom humor! Muito brasileiro esse estilo!

Ei, amigão, quando vem ao Brasil?

Venha!!!

TRANSLATE:

This is the vitory of happy and cool! Very brasilian style!

Hei, man, when do you come to Brasil?

Come on!!!

( sorry, my english is so bad )

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05 AM) : 

I like it a lot. He weaves in the New England preppy with a sort of street edge, perhaps with the bright red and the bracelets, quite well. The only thing is that it does rather look as though the bracelets are cutting off his circulation.

I commend his boat shoes. Don't see much of those unfortunately.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:19 AM) : 

points for grooming. courageous color choices. elton's sun shades? a fashionista bordering on terrorista!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:09 PM) : 

Love the beads. The first use of a skull I've seen in months that made me smile instead of making me roll my eyes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 PM) : 

Very fresh, classy, and marine. Me likes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

Those pants are so hot they are about to burst into flames! (The no smoking sign is an ironic twist on this composition, Sart.) :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 PM) : 

Anyone know where he got those cool beads?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 PM) : 

His watch is the Tag Heuer Monaco Steve McQueen edition. I think it's a very stylish accessory for a great outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:48 PM) : 

-Just enough whimsy. The red pants are heroic when men don't know what to do with color. Cheers to Michael.

Leonard-Philly

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting