This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Philadelphia Story, p1

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Philadelphia Story, p1

Monday ,on the spur of the moment, I decided to take a train down to Philadelphia.
I thought it would be fun to shake things up a bit and shoot in a different city.

What a bust!
I didn't shoot anything all day.

I know Philly has style - they have several really good stores like Adresse, Joan Shepp and Boyd's so someone there is buying great clothes but I guess they weren't out Monday afternoon.

Funny enough the next day back in New York I see this woman ( who I think looks really great) and she is from Philadelphia!. She came to New York on a shopping trip ( wait, maybe I'm projecting, I'm guessing it was for a shopping trip).
Anyway I will give Philly another chance soon.
I don't pay a lot of attention to "my color palette" stuff but Wow - when someone really understands their coloring and how to use makeup to highlight it, it is so noticeable and inspiring.

Personally my skin tone is a kind of pale blue, any ideas?

Comments on "The Philadelphia Story, p1"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:40 AM) : 

I don't know abou this one, though I like her Philly mainline young DAR look. I love her fur sweater, but it needs a thinner pant to balance it - it would be fabulous with the season's ubiquitous skinny jeans. And I am completely opposed to open toes in the winter, even on a "mild" 60 degree day like yesterday! If you're cold enough to wear fur, then you're cold enough to close your toes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:09 AM) : 

Sart!...Don't give up on Philly...there is style here, but definitely on a small scale!....all the shops you mention are great, so you have your finger on the pulse!...Just know you have a fan following here and we look forward to you giving the city another shot!

 

Blogger Butch said ... (10:11 AM) : 

Scott, pale blue skin shouldn't be a problem--I KNOW! Just go with it! Thinking amphibian touches (a la turtle tank?)--or perhaps something contrasty, with lots of redwood accessories, cuff links, pocket square, socks, etc.

Besides, historical precedent is on your side--our Brit friends will know what I mean and, I hope, offer suggestions.

My own credo: there are no fashion problems--only those too cowardly to put plastic to work!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:20 AM) : 

she's lovely.

how does the fur coat work? does it have buttons down the back like a little girl's dress? or is she supposed to slip it over her head?

 

Blogger S. said ... (10:23 AM) : 

Well she is certainly lovely but, she looks as if she's wearing a faux fur coat backwards.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 AM) : 

Agree she's lovely, but if it's cold enough to wear a fur pullover, it's cold enough to wear some socks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:57 AM) : 

We seem to have hit a time warp where articles about Philadelphia are posted three times in a row...

 

Blogger Kelli said ... (12:19 PM) : 

Her coloring is lovely but the jacket is dominating her otherwise graceful look. I squinted my eyes and couldn't help but think of a gorilla costume that is missing the pants & head. Sorry.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:34 PM) : 

Sart....please come back! You have many fans in Philadelphia who would be happy to point you in the right direction on your next adventure to our little city(although the shops you mentioned are a good start). Next time head to Third St. in Old City and let us know what you think of the boutiques there......

 

Blogger Rebecca said ... (12:37 PM) : 

Pale blue skin should look great with khaki, right?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:50 PM) : 

She is lovely, and the hair and makeup are perfect, but the proportions of her look are all wrong.

 

Blogger marie said ... (1:14 PM) : 

Just don't wear green.

As for make-up, stick to sunscreen and lip-balm. Ok, some foundation if you are going to be in front of a lens. You really don't need help since you have great skin.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:21 PM) : 

she is beautiful! perfect makeup!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:59 PM) : 

What an insprired outfit. I like her mink (?)pullover, that dijon yellow leather bag, leopard print open toe shoes and the PEARLS!!! Talk about casual luxe! She's my kind of girl. Now if I can only get her to buy my handbag and shoes, but that's another story. Hey, maybe she'll read this and voila!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:01 PM) : 

Mmmm Sart....I think she's lovely too, great smile , makeup an attitude, but the fur piece....i don´t know.....that shape is not very flattering.
I have to say though that I apreciate that she dares to wear something new, different, with an edge, and seems very comfortable in it.Maybe that's just what should matter.

 

Blogger jakubowski said ... (2:57 PM) : 

funny thing is that, I recognize a few of your postings as Philly residents... (all photographed on the streets of NYC... )

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:11 PM) : 

the fantastic make-up was the first thing i noticed about her. i just love red lipstick, but it can be dicey getting the right red for your complection -- she certainly did here. i also love the fact that she is wearing open-toed shoes (or are they sandals -- i second the idea about the magnifying glass!) with the fur poncho. very brave, i think, and in this case it looks right. she just looks like a very alive sort of person to me -- i like this woman.

as to the blue problem...you could wear red and white and do a patriotic look. what is the complimentary color, yellow maybe? bleach your hair!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:20 PM) : 

Are you blind? Did you even touch Center City? What about Society Hill, Queen Village Northern Liberties, or Avenue of the Arts? Um..yeah a second trip wouldn't hurt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:51 PM) : 

Go to Northern Liberties or Fishtown in Philly, some good (maybe hipster), but still good stuff going on there!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:46 PM) : 

i really love the idea of this, the casual luxe-ness of it, as someone else said - and the pearls + the red lipstick with her colouring is divine... but i would change it in 2 ways:

1. i'm with those who don't want to see her feet - cold enough for fur = waaay to cold for those shoes.

2. the proportions look wrong because she isn't exceptionally tall, so there isn't enough length in the leg to balance out the boxy fur on top. a high (closed in) heel, probably a point would be best for even more length, would make this outfit perfection IMHO

but that said (!) she is a lovely looking lady and her outfit is great and mostly very chic. and scott you are so right about the makeup/colouring thing :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 PM) : 

Once again I'll offer my contrarian hippie defense of open-toed shoes. As long as there's no ice or snow on the ground, you could go barefoot and your feet would be perfectly comfortable. It's what they were designed to do.

Also, she's very pretty.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:55 PM) : 

ooohhhh im lovin her south sea pearls!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:01 AM) : 

I WANT that bag!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 AM) : 

"If you're cold enough to wear fur, then you're cold enough to close your toes!"

Could not agree more...otherwise she looks lovely

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:13 AM) : 

as a resident of both cities, i can assure you philly has no style could be a great city except philadelphians are too conservative and many of the great stores closed or moved to chestnut hill nj where the money shops. philly retail is a pale imitaion of ny 10 years behind. And could use help but no reason for you to rush back

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 AM) : 

Very observant! I am from The Main Line, I am in the DAR and I am also in The Jr League. The fur is a custom Jacques Ferber a la Audrey Hepburn in Charade. I have great feet so I wear open toe all year round. And I have 2 young boys and am 35 so I would not be caught dead in "skinny jeans".

PS I am not wearing make up. I just came from a Tracie Martyn facial!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

I like the "mainline young DAR look" myself. It's classic, timeless and not likely to be bitten. The pearls are things of beauty.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 PM) : 

"Personally my skin tone is a kind of pale blue, any ideas?"

Yes... tons! In a nutshell, though, think: blended, subtle, blue tones, and rose tones.

We happen to have the same skin tone, hair, eyes, and I've been trying to figure this out for myself (inspired by all the beautiful people on your blog). So here's what I've been able to figure out...

You have blue undertones, so you want to choose colors that complement that coloring. So opt for cool (blue-based) colors rather than warm (yellow-based) ones. You have a light coloring so you don't want to wear intense colors. For the darker shades, that means go with muted colors such as grayed navy, blue-grays, rose-browns, burgundys. For lighter colors, again you don't want vivid, or icy colors. Pastels are flaterring... pinks, sky blues, light lemon yellows.

I've been surprised to realize that pure white or pure gray don't like good on me (I assumed neutrals worked for everyone!) I've replaced these colors with soft white and blue-grays to much better effect.

Oh, and almost all blues work, except for extremely bright or royal blues. And grayed navy is better than regular navy (can be too contrasting with your skin). Oh... and rose tones also work well with pinkish-blue skin. And wine and lavender and orchids and mauve (my new favorite)! Oh... and taupe too! I gasped with delight when I saw the Cantarelli suit. Would look great on me/us :)

Stay away from blacks, browns and beiges (other than rose-browns and rose-beiges which look great).

I was previously (3 months ago) completely clueless about this stuff... but learning about color has been really life-changing... One book I highly recommend to any guys wanting to learn more about this kind of stuff is "Color for Men" (Don't laugh! Its really helped this clueless guy start to figure this stuff out.)

Love the blog. Ciao.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:44 PM) : 

Scott, ever thought of coming down to DC? I know its seen as conservative and stuffy and is full of tourists, but I think you might be pleasantly surprised!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:24 PM) : 

A fur sweater! I agree with the first Anon. It needs a slimmer pants, looks all too heavy/burdened down. Thank goodness for that yellow handbag, a light at the end of the tunnel.

Forget Philly, fly to Zurich this time of the year.....style is born there.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:30 PM) : 

Now here in Central California, the look wouldn't be complete unless she was wearing at least toe rings - well, maybe three. . .

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (8:10 PM) : 

I think she looks adorable, although her close up pic is so much nicer - maybe the heavy coat is swamping her beauty?
love the retro inspired look and her hair and makeup is perfect for her pale complexion! Pale is the new tan I think!!

pale blue complexion?? maybe you are a 'Winter' ...you'd probably u suit Icy pastel colours, all tones of gray, navy and other royal blues, whites.. keep away from browns, olives, autumn shades...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 PM) : 

Re the pale blue skin -- a pink shirt flatters all caucasians past the first blush of youth and it wasn't too girly for my dad. Looks good on people of other races, too. If pink is too much for you, a dark red scarf looks good with every style of overcoat and is masculine enough. Remeber how ppopular this color was in the eighties?

If you want to play up the blue skin, there's always orange (joke.)

Valerie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:01 AM) : 

I used to live in the Philly burbs (now I am in the Pocono Mountains), but I can assure you that Philly has style. Did you hang out around Rittenhouse Square or Society Hill?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:15 PM) : 

Hi Sartorialist,

I work at F.I.T. and I love your site--it's so nice! And so informative...

I think you missed the boat in Philly, though. What that city has contributed in terms of style is found not in its upscale boutiques, in the old city or even on the main line, but down in its subways, where puffy jackets, funky color combinations, and unique proportions rule. There is nothing "haute" about the city, but the more ghettoish looks (highly influential, and if you visit the current show at the Museum of the City of New York, "Black Style Now," you'll see how amazing they can be) are SO Philadelphia...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:00 PM) : 

wow! she is beautiful! that is beauty not those anorectic models that weigh 50lb. and again.. wow!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:39 AM) : 

yeah, wear red. The american flag is great for color theory. Or Jasper Johns. Whatever.
Lena

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:50 AM) : 

Her beauty eminates from the neck up. She definitely knows how to enhance her coloring . . love the jewels!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 PM) : 

While I like the idea of what she was wearing . . something just doesn't look right. I think everything needs to be more fitted. Also, who wears an open toe shoe with a fur top??? Something is askew.

 

Blogger AL said ... (1:05 AM) : 

She's drowning in all that fur. Her best asset, the skin. Love love lovely...

 

Blogger Cindy said ... (9:18 AM) : 

Someone said it, I second it: Third Street and Old City. Also, Penn Campus.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:45 AM) : 

You should come down to Temple University when the Fall semester starts and I can guarantee that you will definitely enjoy our sense of style, it will be like stepping into another world. Our professors are the best dressed in the city.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting