This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Sartorialist on Style.com

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Saturday, September 23, 2006

The Sartorialist on Style.com

I am in the airport now - only one and a half days in London. I got some great women's shots but the mens I have to hold onto for GQ.

I also just received the final list of show i will be attending in Milan and Paris
Wow, it is like my Christmas shopping list!

The good thing is that most of the show are either very early or later afternoon which gives me plenty of time to walk around the streets of both cities. I will also have a driver available sometimes which will make it easier.

I have to say I was so pleased with how many of the people I met in London already knew my blog. It is still crazy and great to be spotted while I'm shooting and have someone say hello or nice work.

I have to get my thoughts together but we have to talk about this whole Savile Row thing and what the future will bring to that famous street. I have to admit I'm not too misty eyed about seeing it evolve. The retail scene surrounding it is so dramatic that there is no excuse for them not to have anticipated rents rising. A few like Kilgour and Gieves have adjusted and new guys like Spencer Hart are making a name but is it too little too late?

Comments on "The Sartorialist on Style.com"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:17 PM) : 

I find it dissapointing to see commerce cashing in on the cachet that saville row has built with long standing traditions and craftsmenship. Without this tradition, and the history of the strip would so many companies be rudhing to set up here? It is like other areas where the creative and innovative move in because of cheap rents - only to have big business ride in on the back of their creativity and force rents up and the people who made the area so valuable in the first place out.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:20 PM) : 

The thing about Saville Row is that bespoke tailoring is a perfect example of a modern business that need not rely on location to thrive. People don't window-shop for bespoke suits and shirts. Ultimately, the great English bespoke houses can survive in new locations and cheaper rents. The success of Thomas Mahon, who built his presence through his blog and travels regularly to visit clients in the states, is a perfect example of a modern business model for Saville Row.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting