This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Question From The Sartorialist Email - Slim Shorts For Men

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Question From The Sartorialist Email - Slim Shorts For Men

I have not done this before and I'm not really an advice guy but I often get emails asking style questions so I thought it would be fun to post this one.



Dear Sartorialist
I love your blog TS. It's just wonderful! It's really a gift!

Can you help me. I'm trying to find men's shorts that are tapered like Italian slacks. Thin in the leg instead of the ridiculous blouson shorts made by every single American manufacturer (and many European ones as well). I buy most of my suits/pants at Eredi Pisano. They have shorts in their catalog but you can't get them here. Burberry's has some thin ones but they are only so so. Borrelli's are wide (surprising). Any ideas?


Dear Reader
I don't know where to find truly tapered shorts (some of the madras seem a little more slim if you like madras) but shorter shorts are on the horizon which will have a more slimming effect.

Think tennis shorts - I saw a few editors in Europe during the mens shows doing it and I'm now seeing realistic versions in the showrooms.

Here is a guy at the Junya Watanabe show wear the shorter short successfully
Photo courtesy The Sartorialist on men.style.com

Thanks for the question, I hope it helps.

Do any of the readers have a suggestion on slim shorts?

Comments on "Question From The Sartorialist Email - Slim Shorts For Men"

 

Blogger Vesper Lynd said ... (6:57 PM) : 

well, short shorts only work if you have amazing legs like that guy - my dad has some tennis shorts circa 1984 that are white lacoste, which are awesome, but shirt shorts are harder to dress up. I was going to suggest Burberry, but The Sartorialist seems to cover it well! Good response.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:06 PM) : 

Why not purchase a pair of fabulous tapered pants, hold your breath and send them to a great tailor? You could have them taken to any length you desire. My partner is notorious for doing exactly that and manages to look splendid in his slim shorts.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:07 PM) : 

I believe some of the shorts made by the brand Modern Amusement are cut slimmer/tapered.

And, as TS said, shorter shorts are on the horizon - streetwear brands have gone from baggy fitting pants to slimmer fits, so their shorts are starting to follow suit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:09 PM) : 

patrik ervell does slim shorts

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:16 PM) : 

Maybe your tailor could slim them down for you. There were some slim shorts from Jil Sander for S/S; but, I haven't been in the boutique for about 2 weeks and I am sure that now all of the S/S merchandise has moved out for the F/W.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:32 PM) : 

A friend of mine likes to wear that style of shorts. He finds most of his at second-hand clothing stores. But he's also bought similar shorts from L.L.Bean, they're called "Bayside Twill Shorts, Plain Front" and come in three different colors.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:38 PM) : 

Find a good tailor and have him or her taper the legs to your specifications. It shouldn't cost a great deal and you will have what you want!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:38 PM) : 

I'm generally turned off by guys who wear shorts, esp. this short. It seems a little pretentious--look at my great legs, etc. Few guys can pull it off...too much skin for my taste.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:51 PM) : 

S/S 06 ... Miu Miu

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:57 PM) : 

My Rosasen Plaid Shorts are rather slim.
I take a 34. The outseam is 34" and the bottom layed out flat is 11" wide.

Nice sale here...

http://www.clarksregister.com/prodinfo.asp?number=226611

Also, I think Fred Perry and Penguin have some slim shorts.

 

Blogger Rebecca said ... (8:06 PM) : 

I agree with the tailor plan.

AND ... just today I thought I saw a guy wearing short shorts. It turned out to be a mirage, but it's time. It's coming. It's inevitable.

AND ... one cannot sag the short shorts. (Insert picture of me with happy face. Oh yeah, I've never shown my face.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:13 PM) : 

I just bought some Engineered Garmets grey wool pinstriped shorts that are reasonably tapered. Try Saks or Odin (where I bought mine)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:41 PM) : 

Thom Browne does have a fair number brilliant long/slim cut shorts. (And no,I'm not talking about TB's full length pants that are often mistaken for shorts- that's a joke people).

I too, am a big proponent of being fearless and cutting down pants and altering the hell out of them. A while back, I was a Sarto subject wearing bright yellow shorts, which were indeed cut down from pants. I also alter those excessively baggy board shorts. I don't want to look like I'm wearing culottes on the beach. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

 

Blogger Travis Trott said ... (10:42 PM) : 

i don't have the budget for the designer shorts, which seem to make them slimmer. what i have done is bought the standard american short and had them tapered. it's not costly (for the shorts or the tailoring) and you get it customized to your leg and preference. i had some gap shorts that were hideously wide and had them taken in. i love them! as for tennis shorts, Lacoste is the only way to go. very few men would look bad in them.

 

Blogger Casey MacKenzie Johnson said ... (12:48 AM) : 

I say go with the shorter short. They were all over the runways this season. (Check out Gucci!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 AM) : 

What about all the bermuda shorts we've been seeing this season? Theory came out with ones that are quite slim. In any event, the guy's better hurry, because judging by what was shown during Milan Men's Fashion week I doubt we are gonna get slim shorts next season.

 

Blogger Fnarf said ... (2:47 AM) : 

Penguin's shorts are not horrible (that's how low the bar is these days). Dare I say it -- I'm wearing a pair of Lands End 6" chinos, which are maybe too short for some people's tastes but are at least not huge baggy below-the-knee atrocities. "Tennis short" is about right.

 

Blogger Claudio Moro said ... (3:53 AM) : 

I am not a friend of shorts. It often looks very ridiculous. ;-)

But: The taylor plan is best. Tennis shorts are okay, too. But only with a shirt with long sleeves. And take care of the shoes - a heavy thing found the right shoes to wear.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:48 AM) : 

I think these shorts look too sporty. He looks like he's on his way to play tennis, whereas I think the Reader wanted something to wear all day around town. My vote is for tailoring.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:32 AM) : 

for a cheaper choice, can try MUJI's shorts, they are pretty slim and they've got black, gray and white.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 AM) : 

I'm a big alterations man, almost everything I buy I still have altered just to get the fit right. I've done this to shorts, taper the leg and raise the hem a bit. I like that in between a bermuda or tennis short length. I must say that you featured a guy in yellow shorts a while back that had the perfect length and cut. If you had legs like his then you're good to go. Good legs are a must for short shorts.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:45 AM) : 

i take all my shorts to the tailor to be slimmed. it has really worked for me.

wearing them feels great too. you don't feel like every other tom, dick and harry. feels a bit 50s retro. hope this helps!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:32 PM) : 

Short shorts for men : at the beach, playing sports , at home ...
sexy !!

In the city ? Naaaahhh....c'mon !!

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (3:25 PM) : 

Have some wide ones tailored?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:53 AM) : 

Hermes shorts are usually tapered and shorter than usual.

 

Blogger City Slicker said ... (12:34 PM) : 

Slim and tailored goes for shorts as well as rest of men's fashion.
Chcek out my post on Cityslicker called 'Thou Shalt Not Wear Socks' to give you a few ideas.
City Slicker London

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:44 AM) : 

I do not know where to find them,other than have those hideous baggie overlong shorts tailored and show those great physiques that you guys have been working on...thank goodness they are on the way back..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:47 PM) : 

Can anyone recommend a good tailor in the west village capable of pulling this off?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:17 PM) : 

Hong Kong Tailor Jack has a store front on Waverly Place just off 6th Ave... across from Joe's Coffee(great coffee)does nice work and very reasonable. Don't let his saggy thread bare sweater with pin cushions all over it scare you...he also does great custom work.

 

Blogger JK++ said ... (5:28 AM) : 

american apparel has (or had, when i was in n.y. this may) short n' slim tennis-esque shorts, if you're not afraid of showing some skin they might work.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 PM) : 

topman has really cool slim fitting shorts for men... or they did last timei went in whcih was about a month ago... and tey had amazing indigo colour ones. so try there?? i went with my male friend trying to convince him to buy some... sadly he remained unconvinced.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:09 PM) : 

I don't know if anyone is reading this, but I recently bought some really comfortable and slim fitting shorts at H&M. They are great for dressing the up or just wearing casual.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting