This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street... 9th Ave. , NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, March 23, 2006

On The Street... 9th Ave. , NYC

Comments on "On The Street... 9th Ave. , NYC"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:55 PM) : 

lots of trips to barneys and an expensive dye job does not style make.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (6:59 PM) : 

sounds like someone above is a hater!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:03 PM) : 

I totally back that comment. anyone rich can look like this; its not style, its money.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:14 PM) : 

I agree, I'm not impressed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:22 PM) : 

I'm finding that look a little obnoxious as well. She's a little Beverly Hills (I'm in L.A.).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:31 PM) : 

it is a bit random choice. You can see she's in a hurry anyway. :)

 

Blogger ML said ... (7:42 PM) : 

the cut of the coat as well as the enormous pyramid studs (initially startling) actually make for great outerwear.

however, i think the leggings are a miss.

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (7:56 PM) : 

Personally, I'm so over leggings.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (8:23 PM) : 

I think the leggings are the best part - watch, they are making a big come back.

 

Blogger la femme said ... (8:46 PM) : 

I like her outfit a lot (she looks a little bitchy just because she is rushing by on a cell phone). The studded, long cuffs on the jacket are unique and interesting, and the black leggings/light pumps combination looks great. The Sartorialist is right- the leggings are going to be very popular this spring (beats opaque tights)- I'll be sick of them in a few months, but for now, thumbs up.

 

Blogger la femme said ... (8:49 PM) : 

I am done with the Chloe Sliverado bag though. C'est finit...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:53 PM) : 

sartorialist i usually agree with you 100% but not on this one.

leggings made their comeback about 2 years ago, and now they are so over for now, at least. isn't it obvious... even abercrombie started selling them!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:55 PM) : 

I hate the wide bottomed coat over ultra slim legs look a lot of these women have. It makes them look so dainty, pedantic and high-maintenance.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:04 PM) : 

If I had the money I would have the bag and coat. The fit is excellent. She looks nice. I know where I can get a longish coat that suits my budget...I think I need it right now.

Question: who should wear leggings?

I like the leggings, but do you think this is for the young ladies? I have seen lace and solid leggings worn under a longish skirt. Perhaps all ages could wear that.

As a not young lady, I would perhaps wear this with a knee lengthtskirt and boots, or slim black pants and black heels.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:13 PM) : 

I think we have only begun to see leggings and tights done right by woman older than 16 - this last weekend NYT had a great photo essay by Bill Cunningham on the legs of Paris!

maybe more than leggings I think the leg will be an even more important focus than it has been in a while

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:08 PM) : 

Thank you, Mr. S., for answering my question.

I did see the photo essay you mention. I did not relate it to this photo, but it does relate. Those were also excellant photos. I always thought opaque hose looked great - navy, black, brown. And this is very affordable fashion.

So perhaps for the lady of a certain age (my age?) the coat could been worn with black tights and black high heeled shoes and a knee length skirt.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (6:19 AM) : 

ok, you got me - girls of 19 years or older

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

I saw leggings re-emerging shortly after the Ugg explosion, so that would be about, um, 4 to 5 years ago. And these would be on my female contemporaries (I'm 31), not teenyboppers. Done, done, done. And didn't like the re-emergence of the look to begin with. And how does it go: "If the NYT features it, the trend has been dead and buried for at least sizx months?"

In any case, I feel that the look is not at all well balanced. Sorry to have to add to the hate.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:37 AM) : 

And I was so thrilled about my recent purchase of KD leggings and warmers.....

But worn with biker boots not leopard print heels.

 

Blogger jean thief said ... (11:30 AM) : 

leggings are done!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:48 AM) : 

Love the coat, I think it's perfect but I am so "eh" on the leggings. Is it fair to say if you've done this trend (leggings) the first time around can you or should you do it again??? I have to admit I did the leggings under skirts & dresses years ago circa the 80's.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:50 AM) : 

Sartorialist! I dying to see more of the high-maintenance look! I love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:37 PM) : 

There is something very obnoxious about her look. It's so ostentatious. I think if you took this outfit and put it on someone else it might be better. But I agree that she does leggings right. I like them.

Dear Mr. S, thanks for the women's looks lately. They are great!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:27 PM) : 

For me it's not so much about the jacket (which I'll admit I think looks a little silly on her), it's the way she's carrying herself. She's all slouched over to lean into her phone conversation, and it looks to me like if I could see the photo in motion, she'd be wobbling around on those heels. For me, it's about style and grace... she's almost there.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:30 PM) : 

Leggings are not "done" they are "dormant"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:24 PM) : 

As much as I love thee Sartorialist, I must disagree with you! Leggings have reached saturation among the fashion flock--we can now see them sold at H&M, Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters, which I think reflects a mainstream trend. I do agree however, that the leg is a big focus this season. Opaque Tights and stockings are seeing a huge resurgence. Leggings though? Meh.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:48 PM) : 

i don't think it's an issue whether leggings are over or not - i mean, wouldn't most people here agree that great style is timeless? - but rather just how it works in this particular situation. i agree that the leggings just don't work with the jacket. and the jacket looks a bit big on her. and finally, when it comes to the fancy leathers/skins, the jacket PLUS bag PLUS shoes is overkill.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:47 PM) : 

i don't have anything against what this woman is wearing. what bothers me is the cell phone. i still think it looks pretentious when walking and talking on the phone at the same time.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:53 AM) : 

I think this woman looks good - but in a very mainstream way. Mr Satorialist, I prefer your more edgy photos.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:00 PM) : 

of course she's in a hurry...she just spent 3 hours at the hairdressers.

going over the archives again and again...

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting